What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

Mike Mayock's four weekend combine observations

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock ended his seven hours of NFL Scouting Combine coverage Sunday with a 30-minute media session at Lucas Oil Stadium. Here are the highlights of his weekend evaluations:

» Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher could be in the mix for the No. 1 overall pick. Mayock said he thought Fisher had already closed the gap on Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel at the Senior Bowl. He doesn't see much of a difference between the two, so if Joeckel is considered a possibility for the Kansas City Chiefs then Fisher should be too.

» West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith lived up to everything Mayock previously believed from film study. Consistency remains the problem. There's the potential to be a franchise quarterback with the good arm, mobility and accuracy. Mayock called Smith a very natural thrower and was happy he had the chutzpah to throw and compete, but still slots the quarterback in the range of the No. 20-32 picks.

"I want to bang the table because I want to like Geno Smith," Mayock said. "But there's just too many inconsistencies on tape for me to say that Kansas City or anyone that high should take him."

» Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson did well for himself Sunday. He ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash and showed the game speed he put on tape. Mayock called him smart, tough and quick. Robinson also caught the ball well and didn't have a single drop during the gauntlet drill despite nerve damage that affects his right hand. Pass-catching skills remain the biggest question, but he did well in that area during the workout.

» Mayock reiterated that 2013 should be a deep draft, though not sexy with four offensive linemen and two defensive linemen in his top 10. He put the over/under on first-round quarterbacks at two.

So, a great chance we can get either Joeckel or Fisher - I'll be thrilled with either one. Lock up an OT spot, worry about QB later. I don't know how I'd feel if we get Geno at #4... Would really hate to be in this same position 3 years from now....

So, a great chance we can get either Joeckel or Fisher - I'll be thrilled with either one. Lock up an OT spot, worry about QB later. I don't know how I'd feel if we get Geno at #4... Would really hate to be in this same position 3 years from now....
To be honest Lane Johnson may be a high one too. He's done very well this year and liked good this weekend. I'd still prefer an OT in FA and an all D draft.

What does the Star L and KC trade rumors of Alex Smith do to the draft projections? I'm starting to think it may be playing out this way... 1.) Joeckel2.) Thouthgt to be taking a rusher - probably scared of Jones, who's the best pass rusher, Bjern Werner? 3.) Also thought to be taking a pass rusher - Mingo? 4.) Does the heart scare mean its more likely we take Fischer instead of Star (Floyd also in the mix I think)? I don't think we take Floyd becasue we need a NT more than a DE in the 3-4 and I think he's too small to play the NT role.

'JAA said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
@SheilKapadia: Geno Smith runs 4.56, E.J. Manuel 4.62. As a point of reference, Kaepernick ran 4.53. Russell Wilson 4.55.
Im a huge homer, but PLEASE do not be upset of Phi drafts Geno with the 1.04. Ive watched him for 4 years and we could do A LOT worse.... side question for the Eagles fans here ...Would it be a complete meltdown to draft Tavon at the 1.04? Maybe trade down to the 1.12 for him? I kid I kid :tinfoilhat:
If we draft Geno at 4, it might be the shortest honeymoon ever for a coach. Didn't even make it to training camp. He'd have to win at least 10 games next year to justify taking a mediocre prospect that high.

What does the Star L and KC trade rumors of Alex Smith do to the draft projections? I'm starting to think it may be playing out this way... 1.) Joeckel2.) Thouthgt to be taking a rusher - probably scared of Jones, who's the best pass rusher, Bjern Werner? 3.) Also thought to be taking a pass rusher - Mingo? 4.) Does the heart scare mean its more likely we take Fischer instead of Star (Floyd also in the mix I think)? I don't think we take Floyd becasue we need a NT more than a DE in the 3-4 and I think he's too small to play the NT role.
I prefer Fisher to Star but I wouldn't be upset with either.

I prefer Fisher to Star but I wouldn't be upset with either.
Agreed.

