What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Player/Team Spotlight -- New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2014 Team & Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. We are trying something different this year. We will still publish more than 100 PLAYER SPOTLIGHT articles on the main site. But we are going to solicit discussion on them in these TEAM threads.

Why the change?

NFL success is contingent on the sum of a team's parts. To think that a wide receiver succeeds simply because of himself would be foolhardy. What if a team has three excellent fantasy WR options (e.g., Denver with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Emmanuel Sanders)? Is a person's enthusiasm for a given player being properly offset against lesser expectations for one of their teammates?

Frankly, there was a lot of redundancy in former Spotlight threads. Asking you all to discuss the Giants new OC Ben McAdoo in threads for Eli Manning, Victor Cruz, Odell Beckham and Rashad Jennings seems inefficient. Now, in this new format, you can factor McAdoo (or any other team change) and it's impact on ALL the relevant skill players.

Thread Topic: New Orleans Saints

The NEW Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the fantasy relevant players in question, and your expectations for said players
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate
While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the relevant players on each team. We would note that it's important that your statistics makes sense. For example, projecting two running backs on the same team with 2,000 yards is an obvious gaffe. You might have three WR/TEs projected for 1,000+ yards, but that would be aggressive and a historical rarity. Back it up.

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
Recommended Players to Discuss:

• QB Drew Brees
  • RB Pierre Thomas
  • RB Khiry Robinson
  • RB Mark Ingram
  • WR Marques Colston
  • WR Kenny Stills
  • WR Brandin Cooks
  • TE Jimmy Graham
Each PLAYER SPOTLIGHT article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web, including intriguing pull quotes from this thread
  • FBG Projections

The Saints are a team I have followed closely for quite a few years now from a fantasy perspective, so I will give this a shot. I tend to start with team and player 3 year averages as a baseline start, then factor age/situation/team changes in philosophy and project from there. As a team, I see this being another same old/ same old year as far as offensive scheming goes, but with a couple of new names or second year guys taking a greater role. I think the loss of Sproles and to a lesser extent Moore hurts, but the addition of Cooks and maturation of Stills will help cover that.

QB: Drew Brees. Name says it all, no need to justify anything here. Plays every game, 3 year average of 5272 yards and 42.5 TD's. I do not see that changing much, but always tend to project just a touch low. I have Brees for another 600-650 attempts, 425-450 completions and around 5000 yards with about 40 TD's and another 1-2 rushing.

RB: Pierre Thomas: I see a solid workhorse RB that will see a slight uptick in work this year, though another 70 receptions will be tough to do. Thomas will be the main RB in the crunch situations, but they need to give other guys a shot too to see what they have. 140 - 575 - 3 rush and 65 - 450 - 4 rec.

Mark Ingram: I had great hopes for this guy coming out of college, but it has just never happened for him. I see about the same production from him this year and extra work will go to other guys. 125 - 525 - 4 rush and 10-65-0 rec.

Khiry Robinson: I see an uptick in work for this second year back, but I am not a huge fan for an unknown reason. Will be serviceable with his touches. 125-500-3 rush 10-60-0 rec.

WR: Marques Colston: Another year older, I see a little drop for him from his 3 year average as younger guys take on a greater role. 70-875-7.

Kenny Stills: I think he will step up slightly this year, but not much more than last year. 42-725-6.

Brandin Cooks: I LOVE him in this offense, but rookies can take time to pan out and learn a system like this. They will give him some of Sproles old looks as well as touches all over the field. 50-700-5 rec and maybe another 100 yds and a TD rushing.

I can see about 600 yards and 4-5 TD's spread among the likes of Joe Morgan, Meachem Watson (yes he is a TE but I will name him here) and others.....

TE: Jimmy Graham: A beast and the best in the game. I see another great season for him. 90-1200-13.

Since Sean Payton has taken over as HC for the Saints (2006) and of course Drew Brees at QB, the Saints have never finished lower than 6th in total offensive yardage in any season (even during Payton’s suspension). This includes 4 1st place finishes. In that time, they’ve had exactly one 1,000 yard rusher (Duece McAllister in 2006 – 1047). If NFL historians are looking for a place/reason for why the bellcow NFL RB has gone the way of the do-do, you need look no further than New Orleans.

