What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Auction Thread (2 Viewers)

- It seems most people follow the pattern of spending most of their budget on their starting 7, anyone have real success in spreading it out more across the whole roster? I suppose on practicality that's really a recipe for mediocrity though.
In my experience, the only time that really works is in leagues with more teams and deeper rosters. I once won a 14-teamer with deep benches without spending more than $25 on anyone in the draft, because I deliberately drafted for depth and when the studs got hurt, the WW was like a Kansas wheat field in November, so I was able to swing a couple of lopsided trades. Even then, I never looked at my team and thought, "yep, this right here is a juggernaut."

In most leagues of rational size, the teams with the most studs are the ones with the greatest title chances, and you should bid accordingly.

CBS works fine for auction.  If you have any data to import (salary, etc.) you have to make sure and do it before the draft.  CBS only updates the draft room once every 24 hours.  I learned this because we run the league at MFL, but draft at CBS.  I had to import keeper salaries.  I hope this helps.
I feel like an idiot, I didn't even know this was possible.

QB position is way too deep to spend 15-20% of your cap on your QB.
I think this is subjective depending on your leagues scoring system. I typically spend ~25% on a Stud QB and I've won my league 3 out of the last 4 years.

I just looked over my scoring from years past, 7-8 of the Top 10 in scoring every year are QB's. So a lot depends on your league scoring.

So, do any of you have any strategies planned as of now?  Any guys you are targeting?  As I said before I'm focused on spending most of my money on some top 5 WRs if I can.
You can have a loose strategy, but again, it depends on the league, scoring and if it's a keeper league.

My strategy is typically trying to stick to a % at each position and try to get a few in top tiers. But you HAVE to be flexible in an auction especially depending on all of the above factors and the way the auction is going.

Had my auction tonight.  I went in with the target of spending most of my money on 4 players.  I was trying to avoid paying for the top few guys at each position as I felt there would be better deals elsewhere.   

Ended up with Allen Robinson, Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen and Mark Ingram as my 4, which I was pretty happy with.  Filled out the rest of my starting lineup with Phillip Rivers, Julius Thomas and Duke Johnson, all who I got for well below my projected values due to nomination timing.  Bench is mostly fliers but I feel confident I can find depth as the year goes on.  

Had my auction tonight.  I went in with the target of spending most of my money on 4 players.  I was trying to avoid paying for the top few guys at each position as I felt there would be better deals elsewhere.   

Ended up with Allen Robinson, Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen and Mark Ingram as my 4, which I was pretty happy with.  Filled out the rest of my starting lineup with Phillip Rivers, Julius Thomas and Duke Johnson, all who I got for well below my projected values due to nomination timing.  Bench is mostly fliers but I feel confident I can find depth as the year goes on.  
This is my exact strategy except I'd like 5 or 6 players, two of which are your players

I'm targeting Evans/Marshall/Ingram/Gordon/Reed/Manning

I had my big auction draft Saturday and it was a blast. Once again I had a mental block on spending more on the top players I wanted. I'm don't think drinking all day helped. Overall I still like my team though. 

The most expensive players were Gurley and AB and they went for $30. The next closest was $28 and three players went for that. Players in our draft and getting more and more afraid of spending a huge amount on players. 

My goal of waiting on QB and TE until the snake portion went well I think. I took Winston with my first pick and then Gates with my second.  I didn't draft a kicker. 

My roster consists of 1 QB, 7 RBs, 6 WRs, 1 TE and 1 DST.  I didn't get two of the top five WRs like I originally planned but I did get one with AJ Green for $23. Also grabbed Nelson, Evans and DT. Not bad for my starting 4 I thought. 

@Hawkeye21 Can you post your auction summary?  My main league does its auction through espn and I'm curious how the pricing ended up in comparison to their estimated values.  

I like the strategy of locking down a position with the top talent, and I feel ESPN is way low on the RB's at the end of the draft (Forsett, Gore, Foster etc.)  Just wondering how it worked in practice cause in mock drafts I get some pretty solid looking teams.
I have found that if you aren't in a sharp league, most people will use the ESPN AAV's as their base for making bids. As soon as you start to even smell this playing out, you can effectively "count cards" if you see people bidding up to and holding close to the ESPN AAV's, because "experts set them." You just propose players you feel are overvalued on that scale by tier, scoop up the rest of the value in fading the herd, and profit. I have found success with this many times in the past with friend/local leagues.

My usual post in these threads.

The # 1 piece of advice I would give for auctions is to know the drafting tendencies of your league.  This is more important in auctions than snakes because you can adjust your nomination and bidding up strategies based on these tendencies.  

The # 2 piece of advice is to not live by hard $ limits on players or even positions.  You need to be flexible to follow the flow of the auction.  Even the draft dominator knows this rule as the values per player adjust as the draft goes.  If you have hard limits for players, and this is a year when prices start off high, you'll end up with a team that has no studs.  You'll probably still think you did well because of all the mid tier bargains you got, but talk to me about those mid tier bargains when you're in 8th place in November.  

My advice would be to create your own board not off "expert analysis" but based off your league's tendencies. My league for example heavily inflates the top 20 fantasy players values vs. what Yahoo is telling us they should be. This means players like Julio Jones and ADP can go for close to 100$ of a 300$ budget, and then later there are bargains to be had.  I always plan for this when prepping for each year's draft. I usually pick one "stud" that I will pay up to get and then fill my team with tier 2 or 3 guys. This strategy ensures I have star power, but also allows me more depth than the studs and duds approach.  I also usually save a little money towards the end to ensure I get one or two of my sleepers.

We're converting a long time league to auction this year, and I have no idea what to expect.  I've given it plenty of thought and realize that there are just too many variables to get stuck on one strategy going in.  My biggest problem is figuring when to say when, nd what the actual values of the top guys are.  I think the VBD app had values maxed out in the $40 range, which seems low ($200 budget).  

We're converting a long time league to auction this year, and I have no idea what to expect.  I've given it plenty of thought and realize that there are just too many variables to get stuck on one strategy going in.  My biggest problem is figuring when to say when, nd what the actual values of the top guys are.  I think the VBD app had values maxed out in the $40 range, which seems low ($200 budget).  
That is low.  With a $200 budget, the top guys will probably go in the 60-70 range in a typical draft.  If people are timid because its the first year of the auction, jump on the early values.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I was setting up for my draft in DD this year.  I feel like they are assigning a much higher dollar value for QBs than in the past.  Certainly weird to see Cam Newton as one of the top spends in non-PPR over players with much higher VBD.  Any thoughts?

psychobillies said:
The biggest thing is to make sure you're not using Joe's Secret Formula as the baseline. It's totally wrong for auctions. The VBD app with default settings looks like it's setting the QB baseline as 336 points, which makes top QBs worthless. 

FBG is all over the map in terms of how they calculate auction value in different tools. Frankly I'm not a big fan of any of their methods; they all require pretty extensive tweaking, in my book. But as a first-time auctioner you probably should avoid getting too subtle. You can use the "Fudge Factor" setting to steepen the cost curve, and you probably should do that. Try it out with 0.2 and see if that looks better.

psychobillies said:
If it's a $200 budget then do some

mocks on yahoo or ESPN to get some practice. It will at least give you a feel for where some players are going and how to build a team. 

The biggest thing is to make sure you're not using Joe's Secret Formula as the baseline. It's totally wrong for auctions. The VBD app with default settings looks like it's setting the QB baseline as 336 points, which makes top QBs worthless. 

FBG is all over the map in terms of how they calculate auction value in different tools. Frankly I'm not a big fan of any of their methods; they all require pretty extensive tweaking, in my book. But as a first-time auctioner you probably should avoid getting too subtle. You can use the "Fudge Factor" setting to steepen the cost curve, and you probably should do that. Try it out with 0.2 and see if that looks better.
1000% correct

Interesting information here. I am currently drafting in a 12 team ppr league with a $500 budget. I decided to go balls to the wall and see what happens. This is a start 9 with 9 bench players league. I spent 95% of my budget on RB Peterson, RB Charles, WR Dez, TE Gronk, TE Reed (start 2 TE league). I am going QBBC with Tannehill and Fitzpatrick. I am going to be weak at WR2. I have my starting lineup filled and I have $13 to spend on remaining 9 bench spots. With most of my bench going to be filled with $1 players, I am curious to see who I get. Hoping to add some WR depth for my WR2 slot, another QB, and possibly a sleeper RB, I have some dark horses in mind to fill out the remaining 9 roster spots Also curious to see if this strategy was too aggressive.

I'm not a big fan of their auction prices either.

I think the best way to come up with prices is to go back to previous year draft and use those.  Just match up the the players in order of salary last year with the similarly ranked players from this year.  You're incorporating your league's tendencies this way.  It's a bit of work though.  

Salaries from Yahoo, ESPN or wherever are pretty useless to me.  

I think the best way to come up with prices is to go back to previous year draft and use those.  Just match up the the players in order of salary last year with the similarly ranked players from this year.  You're incorporating your league's tendencies this way.  It's a bit of work though.  

Yes.... I basically referred to last year's results and then kept tweaking the fudge factor on the VBD until it seemed to align the values...... 

Agreed.  I use a running 3yr average for each draft position.   Pretty amazing how accurate it is.   

Interesting information here. I am currently drafting in a 12 team ppr league with a $500 budget. I decided to go balls to the wall and see what happens. This is a start 9 with 9 bench players league. I spent 95% of my budget on RB Peterson, RB Charles, WR Dez, TE Gronk, TE Reed (start 2 TE league). I am going QBBC with Tannehill and Fitzpatrick. I am going to be weak at WR2. I have my starting lineup filled and I have $13 to spend on remaining 9 bench spots. With most of my bench going to be filled with $1 players, I am curious to see who I get. Hoping to add some WR depth for my WR2 slot, another QB, and possibly a sleeper RB, I have some dark horses in mind to fill out the remaining 9 roster spots Also curious to see if this strategy was too aggressive.
There is almost no such thing as "too aggressive" in a typical auction league. You got 5 studs, which I'm guessing is more than any other single team has, and whatever depth you're lacking should be easily filled either via the WW or by trading away one of the $1 RB fliers you hit on for an underperforming $20 WR after Week 3. Well done and best of luck to you.

Which prices do you guys like?
I wound up rolling my own spreadsheet this year, using FBG scoring projections but building my own calculation. I set a point-based baseline for each position, use that to calculate VBD, and then do a "value over baseline" calculation (VBDC) with my own fudge factor (which turned out to be 1.0135^VBD-1). Prices are (Player VBDC / Total Remaining VBDC) * ( Total Remaining $$ )

In the end I'd like to build a statistical model that takes into account the fact that projections are not actually integers but probability curves, and run a Monte Carlo simulation. But maybe for next year. I'm pretty done with FBG's tools.

Yes.... I basically referred to last year's results and then kept tweaking the fudge factor on the VBD until it seemed to align the values...... 
I'm not missing something, am I?  These tweaking options aren't available in the new Desktop version, is it?  Just the classic?  I'm in an auction/keeper league, and we've never had someone go for more than $70 (out of $200) and it's valuing Julio at $96 and Gronk at almost $70.  I've done exactly what you said above in the past to get top end values closer to our league's...but I like the updated desktop version, so if there's a way to do that I'm missing, please let me know.

ETA:  There are position adjustments within the Ranking Profile section, but it doesn't seem quite the same.  I'll probably tweak this to see if I can get the top 20 to be close to previous years, but I'm guessing the other calcs are hidden, unlike the classic version.

Thanks!

In the end I'd like to build a statistical model that takes into account the fact that projections are not actually integers but probability curves, and run a Monte Carlo simulation. But maybe for next year. I'm pretty done with FBG's tools.
I played around with this idea a bit last year.  I didn't do detailed projections as probability curves but I did run some MC sims on weekly scoring looking at high variance players vs high floor players.  I do all my projections on a PPG basis and would like to to make my per game projections as probability curves.  You tend to hear that people prefer consitant guys in their line ups but I found you want a collection of high variance scorers to have the best weekly outcomes.  

I don't tend to look at season long projections that much as they are too skewed by injuries.  I draft to win the first 4 weeks of the season.  

I played around with this idea a bit last year.  I didn't do detailed projections as probability curves but I did run some MC sims on weekly scoring looking at high variance players vs high floor players.  I do all my projections on a PPG basis and would like to to make my per game projections as probability curves.  You tend to hear that people prefer consitant guys in their line ups but I found you want a collection of high variance scorers to have the best weekly outcomes.  

I don't tend to look at season long projections that much as they are too skewed by injuries.  I draft to win the first 4 weeks of the season.  
Yeah, I think the right way to look at it is that most good players have a saddle curve for each week, with some probability of scoring zero due to injury, less probability of scoring a small number of points, and then a fat curve up depending on how good a player it is. You could build maybe four different curve shapes, for players coming off injury, rookies, aging vets, and mid-career, or something like that, and then simulate scores for each week. That should get you some data you can use to figure out optimal valuations.

Yeah, I think the right way to look at it is that most good players have a saddle curve for each week, with some probability of scoring zero due to injury, less probability of scoring a small number of points, and then a fat curve up depending on how good a player it is. You could build maybe four different curve shapes, for players coming off injury, rookies, aging vets, and mid-career, or something like that, and then simulate scores for each week. That should get you some data you can use to figure out optimal valuations.
I hadn't thought about having a set of four or five template curves to use.  That would make it much easier than trying to set a curve individually for each guy.  I may toy with this during the season this year.  Going to have to dust off the old statistics books.

I'm going to try this.

Curious who you landed with the last 9 bench spots.  

Here are the results of a recently completed auction for a 16 team best ball league. 16 players per roster with auction budget of $250. Start 9 with QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/D/Flex(RB/WR/TE). PPR scoring with 0.5 for RB, 1.0 for WR, and 1.5 for TE.

Team Name

Player Name

Player Price

Team 1

Amendola, Danny WR NEP

Anderson, C.J. RB DEN

Baldwin, Doug WR SEA

Chiefs, Kansas City Def KCC

Cruz, Victor WR NYG

Donnell, Larry TE NYG

Enunwa, Quincy WR NYJ

Funchess, Devin WR CAR

Graham, Jimmy TE SEA

Jackson, Vincent WR TBB

Luck, Andrew QB IND

Manning, Eli QB NYG

Peterson, Adrian RB MIN

Powell, Bilal RB NYJ

Sanu, Mohamed WR ATL

Spiller, C.J. RB NOS

Total Players = 16

Team 2

Abdullah, Ameer RB DET

Adams, Davante WR GBP

Barnidge, Gary TE CLE

Blount, LeGarrette RB NEP

Ertz, Zach TE PHI

Fuller, Will(R) WR HOU

Gabbert, Blaine QB SFO

Green, A.J. WR CIN

Hilton, T.Y. WR IND

Johnson, David RB ARI

Morris, Alfred RB DAL

Osweiler, Brock QB HOU

Raiders, Oakland Def OAK

Roberts, Seth WR OAK

Siemian, Trevor QB DEN

Starks, James RB GBP

Total Players = 16

Team 3

Allen, Dwayne TE IND

Austin, Tavon WR RAM

Benjamin, Kelvin WR CAR

Cousins, Kirk QB WAS

Crowell, Isaiah RB CLE

Diggs, Stefon WR MIN

Dixon, Kenneth(R) RB BAL

Ebron, Eric TE DET

Elliott, Ezekiel(R) RB DAL

Freeman, Devonta RB ATL

Henry, Derrick(R) RB TEN

Jets, New York Def NYJ

Romo, Tony QB DAL

Smith, Torrey WR SFO

Snead, Willie WR NOS

Texans, Houston Def HOU

Total Players = 16

Team 4

Booker, Devontae(R) RB DEN

Cutler, Jay QB CHI

Dolphins, Miami Def MIA

Eagles, Philadelphia Def PHI

Evans, Mike WR TBB

Ferguson, Josh(R) RB IND

James, Jesse TE PIT

Jeffery, Alshon WR CHI

Jones, James WR FA

Jones, Marvin WR DET

Jones, Matt RB WAS

Lynch, Paxton(R) QB DEN

Mitchell, Malcolm(R) WR NEP

Nelson, Jordy WR GBP

Rodgers, Aaron QB GBP

Tye, Will TE NYG

Total Players = 16

Team 5

Aiken, Kamar WR BAL

Artis-Payne, Cameron RB CAR

Bills, Buffalo Def BUF

Brees, Drew QB NOS

Britt, Kenny WR RAM

Cooks, Brandin WR NOS

Cooper, Amari WR OAK

Forsett, Justin RB BAL

Goff, Jared(R) QB RAM

Gurley, Todd RB RAM

Hardy, Justin WR ATL

Hillman, Ronnie RB DEN

Langford, Jeremy RB CHI

Pitta, Dennis TE BAL

Prosise, C.J.(R) RB SEA

Welker, Wes WR RAM

Total Players = 16

Team 6

Abbrederis, Jared WR GBP

Bernard, Giovani RB CIN

Garcon, Pierre WR WAS

Green-Beckham, Dorial WR TEN

Hopkins, DeAndre WR HOU

Lacy, Eddie RB GBP

Mathews, Ryan RB PHI

McFadden, Darren RB DAL

Palmer, Carson QB ARI

Rams, Los Angeles Def RAM

Reed, Jordan TE WAS

Watson, Ben TE BAL

West, Charcandrick RB KCC

Williams, Karlos RB BUF

Winston, Jameis QB TBB

Wright, Kendall WR TEN

Total Players = 16

Team 7

Boyd, Tyler(R) WR CIN

Carr, Derek QB OAK

Colts, Indianapolis Def IND

Crabtree, Michael WR OAK

Dalton, Andy QB CIN

Giants, New York Def NYG

Kearse, Jermaine WR SEA

LaFell, Brandon WR CIN

Martin, Doug RB TBB

Michael, Christine RB SEA

Murray, DeMarco RB TEN

Rawls, Thomas RB SEA

Robinson, Allen WR JAC

Seferian-Jenkins, Austin TE TBB

White, Kevin WR CHI

Witten, Jason TE DAL

Total Players = 16

Team 8

Agholor, Nelson WR PHI

Beckham, Odell WR NYG

Bridgewater, Teddy QB MIN

Bryant, Dez WR DAL

Green, Ladarius TE PIT

Griffin III, Robert QB CLE

Hogan, Chris WR NEP

Jaguars, Jacksonville Def JAC

Johnson, Chris RB ARI

Marshall, Keith(R) RB WAS

Miller, Lamar RB HOU

Pryor, Terrelle WR CLE

Rudolph, Kyle TE MIN

Smallwood, Wendell(R) RB PHI

Tannehill, Ryan QB MIA

Thompson, Chris RB WAS

Total Players = 16

Team 9

Coates, Sammie WR PIT

Cobb, Randall WR GBP

Coleman, Tevin RB ATL

Forte, Matt RB NYJ

Hightower, Tim RB NOS

Ingram, Mark RB NOS

Kelce, Travis TE KCC

Mariota, Marcus QB TEN

Miller, Zach TE CHI

Roethlisberger, Ben QB PIT

Sproles, Darren RB PHI

Strong, Jaelen WR HOU

Thomas, Demaryius WR DEN

Treadwell, Laquon(R) WR MIN

Vikings, Minnesota Def MIN

Woods, Robert WR BUF

Total Players = 16

Team 10

Beasley, Cole WR DAL

Bell, Le'Veon RB PIT

Bush, Reggie RB SFO

Coleman, Corey(R) WR CLE

Cook, Jared TE GBP

Gore, Frank RB IND

Gronkowski, Rob TE NEP

Keenum, Case QB RAM

Matthews, Rishard WR TEN

McCoy, LeSean RB BUF

Parker, DeVante WR MIA

Patriots, New England Def NEP

Smith, Steve WR BAL

Stafford, Matthew QB DET

Wheaton, Markus WR PIT

Williams, DeAngelo RB PIT

Total Players = 16

Team 11

Bengals, Cincinnati Def CIN

Edelman, Julian WR NEP

Flacco, Joe QB BAL

Ginn Jr., Ted WR CAR

Marshall, Brandon WR NYJ

McDonald, Vance TE SFO

Moncrief, Donte WR IND

Murray, Latavius RB OAK

Packers, Green Bay Def GBP

Sharpe, Tajae(R) WR TEN

Stewart, Jonathan RB CAR

Taylor, Tyrod QB BUF

Wallace, Mike WR BAL

Washington, DeAndre(R) RB OAK

Watkins, Sammy WR BUF

White, James RB NEP

Total Players = 16

Team 12

Benjamin, Travis WR SDC

Cameron, Jordan TE MIA

Decker, Eric WR NYJ

Eifert, Tyler TE CIN

Ellington, Andre RB ARI

Garoppolo, Jimmy QB NEP

Hurns, Allen WR JAC

Hyde, Carlos RB SFO

Johnson, Duke RB CLE

Lewis, Dion RB NEP

Olsen, Greg TE CAR

Perkins, Paul(R) RB NYG

Ravens, Baltimore Def BAL

Vereen, Shane RB NYG

Williams, Terrance WR DAL

Wilson, Russell QB SEA

Total Players = 16

Team 13

Allen, Javorius RB BAL

Boldin, Anquan WR FA*

Ellington, Bruce WR SFO

Fitzpatrick, Ryan QB NYJ

Gates, Antonio TE SDC

Hill, Jeremy RB CIN

Lockett, Tyler WR SEA

Matthews, Jordan WR PHI

McKinnon, Jerick RB MIN

Newton, Cam QB CAR

Panthers, Carolina Def CAR

Riddick, Theo RB DET

Sanders, Emmanuel WR DEN

Thomas, Julius TE JAC

Thomas, Michael(R) WR NOS

Woodhead, Danny RB SDC

Total Players = 16

Team 14

Ajayi, Jay RB MIA

Bortles, Blake QB JAC

Bradford, Sam QB PHI

Brate, Cameron TE TBB

Brown, Antonio WR PIT

Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Def TBB

Cunningham, Benny RB RAM

Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI

Fleener, Coby TE NOS

Foster, Arian RB FA*

Gordon, Josh WR CLE

Howard, Jordan(R) RB CHI

Maclin, Jeremy WR KCC

Shepard, Sterling(R) WR NYG

Steelers, Pittsburgh Def PIT

Yeldon, T.J. RB JAC

Total Players = 16

Team 15

Bennett, Martellus TE NEP

Brady, Tom QB NEP

Brown, John WR ARI

Cardinals, Arizona Def ARI

Carey, Ka'Deem RB CHI

Charles, Jamaal RB KCC

Doctson, Josh(R) WR WAS

Dorsett, Phillip WR IND

Draughn, Shaun RB SFO

Higbee, Tyler(R) TE RAM

Ivory, Chris RB JAC

Jones, Julio WR ATL

Oliver, Branden RB SDC

Sanchez, Mark QB DEN

Walford, Clive TE OAK

Ware, Spencer RB KCC

Total Players = 16

Team 16

Allen, Keenan WR SDC

Broncos, Denver Def DEN

Clay, Charles TE BUF

Floyd, Michael WR ARI

Gordon, Melvin RB SDC

Jackson, DeSean WR WAS

Jennings, Rashad RB NYG

Landry, Jarvis WR MIA

Rivers, Philip QB SDC

Ryan, Matt QB ATL

Seahawks, Seattle Def SEA

Sims, Charles RB TBB

Smith, Alex QB KCC

Tate, Golden WR DET

Walker, Delanie TE TEN

West, Terrance RB BAL

Total Players = 16

I'm not missing something, am I?  These tweaking options aren't available in the new Desktop version, is it?  Just the classic?  I'm in an auction/keeper league, and we've never had someone go for more than $70 (out of $200) and it's valuing Julio at $96 and Gronk at almost $70.  I've done exactly what you said above in the past to get top end values closer to our league's...but I like the updated desktop version, so if there's a way to do that I'm missing, please let me know.

ETA:  There are position adjustments within the Ranking Profile section, but it doesn't seem quite the same.  I'll probably tweak this to see if I can get the top 20 to be close to previous years, but I'm guessing the other calcs are hidden, unlike the classic version.

Thanks!
I was using the VBD excel spreadsheet to do that, not the DD.

Thanks!
I think the new DD is useless for auctions. You'd be better off with an ESPN AAV cheatsheet.

Here is what the top 30 RBs went for in my draft.  Remember, it was $100 for the first 10 rounds only.  The highlighted players are the guys I bought.

Todd Gurley

Adrian Peterson

David Johnson

Lamar Miller

Ezekiel Elliott

Le'Veon Bell

Devonta Freeman

Jamaal Charles

Eddie Lacy

Mark Ingram

C.J. Anderson

DeMarco Murray

Doug Martin

LeSean McCoy

Carlos Hyde

Dion Lewis

Matt Forte

Frank Gore

Thomas Rawls

Duke Johnson

Jonathan Stewart

Danny Woodhead

Latavius Murray

Melvin Gordon

Ryan Matthews

Matt Jones

DeAngelo Williams

Giovani Bernard

Jeremy Hill

Ameer Abdullah

Here are the top 30 WRs taken.  Once again my guys are highlighted. I actually had Shepard for $2 but since I had money left over and he was my last pick it all went towards him.  Chalk that up to drinking all day long.  Still happy overall with my guys.

Antonio Brown

Julio Jones

Odell Beckham Jr.

Dez Bryant

A.J. Green

DeAndre Hopkins

Allen Robinson

Brandon Marshall

Brandin Cooks

Jordy Nelson

Alshon Jeffery

Julian Edelman

Keenan Allen

Amari Cooper

Mike Evans

Sammy Watkins

Kevin White

Demaryius Thomas

Randall Cobb

T.Y Hilton

Jarvis Landry

Kelvin Benjamin

Golden Tate

Eric Decker

Michael Crabtree

Sterling Shepard

Doug Balwin

Larry Fitzgerald

Michael Floyd

Steve Smith

WR's look pretty studly, but unless you can start four I would have spent the $18 on Evans plus the $9 on Rawls for a real RB.

WR's look pretty studly, but unless you can start four I would have spent the $18 on Evans plus the $9 on Rawls for a real RB.
We start 2 RBs and 3 WRs with a Flex so I will start 4 WRs.  My starters will be AJG, Jordy, Evans and then DT as my Flex.  I like that.

As you can see I was right about the prices.  Guys in my league just don't like spending over that $30 mark.  My price projections were spot on.

My 12 team auction league, $300 and non ppr. Start qrrwwtdk. 16 players max. 

Top 5 Rb go $90-100

Top 5 Wr go $70-80

Gronk goes for $40-50

We start 2 RBs and 3 WRs with a Flex so I will start 4 WRs.  My starters will be AJG, Jordy, Evans and then DT as my Flex.  I like that.

As you can see I was right about the prices.  Guys in my league just don't like spending over that $30 mark.  My price projections were spot on.
Sure, but the point of calculating auction prices is to figure out what you should be spending, not what other people are going to spend. Even ditching that $8 you spent on Shepard could have gotten you into CJ Anderson or Doug Martin. I never want to leave an auction without at least one true #1 player at RB and WR.

CalBear said:
Sure, but the point of calculating auction prices is to figure out what you should be spending, not what other people are going to spend. Even ditching that $8 you spent on Shepard could have gotten you into CJ Anderson or Doug Martin. I never want to leave an auction without at least one true #1 player at RB and WR.
Well knowing what other people might spend allows you to find value in the draft. 

I put your scoring into my Auction price calculator with my projections and have the following values for the top 30 RB's.  I am notably higher on Miller than most the world apparently.  Otherwise I think think this lines up well with your results.  I would have ended up with Miller, McCoy and Mathews most likely in your draft.

RB1

Lamar Miller (HOU)

RB2

Todd Gurley (LA)

RB3

Jamaal Charles (KC)

RB4

LeVeon Bell (PIT)

RB5

Devonta Freeman (ATL)

RB6

Adrian Peterson (MIN)

RB7

David Johnson (ARZ)

RB8

LeSean McCoy (Bills)

RB9

Z. Elliot (DAL)

RB10

Mark Ingram (NO)

RB11

Doug Martin (TB)

RB12

Matt Forte (NYJ)

RB13

Eddie Lacy (GB)

RB14

Ryan Mathews (PHI)

RB15

C.J. Anderson (DEN)

RB16

Carlos Hyde (SF)

RB17

Latavius Murray (OAK)

RB18

Jonathan Stewart (Car)

RB19

Thomas Rawls (SEA)

RB20

Justin Forsett (Bal)

RB21

Jeremy Langford (CHI)

RB22

Frank Gore (IND)

RB23

Theo Riddick (DET)

RB24

DeMarco Murray (TEN)

RB25

Isaiah Crowell (CLE)

RB26

Giovani Bernard (CIN)

RB27

Danny Woodhead (SD)

RB28

Arian Foster (MIA)

RB29

Melvin Gordon (SD)

RB30

Rashad Jennings (NYG)

Well knowing what other people might spend allows you to find value in the draft. 
Only if you know what the real value of players is. Both pieces of information (projected value/expected cost) are useful, but expected cost alone doesn't tell you anything about value. 

I put your scoring into my Auction price calculator with my projections and have the following values for the top 30 WR's.  This lines up pretty well with your results.  I would have ended up with Marshall, Allen, and Fitzgerald and Jones as my WR's looking at the numbers.

WR1

Julio Jones (ATL_1)

WR2

Antonio Brown (PIT_1)

WR3

Odell Beckham Jr (NYG_1)

WR4

A.J. Green (CIN_1)

WR5

Brandon Marshall (NYJ_1)

WR6

Dez Bryant (DAL_1)

WR7

Keenan Allen (SD_1)

WR8

DeAndre Hopkins (HOU_1)

WR9

Allen Robinson (JAX_1A)

WR10

Mike Evans (TB_1)

WR11

Demaryius Thomas (DEN_1)

WR12

Alshon Jeffery (CHI_1)

WR13

Sammy Watkins (BUF_1)

WR14

A. Cooper (OAK_1)

WR15

Larry Fitzgerald (ARZ_1A)

WR16

Jeremy Maclin (KC_1)

WR17

Brandin Cooks (NO_1)

WR18

Jordy Nelson (GB_1)

WR19

T.Y. Hilton (IND_1)

WR20

Randall Cobb (GB_2)

WR21

Jarvis Landry (MIA_1)

WR22

Eric Decker (NYJ_2)

WR23

Marvin Jones (DET_1B)

WR24

Doug Baldwin (SEA_1)

WR25

Julian Edelman (NE_1)

WR26

Michael Floyd (ARZ_3)

WR27

Michael Crabtree (OAK_2)

WR28

Donte Moncrief (IND_2)

WR29

Kelvin Benjamin (CAR_1)

WR30

John Brown (ARZ_2)

CalBear said:
I agree somewhat.  I still think it's important to know what each player is most likely to go for.  I didn't want CJ Anderson or Doug Martin, if I did I would have spent on them.  I should have spent on two of the top five guys like I originally planned but couldn't get past my mental block of spending more than what I had a player valued.  Overall it really didn't make too big of an impact on my team since I grabbed a lot of guys that I liked.  It just so happened that a lot of those guys went for less that expected.  Towards the end of the draft I was able to get guys I wanted and kept on having money left over.  Main regret I have is taking Jordy and not getting AB, Jones or OBJ.

For those trying to land as many studs as possible and then fill out the remainder of the squad with $1 guys.  How are you attacking the auction in terms of nominating players?

Are you trying to land $1 guys really early on?  Or are you trying to lock up your studs first.  

Users who are viewing this thread