What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 College Football Thread: Local man buys some teenage champions a 4 for 4 (1 Viewer)

Uruk-Hai said:
I'm a Maryland fan and I'd have to think so. If this stuff is true, run his ### out of town on a rail.

The older I get, the more disenchanted I become with the whole "football = military" crap. If humiliation and abuse are what it takes to make good football teams (& Maryland isn't even good!), then it's not worth it.
Agree, as long as that rail takes them straight to jail. (I'm guessing the 45-60 to get that kid to "walk it off" after collapsing demonstrates negligence.)

Agree, as long as that rail takes them straight to jail. (I'm guessing the 45-60 to get that kid to "walk it off" after collapsing demonstrates negligence.)
There's also a report that one of the coaches said something like "drag his ### off the field"

I think this stuff goes on at every major program.

Have you guys ever stepped back and really listened to these coaches speak? They are warped, insane lunatics with no perspective. It's obvious with nutballs like Harbaugh and Leach, but they all sound like unhinged Neanderthals to me. 
Players don’t die at every program. 

No, they haven't. I think it's a roulette wheel
This seems a bit more than bad luck. How many players have died from non-genetic condition type things over the years?  If the guy has an undiagnosed heart condition it’s one thing, but as far as just over exertion, I can only think of your guy and Korey stringer who was 17 years ago. 

This day and age with the tech we have, it’s inexcusable. I work out at a gym that tells me my heart and burn rate at all times. As soon as I walk in the door, my name pops up on the tv. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want you guys to get me wrong, thinking I'm trying to deflect. A young man died and - if the reports are true - the environment at Maryland caused it. Everyone involved should be held accountable to whatever extent the law allows.

But I don't think this kind of thing - the abuse & humiliation - is isolated to College Park, MD and a middling (at best) program.

But I don't think this kind of thing - the abuse & humiliation - is isolated to College Park, MD and a middling (at best) program.
It’s not as isolated as you say but IMO not as prevalent as you think. It’s programs like UMD that have designs on something better that are susceptible to hiring guys like this. 

Being stuck in the B1G East, 5th place and a Christmas week bowl shown on ESPN6 is their lane. They’re not getting out of it without leaving B1G. 

I seriously doubt MD is the only program that has pushed a guy this far.  Like Uruk-Hai alluded to, I bet it happens quite a bit and this was just the unlucky scenario where it actually resulted in a death.  That's not to excuse them in any way or say it's OK, but I doubt they're alone in being wrong on this one.

Kind of like I'm sure there are a whole lot of FBGs here that have driven at least once when they'd had a little too much to drink, but the difference between that person thinking about that anecdote right now and that person being in prison for the rest of their life is that they luckily didn't come across a situation where totally sober reaction times were needed to avoid it.

A 21 year old body can withstand a lot of stress.  I remember growing up in central Florida and playing football/basketball at 110% for hours every afternoon in 90 degree heat with 95% humidity and sweating out enough water to fill a bathtub every day.  If I did that now I'd be dead.  And I'm sure a lot of programs are getting by over exerting these kids who are fit enough to handle it.  I agree that changes need to be made to prevent this.

I am sure you were confident during the 12 straight beatdowns!  By the way, I didn't say I am confident, I was agreeing with GM that if Herbert stays healthy Oregon has a real shot.
Actually, I was confident the Huskies would lose most of those games, because I know a #### team when I see one.

That comes with knowing what to look for and knowing what you are watching.

Actually, I was confident the Huskies would lose most of those games, because I know a #### team when I see one.

That comes with knowing what to look for and knowing what you are watching.
It is nice to see Washington be competitve again and get off the doormat of the Pac 12.  You would think after the past few years they would not be being outrecruited by Oregon.  Then again, most high school kids today grew up watching Oregon dominate and the Huskies were hot garbage.

It is nice to see Washington be competitve again and get off the doormat of the Pac 12.  You would think after the past few years they would not be being outrecruited by Oregon.  Then again, most high school kids today grew up watching Oregon dominate and the Huskies were hot garbage.
Yeah.  Those recruiting rankings really tell the story of the past two UW-UO games.

Must be the coaching. :shrug:  

Yeah.  Those recruiting rankings really tell the story of the past two UW-UO games.

Must be the coaching. :shrug:  
It absolutely was the coaching, Helfrich was in over his head and Peterson is probably the best coach along with Shaw in the Pac 12.  Of course, UW did benefit both years with Oregon's quarterback getting hurt right before the game and had true freshman playing quarterback against them.  Hopefully that is not the case this year.

My point is Oregon is crushing Washington in recruiting and the butt sniffers are panicking.

My point is that recruiting rankings (within similar tiers of teams) don’t matter that much.

Of the 6 classes (2011-2016) that could have played in the past two games UO was ranked above UW in 5 of those years, by double digits in 4 of them. 

https://twitter.com/KyleRowland/status/1029046451412914176

Zach Smith was arrested in Dublin for OVI in 2013. The former OSU WR coach refused to take a breathalyzer. The incident was previously unreported.

Zach Smith knows where all of Urban's bodies are buried.  He must have the proof of the boosters daughter rumor at Florida and more.
Or these men who are the most successful and powerful in their field truly don't give a #### about how their people conduct themselves, as long as no one finds out.

From what I'm reading on twitter, pretty extraordinary press conference at MD. As a lawyer, I think, "What the hell are you doing?!?" As a human, I applaud them for taking this stance.

--

#Maryland president Wallace Loh said that #Maryland "accepts legal and moral responsibility" for the "mistakes our training staff made" in the death of OL Jordan McNair.

Wallace Loh calls the behavior in Friday's ESPN report "unacceptable."

Maryland president Wallace Loh is agreeing with what the McNair family's lawyers have been saying all along -- this was preventable.

From what I'm reading on twitter, pretty extraordinary press conference at MD. As a lawyer, I think, "What the hell are you doing?!?" As a human, I applaud them for taking this stance.

--

#Maryland president Wallace Loh said that #Maryland "accepts legal and moral responsibility" for the "mistakes our training staff made" in the death of OL Jordan McNair.

Wallace Loh calls the behavior in Friday's ESPN report "unacceptable."

Maryland president Wallace Loh is agreeing with what the McNair family's lawyers have been saying all along -- this was preventable.
I'm an engineer, but I'm guessing that UMD and the family are close to a settlement. Next, they break off the HC and can put the unfortunate incident behind them.

AD Evans: "We know enough now to share some of the preliminary findings. We have learned that Jordan did not receive appropriate medical care."

Evans: "Emergency response plan was not appropriately followed. The care we provided was not consistent with best practices. The heat illness was not properly identified or treated. Athletic training staff did not take his temperature or apply a cold water immersion treatment."

I don't think Durkin is ever coaching at MD again but this tweet seems like the training staff is going to get the blame.

Scott Dochterman‏Verified account @ScottDochterman

Maryland AD Damon Evans on preliminary findings: McNair did not receive appropriate care and mistakes were made by training staff. Emergency plan was insufficient. Training staff did not take McNair's temperature. (Kudos for accountability and honesty, but wow.)

Users who are viewing this thread