Payton has always preferred to divide his RB’s (even WR’s) situationally versus by workload. What many people forget is that Darren Sproles averaged only 7 touches/game his final three seasons in SD (153 receptions). Payton upped that to 9.5 largely by making Sproles a WR who took his formation from the RB position (232 receptions) and caught passes around the LOS. As it applies to this years group though, with Sproles gone to PHI, who takes over that role? That’s one question to be answered by the Saints offense. The other is how the Saints can revamp a WR corps that looked old last year. When New Orleans lost the Beast Quake Game in 2010…it was shocking. But last year, by scoring 15 points in SEA…it felt like this was an offense that could no longer count on being able to put up points against anyone. Their 414 points scored was low by their standards and while some of that was due to the fact that they had a legitimate defense that didn’t force them to always be putting up 30-35 points/game, I think last year was a year of transition for the Saints offense.

1) They brought back a clearly diminished Robert Meachem to log 401 snaps for them.

2) 5th round rookie Kenny Stills logged 708 snaps.

3) New starting LT, Charles Brown fared poorly in replacing Jermon Bushrod and talented but raw rookie Terron Armstead wasn’t quite ready for prime time. Brown was allowed to leave in FA.

4) Personal opinion: I thought Darren Sproles had lost a half a step.

5) Lastly…Sean Payton was re-acclimating himself to being an NFL HC.

I don’t know if there are a lot of people sleeping on the Saints because they are always seen as an offensive juggernaut. But I can see the type of F-U type season coming from them knowing that the Panthers may come back to the pack and the Falcons and Bucs have their own issues.

Drew Brees – In 2011, Brees broke the single season passing yardage mark. He did it against the Falcons in a game the Saints ultimately won 45-16. When it was 38-16, the Falcons on their own 33 went for a 4th & 1…the type of thing you do when you’re down by 22 with 5 minutes to go in the game. They didn’t get it and when the Saints took over, Brees went ¾ for 32 yards and got the record on a TD pass. It was an F-U move to division rival and one that if the Falcons wanted to return the F-U, they should have fought harder. The moral of the story is that I’ve always thought the Saints and Brees were at their best when they were playing F-U football. And last year, their defense started to play F-U football. And for as much as you can say a 5000/39 season was understated, I felt Brees was a little more stoppable that usual last year. You stop Brees and you stop the Saints.

In losses

61.8% Completion Rate
6.4 YPA
7/7 TD:INT ratio

If you look at Jimmy Graham’s splits in losses, you’ll also see a significantly diminished stat line for him too. But in short, outside of Graham…the Saints really struggled to find other consistent targets. Brees made the most of what he had, but by seasons end, he nor Payton had a real answer. If we are being fair, aside of Graham, Brees has never had elite talent to work with at the receiver position. Colston has been the best he’s had and he’s a great dependable big target who is more a product of Brees and the Saints system than an elite talent. But with Stills having another year to develop, the Saints appear to like Nick Toon as a guy who can make a bit of a jump this year and their excitement about Brandin Cooks immediate impact seems genuine, I am very bullish on Brees having one of his best seasons ever, perhaps the type to punctuate a Hall-of-Fame career.

Pierre Thomas - Very quietly, Thomas put up one of his best seasons as a pro last year. His 77 receptions were a career high and as the season wore on, it felt like Payton felt more comfortable with Thomas in the game than Sproles due in part to Thomas being able to provide a little bit of a physical presence in the run game too. In the seasons final 5 regular season games, Sproles only played 119 snaps (to Thomas’ 163). The issue for Thomas has always been durability and one of his heaviest workload seasons wound up costing the Saints as come playoff time, Thomas was sidelined. Thomas is a player whose best and most predictably available when you limit his touches to 9-10/game. He has value in that role and with the talent the Saints have at RB, they should be in a position to not overwork him as he becomes more of a passing down RB, jack-of-all trades type.

Mark Ingram/Khiry Robinson – Alright. No looking. What was Mark Ingram’s YPC last season?

I was shocked to learn that it was 4.9! So the interesting thing about this draft season is that while Khiry Robinson’s draft stock has skyrocketed (RB41) based off 13 playoff carries where no doubt, he looked like a bull in a china shop…Ingram, who finally started to look like the 1st round RB he was drafted to be last season, has cratered at RB54 behind Knile Davis and two guys with career threatening neck injuries (Ahmad Bradshaw and David Wilson). I know…nobody is ever falling for Ingram’s ‘boy who cried wolf’ pre-season hype again where he was invariably overdrafted because no one ever seemed to believe Sean Payton when he promised to get/give work to all his RB’s. Now I’m not saying jump on board the Ingram bandwagon. But I probably am saying WhyTF is there a Khiry Robinson one? Ingram finally showed that he could run hard and effectively at the NFL level. His PFF Elusive Rating was 79.4 (very good). A lot was made of the Saints decision to not pick up the final year on Ingram’s rookie contract, but given the fact that the Saints don’t use workhorse RB’s and RB’s aren’t worth the $5.2M it would have costs the Saints, this wasn’t a surprise. Especially given their current and future cap situation. Yes, Ingram’s workload was significantly less than in previous seasons. But at the end of the day, when I look at Robinson’s draft stock at the moment, it feels like people are making the same mistake with it they’ve made with Ingram’s the last 2 years. Ingram will be a useful piece for the Saints this year and I suspect Robinson will as well. Together, they’ll kill each others FF ceiling but since Ingram is being drafted sooooo low, it’s Ingram who is the much better value bet.

Jimmy Graham – The worst thing that happened to Graham last year was playing New England. In that game, Belichick stuck Aqib Talib on him and effectively shut him down. Through the seasons first five games, Graham’s per game averages were:

7.4 Receptions
118.6 Receiving Yards
1.2 TD’s.

Understanding he was dealing with a foot injury as well, the remainder of the season, Graham averaged:

4.5 Receptions
56.6 Receiving Yards
.9 TD’s

No doubt he was hobbled, but Belichick found a ***** in Graham’s armor IMO. It’s telling that in two games against SEA, a team known for its’ big DB’s and physical play, Graham put up a paltry 4/50/1 line. With that said, not every team has a Belichick or Talib or Richard Sherman/Kam Chancellor/Earl Thomas/Bobby Wagner/etc…by which to throttle Graham. The good news for Graham is that on the surface, it looks like a lot of the teams won’t have the resources by which to really stop him from being dominant. Now he and the Saints will run into some turbulence during the seasons 2nd half as their schedule gets tougher from a defenses faced perspective. But the comment I’ll make about Graham is that I think 2013 may have been his ceiling. Graham averaged 10.8 targets/game during that first 5 game stretch with a 68.5% catch rate. That’s a good catch rate for a TE, but for one averaging 16 YPR…? Wow! Those last 11 games? 7.6 targets with a 58.3% catch rate. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle as far as what to expect from Graham. That's not to say his overall production will take a hit. I just think that he'll be more consistent in getting to his final numbers which means that the HUGE games he had at the beginning of the season won't happen as much.

Marques Colston – Colston has become a very boring FF player. Noone ever seems terribly excited to draft him. For such an explosive offense, he has quite a few non-descript games. Never a speed merchant his diminishing speed makes him seem that much less exciting for FFers. His longest reception last year was 35 yards. And yet his final 8 games, he put up 48/601/4. His foot issues are chronic. Statements of feeling good only mean something for that day. But once he got over his knee/foot issues last year, he was the same dependable guy in the Saints offense where Drew Brees is noted for distributing the ball around to marginal resources liberally. If the Saints can truly establish Brandin Cooks during the early part of the season, Colston will make a nice living ably helping the Saints move the ball down the field and catching his share of TD’s which promise to be plentiful.

Brandin Cooks – Granted that if there’s a team a young WR wants to wind up with, it’s New Orleans. But Cooks really hit the jackpot because his skillset is exactly what the Saints are looking for to bolster their aerial attack. As I mentioned above, I thought Sproles lost half a step last year. What made him so dangerous in the past was his lightning quicks and it wasn’t that he was slow, but teams were better able to deal with what he did for the Saints last year than ever before. Part of that was because Sproles always caught his passes at the LOS. In 232 receptions with the Saints he had 57 non-YAC. That means he caught his passes an average of 8.8 inches away from the LOS. Cooks is going to help the Saints attack down the field. If defenses bring up another defender, Cooks can dart in those passing lanes or split the seam and help with the big play aspect of the Saints offense while allowing them to also be the beneficiary of a speed merchant type player. I’m not going to predict the moon for Cooks in terms of production. But in terms of offensive philosophy, this changes the Saints much more dramatically than you may realize. It will help open up the power run game if they hit on a few early plays to Cooks.

