What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Democratic Primaries (2 Viewers)

I've always liked Joe Biden, even before he became VP, but he looked like he has aged a lot recently when I saw him on TV this weekend.

Who will be the most moderate Dem candidate? Some extreme positions coming from the people who have announced so far. Hard to get behind any of them.

I've always liked Joe Biden, even before he became VP, but he looked like he has aged a lot recently when I saw him on TV this weekend.

Who will be the most moderate Dem candidate? Some extreme positions coming from the people who have announced so far. Hard to get behind any of them.
Klobuchar said she will make a decision shortly whether to make a 2020 bid. She's would a strong moderate candidate. She outperformed Hillary by 22 points in Minnesota, which is an indicator of likeability.

Klobuchar said she will make a decision shortly whether to make a 2020 bid. She's would a strong moderate candidate. She outperformed Hillary by 22 points in Minnesota, which is an indicator of likeability.
I liked how she handled herself during the Kavanaugh hearings but don't know much about her. Thx.

Reading some commentary about Harris, and not liking what I see too much.  She's light on details, no shame there at this stage, but she sounds like a spender, an authoritarian, and a shamer by nature.  So I'm ruling her out.  There are plenty of other options.

Reading some commentary about Harris, and not liking what I see too much.  She's light on details, no shame there at this stage, but she sounds like a spender, an authoritarian, and a shamer by nature.  So I'm ruling her out.  There are plenty of other options.
There isn't a single one that isn't a spender...not one.  They are all going to spend money.  The only question remains is do you approve of what they are choosing to spend the money on.

There isn't a single one that isn't a spender...not one.  They are all going to spend money.  The only question remains is do you approve of what they are choosing to spend the money on.
I am inclined to NOT approve of grandiose spending plans unless believable actuarial information is also provided.  I'd rather just roll forward doing what we are doing now with tweaks where appropriate.

I don't mind a Democratic politician throwing out a laundry list of spending programs 2 years before the election, as Harris is doing.  That is what I would expect.  With Harris, it is the other two things I mentioned (authoritarian, and a shamer) that point me elsewhere.  DAs can be trouble!

I'm not even sure how they can keep a straight face going down that road. 
The posters who populate my ignore list will waste no time in trying to make this an issue. It's a false equivalency issue that today's Trump supporters simply won't be able to resist.

That Harris's fling 20 years ago is the same as Donald's marital indiscretions.
I'm not sure I agree on the "false equivalency" part, but obviously you're right that Trump supporters aren't in any position to criticize any other candidate for lapses in their personal life.  

I'm not sure I agree on the "false equivalency" part, but obviously you're right that Trump supporters aren't in any position to criticize any other candidate for lapses in their personal life.  
What's truly amazing is how easy it is for them to do so though with no real awareness.  It goes back to what I said in the thread about Mitch - there's a good number of people on the right today that just think they know what's best for everyone - any no amount of reasoning, logic, science, explanation or facts is going to change their mind.

First legit test of strength in Iowa, and Uncle Joe runs away with it.  No one else above 6% currently.

Biden - 29%
Harris - 18%
Sanders - 15%
Warren - 11%

This is the sort of thing that has to make Biden think hard about running.

Having said, it's early and the anyone above 1% isn't really dead yet IMO.  Iowa is goofballery for the most part, but the people there do have a chance to spend a lot of time with the candidates and make an informed choice once the caucuses roll around.

Would consider this a bad result for Sanders more than anyone else.  Spent a lot of time there in 2016, well established policy positions, and someone who over performed in caucuses the last time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
First legit test of strength in Iowa, and Uncle Joe runs away with it.  No one else above 6% currently.

Biden - 29%
Harris - 18%
Sanders - 15%
Warren - 11%

This is the sort of thing that has to make Biden think hard about running.

Having said, it's early and the anyone above 1% isn't really dead yet IMO.  Iowa is goofballery for the most part, but the people there do have a chance to spend a lot of time with the candidates and make an informed choice once the caucuses roll around.

Would consider this a bad result for Sanders more than anyone else.  Spent a lot of time there in 2016, well established policy positions, and someone who over performed in caucuses the last time around.
Who is the most popular politician in the US?

Who is the most popular politician in the US?
Yeah, that's probably all we're measuring this far out.  But he's still had a double-digit lead in every poll I've seen for the last couple months.

Actually... just looked it up at RCP and that's almost accurate.  Biden's had a double-digit lead over everyone else in all polls for the last 60 days, except one.  Throwing out the high and low (+37, +4) Biden's average lead in an 8+ way field is ~13 points.

That puts him in position to do what Trump did -- just keep picking up wins in a divided field and everyone else hangs around too long for anyone to get heads up when it's close enough to matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's probably all we're measuring this far out.  But he's still had a double-digit lead in every poll I've seen for the last couple months.

Actually... just looked it up at RCP and that's almost accurate.  Biden's had a double-digit lead over everyone else in all polls for the last 60 days, except one.  Throwing out the high and low (+37, +4) Biden's average lead in an 8+ way field is ~13 points.

That puts him in position to do what Trump did -- just keep picking up wins in a divided field and everyone else hangs around too long for anyone to get heads up when it's close enough to matter.
I am still not sure Bernie will run, but his appeal has less to do with him and more to do with policies for people that been neglected.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
See, this seems WAY off to me, but it explains a lot if Cav feels similar to you.  Personally if Sanders and Warren are at 5 and 10, I would put Biden and Harris closer to 20 or 30 and put Trump at like 95.  
If Trump was pro-wealth he would be implement things to help the wealth, not crush the economy.

As I am reading about these options, it's become clear that very little sets them apart policy wise.  I'm sure there are differences in the details, but for the most part they are all running on the same things.  What's interesting is the desperation of detractors to see a difference and try to distinguish them from one another.  The focus, as of today, seems to be on the more vocal, charismatic options.  I think this might be an election cycle different than any I have ever paid attention to and I can't imagine any of the debates being all that fruitful.

I know it's way too early but I can't help but think that if Biden runs, he wins the nomination. I don't see a lot of excitement about any of the other candidates yet.  Maybe Beto can recapture some of his lost momentum. Maybe Bernie too. Biden would also have the best chance against Trump and I think that realization will galvanize support for him. It's a cliché to say "anybody but (fill in the blank)" but with Trump it is more true than ever.

Biden would also have the best chance against Trump and I think that realization will galvanize support for him. 
This seems rash. I imagine you are basing it on current polling but it just doesn't seem meaningful yet. Biden is well known and generally liked but he's run for President on multiple occasions and gotten little traction.

He's a fairly average candidate. And this cycle may include a few exceptional ones (obviously tbd, but there appears to be a lot of young democratic talent right now). Lot of time left on the clock. 

This seems rash. I imagine you are basing it on current polling but it just doesn't seem meaningful yet. Biden is well known and generally liked but he's run for President on multiple occasions and gotten little traction.

He's a fairly average candidate. And this cycle may include a few exceptional ones (obviously tbd, but there appears to be a lot of young democratic talent right now). Lot of time left on the clock. 
I admitted the bolded in my post.

I think Biden, had he run, would have beaten Hillary in 2016 and would be President now.

Good article.  I'm still holding out hope that Klobuchar's mistreatment of her staff isn't as bad as it sounds, but the author raises some really good points.
Yeah.  This goes beyond what I interpreted the earlier reports to mean.  There's a real issue here from the sound of things.

Users who are viewing this thread