What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many haters.  SAD!

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/14/sixers-wizards-austin-rivers-comments-nba/

“That’s who they just added to the team? And nobody seems to talk about the Pacers because everybody’s so [expletive] gassed up on the Celtics and the Sixers,” Rivers said. “And rightfully so: they’re both talented teams. But Indiana is just as good as both those teams. And I think we’re in the same situation.”
https://www.slamonline.com/nba/jayson-tatum-swept-sixers/

Jayson Tatum: Celtics ‘Should Have Swept’ the Sixers
que sera sera

That rookie Cook on the Warriors looked pretty good these last two games. Also thrilled to see Damian Jones seems to have become a useful player this year after I tried to make him my "steal of the draft" in WIS last year. :rolleyes:
Quinn Cook? :oldunsure:  

Yes. Not a rookie. I mixed him up with Evans, who didn't seem to do a whole lot those 2 games. 
Yeah, he did decent as a sub for Curry last postseason.  He was the only one doing anything in their last preseason game vs. Lakers once the starters left the game.  

I watched both Lakers/Warriors games and don't remember Evans either which is never a good sign.  The Wednesday game had the highest preseason rating ever on ESPN.  That will be a really good series to watch this year.

Yeah, he did decent as a sub for Curry last postseason.  He was the only one doing anything in their last preseason game vs. Lakers once the starters left the game.  

I watched both Lakers/Warriors games and don't remember Evans either which is never a good sign.  The Wednesday game had the highest preseason rating ever on ESPN.  That will be a really good series to watch this year.
I think the Warriors will own the Lakers this year (barring injury). What's up with Iguodala? Didn't even see him on the bench these last two.

Yeah it sounds like Evans is out of the rotation to begin the year.

Agree with anonymous Warriors player, McCaw should grab that offer with both hands.

SHould be a fun game tommorrow night, some things to check out:

1. Celtics rotation. And how deadly can Celtics' 2nd unit be?

2. Hope Celtics play defense on Simmons like they did in the playoffs. Would love to see what the Sixers do in response

3. Fultz will be fun, hoping he has a few jumpers and a good 10-12 points. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Allen died. Third bout with cancer. Crazy.
Its going to be quite the environment opening night in Portland. Seemed like a good owner all things considered. He provided a stable environment and wasn't afraid to spend to win, even if they didn't always make the optimal roster management decisions.

Celtics went 7-2 against Philly last season and have won 9 straight games in Boston. They now have a healthy Irving and Hayward. Laying the 5 seems like a good idea.

Zack Lowe predicting Boston finishes 1st and Philly finishes 4th in the East. Seems about right although I’m not as high on Philly as him.

Bucks acquire a future 2nd round pick, suspended player Jodie Meeks and cash for a future 2nd round pick from the Wizards

Meeks expected to be waived

uhhhhh.... what?
washington has been teetering on the tax line all summer.  i assume that this gives them slightly more breathing room and milwaukee will pick up a better second round pick in the future for their trouble.

With a luxury tax bill of approximately $19 million on the way, the Washington Wizards gave themselves some salary relief on Monday by trading veteran guard Jodie Meeks to the Milwaukee Bucks.

The Wizards attached a future second round pick and cash to the deal and in exchange received a future second round pick of their own, NBC Sports Washington has confirmed. ESPN first reported the news.

Though Meeks, 31, was due to make $3.45 million this season, his departure saves the Wizards about $7 million because of projected tax penalties. That's a lot of savings in a deal that got rid of a player who had become expendable.

Its going to be quite the environment opening night in Portland. Seemed like a good owner all things considered. He provided a stable environment and wasn't afraid to spend to win, even if they didn't always make the optimal roster management decisions.
He was a good owner.  He stepped in and bought the Blazers at a time when Portland was very close to moving to San Diego.  He was able to get a new arena built and despite losing close to a billion dollars personally over the years, inked like a 25 year lease for the Blazers to play in Portland.  His family and cohorts though his ownership of the team was foolheartedly and I don't think he ever made any money running the team.  But he loved it.  He sat near the basket at almost every game, usually accompanied by the GM and always - ALWAYS - a really hot chick in his vicinity.   That was always a highlight for me going to the games was to find him, then find his 'date' for the game.  Knockouts.  

