What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (2 Viewers)

If you believe, like I do, that Chip Kelly was brought in here specifically to run his offense-not adapt it to personnel-then I don't see how Foles is on the Roster week 1. That being said, its hard to get rid of a capable pocket passer that only costs you approx. $550,000 per year.

If Luke J is number 1 on our draft board, trading Foles to KC may lock him up as the #1 pick so I don't think its a no brainer.
This was my first thought as well, suprised not more discussion on this.I was hoping Andy would do something dumb and draft Geno #1 and push guys down to us.(But now that he's gone and can screw us in the draft he'll probably turn into a draft genius)

For you guys following college football and player draft stock, where would you slot Foles into the 2013 class?

For you guys following college football and player draft stock, where would you slot Foles into the 2013 class?
With the additional year under his belt, I'd say he's above Barkley at least. About on par with Glennon. Smith still higher just for the potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Insein said:
'Deamon said:
'Insein said:
'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
I would hold him up for nothing less than that 2nd rounder.
KC picks first though, so a 2nd rounder is pretty much like a very late 1st. No way we get that for him. I'd be happy with a 3rd, only because it's the first pick of the 3rd round.
I wouldn't do it for that. He's worth more as a cost controlled backup for the next 3 years.
I'll say it now... Dixon will be the #2 before Foles...Foles does not fit what Kelly wants..... SO if you sit on him this year... what do you possibly think you could get for him next year??? If someone would pony up a 2nd or 3rd for Foles, I'd be all over it.... And I like Foles.... but he isn't what Chip wants..... We wouldn't have resigned Vick... signed Dixon..... yes there has been some nice things Kelly has said... that is to keep his value.. Kelly can't come out and say he isn't what I want or he loses all value..... The point is.. yes he has a nice cap hit, and could be a serviceable backup.... but you can't have a backup that runs a complete different offense.... Washington and Seattle run base offenses that both QB's can run..... When RG3 went down they took out the pistol and read option packages..... We won't be able to do that here..... This isn't anti-Foles or anything like that... he just isn't the fit with the system now... IF they can get a 2nd or 3rd I think he is GONE.... I can't see Andy ponying up 2.1 for him though.. Wish he would, but just can't see it....

'Insein said:
'Lehigh98 said:
With the additional year under his belt, I'd say he's above Barkley at least. About on par with Glennon. Smith still higher just for the potential.
I'd concur with this assessment....

'Insein said:
'Deamon said:
'Insein said:
'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
KC picks first though, so a 2nd rounder is pretty much like a very late 1st. No way we get that for him. I'd be happy with a 3rd, only because it's the first pick of the 3rd round.
I wouldn't do it for that. He's worth more as a cost controlled backup for the next 3 years.
I'll say it now... Dixon will be the #2 before Foles...Foles does not fit what Kelly wants..... SO if you sit on him this year... what do you possibly think you could get for him next year??? If someone would pony up a 2nd or 3rd for Foles, I'd be all over it.... And I like Foles.... but he isn't what Chip wants..... We wouldn't have resigned Vick... signed Dixon..... yes there has been some nice things Kelly has said... that is to keep his value.. Kelly can't come out and say he isn't what I want or he loses all value..... The point is.. yes he has a nice cap hit, and could be a serviceable backup.... but you can't have a backup that runs a complete different offense.... Washington and Seattle run base offenses that both QB's can run..... When RG3 went down they took out the pistol and read option packages..... We won't be able to do that here..... This isn't anti-Foles or anything like that... he just isn't the fit with the system now... IF they can get a 2nd or 3rd I think he is GONE.... I can't see Andy ponying up 2.1 for him though.. Wish he would, but just can't see it....
I guess we'll see. I just don't see Kelly as a guy that is married to one system. He's changed his system to fit who he's had at every stop he's been at.

Give me Foles over any QB in this class.
:rolleyes:
Call me crazy but I'd honestly take him over everyone but Geno.
Ok crazy but really I don't see what everyone else does I think at best he is a mid tier guy like a Brad Johnson. Someone like Palmer is probably his ceiling and that's being generous. He doesn't fit Kelly's system and to have Kelly adjust a whole system for just Foles is nuts because the rest of the team fits his system. I believe Foles has to be dealt this year because he will only lose value in the up coming years. I think he going early 4th round to someone like the chiefs or bills

Pre-combine position rankings for 2013 NFL Draft+SHAREBy Mike MayockPublished: February 15, 2013 at 6:50 PMModified: February 16, 2013 at 2:37 AMWith the NFL Scouting Combine beginning on Feb. 23, Mike Mayock unveils the first of his position-by-position rankings for the 2013 NFL Draft.QUARTERBACK1. Geno Smith, West Virginia2. Matt Barkley, USC 3. Mike Glennon, NC State 4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 5. Landry Jones, OklahomaRUNNING BACK1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama 2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin 3. Andre Ellington, Clemson 4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina 5. Marcus Lattimore, South CarolinaWIDE RECEIVER1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee 2. Keenan Allen, Cal 3. Terrance Williams, Baylor 4. Tavon Austin, West Virginia 5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana TechTIGHT END1. Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame 2. Zach Ertz, Stanford 3. Gavin Escobar, San Diego State4. Travis Kelce, Cincinnati5. Jordan Reed, FloridaCENTER1. Travis Frederick, Wisconsin 2. Brian Schwenke, Cal 3. Barrett Jones, Alabama 4. Khaled Holmes, USC 5. Braxston Cave, Notre DameGUARD1. Chance Warmack, Alabama2. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina 3. Larry Warford, Kentucky 4. Kyle Long, Oregon 5. Brian Winters, Kent StateTACKLE1. Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M 2. Eric Fisher, Central Michigan 3. Lane Johnson, Oklahoma 4. D.J. Fluker, Alabama T-5. Menelik Watson, Florida StateT-5. Justin Pugh, SyracuseDEFENSIVE END1. Bjoern Werner, Florida State2. Damontre Moore, Texas A&M 3. Ezekiel Ansah, BYU 4. Sam Montgomery, LSU T-5. Datone Jones, UCLA T-5. Margus Hunt, SMUDEFENSIVE TACKLE1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida 2. Star Lotulelei, Utah3. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri 4. Sylvester Williams, North CarolinaT-5. Kawann Short, Purdue T-5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio StateOUTSIDE LINEBACKER1. Dion Jordan, Oregon 2. Jarvis Jones, Georgia 3. Khaseem Greene, Rutgers 4. Barkevious Mingo, LSU 5. Arthur Brown, Kansas StateINSIDE LINEBACKER1. Alec Ogletree, Georgia 2. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame 3. Kevin Minter, LSU 4. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina 5. Kiko Alonso, OregonCORNERBACK1. Dee Milliner, Alabama 2. Xavier Rhodes, Florida State3. Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State 4. Desmond Trufant, Washington 5. Jordan Poyer, Oregon StateSAFETY1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas 2. Matt Elam, Florida 3. Johnathan Cyprien, Florida International4. Eric Reid, LSU 5. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame

Ok crazy but really I don't see what everyone else does I think at best he is a mid tier guy like a Brad Johnson. Someone like Palmer is probably his ceiling and that's being generous. He doesn't fit Kelly's system and to have Kelly adjust a whole system for just Foles is nuts because the rest of the team fits his system. I believe Foles has to be dealt this year because he will only lose value in the up coming years. I think he going early 4th round to someone like the chiefs or bills
When people keep describing the QBs in this class as "a poor man's Blaine Gabbert" or "a poor man's Christian Ponder", a Palmer-like ceiling doesn't sound so bad.

Kelly has to adjust his whole System regardless of who starts 2013+. I read a old draft report on Tom Brady a few weeks ago. The 9ers brought him and a few other QB's in for a workout. They ended up ignoring Brady completely because he didn't fit their system and ended up drafting Giovanni Carmazzi. Carmazzi never played a snap in the NFL because of injuries. Hindsight says don't dismiss Tom Brady because he doesn't fit your system, Instead design your system too fit Tom Brady. By no means will I ever confuse Nick Foles with Tom Brady. But if Chip Kelly is stubborn about having a QB to fit his system then how great of a offensive mind is he? Can you count on him being able to adjust in game/in season/ in the future if his system is figured out? If he trades a young promising pocket passer like Foles for a mid-round pick then I'll all but dismiss this marriage. If he went to NE would everyone scream trade Brady? No. Kelly could be blowing smoke, but what I hear he isn't one tracked minded about his offense. Hopefully I didn't get the wrong impression. One thing a lot of analyst have been ignoring is that it isn't easy to find a QB who can run the read option to perfection like RG3/Wilson/Cam/Kaepernick. Just like it wasn't easy to find a Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Luck in the past. It will be interesting league-wide to see how many teams chase after the next great read option QB, it won't be as easy as many think. 

One thing a lot of analyst have been ignoring is that it isn't easy to find a QB who can run the read option to perfection like RG3/Wilson/Cam/Kaepernick.
Assuming you want a running QB who can truly threaten the defense if he gets loose I think there have been only a handful in the last fifteen years:Daunte CulpepperCam NewtonRussell WilsonMichael VickColin KaepernickRobert GriffinVince YoungTerrelle Pryor

One thing a lot of analyst have been ignoring is that it isn't easy to find a QB who can run the read option to perfection like RG3/Wilson/Cam/Kaepernick.
Assuming you want a running QB who can truly threaten the defense if he gets loose I think there have been only a handful in the last fifteen years:Daunte CulpepperCam NewtonRussell WilsonMichael VickColin KaepernickRobert GriffinVince YoungTerrelle Pryor
No a true duel threat. I'm hesitant to put Cam/Kaep with Russ/RG3 but I wanted to stretch the list a little.

'Insein said:
'Deamon said:
'Insein said:
'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
I'll say it now... Dixon will be the #2 before Foles...Foles does not fit what Kelly wants
Im really tired of your ignorant posts.Please for the love of god compare Foles to the QBs that CK had at UNH. Please please please please

Kelly has to adjust his whole System regardless of who starts 2013+. I read a old draft report on Tom Brady a few weeks ago. The 9ers brought him and a few other QB's in for a workout. They ended up ignoring Brady completely because he didn't fit their system and ended up drafting Giovanni Carmazzi. Carmazzi never played a snap in the NFL because of injuries. Hindsight says don't dismiss Tom Brady because he doesn't fit your system, Instead design your system too fit Tom Brady. By no means will I ever confuse Nick Foles with Tom Brady. But if Chip Kelly is stubborn about having a QB to fit his system then how great of a offensive mind is he? Can you count on him being able to adjust in game/in season/ in the future if his system is figured out? If he trades a young promising pocket passer like Foles for a mid-round pick then I'll all but dismiss this marriage. If he went to NE would everyone scream trade Brady? No. Kelly could be blowing smoke, but what I hear he isn't one tracked minded about his offense. Hopefully I didn't get the wrong impression. One thing a lot of analyst have been ignoring is that it isn't easy to find a QB who can run the read option to perfection like RG3/Wilson/Cam/Kaepernick. Just like it wasn't easy to find a Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Luck in the past. It will be interesting league-wide to see how many teams chase after the next great read option QB, it won't be as easy as many think. 
Hindsight is a great thing but you don't draft a mid round guy you think is average at best and say lets change our system and see how he does. I have no idea how Kelly really feels about Foles but if he doesn't see anything special move on and get guys you think are either special or fit what your trying to do. I think Kelly is smart enough if he has to change some things he can but I rather him only do that IF he has to. I think a lot people think you need to run like RG3 or Vick to run his system but that's not true you just need some athletic ability like a Alex Smith. I'm in no way saying I want Alex and I'm not even saying Foles isn't mobile enough as fact I just don't see it and I don't think Foles is worth changing your system for.

Your making a list of running Qb's I don't think you have to be a pure runner to run Kelly system you just have to be able to move some. Alex SmithAndrew LuckJake LockerChristian PonderBlaine GabbartAndy DaltonJosh FreemanJason CampbellAaron RodgersByron Leftwitch I can list about 15 more who might have been a lot better if they had a system like Kelly's instead of being forced to play in a pure pocket passer offense

Kelly has to adjust his whole System regardless of who starts 2013+. I read a old draft report on Tom Brady a few weeks ago. The 9ers brought him and a few other QB's in for a workout. They ended up ignoring Brady completely because he didn't fit their system and ended up drafting Giovanni Carmazzi. Carmazzi never played a snap in the NFL because of injuries. Hindsight says don't dismiss Tom Brady because he doesn't fit your system, Instead design your system too fit Tom Brady. By no means will I ever confuse Nick Foles with Tom Brady. But if Chip Kelly is stubborn about having a QB to fit his system then how great of a offensive mind is he? Can you count on him being able to adjust in game/in season/ in the future if his system is figured out? If he trades a young promising pocket passer like Foles for a mid-round pick then I'll all but dismiss this marriage. If he went to NE would everyone scream trade Brady? No. Kelly could be blowing smoke, but what I hear he isn't one tracked minded about his offense. Hopefully I didn't get the wrong impression. One thing a lot of analyst have been ignoring is that it isn't easy to find a QB who can run the read option to perfection like RG3/Wilson/Cam/Kaepernick. Just like it wasn't easy to find a Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Luck in the past. It will be interesting league-wide to see how many teams chase after the next great read option QB, it won't be as easy as many think.
Hindsight is a great thing but you don't draft a mid round guy you think is average at best and say lets change our system and see how he does. I have no idea how Kelly really feels about Foles but if he doesn't see anything special move on and get guys you think are either special or fit what your trying to do. I think Kelly is smart enough if he has to change some things he can but I rather him only do that IF he has to. I think a lot people think you need to run like RG3 or Vick to run his system but that's not true you just need some athletic ability like a Alex Smith. I'm in no way saying I want Alex and I'm not even saying Foles isn't mobile enough as fact I just don't see it and I don't think Foles is worth changing your system for.
Public consensus usually doesn't lead to smart decisions. Chip Kelly is saying one thing and the media is basically calling him a liar. Foles being a 3rd pick in last years draft means absolutely nothing as of now if you are trying to evaluate his worth. That's like saying Jacksonville would only trade Gabbert for a #1 pick. The media makes it out like Foles crapped his pants as a starter, I beg to differ. Out of every rookie to ever play in the NFL Foles had the third highest completion percentage, the fourth best interception ratio, and the second highest yards per game(I'm sure my numbers are off a tad). You won't hear that on TV everyday. If you're going to trade a young player with a resume like that then you better receive a ransom in return off of upside alone, not a mid round draft pick. If you can't create a productive offense for years to come with a young player with a resume like that then you are not the next Bill Belichick. Foles happened to produce theses numbers as a rookie with a backup o-line, no experience at the skill positions, a horrible defense, and a lame duck coach. Most of those issues will hopefully change in a year or two. Trading Foles would be a huge mistake. What else does he need to do to shake the mid round qb label?

Your making a list of running Qb's I don't think you have to be a pure runner to run Kelly system you just have to be able to move some. Alex SmithAndrew LuckJake LockerChristian PonderBlaine GabbartAndy DaltonJosh FreemanJason CampbellAaron RodgersByron Leftwitch I can list about 15 more who might have been a lot better if they had a system like Kelly's instead of being forced to play in a pure pocket passer offense
Do you really think Locker Gabbert or Jason Cambell would lead you to a championship in any system?

I figured out over the weekend what bothered me about the Kelly press conference after the Vick move. They looked at his skillset to evaluate him? For a 32 yo veteran, seems like a safer play to look at his body of work and think you'll get that or less from him. Really hope there's no Alcoholic's 3rd Wife syndrome ("I can fix him") going on here.

There's value in competition if they're genuine about it, but really hope they're serious when they say they don't need a running QB.

The bubble that Vick built up in 2010 was based on completing an inordinate number of big plays. As that regressed to (then below) the mean over the last couple of years the ability to execute the fundamental parts of the offense weren't there to level out the numbers, so we died by the sword as well.

Looking forward to TC and the preseason to see how it plays out.

'Nagle2998 said:
I can list about 15 more who might have been a lot better if they had a system like Kelly's instead of being forced to play in a pure pocket passer offense
If you want to routinely send guys who run 4.7-5.0+ into the teeth of a modern NFL defense as an unprotected rusher feel free. I'd rather ask them to do something where they might not get killed.Again, I'm talking true read option here. Where the QB turning into a rusher is the threat that makes the whole thing go.

'Nagle2998 said:
I can list about 15 more who might have been a lot better if they had a system like Kelly's instead of being forced to play in a pure pocket passer offense
If you want to routinely send guys who run 4.7-5.0+ into the teeth of a modern NFL defense as an unprotected rusher feel free. I'd rather ask them to do something where they might not get killed.Again, I'm talking true read option here. Where the QB turning into a rusher is the threat that makes the whole thing go.
Nobody runsa true read option in the NFL because the QB gets killed. Case in point, RG3. There's a hybrid version of it where there's some read option and some pro scheme. To think that Chip is so narrow in his views on what his going to run for an offense has not seen the man in his college career. He adjusts to what he thinks can win. He will adjust to fit what he has and he will do it again when he gets another QB.

'Nagle2998 said:
'wdcrob said:
'ShaHBucks said:
Byron Leftwich???

