What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Ryder Cup - Sept. 28-30, 2018 Le Golf National Paris, France (2 Viewers)

He's definitely not a closer.  I think he will eventually get one though, he seems to get himself into position through Saturday enough.   One of these times he will string it together for the whole weekend. In general he is an overrated golfer, with nothing to show.
He's finished 2nd in every major and won the TPC.  He'll get it but his driving is the weak spot.  Augusta seems like the one he'll get to me.  

Most losses in Ryder Cup history: Phil

Second most losses in Ryder Cup history: Tiger

Third most lossss in Ryder Cup history: Furyk

Betting on Europe every two years is one of the best value bets in sports. They are always underdogs and almost always win.

Lot of craziness in here.  There's a reason the US has only won in Europe twice in the last 30 years.  It's hard to beat the Europeans at their game.  Believe me, this course was a completely different style of golf than most of the US was used to.

They didn't cut the rough for 2 months.  Even the US Open doesn't go as crazy as they did.  

They narrowed the fairways down so that at 280+ yards almost all the fairways were barely 20 yards across to take away the US's length advantage.  

They had the greens running much slower than the championship speed the US courses are known for.

It's a big deal to be able to set up a course to your team's advantage.  It's an even bigger deal to have 50,000 fans cheering for your side.  Was it still disappointing?  Yes, but it wasn't surprising.

If I'm the US Captain in 2020, I'm asking Whistling Straights to widen the fairways to 50-60 yards across and to cut every bit of rough on the course to 1-2 inches.  No long thick rough, no fescue.  Just short and easy for any strong player to hit out of.  Let's see our big bombers swing like they're in a scramble all weekend.

Then, roll all the greens to a 13+ and shave all the false edges and run offs down, so that a 2-3 club difference in iron length becomes a huge advantage.  Give some of that home cooking back to them.
This is how Hazeltine set it up. 

Finau was a perfectly acceptable pick.  I don't see how you keep Tiger off the team in any situation.  Guy is for all intents world #1 in recent month or two.  

Johnny calling out the captains picks.  

Phil was an abortion of a pick.  That much is clear.  Chambeau....dunno.  Maybe.   
Chambeaux was bad. Phil was worse. Patrick Reed blew chunks. Tiger played horrible. That's why there USA lost. Everyone else played good enough.

Tiger winning last week was the worst thing that could have happened to him as far as the Ryder Cup goes.  Easy to see how he'd have a let down.

We need a couple more Thomas/Spieth types.  Not even sure who that'd be though.

Tiger winning last week was the worst thing that could have happened to him as far as the Ryder Cup goes.  Easy to see how he'd have a let down.

We need a couple more Thomas/Spieth types.  Not even sure who that'd be though.
Yeah he doesn't ever seem excited to be there.

JuniorGong said:
Betting on Europe every two years is one of the best value bets in sports. They are always underdogs and almost always win.
During the course of play, for extra motivation European team captain, Thomas Bjørn, promised that if they won, he'd get a tattoo with the final score.

Today he said it will be in a place where only his wife gets to see it - although the team mates would get a snap.

Dic pics?

Our captain's picks were Tiger, Phil, and Bryson.  That's it.  We can ##### all we want about them, but who was better for the team?  

Bryson was one of the better golfers down the stretch this year as far as results go and had a nice chunk of top 30's this season.  But, he was unimpressive in the majors/The Players and didn't play in the match play event.  Those are big red flags IMO, but who's complaining today about Jim's picks if he left a "top 10" ranked golfer at home?  

Phil was just a bad pick, enough said there.

Tiger I'm on board with and I don't think there's 4 golfers (Bubba included) we left at home that change anything anyways.

Zach and Kuchar are at the top of my list and Zach is on the team for sure over Phil.  

Other than that, who is there?  Schauffele, Sneds, Stanley, Cantlay, Keegan, Berger, Woodland????  A few cases can be made here I guess.  

Agree with those that said the outcome wasn't a surprise.  The course was shaped to benefit the Euros.  We should always do the same when we host.  I bet the US would be on board with having less spots as automatic and more captain's picks.  Although, let's not repeat with Furyk as captain.  Some of those match-ups were head scratchers.  

Phil should be an assistant captain, not a player. His playing days on the team should be over.  I don't have a problem with tiger out there, just stop putting him in team matches.  He's never done well there and his record proves it.  He's been okay in singles historically.  

Zack Johnson's game would fit well at that venue, yet he's not a captain's pick.  I think Zack and/or Kuch should have been playing instead of Phil.  

Zack would also be a better team player than, say, DJ at that venue.  Zack putts better than DJ every day.  

On a positive note, I like the fact that we have Justin Thomas at Ryder Cups for the foreseeable future.  Guy's a strong competitor in any format.  Spieth should be but he is too streaky.  

So we took a team over there that can't hit it straight and can't make big putts.  Meanwhile, Europe only has 2 of those types in Rory and Rahm.  Their other 10 are grinders.

In retrospect we should make captains picks that fit the course, rather than those playing the best.  Three of the captains - Furyk, Kuchar, and Johnson would have played great on this course.  Kisner is another that comes to mind as a great putter.

US captains picks as far as I remember ...   Tiger got 0.  Phil got 0.  Finau got 1.  DeChambeau got 0.  I may be off a bit, but there's your answer to why the U.S. lost.

At Whistling Straights we should make the course 7600 yards, soft, and trim the rough to 1 inch over 280 yards from the tee.
Agree with all points.

Finau went 2-1 and Ricky was 1-3, IIRC.  Finau won the first morning 4 ball match and then didn't play again until Saturday.  Phil played Friday afternoon and was waxed.  Finau took the first day hero, T. Fleetwood, to the woodshed on the last day.  