He knew Portland would never land the big name free agents, but that didn't stop him from opening up his wallet and trying.  He desperately wanted to win and sometimes got in the way.  He didn't mesh well with GMs and wanted his fingerprints on the team, but as a guy who grew up in Dallas and watched the work of Jerry Jones, I'll take Paul Allen's approach any day of the week.  

Two weeks ago, it was announced that his Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma was back, but that he was seeking treatment (as alluded to earlier, he had the BEST medical care money could buy) and it was thought he'd beat this back just like he did previously.  And that was it on that front.  So yesterday was a big surprise out here, as I'm sure it was in Seattle and beyond.  

My boss is going to the game Thursday.  I'm pretty jealous as I think it will be pretty special at the Moda Center.

I think the Warriors will own the Lakers this year (barring injury). What's up with Iguodala? Didn't even see him on the bench these last two.
Lakers played GS tough last year - remember those 2 OT games?  I think the games this season will be good matchups.  :shrug:

Lakers played GS tough last year - remember those 2 OT games?  I think the games this season will be good matchups.  :shrug:
They barely tried in the Finals according to some.  What makes you think they tried half as hard during regular season games against the non-playoff Lakers?

Lakers are going to try and play D and have a high pace, without having much outside shooting. That's the Warrior's game plus having the best long range shooters in the league. Also, the Lakers aren't a throw away game for the W's anymore. Maybe the Lakers play them tougher towards the end of the season when these guys figure out how to play with each other, but its going to be tough for the Lakers to hang with the W's early on. I guess the good news is they don't meet until late December.

Lakers are going to try and play D and have a high pace, without having much outside shooting. That's the Warrior's game plus having the best long range shooters in the league. Also, the Lakers aren't a throw away game for the W's anymore. Maybe the Lakers play them tougher towards the end of the season when these guys figure out how to play with each other, but its going to be tough for the Lakers to hang with the W's early on. I guess the good news is they don't meet until late December.
Right - but isn't this what they did last year as well, with even worse shooting than they have now? 

I think GS wins the season series 3-1, so we're arguing semantics.  I just object to your using the term "own".  Have some pride buddy!    :)

They barely tried in the Finals according to some.  What makes you think they tried half as hard during regular season games against the non-playoff Lakers?
I think the Lakers matchup with GS better than most teams, and I think Walton knows GS better than most.  I can't predict the motivation levels of GS in December games against the Lakers in 2017 vs 2018.  :shrug:

Right - but isn't this what they did last year as well, with even worse shooting than they have now? 

I think GS wins the season series 3-1, so we're arguing semantics.  I just object to your using the term "own".  Have some pride buddy!    :)
Lakers are going to have 50+ wins, make the playoffs, and be a blast to watch - barring significant injury. Losing the series to the Warriors isn't going to bring me down - the Warriors are an all time great team.

Lakers are going to have 50+ wins, make the playoffs, and be a blast to watch - barring significant injury. Losing the series to the Warriors isn't going to bring me down - the Warriors are an all time great team.
can we agree to 49 wins, please :). Bet pretty heavy under 49.5 wins.

So Heyward can't wait until after the game to write in his journal. Definitely is a guy i would want to give a max contract too

Anyone not watching the Ringer live watch is doing life all wrong. I'm not sure any of these dudes have ever made a basket on a regulation hoop. Joe House is a 50 year old guy in a Gilligan hat. Oooooooof.

Edit: I expected Julie Litman to be way more attractive than she is. I don't know who the black guy next to Simmons is, but he's the only one I don't want to punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread