What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Auction Thread (1 Viewer)

The problem is, the 216th player isn't worth $1, he just costs $1. Assigning him (and N players above him with value < $1) a value of $1 will take money away from more valuable players.

I don't think adjusting baselines is sufficient to get good auction values, for two reasons. One is that many bench players have non-zero value, some of those significant. Your top bench WR and RB are probably worth upwards of $5, maybe even $10 depending on your roster ($100 cap). So your baseline has to be low enough to capture value in more than just the starters. 

The other is that a linear equation can't account for a non-linear value curve. Stick pre-2007 Tomlinson, projected for 50+ VBD points more than the #2 RB into a linear model and it's going to severely undervalue him. This year the top of the draft doesn't have much separation, so it'll probably work OK.
A linear equation does work and does account for a non-linear curve in calculating $ values for players.  A teams total score for a week is the sum of the players scores, so value of one player is directly proportional to the difference to another player of the same position.  This is the definition of VBD.  In the past it has just been that the distribution of scores among the positions has been exponential, but the beauty of VBD is that it maps the 1 to 1 to that distribution so no fudge factor is needed.   This is easy to see if we model a simple league.  I used the three year average of the top players at each position in non-ppr(but it doesn't change anything in principle to be ppr) and modeled a 12 team, 6 roster spot league that starts 1 QB, 2 Rb, 2 WR, 1 TE with a $100 budget per team.  Below are the auction values based on VBD.  This is easy to model because we assume no injuries, no bench, and that the points given are how many they are going to score each week.  It does not matter which 6 players you pick, if you stay in $100 you can not do better than 15.4 VBD (there may be a slight variation as the dollars are rounded as shown, in the sheet there are cents as well).  There is no arbitrage available.  You can stick Superman in as RB1 for 35 PPG and the calculation still works.

QB

VBD

$ Value

RB

VBD

$ Value

WR

VBD

$ Value

TE

VBD

$ Value

$   1,200

Total Auction $

$46

$57

$45

$38

$        72

Roster Spots

$30

$48

$41

$28

$   1,128

$ to distribute

$16

$42

$34

$23

Total VBD

$16

$36

$33

$21

$   6.110

$/VBD

$14

$33

$30

$16

Total VBD if $100 spent

$11

$31

$25

$13

$8

$28

$23

$10

$6

$23

$21

$10

$4

$21

$20

$7

$3

$19

$19

$5

$2

$17

$19

$2

$1

$14

$18

$1

$13

$15

$12

$13

$11

$11

$10

$10

$9

$9

$7

$8

$6

$7

$5

$6

$4

$4

$3

$3

$1

$2

$1

$1

There are three main questions in my mind to solve for real leagues.

1.  What do you use for the baseline when taking injuries and bye weeks into consideration.  I have not found an mathematical optimal solution for this yet.  My gut tells me that since byes don't start till week 5 that optimal strategy is to use best starter as the baseline and to spend all your money on your starting line up.  I've had pretty good luck with this over the last 5 years, but I haven't been able to prove why its better than any other strategy.  This year I have been looking at how many games the average player plays at every position in a given year through week 13 (FF reg season).  I looked at only the top 36 of RB's and WR's and 24 of QB's and TE's in terms of PPG over the last three years.  When you factor in the bye weeks.  You get QB's average 10.28 games, TE average 10.34 games, RB average 9.55 games, WR average 10.92 games.  I then divide the number of games to cover for each position(for QB is 13 games x 12 Teams X 1 roster spot = 156 games) and get 15.2 QB's are in play for the regular season.  In my start 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex league this is the top 77 total RB's and WR's are in play (minimum 33 Rb's or 29 WR's).  I like this approach but it over values QB and TE in my mind.

2.  It is hard to predict who will be the top 1 or 2 guys at each position and by how much.  Most every year the top player(s) at each position are outliers.  Most people don't go into the season projecting a RB to score 18 ppg in standard, or for a QB to get 30 ppg but most years it happens.  We tend to under project the top guys and over project the middle guys.  One of the top 5 drafted RB's will likely be the outlier, but it is bad business to pay the value of the outlier for any of them.  CalBear is on to something in finding a way to do projections as a probability curve.  The top 5 RB's may have a 15% chance each of being an outlier and a 15% chance of being a total bust and that is worth much more than the RB ranked 12 who has maybe a 1% chance of being an outlier and 25% chance of bust.  This is my project for this season and next off season, to find a decent way to do projections like this.  I think we all kind of intuitively do this any way.  Its why Zeke and David Johnson are ranked so high right, they both have the potential to be outliers.  This outweighs much of the risk of them busting.  But how do we price this??

