What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

'Plorfu said:
'Idiot Boxer said:
For the first time in forever, you will not hear me clamoring for a lineman in this year's draft. At least not early.
Clamor for something, though, please. It's fun to watch you when it doesn't happen. ;)
:lol:

WR and RB appear to be top needs on the offense. The big slow OL frames may necessitate a change with a probable zone blocking scheme looming. No aparent franchise RB in the 2013 draft and serious cap woes means Colbert should steal Shannahan's cheat sheet on draft day.Keenan Allen should get a serious look in RD 1Terrance Williams (could he fall to round 2?)Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson are very athletic OT who would work well in a zone blocking system. What??? Another early draft pick for the OL? OK not likely but has to be considered. The Steelers OL has been a hot mess lately. One more anchor to pair with Decastro and Pouncy could be what the doctor ordered. Kick Mike Molassis Adams or Gilbert inside to G. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers go D instead. 3-4 NT Hankins or Jenkins will be hard to pass up. PIT doesn't get an early pick very often and this talent rarely falls to the 20th pick and beyond.It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do to address the pass rush. A first round pick seems likely unless Colbert finds a gem or two who are going to be available late. Harrison' days could be numbered.

Chris Ivory is a RFA.Doubt he goes anywhere without a trade.If they don't grab a pass rusher in the first this year, I'll be a little surprised. As always, it'll depend on whose available, but I have to think they're drawing a bead on one of those something fierce. They already need more of them and may well end up cutting Harrison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Ivory is a RFA.Doubt he goes anywhere without a trade.If they don't grab a pass rusher in the first this year, I'll be a little surprised. As always, it'll depend on whose available, but I have to think they're drawing a bead on one of those something fierce. They already need more of them and may well end up cutting Harrison.
He's a RFA, but I think because he was undrafted there would be no compensation pick required. We could offer Ivory a contract and New Orleans would have the first right of refusal to match contract. (unlikely considering the depth NO has at RB)I could be wrong but I think that is how UDFA RFA's work.

He's a RFA, but I think because he was undrafted there would be no compensation pick required. We could offer Ivory a contract and New Orleans would have the first right of refusal to match contract. (unlikely considering the depth NO has at RB)I could be wrong but I think that is how UDFA RFA's work.
You are correct, sir ! I doubt he'll be tendered with Ingram, Pierre, and Sproles out there.

If they don't grab a pass rusher in the first this year, I'll be a little surprised. As always, it'll depend on whose available, but I have to think they're drawing a bead on one of those something fierce. They already need more of them and may well end up cutting Harrison.
I agree, mainly because this draft is very deep with pass rushers. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a guy like Ansah in the first round, who could theoretically play OLB or DE and then a guy like Khaseem Greene in the 2nd, who could slot well as an OLB or ILB. Some position flexibility would be nice as we have no idea what Harrison's future is or whether Worilds is ready/able to be a significant edge threat.

I like Ivory well enough. He runs violent....but that also causes him to miss time, even as a timeshare guy. Reminds me a bit of Marion Barber III. Productive/a slugger when healthy, but those healthy times became few and far between as he took more and more punishment. I doubt Ivory could be expected to miss less time as a more featured guy. That's my primary concern with him.If they can acquire him for a reasonable contract he's worth a shot. They'll need to install an extra hottub in the trainers room for him though, I'm afraid.

I agree, mainly because this draft is very deep with pass rushers. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a guy like Ansah in the first round, who could theoretically play OLB or DE and then a guy like Khaseem Greene in the 2nd, who could slot well as an OLB or ILB. Some position flexibility would be nice as we have no idea what Harrison's future is or whether Worilds is ready/able to be a significant edge threat.
I'm hoping for a healthy Dion Jordan to be their pick in one, as he's actually been utilized pretty heavily in coverage(for a DE anyway). I also agree they're likely going to go after more than one rusher this draft, albeit probably not back to back. Stranger things, etc, etc, of course.Personally, I think Worilds has looked, well, worlds better playing as the Sam instead of the Will. If Harrison is cut, do they attempt to make Woodley get un-fat and move him to the right? He's a liability in coverage and is rarely asked to cover anyway. May as well just put him on the side where all he'd ever be expected to do would be rush.But he has to get back his first step for that to be a viable option...and he needs to stay out of McDonald's for that to happen.

I like Ivory well enough. He runs violent....but that also causes him to miss time, even as a timeshare guy. Reminds me a bit of Marion Barber III. Productive/a slugger when healthy, but those healthy times became few and far between as he took more and more punishment. I doubt Ivory could be expected to miss less time as a more featured guy. That's my primary concern with him.If they can acquire him for a reasonable contract he's worth a shot. They'll need to install an extra hottub in the trainers room for him though, I'm afraid.

I'm hoping for a healthy Dion Jordan to be their pick in one, as he's actually been utilized pretty heavily in coverage(for a DE anyway). I also agree they're likely going to go after more than one rusher this draft, albeit probably not back to back. Stranger things, etc, etc, of course.Personally, I think Worilds has looked, well, worlds better playing as the Sam instead of the Will. If Harrison is cut, do they attempt to make Woodley get un-fat and move him to the right? He's a liability in coverage and is rarely asked to cover anyway. May as well just put him on the side where all he'd ever be expected to do would be rush.But he has to get back his first step for that to be a viable option...and he needs to stay out of McDonald's for that to happen.
I like Jordan too, but I'm scared that he's going to get swallowed up in the almost-inevitable run on pass rushers that's likely to take place once Moore, Werner, Jones, and Mingo all get grabbed in the first 9-10 picks. I think Ansah might stick around because he's so unbelievably raw that his bust potential will scare teams off picking in the top half of the round. Who knows, though - if he runs a sub 4.6 at the combine at his size, teams are going to start having visions of passing on Jason Pierre-Paul, and it only takes one GM to fall in love and he's gone like Keyser Soze.Agree 100% on Woodley. He's getting killed on his weight every time he posts on Facebook - it's pretty funny. I also suspect Harrison will be back at a greatly reduced salary. Call it a hunch.

Keenan Allen should get a serious look in RD 1Terrance Williams (could he fall to round 2?)
Considering what the Steelers have done with 3rd-6th round picks on WRs in the last few years, there's no way I want to see them use a premium pick on a WR. They could grab a WR like Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, or Tavon Austin later in the draft and get just as good a player. :thumbup:

Keenan Allen should get a serious look in RD 1Terrance Williams (could he fall to round 2?)
Considering what the Steelers have done with 3rd-6th round picks on WRs in the last few years, there's no way I want to see them use a premium pick on a WR. They could grab a WR like Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, or Tavon Austin later in the draft and get just as good a player. :thumbup:
Agreed although losing Wallace and possibly Heath Miller are huge blows to the Steelers passing attack.

Agreed although losing Wallace and possibly Heath Miller are huge blows to the Steelers passing attack.
Why would we lose Miller? did I miss some news? I thought he just restructured last year.

Why would we lose Miller? did I miss some news? I thought he just restructured last year.
I think he's referring to the injury. Had to have his ACL and MCL operated on and will likely start the season on the PUP list.

I think he's referring to the injury. Had to have his ACL and MCL operated on and will likely start the season on the PUP list.
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.
thats ok, ACP was the only one that was confused ;)

This looks like the perfect draft for us to be picking Top 20. Outside of the 3-4 OL guys, everyone else is on D and primarily pass rushers. While most of the mocks Ive seen have most if not all gone by our pick, youd have to think at least 1 would slide to us. Longshot certainly, but maybe because of the spinal stenosis Jarvis Jones is that guy. Then you have Ogletree and Vaccaro who are by far the best players at their position and have a good chance to be available at 17 and would be great picks as well Id think. Really worse case scenario is the "settle" for 1 of the NT's Jenkins, Hankins, or Williams. I dont see how they dont get a guy, or the guy, theyre very high on.Also, add another to the list of Ivory fans. I think he actually might be the best pure runner on NO's roster. Considering the position, I dont see how we couldnt afford him. I also wouldnt mind Wells or Blount but Id much rather get Ivory and I think he'd be cheaper anyway.

'JoeSteeler said:
'Godsbrother said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'AhrnCityPahnder said:
'Godsbrother said:
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.
thats ok, ACP was the only one that was confused ;)
Seems to be a common theme for me lately. :bag:

any news on the recovery of LB spence? i drafted him in a dynasty league and trying to figure out whether to hold him. i suspect he will be ready after the *brutal* injury but back to special teams play to get him on the field again. that leaves young guys like sylvester, carter and worilds with opportunities (especially with harrison having a meh season and posturing about his contract this offseason) maybe, right? any thoughts from homers about the LBS.

any news on the recovery of LB spence? i drafted him in a dynasty league and trying to figure out whether to hold him. i suspect he will be ready after the *brutal* injury but back to special teams play to get him on the field again. that leaves young guys like sylvester, carter and worilds with opportunities (especially with harrison having a meh season and posturing about his contract this offseason) maybe, right? any thoughts from homers about the LBS.
I would imagine Spence would be in conversation to start at ILB alongside Timmons if Foote were to get released/cut. Sylvester would be main competition (excluding any FA/draft acquisition).

I would imagine Spence would be in conversation to start at ILB alongside Timmons if Foote were to get released/cut. Sylvester would be main competition (excluding any FA/draft acquisition).
If Spence is healthy I think he has a pretty good chance at starting regardless of Foote still being on the team or not (Id be surprised if they outright cut him at this point unless its to re-sign him even cheaper). While I still like Sylvester, he's reached the point where I dont see him holding off Spence if he's indeed ready by preseason.As for saintfool's question, since Worilds and Carter play OLB they really have no impact on Spence starting or his playing time for this season. Similarly, Harrison's situation also has no impact, although I personally think he will be back despite the contract, possibly at a re-negotiated discount. Once he got over the knee injury/surgery, he was one of their best players on D with 5 sacks and 2 FF over the last 7 weeks.

Depending on what the market tells Mendenhall, maybe we shouldn't just give up on him. He is actually still in Pittsburgh right now. I'm not sure if he is working out at the facility though.

I personally think he will be back despite the contract, possibly at a re-negotiated discount.
Well, Harrison sez he isn't taking a paycut, soooo....yeah.I think we pretty much have to assume Harrison getting cut is as close to a fact as it can be without it actually being a fact yet. They flat out can't afford to keep him at his current cap number. If he won't restructure or play for less they have only one option.Other points: - Ogletree's recent legal/judgement issues probably gets him wiped right off the Steelers' board(and he was kind of a knucklehead to begin with, IIRC). At least for round one, anyway.- There are, indeed, quite a few good pass rushers in this draft. Not just the top tier, but a nice group of secondary guys too. I won't be surprised at all if the Steelers wind up grabbing a couple.- Safety is pretty deep too and the falloff from the "top" guy to the "middle" guys isn't a very large gap at all.- I don't think the Steelers have necessarily given up on Mendenhall, but given how the end of the season shook out he would have to be willing to play for next to nothing and be VERY contrite for the FO to seriously explore bringing him back. If they truly do switch to a ZBS they could find worse fits for it. I think his attitude is as likely to determine whether they'd consider bringing him back as anything he did on the field. I think they've made it pretty clear that they want to move on though. Still, weird junk happens.

Steve Breaston released by KC yesterday, wouldnt be surprised at all to see him come in for a visit, and maybe a contract for vet minimum. Lots of parallels considering Haley and also the fact that Breaston is a Pittsburgh kid.Wouldnt be a bad 4th-5th WR as a vertical threat and can help in return game.

Well, Harrison sez he isn't taking a paycut, soooo....yeah.I think we pretty much have to assume Harrison getting cut is as close to a fact as it can be without it actually being a fact yet. They flat out can't afford to keep him at his current cap number. If he won't restructure or play for less they have only one option.
I doubt that Harrison would have any problems with a restructure since it almost always means more guaranteed money. The problem is that it usually stretched out over a number of years to ease the cap hit. I doubt the Steelers want Harrison signed beyond the 2014 season.I don't think the Steelers have started talking to anyone yet and until they do start talking of course Harrison and his agent are going to say he isn't taking a pay cut. However once they do start talking Harrison may change his tune. I can't see him signing for league minimum but he might be willing to take a cut in order to stay in a comfortable situation.
Other points: - Ogletree's recent legal/judgement issues probably gets him wiped right off the Steelers' board(and he was kind of a knucklehead to begin with, IIRC). At least for round one, anyway.- There are, indeed, quite a few good pass rushers in this draft. Not just the top tier, but a nice group of secondary guys too. I won't be surprised at all if the Steelers wind up grabbing a couple.- Safety is pretty deep too and the falloff from the "top" guy to the "middle" guys isn't a very large gap at all.
Agree with all of the above.
- I don't think the Steelers have necessarily given up on Mendenhall, but given how the end of the season shook out he would have to be willing to play for next to nothing and be VERY contrite for the FO to seriously explore bringing him back. If they truly do switch to a ZBS they could find worse fits for it. I think his attitude is as likely to determine whether they'd consider bringing him back as anything he did on the field. I think they've made it pretty clear that they want to move on though. Still, weird junk happens.
I think the Steelers are going to let Mendy test the FA waters and let the market determine his price. Then, depending on what happens in the draft and Mendy's price, they might give him an offer. I could be wrong but I just don't see another team offering him too much considering his injury history and the baggage he brings.

Steve Breaston released by KC yesterday, wouldnt be surprised at all to see him come in for a visit, and maybe a contract for vet minimum. Lots of parallels considering Haley and also the fact that Breaston is a Pittsburgh kid.Wouldnt be a bad 4th-5th WR as a vertical threat and can help in return game.
He's also good friends with Woodley.

Great. He can take advantage of Woodley's standing reservation at Golden Corral.

Great. He can take advantage of Woodley's standing reservation at Golden Corral.
:lmao:

Ogletree's recent legal/judgement issues probably gets him wiped right off the Steelers' board(and he was kind of a knucklehead to begin with, IIRC). At least for round one, anyway.
Agreed, although I wish it wasnt the case. If he is still there at 17, without a doubt he is the safest player left to turn into a very good NFL player.

Steelers wont touch Olgetree.THey need to trim the fat off the roster. I know everyone love Hampton, Foote, and some other older players, but its time to draft or sign an ILB who can play. Big Casey can go, McClendon is a monster in waiting. Heyward and Hood have to step up. Woodley needs to get hungry for football again and not hoagies. Harrison and Worldis can keep it strong on the other side...in other words, why draft a DE or OLB when they have more pressing needs at ILB, Foote is a weakness.You can draft a safety, we know the 2 we got now are old and can be out for the season after 5 plays.Corner, do you trust Lewis? The Steelers will show how much they do soon, $$$.OL is good, solid, just have to remain healthy. Its a young OL(Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey....kids!)WR, weakness esp if Wallace is gone(soon wont be soon enough IMO). I just cant see 1st rd pick on a WR.RB, weakness, I think Dwyer can be 800 yard rusher, but obvious Tomlin doesnt like him that much. Redman is a nice #2, but not a #1. Lacy would be fantastic get.TE, old and injury, would like Ertz.So, in closing, Ertz would be nice, if Heath is 100% think something like Patriots with their 2 TEs. ILB is a need, just not sure can take Te'o 17th. Combine will determine his draft status. Lacy would be great. Vaccaro would be good but depth for now. So likely the Steelers will draft a DT or OLB who wont play this year. WE cant sign any FAs cause we are cap strapped. It might get worse before it gets better.

Steelers wont touch Olgetree.THey need to trim the fat off the roster. I know everyone love Hampton, Foote, and some other older players, but its time to draft or sign an ILB who can play. Big Casey can go, McClendon is a monster in waiting. Heyward and Hood have to step up. Woodley needs to get hungry for football again and not hoagies. Harrison and Worldis can keep it strong on the other side...in other words, why draft a DE or OLB when they have more pressing needs at ILB, Foote is a weakness.You can draft a safety, we know the 2 we got now are old and can be out for the season after 5 plays.Corner, do you trust Lewis? The Steelers will show how much they do soon, $$$.OL is good, solid, just have to remain healthy. Its a young OL(Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey....kids!)WR, weakness esp if Wallace is gone(soon wont be soon enough IMO). I just cant see 1st rd pick on a WR.RB, weakness, I think Dwyer can be 800 yard rusher, but obvious Tomlin doesnt like him that much. Redman is a nice #2, but not a #1. Lacy would be fantastic get.TE, old and injury, would like Ertz.So, in closing, Ertz would be nice, if Heath is 100% think something like Patriots with their 2 TEs. ILB is a need, just not sure can take Te'o 17th. Combine will determine his draft status. Lacy would be great. Vaccaro would be good but depth for now. So likely the Steelers will draft a DT or OLB who wont play this year. WE cant sign any FAs cause we are cap strapped. It might get worse before it gets better.
Ogletree is an inside linebacker. When did McClendon become a monster? Don't get me wrong he's an ok player but no monster.

Steelers wont touch Olgetree.THey need to trim the fat off the roster. I know everyone love Hampton, Foote, and some other older players, but its time to draft or sign an ILB who can play. Big Casey can go, McClendon is a monster in waiting. Heyward and Hood have to step up. Woodley needs to get hungry for football again and not hoagies. Harrison and Worldis can keep it strong on the other side...in other words, why draft a DE or OLB when they have more pressing needs at ILB, Foote is a weakness.
First off, Foote is a FA so he isnt even on the team at this point. I believe Hampton is also a FA. Really Colon is the only easy cut that has a large salary coming, possibly Keisel, but because of their situation Silverback will probably be cut as well if he doesnt re-negotiate his deal.Like I said a few posts up, its a shame that they will likely completely dismiss Ogletree as ILB is a big need and his bust risk is about as small as possible, but theyll do what they want. I dont feel too bad giving Spence a legit chance to start if thats the case. If they dont want Ogletree, then there isnt an ILB worth drafting in the 1st IMO. Theyll probably take one in the middle rounds, maybe even 2nd (still wish Mychal Kendricks was there for us last year).I like McLendon, but he isnt an above average NFL NT, maybe not even average one really. He looked good in the preseason, thats it so far. DT possibly for him, but not NT. With how mediocre Hood and Heyward have been, I wouldnt mind giving McLendon a shot at DE to be honest.

'pecorino said:
'Fiddles said:
this is all over talk radio in pittsburgh today. count me in as a breaston fan and a believer that he makes a lot of sense on this roster. ties to pitttsburgh, familiar with haley, team needs WR depth, won't break the bank. i see him as a possible WR#3 on a team weak at that position.
If we are considered weak at WR after presumably losing Wallace, its because we dont have a stud #1, not because we dont have the depth. I think Cotchery is a better fit for our offense as a #3 WR, and him and Breaston are a bit different types of WR, but when were talking WR3 vs WR4 its sort of splitting hairs anyway. Id like for us to sign Breaston, but only on the cheap. That link makes it sound like Breaston will get a lot of attention, but Im not so sure.

'pecorino said:
'Fiddles said:
this is all over talk radio in pittsburgh today. count me in as a breaston fan and a believer that he makes a lot of sense on this roster. ties to pitttsburgh, familiar with haley, team needs WR depth, won't break the bank. i see him as a possible WR#3 on a team weak at that position.
If we are considered weak at WR after presumably losing Wallace, its because we dont have a stud #1, not because we dont have the depth. I think Cotchery is a better fit for our offense as a #3 WR, and him and Breaston are a bit different types of WR, but when were talking WR3 vs WR4 its sort of splitting hairs anyway. Id like for us to sign Breaston, but only on the cheap. That link makes it sound like Breaston will get a lot of attention, but Im not so sure.
Breaston will come cheaply, he only had 7 catches for 75 yds last year, (granted he was in the doghouse) but still.If Breaston signs for anything more than veteran minimum & more than 1 yr I will be genuinely shocked.Breaston has a great relationship with Haley and would add more value in Special Teams than a situational WR in 3/4 WR sets.

'pecorino said:
'Fiddles said:
Breaston will come cheaply, he only had 7 catches for 75 yds last year, (granted he was in the doghouse) but still.If Breaston signs for anything more than veteran minimum & more than 1 yr I will be genuinely shocked.Breaston has a great relationship with Haley and would add more value in Special Teams than a situational WR in 3/4 WR sets.
Us signing Breaston makes so much sense I'll be surprised if it ends up happening.After looking it up, I was surprised to see he had over 700 yards for 4 years in a row (2008-2011), and the last 2 of those were without Warner. I agree that a lot of teams wont be hunting him down and anxious to sign him, but based on his production before last year, I actually think he should be getting more looks from other teams than it seems like he will.

So what round is Pitt drafting LeVeon Bell - RB - MSU in? 3rd? seems like a classic Pitt fit
I think a lot depends on what happens with Dwyer/Redman. If either/both of those guys remain with the team, I think Bell is somewhat redundant and they might look for more of a speed back to do what they hoped Rainey might. I think they might look hard at the local kid, Graham, or possibly Lattimore if he's still there in the 3rd.

Colbert said during pre-combine interview that all positions will be considered with 17 ovr pick. (no link sorry!)

'pecorino said:
'Fiddles said:
Us signing Breaston makes so much sense I'll be surprised if it ends up happening.After looking it up, I was surprised to see he had over 700 yards for 4 years in a row (2008-2011), and the last 2 of those were without Warner. I agree that a lot of teams wont be hunting him down and anxious to sign him, but based on his production before last year, I actually think he should be getting more looks from other teams than it seems like he will.
Ed Bouchette via Twitter reporting that Steelers and Breaston's agent (Eric Metz) will talk at combine regarding possible contract

Two other possible draft-day sleepers are another guy coming off a terrible injury history - Knile Davis, and Rutgers back Jawan Jamison. Jamison is a guy that reminds me a lot of Ray Rice, aside from the fact that they both went to my alma mater. Jamison lacks Rice's top-end speed, so he doesn't run away from tacklers like Rice did, but he's got a very similar build and running style - he uses his blockers well to set up and he stays low and grinds out extra yards. He's not really a "Steelers" type running back, but he's a guy that could be effective in the right offense. Davis is a guy I like more than most, his size/speed and his productivity in the nation's toughest conference are tough to overlook, but like Lattimore, the injuries are a major drawback.
In case anyone missed it, Davis tested through the roof yesterday. His injuries and his terrible senior year (3.4 ypc and 8 fumbles on 112 carries) are going to scare people off, but the kid was dynamite as a sophomore before getting hurt and between having to come back from injury after missing an entire year and the ####storm that was Arkansas football last year, there are possible reasons for this. Davis probably isn't getting drafted until the mid-rounds, but his measurables are ridiculous. 5'10" and 227 pounds and did 31 reps on bench and ran an official 4.37. That speed at nearly 230 pounds is a very rare size/speed combo. VERY rare.

Users who are viewing this thread