What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Free Agency (1 Viewer)

Great get for the Phins. I recently traded for Drake and think this good for him too.
I agree with this. Gore is a great locker room guy, and a solid pass blocker, he also brings toughness and is still valuable in short yardage. He's not a starter for them, but he could help a bunch, and could be an excellent mentor for Drake.

Ndamukong Suh on the Rams defense would be absolutely filthy. I would feel bad for the quarterbacks in the NFC West.
Fingers crossed! ?

Suh signing and AD agreeing to an extension would put a nice cap to an amazing offseason.  

Jello_Biafra said:
No, because Gore isn't a real threat to be the starter and can mentor young Drake.
Just curious on RB's mentoring other RB's. I can see veteran QB's looking at game film and showing younger QB's what to look for and holes in the defense. But what can an older RB really share with a younger RB? Maybe blitz pick up . . . or to stay out of nasty strip clubs. But I don't really see as much on-field value from bringing in an old dog to teach another guy new tricks. Put another way, I'm not sure a guy on his last legs with a 3.7 ypc is really going to be much help to a guy that get a yard to a yard an a half more per carry. Any carry Gore gets would be better suited going to someone else at this stage of the game.

But what can an older RB really share with a younger RB?
I for sure can't recall a bunch of RB's falling off the Gore mentor tree.

I don't own Drake, if I did, this is the kind of signing I would have liked to see. So far so good for Drake this off-season.

I like the Gore signing for Drake not because of any mentoring or anything, but because if this is the "competition" they're bringing in for Drake it's among the weakest they could have brought in.  Damien Williams is gone too.  Next to Gore, Drake is going to look like he's running a 4.1 forty out there.

Just curious on RB's mentoring other RB's. I can see veteran QB's looking at game film and showing younger QB's what to look for and holes in the defense. But what can an older RB really share with a younger RB? Maybe blitz pick up . . . or to stay out of nasty strip clubs. But I don't really see as much on-field value from bringing in an old dog to teach another guy new tricks. Put another way, I'm not sure a guy on his last legs with a 3.7 ypc is really going to be much help to a guy that get a yard to a yard an a half more per carry. Any carry Gore gets would be better suited going to someone else at this stage of the game.
Yeah, I see what you're saying but having a guy who has been successful at his job for as long as Gore,can only be a positive influence on younger players. He's a role model for guys in their 20s. A mentor can be more than someone that can teach you how to live on the field, but can show how to live off the field.

Bottom line is that this signing is a positive for Drake. With Williams gone Drake should have a clear path to getting carries.

I like the Gore signing for Drake not because of any mentoring or anything, but because if this is the "competition" they're bringing in for Drake it's among the weakest they could have brought in.  Damien Williams is gone too.  Next to Gore, Drake is going to look like he's running a 4.1 forty out there.
mostly what i was thinking too. Gore can be a good infuence but especially in the game preparation. Drake needs to take care of himself if he's going to be the lead for the season.

As far as Frank Gore himself is concerned, you can damn well bet he signed on with the Dolphins intending to be the starting RB, as far as he's concerned, at least. At least that's the mindset he brings to the table, and the approach he's going to bring to camp. Anyone who knows anything about Frank Gore can't dispute that.

Also, hasn't the coaching staff repeatedly indicated that they would prefer to have Drake operating in some sort of time share, as they don't believe he's built to handle a full load, and to maximize potential production of the touches he does receive?

Now, I'm a big fan of electrifying players like Drake, and I like him plenty...but the storyline of Frank Gore coming home to 'the U' to finish out the twilight of his career has to be compelling to anyone who's a Gore afficianado. I know he's 35, but the guy is a Terminator, and someone is going to have to pry the football from his cold, dead hands when his career comes to an end...and now he's back where he made his bones. Like he needs anything more to motivate him to outperform expectations again...

This could have a positive or negative effect on Drake, we have to see how it plays out. He's an Alabama boy, so I'm inclined to believe he can handle the pressure of having an old-school warrior who doesn't know the meaning of quit, sharing reps with him...

You go on ahead and bet against Gore. OK by me to let someone else be right about it, and miss out. I'll bet he carves out some kind of role for himself that impacts Drake's production vs draft position dynamic. Until I have more info, I wouldn't draft Drake as anything more than a flex, and I think you have to pay more than that right now to get him.

According to Yahoo's Jordan Schultz, the Jets have emerged as a "serious suitor" for free agent Ndamukong Suh.

While the Jets haven't arranged a visit yet, coach Todd Bowles has spoken with Suh and told him "precisely" how the team plans on using him. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, New York has presented the "biggest offer" for Suh, who is also being pursued by the Rams, Saints and Titans. The Jets have made considerable improvements to their team through free agency and adding Suh to the defense would be icing on the cake. Landing Suh would more than make up for the loss of Muhammad Wilkerson.

Related: Jets

Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter 

Mar 23 - 2:56 PM

He turned down the deal Britt got from Cleveland to bet on himself and most people I know and respect were critical of Cleveland for letting him go and  thought WAS got a steal. Easy to say it was a bad deal now, don't know anyone saying that last year.
I think the fact that CLE turned around and offered Britt the same deal that they were offering Pryor only reaffirms that the league doesn't have as high an opinion on him as we all did. 

I certainly thought WAS got a steal when they signed him to that contract. Which is why I said I don't think the league thought that much of him at this time last year.

Users who are viewing this thread