What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (1 Viewer)

Braves send Evan Gattis to Astros for three prospects. Gattis hit .263/.317/.493 in 401 plate appearances last season. Braves receive RHP Mike Foltynewicz, 3B Rio Ruiz, and RHP Andrew Thurman
Foltynewicz was a big prospect out of HS (top ten overall pick) but has had command issues. Ruiz had a nice year in the Cal League at age 20. Thurman seem s like just a guy.

John Hart's first offseason with the Braves has been very interesting but I like the haul they got for Gattis.

Braves send Evan Gattis to Astros for three prospects. Gattis hit .263/.317/.493 in 401 plate appearances last season. Braves receive RHP Mike Foltynewicz, 3B Rio Ruiz, and RHP Andrew Thurman
Foltynewicz was a big prospect out of HS (top ten overall pick) but has had command issues. Ruiz had a nice year in the Cal League at age 20. Thurman seem s like just a guy.

John Hart's first offseason with the Braves has been very interesting but I like the haul they got for Gattis.
I like Ruiz the most out of those three. Folty can be electric, but his command issues seem to point to a future in the bullpen.

I like Ruiz the most out of those three. Folty can be electric, but his command issues seem to point to a future in the bullpen.
A top draft pick ending up as a big-league reliever is kind of a failed outcome but only for the team that drafted him. The Braves have far less invested in him and can adjust expectations accordingly.

He's still 23, has a live arm and has been able to stay healthy. If he can improve his command, he can be a decent reliever. If he can do that and somehow establish a secondary pitch, he's a lot more valuable than Gattis is.

I like Ruiz, but he's likely blocked by Colin Moran, if Correa sticks at SS. The Astros are loaded with RHP prospects: Appel, McCullars, Feliz and Velasquez. They also bolstered their bullpen in FA this winter, so I don't know where Folty fits. If he is projected in the bullpen, the move to the Braves is likely good for him.

Gattis gives the Astros three RH power hitters with Springer and Castro. In that Minute Maid bandbox, they could hit 90 hrs. Not likely, but it could happen, if Gattis can stay healthy.

The Astros also have the #2 and #5 overall picks in the 2015 MLB draft, and 4 picks out of the first 50. There are a ton of pitchers available, like always. I like the pair at Vandy; Fulmer and Buehler.

Overall, I like this deal for both sides.

I like Ruiz, but he's likely blocked by Colin Moran, if Correa sticks at SS. The Astros are loaded with RHP prospects: Appel, McCullars, Feliz and Velasquez. They also bolstered their bullpen in FA this winter, so I don't know where Folty fits. If he is projected in the bullpen, the move to the Braves is likely good for him.

Gattis gives the Astros three RH power hitters with Springer and Castro. In that Minute Maid bandbox, they could hit 90 hrs. Not likely, but it could happen, if Gattis can stay healthy.

The Astros also have the #2 and #5 overall picks in the 2015 MLB draft, and 4 picks out of the first 50. There are a ton of pitchers available, like always. I like the pair at Vandy; Fulmer and Buehler.

Gattis, Springer, Castro and Carter should be good for 700 strikeouts or so. #gobbler

Gattis, Springer, Castro and Carter should be good for 700 strikeouts or so. #gobbler
:) Yeah, there's always that too. They are still a few years away from contending, but I like what they are doing.

The World Champions sign Norichika Aoki for 1/$4.7M. He's an upgrade over Gregor Blanco (offensively at least).

Castro is a lefty.

Eta: nm you probably meant Carter

The Strasburg fires are already lit on the rumor mills. I think they would be stupid to trade him even if they can't keep him for the whole of his career.

People always like to get on Boras when his clients don't sign right away or turn down huge money. There was a decent amount of backlash against Scherzer rejecting the huge Tigers offer of 6/144ish but he ends up with 7/180+ . Crazy money. The way he does business with his clients might not endear them to the fans or win any friends but he gets results.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the Red Sox doing? Seems like they've got to be in on at least one, if not two, or the available studs (Shields, Hamels, Zimm, Stras?)? There's no way they roll into the season with the current rotation and that over-crowded outfield.

What are the Red Sox doing? Seems like they've got to be in on at least one, if not two, or the available studs (Shields, Hamels, Zimm, Stras?)? There's no way they roll into the season with the current rotation and that over-crowded outfield.
I'm guessing one more smaller OF trade happens like Craig or possibly Victorino but not much more. The rotation doesn't look great but I've read from a few places like Fangraphs that it actually rates out as average to above average starting 5. It doesn't have the stud but at this point is would it surprise you at all if Porcello ended up having a better season than say Shields? Would you want to pay Shields his rumored asking price of like 125 million? Even 110 million?

Hamels has the no trade to the Red Sox so it basically makes Hamels value less for the Red Sox than say the Padres. For the Padres he is what a 4/90MM left, for the Sox I think it would end up being 5/110. So at this point it's would appear they have no desire to trade Swihart and Betts to the Phillies for Hamels and his 5/110 contract. Someone will have to budge for those two teams to make a deal, seems more likely Hamels gets moved to SD for like Hedges and stuff.

I'm guessing one more smaller OF trade happens like Craig or possibly Victorino but not much more. The rotation doesn't look great but I've read from a few places like Fangraphs that it actually rates out as average to above average starting 5. It doesn't have the stud but at this point is would it surprise you at all if Porcello ended up having a better season than say Shields? Would you want to pay Shields his rumored asking price of like 125 million? Even 110 million?

Hamels has the no trade to the Red Sox so it basically makes Hamels value less for the Red Sox than say the Padres. For the Padres he is what a 4/90MM left, for the Sox I think it would end up being 5/110. So at this point it's would appear they have no desire to trade Swihart and Betts to the Phillies for Hamels and his 5/110 contract. Someone will have to budge for those two teams to make a deal, seems more likely Hamels gets moved to SD for like Hedges and stuff.
Hard to imagine they'll fetch anything in return. Ive always assumed they'll move JBJ. He seems like the odd-man out with the most perceived value?

Bowden just posted this...

Hamels trade talks

The Boston Red Sox, San Diego Padres, St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers are not the only teams in the mix for Hamels, as teams such as the Blue Jays, Cubs, Astros and Dodgers also have kicked the tires -- at varying levels of interest -- and have stayed in touch with the Phillies this offseason.

The Red Sox and Padres are considered the front-runners for him because they have the best match prospect-wise for the Phillies. The Padres would be willing to include their top catching prospect, Austin Hedges, after acquiring Derek Norris, whom they control for four more years. A package of Matt Wilser, Hedges and possibly outfielder Hunter Renfroe should certainly be enough to land Hamels.

There have been reports that the Red Sox don't want to include Mookie Betts and Blake Swihart in a Hamels deal, and those reports are accurate. However, the Phillies aren't going to let any individual prospect or prospects stand in the way of a Hamels deal. They are flexible in the packages they're asking for in return, which helps the Red Sox, who have one of the deepest and strongest farm systems in baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread