What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place (3 Viewers)

Beto is going to be a great addition to the race. Young, popular, engaging speaker.
But does he have substance?  Does he understand the issues beyond just being able to articulate them?  Can he work with leaders to come up with reasonable plans to solve our nations pressing problems?  Grasp of geo-political dynamics?  Understanding at a federal level sufficient to run government effectively?

But does he have substance?  Does he understand the issues beyond just being able to articulate them?  Can he work with leaders to come up with reasonable plans to solve our nations pressing problems?  Grasp of geo-political dynamics?  Understanding at a federal level sufficient to run government effectively?
That's what the nomination process is about, no? Did anyone think Obama did before he ran? Bill Clinton?

People want to be excited for a candidate. Beto has that. We'll see if he has the goods.

That's what the nomination process is about, no? Did anyone think Obama did before he ran? Bill Clinton?

People want to be excited for a candidate. Beto has that. We'll see if he has the goods.
Obama was at least on the national stage for a while first.  He'd published thoughtful books before he ran.  Had a unique perspective, and showed some good judgment early on.

Beto has excitement because he can say the right things, is a young white male who is charismatic.  But I agree, we'll just have to wait and see how he does.  Maybe he's got it.

Obama was at least on the national stage for a while first.  He'd published thoughtful books before he ran.  Had a unique perspective, and showed some good judgment early on.

Beto has excitement because he can say the right things, is a young white male who is charismatic.  But I agree, we'll just have to wait and see how he does.  Maybe he's got it.
I'd guess majority of non political junkies really had any idea who Obama was. I vaguely remembered the speech at the DNC.

I really don't know much about Beto other than he's moderate, he gives a good speech, and most importantly he almost won a Texas Senate seat. That's nuts. He did win quite a few elections for other Dems down ticket. Huge rising star.

Not sure if he's ready for the job but definitely excited to see how he does. If he beats out this field, probably a long shot, he will destroy Trump. 

So who will make the stage for the first debate? I’m assuming that the Democrats, like the Republicans, will limit the number to 8, based on polling. If they do, it will be:

Bernie

Biden (I assume he’s running) 

Warren 

Beto 

Harris 

Klobuchar

Booker 

Those 7 are probably locks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So who will make the stage for the first debate? I’m assuming that the Democrats, like the Republicans, will limit the number to 8, based on polling. 
You assume wrong. 

LINK

The first 2020 Democratic Primary Debate, aired on NBC and MSNBC, will be in June of 2019. The debate may feature back-to-back primetime debates on consecutive nights to ensure each candidate gets access to a primetime audience.
Qualifications: A candidate will need to either have at least 1 percent support in three qualifying polls, or provide evidence of at least 65,000 individual donations from a minimum of 200 different donors in at least 20 states.

Beto supported a Republican over a Democrat last election and has a more conservative voting record than ~80% of the Democrats in the house. He is NOT a good candidate, the only reason why people like him is because he was competitive against Ted "bag of slugs in a human skin" Cruz. 

You assume wrong. 

LINK
Thank you. 

Back to back debates are interesting, though depending on who gets on stage with who, it still may present a 1st and 2nd tier scenario. I also think the first night may have a distinct advantage over the 2nd night in terms of audience.  

But even so I like this better than what the Republicans did. 

Beto supported a Republican over a Democrat last election and has a more conservative voting record than ~80% of the Democrats in the house. He is NOT a good candidate, the only reason why people like him is because he was competitive against Ted "bag of slugs in a human skin" Cruz. 
As a centrist, none of this bothers me. I admit to not knowing much about the guy. But...and I’ve mentioned this before...so many people rave about his speaking style. I don’t like it; I find it irritating to be honest. 

Being competitive in Texas is why he is a good candidate. 

IC FBGCav said:
If she supports the best policies I will.  I am not a simpleton attached to a person.  I care about policies.
Then why get hung up on the % of things Beto would vote with Trump on?

He will not be competitive for a national election in Texas. . 
Probably not. Although Ted worked Trump over I believe in their Texas Primary.

That appeal he has in Texas would perhaps carry over to other parts of the country. We'll see.

Don't see how people can claim he's not a good candidate at this point.

You were this forum's biggest cheerleader for Obama in 2008.

Do you mean Will Hurd? That's the Republican he supported?

Will Hurd is a good man who, you may have noticed, does not support Trump. He has not lost his marbles like the rest of the GOP.

Kudos to Beto.

Beto 2020.

That would mean more if it showed up in their voting record, when even the most anti-Trump Republican essentially rubber stamps everything he does. What is the difference between a leftist ironically voting for Trump and a white supremacist voting for Trump when it comes to the final outcome?

So who will make the stage for the first debate? I’m assuming that the Democrats, like the Republicans, will limit the number to 8, based on polling. If they do, it will be:

Bernie

Biden (I assume he’s running) 

Warren 

Beto 

Harris 

Klobuchar

Booker 

Those 7 are probably locks. 
8.  Andrew Yang.  #yanggang

If it were waffles it would at least make a modicum of sense, since the delicious buttery goodness would collect in a little square rather than run off the side into burnt oblivion.  Maybe.
If there was poor planning and the butter was rock hard still I can see where Beto is going here. 

krista4 said:
I don't need a President who poorly plans and executes his buttering!  What else might he forget to plan?  
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's innovative. And if he does the right thing, and re-butters at the table, providing double butter, he scores points with me. 

There is if you waste butter!  It's a precious resource, like gold or air or children or not really children but maybe other things!
Use the runoff to cook the next pancake

ETA: use the butter to cook the pancakes, not children 

My takeaway from that list is that Trump supports literally everything except sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea. And limitations on FISA.

That’s kind of interesting, I suppose. Maybe an artifact of Paul Ryan’s refusal to bring anything to a vote that Trump doesn’t support?

In any case, I think the raw count says nothing interesting about Beto O’Rourke.

My takeaway from that list is that Trump supports literally everything except sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea. And limitations on FISA.

That’s kind of interesting, I suppose. Maybe an artifact of Paul Ryan’s refusal to bring anything to a vote that Trump doesn’t support?

In any case, I think the raw count says nothing interesting about Beto O’Rourke.
I don't know about all that but hopefully it answered your question that you knew the answer too.

There is if you waste butter!  It's a precious resource, like gold or air or children or not really children but maybe other things!
He’s not wasting butter. He’s adding butter to the pancake at the exact same stage that most people add butter to a grilled cheese sandwich, presumably based on the same principle: stuff that’s cooked in butter is awesome. It’s just this kind of unorthodox but innovative thinking that we need in the White House.

-fish- said:
Yeah, acknowledging climate change as a crisis.  How wacky.   

Opie and Tim don't like him?

:getsoutwallet:  
I never said I didn’t like him. I wrote that his voice when he speaks annoys me. That’s neither here nor there: he seems like a good guy and Is be happy to vote for him. 

He’s not wasting butter. He’s adding butter to the pancake at the exact same stage that most people add butter to a grilled cheese sandwich, presumably based on the same principle: stuff that’s cooked in butter is awesome. It’s just this kind of unorthodox but innovative thinking that we need in the White House.
I don't know about you, but most people add butter to their grilled cheese sandwiches before each side is cooked.

Here, Beto has clearly already flipped the pancake and is buttering the already-cooked side.

If his intent is to flip the pancake again and cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich, then he's going to overcook the pancake and seal-in the taste of burnt butter.

I don't know about you, but most people add butter to their grilled cheese sandwiches before each side is cooked.

Here, Beto has clearly already flipped the pancake and is buttering the already-cooked side.

If his intent is to flip the pancake again and cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich, then he's going to overcook the pancake and seal-in the taste of burnt butter.
You can’t butter a pancake when it’s still just liquid batter. He’s buttering it as soon as it’s solid enough to soak it up as a piece of bread would.

You can’t butter a pancake when it’s still just liquid batter. He’s buttering it as soon as it’s solid enough to soak it up as a piece of bread would.
Is that when you butter a grilled cheese sandwich? After it's been cooked and flipped?

Is that when you butter a grilled cheese sandwich? After it's been cooked and flipped?
I butter a grilled cheese sandwich before putting it in the skillet. But that’s after the bread has already been cooked to a solid (not just doughy) state. The analogous time for a pancake is as shown on the Beto pic.

Users who are viewing this thread