APOn Monday, the two-week window for using the franchise tag opens. Every team can use the franchise tag (or the rarely-used transition tag) on one player.Last year, 21 teams took advantage of the franchise tag, which no longer is based on the five highest-paid players at the position but on a far more convoluted (and club friendly) formula.It’s not a coincidence. The new formula makes it much cheaper to keep a player off the open market than it would to pay him a multi-year market contract.Here’s a look at the team-by-team candidates for the 2013 tag, in alphabetical order.Arizona Cardinals: The Cardinals need to keep hard-nosed cover corner Greg Toler, but not at anything close to the eight-figure franchise number. No other pending free agents have the talent or potential to justify franchise money. Last year, the Cardinals used the tag on defensive end Calais Campbell; they eventually signed him to a long-term deal.Atlanta Falcons: Left tackle Sam Baker, drafted in round one the same year as the man whose blind side he protects, has had good years and bad years. After starting 16 games in 2012, Baker hits the market on a high note. Still, the glut of tackles in free agency and the draft will make it hard to justify tagging Baker; if he leaves, the Falcons can find a capable replacement after the market softens. In 2012, the Falcons used the tag on cornerback Brent Grimes, who tore an Achilles tendon in Week One. Tagging him would cost $12.48 million for 2013. It would cost nearly half that amount to tag safety William Moore.Baltimore Ravens: It’s not a question of if the Ravens will tag quarterback Joe Flacco. The only remaining unknown is the level of the tag. And while a lazy look at the situation would lead to conclusively presuming that there’s no way Flacco leaves Baltimore, there’s a chance (slim, but a chance) that the player and the team could be destined for a game of chicken that would result in both cars flying off the cliff. The Ravens could opt to go non-exclusive, daring Flacco to sign an offer sheet with another team — and assuming that he never would. Another team with plenty of cap space could easily craft a front-loaded offer sheet that the Ravens wouldn’t be able to match. It’s not likely, but anyone who thinks there’s no way Flacco leaves the Ravens hasn’t been paying close enough attention to the far crazier things the NFL has seen in recent years.Buffalo Bills: Jairus Byrd has become one on the best free safeties in the league. With George Wilson gone in a cap move, the Bills need to keep Byrd. Absent a long-term deal, the tag is the only way to make it happen. If a long-term deal can be negotiated, guard Andy Levitre becomes a candidate for the tag. The only impediment would be the fact that interior offensive linemen get the same franchise tender as tackles.Carolina Panthers: Their list of potential free agents contains no names that cry out for use of the tag, especially since the Panthers are still dealing with the sins of salary caps past.Chicago Bears: The Bears need to keep defensive tackle Henry Melton, but they’ve already got plenty of cap space tied up with defensive players like sackmaster Julius Peppers, cornerback Charles Tillman, and linebacker Lance Briggs. With Melton regarding himself as the best defensive tackle in the league, a long-term deal could be hard to come by. Despite his name recognition, linebacker Brian Urlacher isn’t a serious candidate for the tag.Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals are extremely careful with money. On defense, lineman Michael Johnson is the most obvious candidate to be tagged. It’s just as likely that the Bengals will be content to go bargain shopping (again) for defensive players to replace their bevy of free agents on that side of the ball, and then hope that defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer can whip up another batch of chicken salad. On offense, the tag could be used to keep Andre Smith, who quietly has overcome his notorious Jello run to develop into an elite right tackle. Last year, the tag was used on kicker Mike Nugent; tagging him again would cost only $3.48 million. Which could make him the most likely candidate.Cleveland Browns: Kicker Phil Dawson was tagged in 2011 and 2012. Using it a third time would entitle him to quarterback money. So if it’s used, it won’t be used on him. Punter Reggie Hodges is hitting the market after three years with the team. Though his performance doesn’t cry out “franchise tag,” it could be cheaper to squat on him for a year than to sign a replacement on the open market; that’s why so many punters and kickers have been tagged in recent years.Dallas Cowboys: Tagged last year at $10.5 million, linebacker Anthony Spencer still hasn’t had the kind of impact that he should, given that he plays across from DeMarcus Ware. Spencer isn’t worth $12.4 million for one more year.Denver Broncos: V.P. of football operations John Elway has said that the tag will be used on left tackle Ryan Clady, and for good reason. Last year, Clady turned down a five-year, $50 million deal.Detroit Lions: It’ll take $12.4 million to use the tag for a second straight year on defensive end Cliff Avril, and it won’t be easy for the Lions to round up the kind of cap space necessary to keep him around. Safety Louis Delmas doesn’t like being labeled as injury prone, but he is. And the Lions will have to decide whether they want to make a long-term or short-term (via the tag) investment in the guy who could be this decade’s Bob Sanders. Tackle Gosder Cherilus also could be tagged, but in a buyer’s market for tackles it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to do it.Green Bay Packers: Receiver Greg Jennings turns 30 in September. In other words, the Packers won’t be using the tag on Greg Jennings. The Packers learned while he was injured in 2012 that they can live without him, and they won’t be inclined to invest $10 million in cap space to a guy who plays a position that, with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, is virtually interchangeable. If the Packers wanted to keep Jennings, they’d be trying to sign him. They’re not, which likely means he won’t be tagged.Houston Texans: Last year, the Texans passed on tagging linebacker Mario Williams because of the exorbitant tender that the final year of his first-overall rookie contract would have generated. With linebacker Connor Barwin, much less cap space would be consumed. After seeing former Texans receiver Jacoby Jones deliver an MVP-caliber performance in the Super Bowl, G.M. Rick Smith may be a little less willing to let quality players walk away in 2013. Another possible (and cheaper) candidate for the tag is punter Donnie Jones.Indianapolis Colts: The man with the self-styled boomstick can be kept off the market for the low, low price of the punter/kicker franchise tag ($2.9 million). Absent a long-term deal, it’s hard to envision the Colts moving forward without punter Pat McAfee.Jacksonville Jaguars: A roster thin on star power naturally doesn’t create many franchise-tag candidates, especially with a new G.M. and (another) new coaching staff. If linebacker Daryl Smith didn’t miss most of the season, he’d be a potential candidate. Fullback Greg Jones would be a candidate, if fullbacks weren’t lumped in with running backs for franchise tag purposes.Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs are trying to work out a long-term deal with receiver Dwayne Bowe; if they don’t, it would cost $11.4 million to keep him around for a second season via the tag. But receivers are more plentiful than competent offensive linemen, and new Chiefs coach Andy Reid witnessed the hard way in 2012 the consequences of not having competent blockers. This reality makes tackle Branden Albert a more likely candidate to be tagged. Then there’s punter Dustin Colquitt, who like most punters and kickers could be cheaper to keep via the one-year franchise tag.Miami Dolphins: Tackle Jake Long’s rookie deal makes the cap number for tagging him way too high to justify, especially in light of the gradual decline in his play. With cornerback Sean Smith looking for big money, the best move could be to tag him instead of Long.Minnesota Vikings: G.M. Rick Spielman wants to keep road-grading right tackle Phil Loadholt. With left tackle Matt Kalil tied up via an affordable rookie deal, the Vikings can afford to pay Loadholt a large chunk of money for at least the next two seasons, before Kalil will be looking for his second contract. Whether that large chunk of money equates to the franchise tag for Loadholt is a decision the Vikings have to make in light of the realities of the tackle market — and within the context of the impact of the use of the tag on the expectations of receiver Percy Harvin. They’d also like to keep fullback Jerome Felton, but there’s no fullback franchise tag; they’d have to tender him at the running back level.New England Patriots: The Patriots have a trio of players who are potential candidates for the tag. Whether it’s receiver Wes Welker, tackle Sebastian Vollmer, cornerback Aqib Talib, or no one, it won’t be an easy decision. Welker would command $11.4 million, given that he was tagged in 2012. It would be a shock if they tag him. Vollmer has Marcus Cannon behind him on the depth chart, plus plenty of other tackles available in free agency. The Pats could be inclined to let Vollmer leave if someone else is willing to overpay him. Talib presents the biggest conundrum, given his positive impact on the team’s so-so defense. They need him, but he present plenty of risk given his history of off-field incidents.New Orleans Saints: Left tackle Jermon Bushrod is the most obvious candidate for the tag. But the Saints don’t have the cap space to spare. They easily replaced guard Carl Nicks with Ben Grubbs last year, and the tackle market is far more plentiful in 2013 than the market was for guards last season. Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis doesn’t project to nose tackle in the team’s new 3-4 defense, but he could be a candidate to play defensive end in Rob Ryan’s defense, if the Saints want to fork over the money necessary to keep him around. Things would get interesting if the Saints tag Ellis as a tackle despite a desire to move him to end, since there’s a $2.6 million gap between the two tenders.New York Giants: But for the likely existence of collusion in the restricted free agency market, the Giants should be thinking about tagging receiver Victor Cruz. Since teams have abandoned in recent years the pursuit of RFAs, there’s no reason for the Giants to double the compensation they’d get if someone else swipes Cruz. Left tackle Will Beatty becomes a candidate for the tag, along with safety Kenny Phillips. The cheapest of all would be tight end Martellus Bennett, who didn’t get the long-term deal he wanted a year ago in free agency, opting instead for a one-year stay in New York and another shot at the market.New York Jets: Safety LaRon Landry is the only guy who merits the tag, but his one-year deal from last year expressly prevents the team from using it. No one else who is due to become a free agent deserves it.Oakland Raiders: There’s a major problem with using the franchise tag on punter Shane Lechler, apart from the fact that the Raiders have landed in a salary cap black hole. While the franchise tag for punters and kickers will be an affordable $2.9 million in 2013, Lechler’s cap number last year was $4.9 million. Under the CBA, he’s entitled to a 120 percent raise over that number, which translates to a cap number of $5.88 million. It could be time for the much cheaper Marquette King, a converted receiver who has drawn comparisons to the monster-legged Reggie Roby. Either way, it’s hard to imagine that the cap-strapped Raiders would pay a punter twice the amount of the base franchise tag for punters.Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles don’t have many looming free agents, which means that they don’t have many candidates for the franchise tag. Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would be one, if he was, you know, better.Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers have said they won’t use the franchise tag. Which means that receiver Mike Wallace will hit the open market. Which means that someone will overpay him on the first day of free agency.San Diego Chargers: Look at their free agents. Though cornerback Quentin Jammer has been a mainstay in San Diego since 2002, he’s not worth what it would cost to keep him via the franchise tag. No one else with an expiring contract justifies the tag, which is one of the reasons why there’s a new G.M. and head coach.San Francisco 49ers: Safety Dashon Goldson doesn’t want to be tagged again, but what he wants and what he gets could be two different things. Absent a long-term deal, the Niners have to keep Goldson around — even if using the tag for a second time virtually guarantees he’ll hit the market in 2014. If Goldson gets a new deal, it’ll be interesting to see whether the Niners would use the tag on their second-string but highly versatile tight end, Delanie Walker.Seattle Seahawks: The ultra-low kicker tag of $2.9 million could be used to keep the strong-legged Steven Hauschka.St. Louis Rams: Receiver Danny Amendola has become one of the best slot receivers in the NFL, but his injury history and the eight-figure franchise tender for wideouts likely will scare the Rams away. Still, if Amendola hits the market, he won’t be there long.Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs plans to spend on keeping their own guys. When it comes to using the tag, it’s a toss-up between tackle Jeremy Trueblood and defensive end Michael Bennett, or neither.Tennessee Titans: The Titans reportedly are expected to use the tag on tight end Jared Cook, absent a multi-year deal. Kicker Rob Bironas also is a possibility, but he had a cap number of $3.675 million in 2012. Which means that the tag would cost the Titans $4.41 million in 2013, $1.5 million more than the base tag for kickers and punters.Washington Redskins: With $18 million in missing cap space, the Redskins can’t afford to use the tag. Especially since tagging tight end Fred Davis again would bump his 2012 tender by 20 percent — a year after he suffered a torn Achilles tendon. Punter Sav Rocca is a slim possibility, but even the $2.9 million will be more than the Redskins can justify with their cap situation.

"Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles don’t have many looming free agents, which means that they don’t have many candidates for the franchise tag. Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would be one, if he was, you know, better."That's a great line.

'Nagle2998 said:
'wdcrob said:
'ShaHBucks said:
Byron Leftwich???
I have no idea who can do what in what offense I never thought Trent Dilfer could win a SB but he did. If you look at Gannon in his early years I'm sure you would have said he is terrible he will never take a team to the SB. If I had to pick right now I think Locker, Ponder, and Gabbart have a better shot of taking a Chip Kelly offense to a SB then Mike Vick does. I also think Campbell was screwed in his early years with different head coaches and OC every year who knows what he could have done with one coach in a offense that was suited for him. I think sometimes a Qb is just hurt or helped a lot by what team drafts him and allows him to what he does best. As for Leftwitch even though some forget he looked very good his rookie season then he got injured almost every year after and not minor injuries season ending ones

Funny story. My 4yo daughter watches a cartoon called Doc McStuffins, she's a pretend doctor who's specialty is fixing toys. On this episode, she was examining a superhero toy called "Awesome Guy", whose ailment was being unable to move quickly because his legs were on backwards.You won't convince me there isn't an Eagles fan on that writing team.

'Nagle2998 said:
'wdcrob said:
'ShaHBucks said:
Byron Leftwich???
I have no idea who can do what in what offense I never thought Trent Dilfer could win a SB but he did. If you look at Gannon in his early years I'm sure you would have said he is terrible he will never take a team to the SB. If I had to pick right now I think Locker, Ponder, and Gabbart have a better shot of taking a Chip Kelly offense to a SB then Mike Vick does. I also think Campbell was screwed in his early years with different head coaches and OC every year who knows what he could have done with one coach in a offense that was suited for him. I think sometimes a Qb is just hurt or helped a lot by what team drafts him and allows him to what he does best. As for Leftwitch even though some forget he looked very good his rookie season then he got injured almost every year after and not minor injuries season ending ones
Saying a Qb needs to move some & then mentioning Leftwhich as capable is silly

'loose circuits said:
He forgot Kordell Stewart. Guys like him and Vince Young should be the rebuttal to any idea of making mobility anything more than a secondary consideration when evaluating QBs. If the guy can't execute in the passing game, whatever else he can do doesn't matter.

'loose circuits said:
He forgot Kordell Stewart. Guys like him and Vince Young should be the rebuttal to any idea of making mobility anything more than a secondary consideration when evaluating QBs. If the guy can't execute in the passing game, whatever else he can do doesn't matter.
:goodposting:

It is also pretty funny that we have lists of running/mobile QBs in the last 15 years and in the Philadelphia Eagles thread there is no mention of Donovan McNabb. Yes, somewhere between McNabb/Reid/whatever OC they got the idea that he should be a pocket QB but for a good chunk of his career he was very mobile and a great running threat. In his first six seasons he amassed about 2450 rushing yards in 85 games (30 yards a game) and totaled 20 TDs. His rushing numbers weren't gaudy, but it was definitely a threat that needed to be respected, and often allowed him to extend the play to become a more potent passing play that it would have otherwise been. How soon we forget...

It is also pretty funny that we have lists of running/mobile QBs in the last 15 years and in the Philadelphia Eagles thread there is no mention of Donovan McNabb. Yes, somewhere between McNabb/Reid/whatever OC they got the idea that he should be a pocket QB but for a good chunk of his career he was very mobile and a great running threat. In his first six seasons he amassed about 2450 rushing yards in 85 games (30 yards a game) and totaled 20 TDs. His rushing numbers weren't gaudy, but it was definitely a threat that needed to be respected, and often allowed him to extend the play to become a more potent passing play that it would have otherwise been. How soon we forget...
I think its funny that while we went from Cunningham to McNabb to Vick I'd hear some fans saying off and on through that time that we need to get away from the running QB's and get a big pocket passer and as soon as we do we're kicking him back out the door for another running QB.

I think its funny that while we went from Cunningham to McNabb to Vick I'd hear some fans saying off and on through that time that we need to get away from the running QB's and get a big pocket passer and as soon as we do we're kicking him back out the door for another running QB.
I can't speak for everyone but I'd say a majority of fans would like Foles as the QB for this year over Vick or Dixon.

I can't speak for everyone but I'd say a majority of fans would like Foles as the QB for this year over Vick or Dixon.
:goodposting:

For sure, I think everyone was on board with that until the Kelly hiring. I've been a big Vick fan, but this team needs to look towards the future and see if Foles is the real deal.

For sure, I think everyone was on board with that until the Kelly hiring. I've been a big Vick fan, but this team needs to look towards the future and see if Foles is the real deal.
I'm prepared to let Foles go to Andy Reid ( i really feel there is an interest there)and get a Qb that can really run kelly's offense. I'd be happy with Smith, Nassib, or Manuel to either step right in or backup Vick until Vick gets hurt, which is always a possibility. let's face it, new coaches want 'their" guys, if (and i suspect he can) kelly can dish off Foles to the Chiefs I really would not be upset with a scenario where the Eagles trade Foles, their number 4 pick and another draft pick or so to the Chiefs and select Smith number one. Again, that assumes a lot, perhaps he trades Foles for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and uses that pick and their second to move back into the first round and follow up their first pick with Nassib, or Manuel. No matter what happens, I just think Foles isn't going to get that chance here, i could be wrong. it's a system fit, and you have to believe the coach is going to bring in the guys that he feels comfortable with.

'loose circuits said:
First Kordell Stewart went to two AFC Championship games, a number one seed and won AFC offensive MVP yet he couldn't win a SB if the offense was taylor made for him yeah that sound like a great post. I would have added Stewart but I just did it off the top of my head and couldn't remember if he was drafted in the last 15 years. As for Leftwitch I never said he could run I just think he was pretty good at moving side to side I don't think Foles is but I have never been a huge Foles guy. I love posters who only add negative remarks it makes the boards so much better

I'm prepared to let Foles go to Andy Reid ( i really feel there is an interest there)and get a Qb that can really run kelly's offense. I'd be happy with Smith, Nassib, or Manuel to either step right in or backup Vick until Vick gets hurt, which is always a possibility. let's face it, new coaches want 'their" guys, if (and i suspect he can) kelly can dish off Foles to the Chiefs I really would not be upset with a scenario where the Eagles trade Foles, their number 4 pick and another draft pick or so to the Chiefs and select Smith number one. Again, that assumes a lot, perhaps he trades Foles for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and uses that pick and their second to move back into the first round and follow up their first pick with Nassib, or Manuel. No matter what happens, I just think Foles isn't going to get that chance here, i could be wrong. it's a system fit, and you have to believe the coach is going to bring in the guys that he feels comfortable with.
What?! Why would they trade up to #1 for a guy that shouldn't be drafted till the mid first round?

