What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

Buffalo Bills Cheerleaders’ Routine: No Wages and No Respect

BUFFALO — Alyssa cannot recall the precise moment she realized her dream gig as a Buffalo Bills cheerleader had turned into a nightmare.

Each week held so many indignities.

Supervisors ordered the cheerleaders, known as the Buffalo Jills, to warm up in a frigid, grubby stadium storeroom that smelled of gasoline. They demanded that cheerleaders pay $650 for uniforms. They told the cheerleaders to do jumping jacks to see if flesh jiggled.

The Jills were required to attend a golf tournament for sponsors. The high rollers paid cash — “Flips for Tips” — to watch bikini-clad cheerleaders do back flips. Afterward, the men placed bids on which women would ride around in their golf carts.

A not-incidental detail: The carts had no extra seats. Women clung to the back or, much more to the point, were invited to sit in the men’s laps...
I do think the treatment and lack of compensation are pretty ridiculous, shameful, and sad.

That said, after having gone to 5 home games this year (won't be in attendance tomorrow), I can honestly say that I barely even notice that the Jills are gone. The Bills have replaced them with a large drum section, and you can hear the drums rattling throughout the stadium with a nice effect. I actually brought this up with the group of guys I was with at the last game....not a single one cared that there's no more cheerleaders.

Last edited by a moderator:

BUFFALO — Alyssa cannot recall the precise moment she realized her dream gig as a Buffalo Bills cheerleader had turned into a nightmare.

Supervisors ordered the cheerleaders, known as the Buffalo Jills, to warm up in a frigid, grubby stadium storeroom that smelled of gasoline. They demanded that cheerleaders pay $650 for uniforms. They told the cheerleaders to do jumping jacks to see if flesh jiggled.

The Jills were required to attend a golf tournament for sponsors. The high rollers paid cash — “Flips for Tips” — to watch bikini-clad cheerleaders do back flips. Afterward, the men placed bids on which women would ride around in their golf carts.

A not-incidental detail: The carts had no extra seats. Women clung to the back or, much more to the point, were invited to sit in the men’s laps...
I do think the treatment and lack of compensation are pretty ridiculous, shameful, and sad.

That said, after having gone to 5 home games this year (won't be in attendance tomorrow), I can honestly say that I barely even notice that the Jills are gone. The Bills have replaced them with a large drum section, and you can hear the drums rattling throughout the stadium with a nice effect. I actually brought this up with the group of guys I was with at the last game....not a single one cared that there's no more cheerleaders.
I'd have no problem with them ditching the entire program. The Steelers haven't had cheerleaders in years and everyone is fine with it.

ETA - it's cool that you made it to 5 games this year. :hifive:

And that's exactly why they weren't getting paid much. The team probably thought of it as: "Hey, if they want to keep 'volunteering', that's fine, but we don't care enough to pay for their services."

O

Ye

Of

Little

Faith

Absolutely believed Buffalo had the right team to smack the Pack. Great job Bills, and congrats to the fans.

Bills have a decent shot to go 9-7 and possibly 10-6. Pretty crazy since nobody believes their QB (or offense) is any good.

Gotta make keeping this defense together a priority in the offseason. They put up a superlatively great game today against an elite offense.

Last two games against Manning and Rodgers.

50% completion, for 358 yards COMBINED

0 Tds

4 INTs

Unreal. An ave QB and this team could win the superbowl. No schtick.

Also, I'm becoming a big fan of Doug Whaley. Our last two wins have prominently featured guys who we picked up off waivers or the street -- Thigpen, Rambo, and That Guy Who Caught Those Long Passes Against Cleveland. That's some pretty awesome GMing.

Yeah, the Watkins trade. But that's looking a lot better now that our first round pick is out of QB range.

Congrats to you guys, I don't think anyone expected this from the Bills. Makes that Watkins trade look a lot better than when people were thinking that would be a top-10 pick.

How did a Rambo look besides the picks today? As a Redskins fan I'm trying to find out how pissed at our FO/coaching staff I should be since we need safety help and cut bait on him way too early.

Anyone else think the Bills' playoff hopes will come down to week 17, where they need to beat Garoppolo and the rest of the Pats' backups, and they will lose?

It would be classic "Bills", so I can't stop thinking that is what will happen after they manage to somehow beat either Denver or Green Bay.
No, because they have no shot at beating Denver or GB.
Bull####. That defense can absolutely shut down Green Bay and beat them at home.
Since when has Buffalo been able to beat a good QB with good WRs this year? Yeah, they have a great defense, but their secondary does tend to get beaten by good WRs. Rodgers, Nelson and Cobb are good enough that Gilmore and Graham WILL get beaten multiple times and Buffalo just doesn't have the offense to keep up. You have to be able to put up 24+ on a team like GB and the only hope the Bills have of doing that on GB is at least one defensive TD.

I wouldnt mind seeing Watkins line up at RB against NE. This offense is way too vanilla, GB had it working with Cobb and the Bills are going to have to try SOMETHING to win that game...if they can get by Oak (need more than 9 offensive points?)

At least if he dumps down, it woukd be to Watkins and let him try to make a play.

Also, I'm becoming a big fan of Doug Whaley. Our last two wins have prominently featured guys who we picked up off waivers or the street -- Thigpen, Rambo, and That Guy Who Caught Those Long Passes Against Cleveland. That's some pretty awesome GMing.

Yeah, the Watkins trade. But that's looking a lot better now that our first round pick is out of QB range.
I agree, I think he's a gem at the GM position and could be a long-term great GM if given the chance.

I still like the Watkins trade. It's easy to look at Mike Evans or Odell Beckham or Kelvin Benjamin and think that the Bills could've had them....but I think the situation is just reversed if they're on the Bills. None of those guys are going to shine on the Bills, just like Watkins hasn't at times. It's not Watkins' fault that the QB can't get him the ball. He had the DB (Shields?) beat by a half-step on that sideline route in the first half, and Orton underthrew it for an INT. If that ball is on the outside shoulder, it's a 30 yard gain. Those are the kinds of throws that good QBs can make from time-to-time. Watkins' stats would look a hell of a lot better with a real QB throwing the ball.

Anyone else think the Bills' playoff hopes will come down to week 17, where they need to beat Garoppolo and the rest of the Pats' backups, and they will lose?

It would be classic "Bills", so I can't stop thinking that is what will happen after they manage to somehow beat either Denver or Green Bay.
No, because they have no shot at beating Denver or GB.
Bull####. That defense can absolutely shut down Green Bay and beat them at home.
Since when has Buffalo been able to beat a good QB with good WRs this year? Yeah, they have a great defense, but their secondary does tend to get beaten by good WRs. Rodgers, Nelson and Cobb are good enough that Gilmore and Graham WILL get beaten multiple times and Buffalo just doesn't have the offense to keep up. You have to be able to put up 24+ on a team like GB and the only hope the Bills have of doing that on GB is at least one defensive TD.
In retrospect, this win makes sense. They' win next week, things will fall into place so that all they'll need is to beat the Patriots and we all know an agonizing last second loss is on tap there.

Isn't it very unlikely the Bills make the playoffs even if they win the next 2? There are a ton of teams near the top and we can't be looking good on tie-breakers.

It would be wild if we go 10-6 and miss the playoffs.

Isn't it very unlikely the Bills make the playoffs even if they win the next 2? There are a ton of teams near the top and we can't be looking good on tie-breakers.It would be wild if we go 10-6 and miss the playoffs.
Especially with an NFC South team getting in with a losing record and the Bills going 4-0 against the NFC North.

And yeah, it's very unlikely. There's a list of 5 teams that the Bills need 3 of not to win 10 games.

Actually looking at the scenario, it's not TOO awful.

Right now here are the 5 teams and their current wins that the Bills need 3 of to finish with less than 10 wins:

Bengals 9

Steelers 9

Ravens 9

Chiefs 8

Chargers 8

A number of them play each other so that helps and hurts.

The easiest outcome (IMO) is that the Steelers beat the Bengals and the Chiefs. That eliminates the Chiefs and means the Bengals would have to beat the Broncos this coming week which is doubtful. if the Chiefs then beat the Chargers in the final week, it eliminates the Chargers.

That seems possible to me although the Steelers are such a huge wildcard from week to week.

The other scenario I think is:

Steelers lose to Cin and KC

KC beats Pit but loses to SD

SD beats KC but loses to SF

Ravens, Cin (one wins division) are in with Buf.

So Steelers need to win out or lose out. If they split we are toast, since both they and Bal will finish with 10+ wins and both have the tiebreaker on conference wins.

Bloody NFC South :angry:

The other scenario I think is:

Steelers lose to Cin and KC

KC beats Pit but loses to SD

SD beats KC but loses to SF

Ravens, Cin (one wins division) are in with Buf.

So Steelers need to win out or lose out. If they split we are toast, since both they and Bal will finish with 10+ wins and both have the tiebreaker on conference wins.

Bloody NFC South :angry:
I just don't like SF needing to beat SD. The Niners are awful. The least likely, but best all around possibility is the Ravens lose to both the Texans and Browns. I could see the Texans beating them, but it would be a Johnny Football miracle for the Browns to beat them.

And yeah, the craptacular NFC South is why the AFC North has so many bloated records.

I agree about SF. I think the BIlls are alive as long as Bal, KC and SD dont all win this week.

Because KC plays SD and CIN plays PIT, the above scenario would automatically put the winners of those games at 10 wins and ahead of Buf.

I dont think we have the tiebreaker on anyone.

Bills offense is pathetic. I would love to see the Bills get into the playoffs but Orton seems to be getting worse or not getting any better.

This game should of been further out of reach, just 1 td in all those fgs... Just one. I dont know if its hackett, worst o coordinator in nfl imo, or orton, or the line or what...

Bills offense is pathetic. I would love to see the Bills get into the playoffs but Orton seems to be getting worse or not getting any better.

This game should of been further out of reach, just 1 td in all those fgs... Just one. I dont know if its hackett, worst o coordinator in nfl imo, or orton, or the line or what...
I don't think it's Hacket. I think he watches Orton collapse under the slightest pressure, looks at how crappy the O-line is, and watches Orton miss Watkins downfield time and time again and again, and drives his head into a wall. They've simplified the offense because they can't run a regular offense.

Hindsight is 20/20, sure. But I think the biggest mistake this year was giving up on Manuel too soon. Would he be better than Orton at this point? I don't know. I do know he wouldn't be any worse.

We (myself included) can continue to hate on Orton, but given the same circumstances I don't think there is any way in the world that EJ wins that game.
Seriously? What did Orton do that EJ hasn't? Not throw an INT? Oh wait...

Orton missed wide open RBs in the flat. He took check down after check down for 2-6 yards when we needed 8+ for a first down. He missed streaking Watkins for huge gains. He threw behind Robert Woods when a completion would have had him streaking through the defense. He's EJ all over again, except EJ handles pressure better.

We (myself included) can continue to hate on Orton, but given the same circumstances I don't think there is any way in the world that EJ wins that game.
Seriously? What did Orton do that EJ hasn't? Not throw an INT? Oh wait...

Orton missed wide open RBs in the flat. He took check down after check down for 2-6 yards when we needed 8+ for a first down. He missed streaking Watkins for huge gains. He threw behind Robert Woods when a completion would have had him streaking through the defense. He's EJ all over again, except EJ handles pressure better.
I think you need to go back and watch some of EJ's games. I think you've forgotten how awful he was.

Orton has not been good, but it's hard to really question the results. Maybe EJ is better, maybe he isn't....but they just beat ####### Green Bay. The team that ESPN and NBC pimp all week as the best of the best. The team that countless sources list as the best team in the NFL. The team with a famous future-HOFer QB having one of the best statistical seasons ever and having 2 1000 yard WRs 13 games into the season.

Maybe EJ would've played better, but does it really matter? They won anyway.

Bottom line is that I think we all know that this team is nowhere at the QB position. I think it's kinda silly to assume that the Bills have 9 or 10 wins with EJ Manuel under center. For as bad as Orton has been at times, he has been okay at times as well. He is what we thought he was...a bottom-of-the-barrel NFL starter.

IMO, I hope the Bills bring in a questionable veteran this offseason. It seems that RGIII or Sam Bradford might be available. As bad as you think they might be - and they might be terrible pickups - it'd be hard to fault the Bills for taking a low-risk high-reward chance on a former top pick. If he bombs, he bombs, and EJ/Orton serve as the backup and the Bills look for a QB in 2016. Or, if the Bills are lucky, maybe they have their eye on a 2nd-round prospect in 2015 and he's given the chance to start immediately.

Steve Tasker said:
IvanKaramazov said:

I agree, I think he's a gem at the GM position and could be a long-term great GM if given the chance.

I still like the Watkins trade. It's easy to look at Mike Evans or Odell Beckham or Kelvin Benjamin and think that the Bills could've had them....but I think the situation is just reversed if they're on the Bills. None of those guys are going to shine on the Bills, just like Watkins hasn't at times. It's not Watkins' fault that the QB can't get him the ball. He had the DB (Shields?) beat by a half-step on that sideline route in the first half, and Orton underthrew it for an INT. If that ball is on the outside shoulder, it's a 30 yard gain. Those are the kinds of throws that good QBs can make from time-to-time. Watkins' stats would look a hell of a lot better with a real QB throwing the ball.
I agree entirely with your analysis of the WR class. Watkins has looked truly special at times for Buffalo, and his lack of production isn't on him IMO. Just that we gave up a lot to get him.

Edit: I agree with your comments on the QB position too. We should absolutely go out and get a FA in the offseason. This team doesn't need the second coming of Jim Kelly to win -- it just needs somebody competent who can take advantage of our talent at WR.

The move to Orton saved the season. EJ was struggling, and Orton came in fresh and injected some energy into the offense.

Then Orton got hit. Then tape was out there and opponents realized, you blitz the crappy interior line up the middle and Orton turtles like a pansy.

Since the league has figured that out, Orton has been garbage.

There is no way he puts up more than 10 points against NE. This may be enough to win....Marrone will count on it. With defense or special teams contributing points anything can happen. But Bill is going to eat the pansy alive.

EJ is garbage....with upside? We dont know if he has learned anything that will help him. I at least trust he will chuck it up....maybe it is out of bounds...but better than a sack. And he wont slide short of a first down.

Put him in there and he will be HUNGRY.

But even if Marrone thought this was the right move, no way he would do it. See Urbeck and Mike Williams this year as proof.

no way EJ wins that game in Detroit IMO. They might actually be in better shape now if they had moved to Orton a week earlier than they did. The argument that they gave up on EJ too soon is crazy talk. But, I am surprised they haven't given him another shot at some point here given how much Orton is struggling.

no way EJ wins that game in Detroit IMO. They might actually be in better shape now if they had moved to Orton a week earlier than they did. The argument that they gave up on EJ too soon is crazy talk. But, I am surprised they haven't given him another shot at some point here given how much Orton is struggling.
Agreed on all counts.

Agreed on all counts.
I agree, except for the last point. I think EJ probably only gets one more shot to turn things around. If they put him back out there and he flops again, it probably means his career is over, at least with the Bills.

IMO, give him the rest of this year and all off season to work on his game and see how much improvement he shows in camp (while obviously bringing in competition).

I don't think there's any chance it happens, but seems like a decent amount of chatter about Eli and the Giants parting ways. Maybe just from NYG fans that are Eli haters.

But Eli Manning in a Bills uniform would be a dream. This offense would be 10 times better with Eli Manning.

Heck, I'd be pretty happy with Jay Cutler at this point. At least he is willing to rip it and hit WRs down field.

On the plus side, if the only 2 NFL games you've ever seen were the last 2 Bills games, you'd be under the impression that Kyle Orton is a better QB than Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. So there's that.

If the Bills could trade Kiko Alonso and some combo of draft picks for one of these guys, would you do it, and for which ones?

Cam Newton

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Any others even somewhat reasonable?

I'm guessing the Panthers would have no use for Kiko and I'm not sure Alex Smith would really make the offense truly any better. I could see Atlanta selling and going rebuild, but I think they'd want multiple firsts for Ryan which is insane. And not convinced the Giants would actually move Eli. Sigh.

And the QB free agent market is awful for 2015.

Bills have a decent shot to go 9-7 and possibly 10-6. Pretty crazy since nobody believes their QB (or offense) is any good.
It's crazier that this defense is going to be kept out of the playoffs by said garbage offense.
See 1991 Philadelphia Eagles. 10-6. Led the league in rushing and passing defense. Forced 48 Turnovers. Recorded 55 sacks.

QB: Randall Cunningham (1 start), Jim McMahon (11 starts), Jeff Kemp (2 starts, played in 7 games), Rookie Brad Goebal (2 starts, played in 5 games), Pat Ryun (played in 1 game)

3.1 yards per attempt Rushing (last in league) 43 turnovers (3rd worst). Team didn't make the playoffs, Jerome Brown was killed in the off season, Reggie White eventually left for Green Bay.

Oh and the team (and offense) was coached by Rich Kotite. If ever a defense had the deck stacked against it, it was that one.

Isn't it very unlikely the Bills make the playoffs even if they win the next 2? There are a ton of teams near the top and we can't be looking good on tie-breakers.

It would be wild if we go 10-6 and miss the playoffs.
The Eagles have a good chance of going 11-5 and missing the playoffs.

It's crazier that this defense is going to be kept out of the playoffs by said garbage offense.
See 1991 Philadelphia Eagles. 10-6. Led the league in rushing and passing defense. Forced 48 Turnovers. Recorded 55 sacks.

QB: Randall Cunningham (1 start), Jim McMahon (11 starts), Jeff Kemp (2 starts, played in 7 games), Rookie Brad Goebal (2 starts, played in 5 games), Pat Ryun (played in 1 game)

3.1 yards per attempt Rushing (last in league) 43 turnovers (3rd worst). Team didn't make the playoffs, Jerome Brown was killed in the off season, Reggie White eventually left for Green Bay.

Oh and the team (and offense) was coached by Rich Kotite. If ever a defense had the deck stacked against it, it was that one.
I chuckled at how you twisted the knife there. :lmao:

IvanKaramazov said:
GroveDiesel said:
On the plus side, if the only 2 NFL games you've ever seen were the last 2 Bills games, you'd be under the impression that Kyle Orton is a better QB than Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. So there's that.

If the Bills could trade Kiko Alonso
Stopped reading here.
You wouldn't trade Kiko for a guaranteed above average NFL QB?

I would in a second. I love Kiko, but Bradham and Brown have both been fantastic this year and if the Bills could get slightly above average play at the most important position, they would be an instant playoff team and possible contender.

Go beat Oakland and see what happens!

Most important games this week:

Need Pitt to beat KC in Pitt

Need Denver to beat Cinci on MNF in Cinci

Would be nice but not vital this week. SF beat SD and Houston to beat Baltimore.

Go Bills

Week 17 dream -

Beat NE - somehow

Cinci loses to Pitt

KC beats SD

Ya I remember. The 9ers also missed @10-6 that year. Weird season.

The Eagles had a 0 year playoff drought though. That's really compounding the frustration.

Go beat Oakland and see what happens!

Most important games this week:

Need Pitt to beat KC in Pitt

Need Denver to beat Cinci on MNF in Cinci

Would be nice but not vital this week. SF beat SD and Houston to beat Baltimore.

Go Bills

Week 17 dream -

Beat NE - somehow

Cinci loses to Pitt

KC beats SD
As I understand it, Pittsburgh winning out and Cincy/SD losing this week are the key - then SD@KC & Baltimore don't even matter.

So yah that's not far fetched at all (preferred outcomes are favored in each of those games), except for the beating NE part.

Users who are viewing this thread