3.  Baseline for QB and TE.  I think this is different than for RB and WR. In 12 man leagues where maybe only 16-18 Qb's and TE's will be roster'd the value seems to be much less than best starter.  I don't have any imperical data to back any of this up at this time, but here is my conjecture.  1.  The delta from QB/TE 8 to 20 is relatively small and it has no price to acquire and you don't even have to waste a roster spot on the back up as a replacement is free.  2.  QB/TE is lower variance week to week.  I would guess that the 1 standard deviation for QB and TE is around 50% of the average where for RB and WR its closer to 80%.  The higher variance over 5 or 6 positions is worth much more than a low variance on one position.  3.  TE's just don't score enough to matter.  The average TE score in my non-ppr league in 2014 was 7.35 points in 78 contests. The average margin of victory in the 78 contests was 20 points.  I did this analysis that year cause I had Jimmy Graham and he finished TE2 that year.  If I would have taken a 0 at TE each week it would not have affected a single outcome for the entire season.   That was $40 wasted on a player that had 0 impact on my team.  Over the whole season that year if the winner of each game would have taken a 0 in their TE spot it would have only changed 10 games results.  TE scores less than K or D.   I don't know what the answer is to use as baseline but I currently use the first guy in my rankings that I can get for $1.  This year its Fitzpatrick (QB 7) and Gates (TE6).

Interesting analysis. The thing that you touch on, and I think this is why I'm not comfortable with a linear curve, is that top players are non-linearly better than non-top players (sometimes). The difference between Aaron Rodgers and Carson Palmer is larger than the difference in their projected VBD, because Aaron Rodgers probability curve is much tighter than Palmer's. Palmer's last two full seasons before 2015 he threw 46 TDs and 36 INTs, whereas in 2015 Rodgers lost his top two receivers, had his worst year since 2010, and ended up essentially tied with Palmer. Or to put it another way, Palmer's ceiling is essentially Rodgers' floor, and Palmer's floor is basically replacement-level. The difference between them in FBG projections is 27 points, but the real difference isn't captured in that projection.

Interesting analysis. The thing that you touch on, and I think this is why I'm not comfortable with a linear curve, is that top players are non-linearly better than non-top players (sometimes). The difference between Aaron Rodgers and Carson Palmer is larger than the difference in their projected VBD, because Aaron Rodgers probability curve is much tighter than Palmer's. Palmer's last two full seasons before 2015 he threw 46 TDs and 36 INTs, whereas in 2015 Rodgers lost his top two receivers, had his worst year since 2010, and ended up essentially tied with Palmer. Or to put it another way, Palmer's ceiling is essentially Rodgers' floor, and Palmer's floor is basically replacement-level. The difference between them in FBG projections is 27 points, but the real difference isn't captured in that projection.
I don't disagree with this.  When dealing with projections that are based on averages you certainly don't get the whole picture.  I think the way you handle the top guys is fine and is probably a good approximation of what they should be valued at.  My issue is that I can never pay that much in practice.  I have a hard time spending more than 30% of my budget on any player.  I usually end up with a top level talent but never the number 1 RB or WR in ADP.  I do try to get at least one of the top tier guys for around 28%.  It's just been dumb luck I'm sure but it has worked extremely well in the past (Brown last year and Murray/Dez in 2014).  

I am going to work on a set of projections that are based on probability curves and will post my efforts as I progress.  Maybe we can come up with a unified theory of auction values that is all encompassing.

abbottjamesr said:
I don't disagree with this.  When dealing with projections that are based on averages you certainly don't get the whole picture.  I think the way you handle the top guys is fine and is probably a good approximation of what they should be valued at.  My issue is that I can never pay that much in practice.  I have a hard time spending more than 30% of my budget on any player.  I usually end up with a top level talent but never the number 1 RB or WR in ADP.  I do try to get at least one of the top tier guys for around 28%.  It's just been dumb luck I'm sure but it has worked extremely well in the past (Brown last year and Murray/Dez in 2014).  

I am going to work on a set of projections that are based on probability curves and will post my efforts as I progress.  Maybe we can come up with a unified theory of auction values that is all encompassing.
The highest value my spreadsheet is currently spitting out for my league is $27.29 (Antonio Brown). But, if there were a clear-cut #1 RB in the draft it would probably be higher. Brown is only 9 points ahead of Julio Jones, and Gurley only 2 ahead of David Johnson; there are no outliers.

My league has two keepers at 25% salary increase from last year. This year we're spending $102.50 on keepers, on $273.50 worth of players (by my current calcs). So the dynamic values are over $30 for a few of the players (more money available, fewer VBD points).

Users who are viewing this thread