Kenny Stills – With the exception of Keenan Allen, it’s possible that Stills turned in the best rookie season for a WR in 2013. Not bad for the16th WR taken. Certainly he became the deep threat in the Saints attack (6 of his 32 receptions came when the ball traveled 20+ yards). Brees completed 27 of these passes in 2013 so to catch 22.2% of them (compared with 6.2% of Brees passes 20 yards or less) showed that Brees developed some early faith in him. With the Saints now having two sub 4.4 guys, it’s clear that Payton hopes to put defenses back on their heels a bit in having to deal with the Saints upgrade in speed what with the jettisoning of Sproles and Lance Moore. Whether Stills can develop some of the route running capabilities that would make him more effective in the short-to-intermediate game remains to be seen. Payton seemingly has liked to exploit the special talents of his players…sort of a good to great methodology versus trying to get them to concentrate on developing more well-rounded skillsets. If that’s the case, Stills will have his consistency greatly limited but could showcase some hue outbursts here and there.

Predictions:

Brees – 442 Completions 661 Attempts 5360 Passing Yards 43 TD’s 13 INT’s; 29 Rushes 41 Rushing yards 1 TD.
Thomas – 93 Rushes 387 Rushing Yards 2 TD’s; 89 Receptions 606 Receiving Yards 3 TD’s
Ingram - 161 Rushes 711 Rushing Yards, 7 TD’s. 10 Receptions 45 Receiving Yards
Robinson – 152 Rushes 693 Rushing Yard 5 TD’s; 3 Receptions 8 Yards.
Graham – 92 Receptions 1296 Receiving Yards 12 TD’s
Colston – 87 Receptions 1110 Receiving Yards 8 TD’s
Cooks – 67 Receptions, 985 Receiving Yards 6 TD’s.
Stills – 42 Receptions, 743 Receiving Yards 7 TD’s.
Watson – 15 Receptions, 104 Receiving Yards, 4 TD’s.
Toon – 27 Receptions, 321 Receiving Yards, 3 TD’s.

I know this isn't really the point of the thread, but I am curious what was up with Graham the 3 times I saw him play last year. The first game he took a collar against NE, as the Pats put Talib on him all game and seemed to have someone else in the vicinity to help out. So a 0-0-0 game there. The next time I got to see Graham was against STL, and he didn't do much. 2-25-0 in that one. And the last time was in the playoffs where he caught one pass against SEA in the last 30 seconds of the game. So a 1-8-0 outing.

I obviously saw the great stat line over the course of the entire season, but I am curious why the three teams that covered him when I saw him play were able to shut him down almost entirely. It may have just been off weeks . . . or a sore foot . . . or good coverage . . . or who knows what. And shutting him down certainly has been much harder to do than it sounds. But part of me wonders if defenses will adapt and force Brees to utilize other assets to move the ball in the air and not just let Graham have his way as much. Anyone else with that concern?

I know this isn't really the point of the thread, but I am curious what was up with Graham the 3 times I saw him play last year. The first game he took a collar against NE, as the Pats put Talib on him all game and seemed to have someone else in the vicinity to help out. So a 0-0-0 game there. The next time I got to see Graham was against STL, and he didn't do much. 2-25-0 in that one. And the last time was in the playoffs where he caught one pass against SEA in the last 30 seconds of the game. So a 1-8-0 outing.

I obviously saw the great stat line over the course of the entire season, but I am curious why the three teams that covered him when I saw him play were able to shut him down almost entirely. It may have just been off weeks . . . or a sore foot . . . or good coverage . . . or who knows what. And shutting him down certainly has been much harder to do than it sounds. But part of me wonders if defenses will adapt and force Brees to utilize other assets to move the ball in the air and not just let Graham have his way as much. Anyone else with that concern?
Personally I think his numbers may go down a slight bit.

The Saints had yet another excellent season but it became obvious they were too dependent on Graham and Sproles. Well Sproles is gone and I don't think Brees wanted that.

They just did not react well to blanket coverage and there was some poor play calling on intermediate routes. The Pats game was a perfect example. End of game, three drives, that's when any team should be going to their TE. Instead what I recall was a deep corner pass to Colston which was pretty low percentage and missed. The Rams game it was total and complete pressure, Graham's failings as a blocker were exposed there, it was a constant rush and he had little opportunity to get open and actually stayed in quite a bit to help. Seattle did what Seattle does but in the playoff game the Saints purposefully looked elsewhere and piled up 300+ yards passing. I distinctly recall one play where Graham was wide open over the middle on a 10 yard or so pattern where Brees would not even look at him.

They brought in Cooks, got rid of Sproles. My guess is the plan to spread it out more. They also claim they want to run more, but they always do. If they mean it this time maybe that has an effect on things.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

The Saints had yet another excellent season but it became obvious they were too dependent on Graham and Sproles. Well Sproles is gone and I don't think Brees wanted that.

They just did not react well to blanket coverage and there was some poor play calling on intermediate routes. The Pats game was a perfect example. End of game, three drives, that's when any team should be going to their TE. Instead what I recall was a deep corner pass to Colston which was pretty low percentage and missed. The Rams game it was total and complete pressure, Graham's failings as a blocker were exposed there, it was a constant rush and he had little opportunity to get open and actually stayed in quite a bit to help. Seattle did what Seattle does but in the playoff game the Saints purposefully looked elsewhere and piled up 300+ yards passing. I distinctly recall one play where Graham was wide open over the middle on a 10 yard or so pattern where Brees would not even look at him.

They brought in Cooks, got rid of Sproles. My guess is the plan to spread it out more. They also claim they want to run more, but they always do. If they mean it this time maybe that has an effect on things.
Payton has talked about reviewing what worked in the SB run. he's tried to keep the same scheme in place but with diminishing results since.

he's also seen what the new brand of football has been successful in recent seasons: Kelly, Carroll and Harbaugh. i think it suggests a greater emphasis on running the ball. it keeps things a little more ball control in a way, protecting Brees with an iffy o-line, and letting a very capable defense stay fresh.

I see Ingam/Robinson as that 1-2 punch a la Bell-Thomas. Pierre is more Sproles like in his role now. Cooks is the field-stretching WR that Devery and Meachem have provided. Stills and Colston are underneath targets with Stills actually being able to break big plays. Graham is a big target but i think the book is out on him. teams have seen tape and can now scheme against him with the right personnel, especially in those crucial down and distance situations.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Payton has talked about reviewing what worked in the SB run. he's tried to keep the same scheme in place but with diminishing results since.

he's also seen what the new brand of football has been successful in recent seasons: Kelly, Carroll and Harbaugh. i think it suggests a greater emphasis on running the ball. it keeps things a little more ball control in a way, protecting Brees with an iffy o-line, and letting a very capable defense stay fresh.

I see Ingam/Robinson as that 1-2 punch a la Bell-Thomas. Pierre is more Sproles like in his role now. Cooks is the field-stretching WR that Devery and Meachem have provided. Stills and Colston are underneath targets with Stills actually being able to break big plays. Graham is a big target but i think the book is out on him. teams have seen tape and can now scheme against him with the right personnel, especially in those crucial down and distance situations.
Yeah, when I look at it and think about it, my conclusion is that Graham's numbers will have to come down. I don't know if that makes sense though. I'm basing it on necessity (largely decreasing predictability), defensive scheming (though I think that takes a pretty special combo of personnel), and maybe the change in personnel. FBG's article on Colston has an interesting stat about the percentage of receptions by WRs vs RBs & TEs in the Saints offense from 09 `til now and the WR numbers have gone from 50+% to just over a third. I am thinking the Saints want to move back to the WRs again. I still think they need 1 more WR to pull this off though, and maybe he's on the squad. Whether it's Toon or Morgan or Coleman, I don't know, but I think they need to square someone else into the gameplan.

im not touching him at his ADP. He was maddening to own down the stretch last yr and the yr before. Frustrating to watch because he comes off the field a lot in Sean's offense, and I want to saw his fantasy football playoof ride the last 2 yrs were incredibly boring/bad.

Here might be a good place to point out that contrary to my own original expectations, Cadet might actually get some receiving work out of the backfield and out wide here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread