What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won 11 as a player and 2 as a coach, the fact that he was both a player and a coach for the last two shouldn’t  count against him.
That's not correct.  Unless you're giving him FOUR titles for the 68 and 69 titles????

He has 11 rings total.

What is wrong with you? The best player in the game in the layup line with 13-14 year old kids. He knows all their names and I'm sure the kids are enjoying it. I had a flashback of middle school when I was ballin at power forward.
:lmao:  woah Hoss settle down. issue is with sports media, which i feed into way too much these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woj reporting that Sixers Special Advisor Jerry Colangelo will leave the 76ers when contract expires at end of calendar year

Deamon said:
That's not correct.  Unless you're giving him FOUR titles for the 68 and 69 titles????

He has 11 rings total.
He received two rings each of those years, one as a player and one as a coach.

He won 11 as a player and 2 as a coach, the fact that he was both a player and a coach for the last two shouldn’t  count against him.
By that meth LeBron has at least 9. 3 titles, while bring the best player, coach and GM. 

well, 5 months left technically.
what it utterly disgusting about all of this is the fact this ###-hat is gonna get paid for those 5 months to do absolutely nothing. Probably won't even speak to anybody from the Sixers org., during the whole time. Nothing says America like billionaires paying billionaires to do nothing.

@Chaos Commish Are you hedging Warriors futures with any other teams? Celtics maaaybe, but I see 6/1 on vegasinsider.com but that doesn't seem like much. My friends are heading to Vegas this weekend and looking to get in more Dubs bets even at 10/17.

arguing over whether Bill Russell gets credit for 2 championships when he was a player/coach may be a new all-time high for the summer lows of this thread.  :hifive:
Well did he get two rings?! Cause that's what matters!?!!!! Not that it was the same championship. He got two rings. My cousin's great uncle Larry from Alewife told me so.

By that meth LeBron has at least 9. 3 titles, while bring the best player, coach and GM. 
Also when Russell won his titles the league only had eight teams. Therefore LeBron should get credit for a title for every time his team outperformed approximately 7/8ths of the league, i.e. made the Conference Finals.  I believe that puts him somewhere around 30 titles, depending on whether he was already acting as coach and GM for those early Cavs teams.

Also when Russell won his titles the league only had eight teams. Therefore LeBron should get credit for a title for every time his team outperformed approximately 7/8ths of the league, i.e. made the Conference Finals.  I believe that puts him somewhere around 30 titles, depending on whether he was already acting as coach and GM for those early Cavs teams.
That actually would have been a very cool matchup, now that i think of it. I think of LeBron as a wing, so had never really considered how #6 would go about figuring for that, but the size is close, not like MJ.. Russell stopped, when it mattered, the last most unstoppable player in Wilt, but he had a hand on him most of the time and was the greatest help defender of all time. It's interesting to think of what Russ might have done to counter LBJ's bull-in-a-china-shop drives.

That's about as accurate a GOAT ranking as I've seen in a while, to be honest. Lol at Kobe and Shaq padding their numbers with All Star Game trophies.
List should include Kevin Durant, who would currently place at Olajuwon tier with seven trophies. Too lazy to figure out who else is missing.

arguing over whether Bill Russell gets credit for 2 championships when he was a player/coach may be a new all-time high for the summer lows of this thread.  :hifive:
Hey, math isn't my strong suit but he won 11 championships as a player and 2 championships as a coach. 11+2 I thought equals 13. 

That's about as accurate a GOAT ranking as I've seen in a while, to be honest. Lol at Kobe and Shaq padding their numbers with All Star Game trophies.
I don't think that is accurate at all. Any list that has Walton and Cowens inside the top 20 all time players isn't a very good list. Also adding All Star game MVPs is dumb too. I am not saying Walton or Cowens are bad players either, just not top 20 all time.