'JAA said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
@SheilKapadia: Geno Smith runs 4.56, E.J. Manuel 4.62. As a point of reference, Kaepernick ran 4.53. Russell Wilson 4.55.
Im a huge homer, but PLEASE do not be upset of Phi drafts Geno with the 1.04. Ive watched him for 4 years and we could do A LOT worse.... side question for the Eagles fans here ...Would it be a complete meltdown to draft Tavon at the 1.04? Maybe trade down to the 1.12 for him? I kid I kid :tinfoilhat:
If we draft Geno at 4, it might be the shortest honeymoon ever for a coach. Didn't even make it to training camp. He'd have to win at least 10 games next year to justify taking a mediocre prospect that high.
With the potential for the QB's to drop we could potentially trade back into the late 1st if needed. Also I've never watched the kid from Syracuse, how does he compare to Geno? I like Manuel just from a homer perspective.

'JAA said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
With the potential for the QB's to drop we could potentially trade back into the late 1st if needed. Also I've never watched the kid from Syracuse, how does he compare to Geno? I like Manuel just from a homer perspective.
I would try to jump back up into the first if they are going to do that and still take a solid player at #4. I think if Nassib was their guy, they could get him at the 2nd rounder easily and maybe even the 3rd depending on the combine results. I don't see the Eagles taking him though because if Foles isn't their guy, Nassib isn't much faster or mobile than Nick.

I would try to jump back up into the first if they are going to do that and still take a solid player at #4. I think if Nassib was their guy, they could get him at the 2nd rounder easily and maybe even the 3rd depending on the combine results. I don't see the Eagles taking him though because if Foles isn't their guy, Nassib isn't much faster or mobile than Nick.
I wouldn't have had a problem with them taking a QB at the top of the 2nd or 3rd and having that guy complete with Foles. At least that way you're still looking at the future. If Vick wins the job (assuming the competition is legit) it doesn't tell us anything except that Foles wasn't the guy. I'd rather find that out by having him beat out by a young guy with a future.

'JAA said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
Im a huge homer, but PLEASE do not be upset of Phi drafts Geno with the 1.04. Ive watched him for 4 years and we could do A LOT worse.... side question for the Eagles fans here ...

Would it be a complete meltdown to draft Tavon at the 1.04? Maybe trade down to the 1.12 for him? I kid I kid :tinfoilhat:
Wow, you crazy

I want to see what 3-4 OLB's step up today. With the new about Star coming out I can't see him being a viable option at 4 unless he's cleared but even so there's a huge red-flag with him.I also want to see what Milner runs as well

I want to see what 3-4 OLB's step up today. With the new about Star coming out I can't see him being a viable option at 4 unless he's cleared but even so there's a huge red-flag with him.

I also want to see what Milner runs as well
IMO, I think a small trade down and snatching Milliner would be ideal. They need to hit the secondary HARD in the draft. I just don't see either OT as worthy of the hype they are getting. I could definitely be wrong about that though (and I probably am ;) )

I want to see what 3-4 OLB's step up today. With the new about Star coming out I can't see him being a viable option at 4 unless he's cleared but even so there's a huge red-flag with him.

I also want to see what Milner runs as well
IMO, I think a small trade down and snatching Milliner would be ideal. They need to hit the secondary HARD in the draft. I just don't see either OT as worthy of the hype they are getting. I could definitely be wrong about that though (and I probably am ;) )
I'm sure half of what we say and read is wrong but it's still fun :thumbup: I'm HOPING they get an OT and CB in FA and then just go all D with the first 3 picks- NT, OLB & Safety but not necessarily in that order. If Milner can put up 4.3 IMHO he beccomes a guy they HAVE to look at at #4.

@NFL_ATL: Oregon's Dion Jordan, at over 6'6", just blazed a 4.53 forty. Mayock suggested Chip Kelly could consider the edge rusher at No. 4 overall.I know he's supposed to have shoulder surgery but he HAS to be on the list at #4.

@RavensInsider: Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan, who ran 4.53 and 4.63 in the 40-yard dash, has drawn comparisons to 49ers star Aldon Smith from Mike Mayock

@RavensInsider: Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan, who ran 4.53 and 4.63 in the 40-yard dash, has drawn comparisons to 49ers star Aldon Smith from Mike Mayock
Is he an OLB? I'm assuming he is in a 3-4?
He is.I found this a little while ago about him and he's been of or around the top of everyone's list of 3-4 OLB's. The only drawback is that he has to have labrum surgery and will be out 3-4 months but the potential seems to be there.

Jordan signed with Oregon as a highly regarded prep tight end and only made the switch to the defensive side of the ball in the spring of 2010.

As a reserve defensive end for the Ducks in 2010 Jordan registered 33 tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss and two sacks.

To take advantage of his unique combination of burst off the snap and length, Oregon created a hybrid role for Jordan in 2011, lining him up as a stand-up pass rusher and moving him around to find favorable matchups. Demonstrating surprising fluidity for such a tall player, Jordan exploded for 13 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, each of which led the team, earning First Team all-conference honors from Pac-12 coaches.

In 2012, Jordan showcased his versatility to the nation against Arizona State, lining up on the line of scrimmage as a stand-up defensive end, in the box as a linebacker or in the slot, covering inside receivers. Yes - in the slot on receivers, a spot usually reserved for defensive backs.

Rarely asked to play with his hand in the dirt as a traditional defensive end, Oregon helped protect Jordan as a run-defender as he lacks the bulk to consistently set the edge against 300 pound behemoths. Jordan's long arms and vision, however, allow him to disengage from most blockers quickly and he plays with a high-revving motor, often pursuing the ball-carrier yards downfield.

Jordan's extraordinary physical tools will likely land him in the first round, now the question is how high?

Analysis

Strengths: Rare athleticism for his size with loose hips and smooth footwork to move naturally in any direction. Looks like a basketball small forward in football pads with his tall, long frame and flexible joints, looking comfortable in space.

Fluid change of direction skills in his transition, quickly redirecting. Very good first step with natural bend and closing burst off the edge to flatten to the quarterback. Active and doesn't quit. Uses his length well with violent hand use, using quick mitts to make it tough for blockers to combat them.

Physical striker to separate man from ball with the arms to easily wrap and finish. Fiery demeanor and has a good head on his shoulders. Good awareness and experience lining up all over the defenses' front-7, even spending time covering the slot receiver and dropping in coverage. Still growing and sky is the limit with his athletic potential.

Weaknesses: Lean and lanky body type. Needs to add bulk to his frame and get stronger, but there are questions about how much weight he can add to his body. Lacks dominant upper body power to win with his hands. Still learning his pass rush moves and needs to develop in this area.

Needs to stay controlled, often overrunning the pocket or his intended target. Lacks experience putting his hand on the ground and rushing from a 3-point stance. Lacks a natural position and will be viewed as a defensive end by some and a strong-side linebacker by others.

Still raw in a lot of areas and will need time to grow at the next level. Strong durability concerns with various injuries over his career, notably a tender right shoulder that plagued him much of 2012. Only average production at Oregon with just 14.5 career sacks

Compares to: Chandler Jones, DE, New England Patriots - Although Jones is stronger and a bit more polished at this point in his development, scouts see that type of potential for Jordan plus he brings much more position versatility and upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
INDIANAPOLIS — When Dion Jordan arrived at Oregon, he envisioned himself being a major contributor in Chip Kelly’s offense.But things don’t always work out according to plan.The Ducks ended up moving Jordan (6-6 1/2, 248) to defense. And after two seasons as a hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end, he now finds himself on the cusp of being a first-round pick.“I imagined myself running down the field, catching a bomb from Darron Thomas or [Marcus] Mariota, but things didn’t work out that way,” Jordan said. “You’ve got to adjust. I adjusted, and I took it and ran with it.“I understood that was the best opportunity for me to get on the football field. Coach Kelly and my position coach, Coach [Jerry] Azzinaro, they had a plan for me, and I stuck with it. Things worked out for the best for me.”There was a time when being a “tweener” would be viewed as a negative. But those days are over. Teams want safeties that can play center-field or come up in the box. And linebackers who can rush the passer and also cover tight ends.In that respect, Jordan has a lot of appeal. He’s lined up all over the line, rushed the passer and spent a lot of time in coverage, including on slot receivers.Asked if there’s one thing he wants to hang his hat on at the next level, Jordan said, “Pass rush. I feel like me lining up all over the field on defense just shows my athleticism, shows that I understand the game.“But my whole thing is getting after quarterbacks, and pass-rushing. That’s my number one.”The news out of Indianapolis is that Jordan is scheduled to have shoulder (labrum) surgery next week and is facing a three-to-four month rehab stint. He sustained the injury attempting an arm tackle during a 70-14 win over Colorado on Oct. 27, but still played in five games the rest of the way.“I’ve dealt with it,” he said. “I only missed one game last season. I feel like it shows my toughness. I finished the season. I stayed through with my team. And I made sure as a leader, and as a senior of our team, it shows that I’m willing to win and do what it takes to compete.”Kelly echoed those sentiments, saying Jordan had a special place in his heart.“I think Dion’s a special player. But he’s a special player not because of his physical qualities, but because of his intangible qualities,” Kelly said.Jordan’s projected rehab stint would likely keep him out until training camp. Then again, the team that selects him will probably be banking on his long-term upside anyway.“I kind of like Dion Jordan who I think is two years away from being an Aldon Smith-type player,” said NFL Network’s Mike Mayock. “He’s got frightening athletic skills, and he’s a year away. He would be a situational pass-rusher year one, and if he puts 20 pounds on, I think he’s going to be a perennial All-Pro. I really like the kid. But, again, that’s a little bit of a risk – reward. You’re betting on this kid two years from now.”Jordan said a lot of teams are projecting him to be an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He said he knows he needs to add more weight to his frame, but thinks he can play effectively at 250.As of this afternoon’s interview, Jordan had not yet met with Kelly. But the Eagles’ head coach acknowledged that he doesn’t have to do much homework on the players who were with him at Oregon.“I would think it would be an advantage, because we know ‘em,” Kelly said. “I can tell you what they’re like on the field, I can tell you what they’re like off the field, I can tell you what they’re like in the meeting room.”The Eagles will have a lot options with the No. 4 pick. If they believe in Jordan’s upside, he could find himself once again under the wing of Kelly and Azzinaro.“If that happens, then I’ll be glad to show up in Philly and do my best there,” he said. “But I’m not in control of that.”

From Schefter: And here come the changes in Philadelphia: Eagles have told DT Cullen Jenkins they plan to release him.
From an attitude and money standpoint it makes sense. Don't know who the options are on the DL now though...maybe if COle adds some weight he plays the other DE?

Dion Jordan impresses in NFL combine 40-yard dashBy Chris Wesseling Around the League WriterExcerpt:
NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock ranks Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan as the top outside linebacker prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft.After Jordan finished tied for third in the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.60 seconds Monday at the NFL Scouting Combine, Mayock suggested the player could be reunited with new Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly as the fourth overall draft pick."When I see (Jordan) play, I see a raw Aldon Smith," Mayock said. "He needs to gain 20 pounds (to fill out his 6-foot-7 frame)."Unlike Smith, Jordan excels in pass coverage. The question is if he can match Smith's disruptive pass-rushing ability.» The Eagles will have several options at No. 4, including Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd. One of Mayock's favorites, Floyd turned in a "phenomenal" 4.92 performance in the 40. "The way he goes from sideline to sideline reminds me of Warren Sapp a little bit," Mayock said. "Best three-technique in the draft. The only question is, 'How many snaps will he get?' "

@ZBerm: The Eagles are confident that Fletcher Cox is/will be a stud. One DL to watch is Cedric Thornton. A lot of people there were high on him

@GeoffMosherCSN: offset language in Jenkins deal, which I can confirm, similar to vick's original deal. Eagles won't owe $1.5M if CJ gets it elsewhere.

@RoobCSN: Mike Patterson follows Cullen Jenkins out the door. Eagles starting over at DT. Cox, Dixon, Thornton left on the roster.@JordanRaanan: Mike Patterson released as well by #Eagles. Was set to make $2.9M base this season. Great guy but at this pt production doesn't match salary

@RoobCSN: Mike Patterson follows Cullen Jenkins out the door. Eagles starting over at DT. Cox, Dixon, Thornton left on the roster.@JordanRaanan: Mike Patterson released as well by #Eagles. Was set to make $2.9M base this season. Great guy but at this pt production doesn't match salary
Man I feel bad for that guy. Hope someone picks him up or he banked enough money to have an okay life. As for our D-line, holy crap it's getting thin. I was starting to like the possibility of Fisher or even Milliner at the 4 spot, but now is it almost like we HAVE to go DT?

Man I feel bad for that guy. Hope someone picks him up or he banked enough money to have an okay life. As for our D-line, holy crap it's getting thin. I was starting to like the possibility of Fisher or even Milliner at the 4 spot, but now is it almost like we HAVE to go DT?
The 3-4 DL can usually be had in FA or later on in the draft so I'm not entirely worried. I really want to see what approach they take in FA and who else may be cut from other teams that could help us out.@ZBerm: Intriguing free agent DL to watch who can play in Eagles' expected system? Alan Branch.

From Schefter: And here come the changes in Philadelphia: Eagles have told DT Cullen Jenkins they plan to release him.
From an attitude and money standpoint it makes sense. Don't know who the options are on the DL now though...maybe if COle adds some weight he plays the other DE?
Graham should fit there, no? I think he's a good player - would love to see him starting, which might be another reason why Jenkins was let go.

I don't think Graham or Cole can be a 3-4 DE. They need to play OLB. And with Graham's speed, I think he's a guy you'd want standing up and rushing the passer.

Graham should fit there, no? I think he's a good player - would love to see him starting, which might be another reason why Jenkins was let go.
Would also love to see Graham start but I agree with Awful Waffle that he's a OLB in a 304 scheme as an edge rusher. I'm not sure where Cole fits though, does he still have enough speed to play OLB or does he gain weight to play the DL?

Unexpected that they let both of those guys so soon, they don't have enough bodies for offseason work / camp now, so expect some FA signings here.

Unexpected that they let both of those guys so soon, they don't have enough bodies for offseason work / camp now, so expect some FA signings here.
That and expect Star to be the pick unless top 3 take him.

@RapSheet: Why would Dee Milliner put off surgery to run at #NFLCombine? He knew he'd blaze. Just ran a 4.31 40. Wow. That's Top 5 speed there.

@RapSheet: Why would Dee Milliner put off surgery to run at #NFLCombine? He knew he'd blaze. Just ran a 4.31 40. Wow. That's Top 5 speed there.
Does he become a viable selection at 4 now? Especially with Asmougha and DRC gone. I may want him over Joeckel and Fisher now.

Does he become a viable selection at 4 now? Especially with Asmougha and DRC gone. I may want him over Joeckel and Fisher now.
He has to be in the discussion. Although this bothered me some;@JordanRaanan: I understand why people questioned Milliner's speed, runs so smoothly w/minimal movement. Impressive. Ball skills though looked like Nnamdi

My top 4 right now that I would be happy with would be Joeckel, Fisher, Star or Jordan.

And with Detroit sitting at 5 and needing a CB bad Millner MAY have helped us make a deal
Yeah, if they can nab a 3rd or 4th and still get who they want then what the hell. Only thing is trying to convince Detroit they'd pick Milliner, Lions also have a big need for DT. Don't see it happening.

Users who are viewing this thread