Our captain's picks were Tiger, Phil, and Bryson.  That's it.  We can ##### all we want about them, but who was better for the team?  

Bryson was one of the better golfers down the stretch this year as far as results go and had a nice chunk of top 30's this season.  But, he was unimpressive in the majors/The Players and didn't play in the match play event.  Those are big red flags IMO, but who's complaining today about Jim's picks if he left a "top 10" ranked golfer at home?  

Phil was just a bad pick, enough said there.

Tiger I'm on board with and I don't think there's 4 golfers (Bubba included) we left at home that change anything anyways.

Zach and Kuchar are at the top of my list and Zach is on the team for sure over Phil.  

Other than that, who is there?  Schauffele, Sneds, Stanley, Cantlay, Keegan, Berger, Woodland????  A few cases can be made here I guess.  
I would drop tiger, Phil and dechambeau 

Add Keegan, shaufflie and either patrick cantlay or Kevin na or Kyle Stanley

Phil got old quick

Tiger was tired and unmotivated

Dechambeau was ok but he's not a guy I want in match play, too analytical

Any of you actually thinking Tiger would have, should have, or could have been cut are out of your ####### minds.  Was absolutely never going to happen.  And short of injury he'll probably make (if not outright qualify) for the next one.

Any of you actually thinking Tiger would have, should have, or could have been cut are out of your ####### minds.  Was absolutely never going to happen.  And short of injury he'll probably make (if not outright qualify) for the next one.
Would have? No. Because all the fan-bois would have a cow. Should have? That's a completely different question. Woods has never really ever gotten good results at this event. He doesn't have a winning record all time, and this includes the time when he actually playing well on a consistent round by round basis. Sadly, this isn't even the first time he's gone win-less in the event. Last time he was playing on a winning team he needed to be carried. The captains have struggle to find anyone to play with him. He generally excels in singles, but thats it.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/tiger-woods-ryder-cup-career-record

Would have? No. Because all the fan-bois would have a cow. Should have? That's a completely different question. Woods has never really ever gotten good results at this event. He doesn't have a winning record all time, and this includes the time when he actually playing well on a consistent round by round basis. Sadly, this isn't even the first time he's gone win-less in the event. Last time he was playing on a winning team he needed to be carried. The captains have struggle to find anyone to play with him. He generally excels in singles, but thats it.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/tiger-woods-ryder-cup-career-record
There is absolutely no precedent to sit the OWGR #1 player.  You have to be out of your mind to think this would ever happen even if he was 0-40.  

A better question might be if Tiger should decide on his own to opt out in the future. He could make up a reason. Nagging injuries, time with family, give the younger players a shot, other commitments, wants to see whatever the latest Avemgers movie is. Dealer’s choice on this one.

1) Of course the Euros just played a tournament there on June 28, opposite the Quicken Loans in the US. :rolleyes:  How about our boys make it over there to get some rounds in? If not at that tourney how about another trip over there? It’s like the US and Furyk had no idea what the course was like. Wtf? 

2) Do we need to have the option to stick with a Captain for multiple Ryder Cups like Colangelo/Krzyzewski for USA Basketball? Azinger? Crenshaw?

3) Yes the weather is changing for Fall, but how about a week off after the Tour Championship? Definite disadvantage there. Draining and I’m sure it affected Tiger. Euros would probably prefer a break too although only 6 made the TC vs 11 for the US.

4) As was said Tiger was a no-brainer pick. Knowing what the course is now, I would’ve gone with Tiger, Finau (birdie machine this year), Schauffele and Zach Johnson. Hard to turn down DeChambeau being 7th in OWGR. He may be there for a while so it’s nice to get the young blood some matches.

5) Too bad Bubba and Phil were there. Revamp the automatic picks again and take the Top 5 plus 7 Captains Picks two weeks before. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:
Facts are hard. 
They are and they aren't on your side here.

Or are you actually going to try to defend how great of a pick Woods was when he goes 0-fer the week? When he looked tired and drained pretty much the entire time. I'll stand back and watch. I can't wait for the mental gymnastics here. 

A quick google search will show that he hasn't been the best Ryder Cup player even when he was far and away best the golfer around. It really shouldn't be too hard to accept that now that he is not close to being the overwhelming force that he was, that even worse results at the RyderCup were possible. 

The guy who could have really helped the US this weekend was Kevin Kisner. He is one of the best putters on tour. Billy Horschel is another great putter that could have helped the US. Both would have been out of the box picks but that Is probably what was required if they were going to win on foreign soil.

Patrick Reed and his crazy wife came out swinging before all the champagne had been finished which is great. God that crazy broad must be an absolute handful but she certainly has that fat cheater fully in her corner.

Amazing he went from 656 to 13 in like 8 months and 22 tourneys.  

You would think he would have a good record in fourball.  I get the relationship stuff for alternate shot, but not fourball.  Just go score.

The guy who could have really helped the US this weekend was Kevin Kisner. He is one of the best putters on tour. Billy Horschel is another great putter that could have helped the US. Both would have been out of the box picks but that Is probably what was required if they were going to win on foreign soil.

Patrick Reed and his crazy wife came out swinging before all the champagne had been finished which is great. God that crazy broad must be an absolute handful but she certainly has that fat cheater fully in her corner.
This year's edition of the RyderCup team needed guys more in the Corey Pavin type mold. Length off the tee wasn't needed here (and you could make a case that it actually hurt. Not a lot of drivers were being pulled). Corey was always a short hitter and he was forced to be accurate. He made his money on and around the greens.  

Forgot about Kisner.  Sneds was in my list for his putting, but Kisner is probably the better name there at the moment.  

Users who are viewing this thread