I don't think that is accurate at all. Any list that has Walton and Cowens inside the top 20 all time players isn't a very good list. Also adding All Star game MVPs, is dumb too. I am not saying Walton or Cowens are bad players either, just not top 20 all time.
I agree, it's pointless near the bottom. There are tons of players with 3-4 trophies to their names. It's also missing people (KD at minimum). Here's the list without all star game MVPs:

MJ 18
Russell 16
Kareem 15
LeBron 11
Magic 11
Duncan 11
Bird 10
Shaq 9
Kobe 8
Wilt 8
Cousy 7
Hakeem 7

Durant 7

Reed 6
Moses 5
DRob 5
Walton 5

Anyone not in that top ten who should be?

I agree, it's pointless near the bottom. There are tons of players with 3-4 trophies to their names. It's also missing people (KD at minimum). Here's the list without all star game MVPs:

MJ 18
Russell 16
Kareem 15
LeBron 11
Magic 11
Duncan 11
Bird 10
Shaq 9
Kobe 8
Wilt 8
Cousy 7
Hakeem 7

Durant 7

Reed 6
Moses 5
DRob 5
Walton 5

I think Durant is bordering the top 10 right now, another championship and finals MVP or regular season MVP should put him there easily. Even without the titles  the Mailman should be on there in the top 20 easily and borderline top 10, probably the 2nd best pf ever. I also think Curry will be on there by time the Warriors run is over. There are a lot of guys that are on the fringe and I would argue over some other guys, Mikan, I. Thomas (Pistons), Stockton, Pippen, Dirk.

I believe he was also the asst. equipment guy, he just liked helping others with thier shoes, so wouldn’t that be 2 more rings.  Technically he’s at 15 then.  

MJ 18
Russell 16
Kareem 15
LeBron 11
Magic 11
Duncan 11
Bird 10
Shaq 9
Kobe 8
Wilt 8
Cousy 7
Hakeem 7

Durant 7

Reed 6
Moses 5
DRob 5
Walton 5

Curry has 5 as well.

Also, Havlicek has 9.

Hey, math isn't my strong suit but he won 11 championships as a player and 2 championships as a coach. 11+2 I thought equals 13. 
Well I guess we agree on something.

But anyways, he was actually only given 11 physical rings.  And he also only has hoisted the trophy 11 times.  How you're getting 13 (if you're being serious) is astonishing. 

I don't think that is accurate at all. Any list that has Walton and Cowens inside the top 20 all time players isn't a very good list. Also adding All Star game MVPs is dumb too. I am not saying Walton or Cowens are bad players either, just not top 20 all time.
I also think 6th man is dumb.  Being the best bench player in the league doesn't really give any points at all to being the GOAT.  I get it doesn't have much relevance on the chart anyways, but still. 

But anyways, he was actually only given 11 physical rings.  And he also only has hoisted the trophy 11 times.  How you're getting 13 (if you're being serious) is astonishing. 
What if he lifted it over his head twice each year?  Or forgot to touch it one year.  We've entered the twilight zone of basketball accolades here.

Did he win 11 titles as a player? 

Did he win 2 titles as a coach?

If the answer is yes to both the above questions than it stands to reason he won 13 titles as a player and a coach.

Criteria for GOAT discussion:

3 or more titles

NBA Finals MVP on 50% or more of championships won

2 or more MVPs OR 1 DPOY

2 or more seasons of leading league in ppg, rpg, apg, bpg, or spg. OR avg triple double for 1 season. 

Top 10 all time in points, rebounds, or assists. 

Top what in PER and win share would be equivalent?

who would this leave?

Criteria for GOAT discussion:

3 or more titles

NBA Finals MVP on 50% or more of championships won

2 or more MVPs OR 1 DPOY

2 or more seasons of leading league in ppg, rpg, apg, bpg, or spg. OR avg triple double for 1 season. 

Top 10 all time in points, rebounds, or assists. 

Top what in PER and win share would be equivalent?

who would this leave?
Mitch Cumstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread