What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Ryder Cup - Hazeltine (1 Viewer)

I cringe when people judge someone based on a 10 second interaction like an autograph-asking, or whatever it might be. A-holes have good days, and good guys have bad days, just like the rest of us. Who the hell knows what else is going on in famous people's lives during those few seconds you interrupt them.

That said, Reed is a pretty well-documented #####. Maybe he's grown up some though. 
I personally wouldn't care if a Tour pro was a jerk to me and I wouldn't judge him on that.  But they should always be nice to the kids no matter what their mood is.

But if enough people get that negative 10 second impression on a player, you get the comments like "Tour player X is generally a jerk".

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally that's true that guys don't like to, but it's part of the gig and I don't necessarily agree that the fans are interfering with their practice time.   It's a practice round or a pro-am.  They get used to it.

A lot of the bigger stars only sign after their round like Phil.  Phil was very nice to the crowd about that on the course....that he would be there all day if he started signing in between holes.   Most players aren't completely hounded by autographs.....they probably sign 5-20 in between holes and take a minute or two.
Some tournaments have no signing policies during rounds and designated places for guys to sign after the round. Guys are grinding during those practice rounds. It's not like another sport where you sign a contract and get paid no matter what.  Their performance is directly linked to their paycheck. Miss the cut and get nothing. Miss the cut a lot and you're off the tour. I'm on Reed's side here.

How about Bubba Watson this week? A lot of people here mentioned that he isn't well liked by his peers but I heard player after player comment on how awesome he was this week. He was on the course rooting USA on and Snedeker and Z Johnson talked about how much he inspired their play.

Bubba post win interview

Nice job Bubba!  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some tournaments have no signing policies during rounds and designated places for guys to sign after the round. Guys are grinding during those practice rounds. It's not like another sport where you sign a contract and get paid no matter what.  Their performance is directly linked to their paycheck. Miss the cut and get nothing. Miss the cut a lot and you're off the tour. I'm on Reed's side here.
They aren't grinding during the pro am. 

I cringe when people judge someone based on a 10 second interaction like an autograph-asking, or whatever it might be. A-holes have good days, and good guys have bad days, just like the rest of us. Who the hell knows what else is going on in famous people's lives during those few seconds you interrupt them.

That said, Reed is a pretty well-documented #####. Maybe he's grown up some though. 
While that seems like a reasonable perspective, here's the thing: when you have a public persona, that 10 second judgement comes with the territory. Most of us working stiffs who will never have 15 minutes of fame don't actually know what that's like. But when you're famous - and it doesn't matter if by famous I mean "kind of a big deal in Williamsburg for being a DJ" or a world class athlete, you know that's the deal. I see people who are well known clothing designers or minor hit performing artists deal with people graciously 24/7/365. It's not that big of a deal, all it requires is being self-aware and caring about your own reputation.

Willie Neslon said:
Maybe that's true that there are no signing policies.  Personally that's lame.  At the Wells Fargo, players sign all over the place, the range, the course (only in between holes) and in the designated signing areas after rounds.

Of course, during competition, you never ask a pro for an autograph.

mr roboto said:
They aren't grinding during the pro am. 
I've caddied for a few.  The players, at least while out on the course, took the round pretty seriously - and by that I mean they were in their own little world practicing. 

fightingillini said:
I told my daughter that Reed was the pro.  In a pro-am, it's usually pretty obvious.  With Reed at that time, he was playing with two older heavy set guys that were smoking cigars while playing. 
Okay, let me play devils advocate.  If she didn't know who he was what's the point of getting an autograph?

At the Wells Fargo, players sign all over the place, the range, the course (only in between holes) and in the designated signing areas after rounds, at the branches, the kiosk at the mall, the imaginary online banking sites, in absentia, bank trucks, dealerships, atm's, and grocery store banks.

What a week. I wouldn't trade my experience with any fan except Dave Johnson, who came out of the stands to make a putt as was posted earlier.

The talent out there was tremendous, and the golf was pretty good too. I have lots of pics of WAGs and hotties that I'll post later.

Article is him being a major D-Bag in high school then at Georgia (17? years old).
Possibility he stole some money and cheated-got kicked out, went to another school
and was/is still a major D-Bag. How many people could be put under scrutiny at the
ages of 17-23 and not have something pop up? People didn't like this guy so they
are going to take any opportunity to pile on.

As long as he's not stealing and cheating (on the course) anymore, Reed seems like a guy who I can back and cheer for.  It actually sounds like his father may be the bigger problem over the long haul or at least the one who created the "monster".  That's a long article, but pretty good, and wish there was more transcript of the interview.  Did the piece (I think it said ESPN) he was trying to beat to market about Reed actually surface?

Guys, Reeds reputation has little to do with 10-second interactions. Read this...

http://tobaccoroadblues.com/2015/01/30/the-villain-patrick-reed/
Interesting read. I found this particular quote interesting:

"The other problem was his outward shows of confidence, which crossed over into a cocky, arrogant tone too often for Bill’s liking. He knew his son’s success somewhat depended on this self-assurance, but when Patrick introduced himself to strangers by saying things like, “I’m Patrick Reed, and I’ll kick the #### out of you at golf any time you want."

It's not a good trait but then again his confidence is a huge reason that he was successful in winning that match against McIlroy. A lot of players would have wilted in that four hole stretch (5-8) where McIlroy shot four under. Instead Reed threw it right back and ended up shooting eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie. He played head to head against a guy that might end up being considered the best European golfer of all time and thought he was the alpha male in the duo.

Interesting read. I found this particular quote interesting:

"The other problem was his outward shows of confidence, which crossed over into a cocky, arrogant tone too often for Bill’s liking. He knew his son’s success somewhat depended on this self-assurance, but when Patrick introduced himself to strangers by saying things like, “I’m Patrick Reed, and I’ll kick the #### out of you at golf any time you want."

It's not a good trait but then again his confidence is a huge reason that he was successful in winning that match against McIlroy. A lot of players would have wilted in that four hole stretch (5-8) where McIlroy shot four under. Instead Reed threw it right back and ended up shooting eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie. He played head to head against a guy that might end up being considered the best European golfer of all time and thought he was the alpha male in the duo.
And Rory actually liked Reeds bravado. 

Article is him being a major D-Bag in high school then at Georgia (17? years old).
Possibility he stole some money and cheated-got kicked out, went to another school
and was/is still a major D-Bag. How many people could be put under scrutiny at the
ages of 17-23 and not have something pop up?
People didn't like this guy so they
are going to take any opportunity to pile on.

Something? Sure, but his behavior rose to the level of pure #####. Guy has issues. People didn't like him for good reason. That said, maybe those same issues are why he's a match play beast.

I posted to answer Rodrigo's question. That's it, I think the article is crap and I'm done talking
about the content. The author is rushing a story out (nothing worth writing about). That's my take.

I've caddied for a few.  The players, at least while out on the course, took the round pretty seriously - and by that I mean they were in their own little world practicing. 
practice? practice? we're talking about practice? not a game...

What a TREMENDOUS experience.  Stayed at an airbnb rental in Chaska 3 miles away.  Phenomenal course. Perfect for hosting major events. Lots of people but still room to see the action up close. Golf was so good. International Pavilion and hospitality tents were perfect when needing a break. 

Celebrated at Heartbreakers, then local took us to Lord Fletcher's, a guy then offered to take 8 of us across the lake to Maynard's for more partying. Perfect weather.  MN represented well in every regard  

And to have MNF the day after was icing on the cake. One of the best 3 day runs of my life. More Ryder Cups in my future. USA!!!!

What a TREMENDOUS experience.  Stayed at an airbnb rental in Chaska 3 miles away.  Phenomenal course. Perfect for hosting major events. Lots of people but still room to see the action up close. Golf was so good. International Pavilion and hospitality tents were perfect when needing a break. 

Celebrated at Heartbreakers, then local took us to Lord Fletcher's, a guy then offered to take 8 of us across the lake to Maynard's for more partying. Perfect weather.  MN represented well in every regard  

And to have MNF the day after was icing on the cake. One of the best 3 day runs of my life. More Ryder Cups in my future. USA!!!!
So jealous of you right now. 

Than. Sounds. Awesome!  :thumbup:

Never caddied but I marshaled a round on the Seniors tour a long time ago. The threesome was Lee Trevino, Rocky Thompson & Terry Dill. I followed them around and keep score and documented stats (i.e. fairways hit, sand saves, etc). Lee was playing a decent round but leaving a lot of birdies on the course and was getting frustrated. His caddie was Herman Mitchell and from what I understand he and Lee were friends off the course. After one drive that didn't stay in the fairway Herman asks Lee if he needs another tee. Lee reaches down, snaps up the tee just used, held it up and says "No! Does it look like I need another tee?!" Under his breath Herman says "F**k you Lee." I can't help but laugh and he looks over at me and with a huge smile on his face says "Need another tee Lee? No? Well f**k you."

He chatted me the up the rest of the round. Very entertaining and funny.

Herman Mitchell

My friend got me in to work a Ryder Cup and a PGA at Oakland Hills. I just drove around making sure the golfers had access to water, drinks or whatever they needed before and during the round.  It was great..was able to see the action right up close.  I was told not to really buddy up to any golfers or caddies and I did not care...but observing these guys from close range for a few days in a row I will say one thing.  I have never seen a bigger group of spoiled, pompous, grown men.  You have to realize other than playing the game every single thing is done for them.  Some complained that the free Lincoln they were driving for the week was not the color they wanted and it just never ended.  

I just keep coming into this thread to see if anyone posted the WAG photos yet, but still nothing.  I'll keep waiting.

How did you get into Maynards?   We went to Excelsior on Thursday evening in downtown was pretty packed and it wasn't even the start of the tournament yet. 

Also, pro tip for anybody visiting Minnesota in the summer. Maynards is on Lake Minnetonka and has the best buffet Sunday mornings you will find anywhere.

My college roommate has an in at Hazeltine and I just couldn't fit going in my schedule last time.  Here's to hoping he has the same connection in ten years. 
I went all 4 competition days. Never again. Go on Saturday. Come over to my house we will watch on my big screen with some booze the other days. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I love the Ryder Cup and I’ve been twice now full weeks. It’s too soon imo. I heard on the radio that since it started in 1927 it’s never been held at the same course in the USA twice. Now twice in 12 years?

Users who are viewing this thread