From what I've heard, only Manuel can really run the system Kelly ran at Oregon... We have too many holes on this team, we need BPA at all our spots, not to be reaching for QB

'loose circuits said:
First Kordell Stewart went to two AFC Championship games, a number one seed and won AFC offensive MVP yet he couldn't win a SB if the offense was taylor made for him yeah that sound like a great post. I would have added Stewart but I just did it off the top of my head and couldn't remember if he was drafted in the last 15 years. As for Leftwitch I never said he could run I just think he was pretty good at moving side to side I don't think Foles is but I have never been a huge Foles guy. I love posters who only add negative remarks it makes the boards so much better
I think Foles has OK (not good but OK) mobility he's just slow and there is a difference. You can't criticize his mobility if you're going to cite Leftwich and some of your other examples. Seems like you're stretching to justify what you've already decided.Not sure from the above if you're arguing for KS or against him but I always believed the Steelers succeeded despite him not because of. Like Vick early in his career the hype overshot his play by a long way. ESPN loves highlight plays, but that's not what wins games consistently.And if you think I only post negatively, you're not paying attention. I just disagree that mobility should be a big factor in evaluating quarterbacks.

This reminds me of before and after Mike Jordan dominated the NBA. Every 6'6 SG in college with a nice vertical gets tagged as the "next Jordan." The closest was Kobe and thats not even a fair comparison. Good luck finding that god-like QB that can run read option on a nfl level. Ill probably be a Foles fan where ever he ends up starting. Im dont thinking about the qb situation but his will be interesting.

'babydemon90 said:
From what I've heard, only Manuel can really run the system Kelly ran at Oregon... We have too many holes on this team, we need BPA at all our spots, not to be reaching for QB
That's why I am fine with not using our number 4 pick for a qb and using a second rounder (or a move back into the first round with other picks, maybe Foles compensation) and grabbing a manuel. Who would be unhappy if the Eagles grabbed a qb in the second round? Not me

'babydemon90 said:
That's why I am fine with not using our number 4 pick for a qb and using a second rounder (or a move back into the first round with other picks, maybe Foles compensation) and grabbing a manuel. Who would be unhappy if the Eagles grabbed a qb in the second round? Not me

:hey: I would.There are much bigger needs then trading Foles then just trying to replace him with someone you hope can do what he did. We basically need a whole new defensive backfield, possible an OLB (or two) and 2 DL if/ when we cut Jenkins.

'babydemon90 said:

:hey: I would.There are much bigger needs then trading Foles then just trying to replace him with someone you hope can do what he did. We basically need a whole new defensive backfield, possible an OLB (or two) and 2 DL if/ when we cut Jenkins.
and I think that's something the Eagles can address with a trade of Foles. If they get back a 3rd rounder for him (which is what it cost them last year) they'll essentially wash him with a 2nd round qb this year. Foles would have to learn kelly's system anyway, and he's not a true fit, so why anybody would be upset that Kelly would go in another direction makes no sense to me. I want him to get HIS QB to run HIS sysytem, and you have to see him addressing this in the first two rounds. He's an offensive genius, he'll address d as he goes along. the Eagles Offense and Defense were like 15th ranked last year, they both need improvement. Hey, if you're not excited that's too bad, I'm looking forward to the kelly eagles.

'babydemon90 said:

and I think that's something the Eagles can address with a trade of Foles. If they get back a 3rd rounder for him (which is what it cost them last year) they'll essentially wash him with a 2nd round qb this year. Foles would have to learn kelly's system anyway, and he's not a true fit, so why anybody would be upset that Kelly would go in another direction makes no sense to me. I want him to get HIS QB to run HIS sysytem, and you have to see him addressing this in the first two rounds. He's an offensive genius, he'll address d as he goes along. the Eagles Offense and Defense were like 15th ranked last year, they both need improvement. Hey, if you're not excited that's too bad, I'm looking forward to the kelly eagles.
So get rid of a QB who you have that is a known quantity and cost controlled and use a higher round draft pick on an unknown QB that may or may not be able to play in the NFL when we have all those other needs? Plus I love not agreeing with you equals not excited about Kelly's Eagles. If anyone that didn't agree with your asinine logic wasn't allowed to be an Eagles fan, then they'd have to move the team for the lack of a fan base.

'babydemon90 said:

So get rid of a QB who you have that is a known quantity and cost controlled and use a higher round draft pick on an unknown QB that may or may not be able to play in the NFL when we have all those other needs? Plus I love not agreeing with you equals not excited about Kelly's Eagles. If anyone that didn't agree with your asinine logic wasn't allowed to be an Eagles fan, then they'd have to move the team for the lack of a fan base.
A second round qb this year won't cost much more than foles does now, so I don't understand cost control. Foles is a known quantity? Not in Kelly's system. Kelly kept Vick for a reason, foles is not likely to start. Relax with the asinine logic comment, message board tough guy.We shall see what happens, I'm just going to say I'm happy to have Kelly as the coach and expect he'll make the right calls .

'eefflrat said:
'Insein said:
'eefflrat said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
'babydemon90 said:

A second round qb this year won't cost much more than foles does now, so I don't understand cost control. Foles is a known quantity? Not in Kelly's system. Kelly kept Vick for a reason, foles is not likely to start. Relax with the asinine logic comment, message board tough guy.We shall see what happens, I'm just going to say I'm happy to have Kelly as the coach and expect he'll make the right calls .
I'm the message board tough guy.
Hey, if you're not excited that's too bad, I'm looking forward to the kelly eagles.
And asinine logic is trading up to #1 to take Geno smith.
if (and i suspect he can) kelly can dish off Foles to the Chiefs I really would not be upset with a scenario where the Eagles trade Foles, their number 4 pick and another draft pick or so to the Chiefs and select Smith number one.

Users who are viewing this thread