What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

Where do you guys rank the D? My league has a lot of points based on yards against. Is the secondary such a problem that these guys become a risky proposition? I've targeted them in every mock. Seattle, Houston usually go off the board. I've been looking at the Bills shortly thereafter..
Throw the Rams in there and thats my top teir.

eta; anyone of them will end up as the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will be a top 3 defense. Pass rush will help and Darby will improve.
I'm worried about this part. I cut rookie DBs a lot of slack, but he's been bad even by NFL rookie CB standards. And this defense absolutely requires CBs who can play man defense. I hope you're right and that he turns things around, of course.

Edit: I stopped playing fantasy quite a while ago -- no comment on their fantasy value.
2 INTs vs Cleveland is not bad. Coaches aren't even trying to protect him out there, which they would do when the games start to matter.

Given how deep they are at safety though, I wouldn't be surprised if they considered moving Graham back outside at some point if Darby doesn't figure things out quickly.

I'm not a massive fan of Ryan but I just hope he's bold and goes with Taylor rather than playing it "safe" with Cassel.

well, this officially sucks.

he should catch on somewhere, but feels like he should have been kept to me. very reliable backup who can do just about anything you ask of him.
I find it really hard to believe that there are 75 (!) other players on the roster better than him.
Well honestly it doesn't mean that. If they think he wasn't going to be part of the final 53, they are actually doing him a favor by releasing him now before the other teams finalize their rosters and there's time for him to hookup with another team.

he should catch on somewhere, but feels like he should have been kept to me. very reliable backup who can do just about anything you ask of him.
I find it really hard to believe that there are 75 (!) other players on the roster better than him.
I'm sure there isn't but eventually they have to get down to 53. It could just be they know they weren't keep Jackson, felt they needed more time to evaluate other guys (even if they aren't as good) and perhaps even let him go early out of kindness. That last part sounds strange but it actually lets Jackson vet potential suitors better and gives him a jump on signing elsewhere.

And Bryce Brown sure as h*ll ain't better! Don't understand this at all especially with Shady injured. Going ground & pound & winning with D and you don't keep a reliable vet?

I just feel like it's very unceremonious. Fred Jackson is beloved in Buffalo like you would not believe. Absolutely beloved. He talked openly about how he wants to finish his career here.

I seriously hope the Bills organization covered all of their bases here. If he's going to be released, give him a chance to retire and go out on his own terms or something. I really hope it wasn't just a "bring your playbook, see you later" kick in the ###. He deserves better than that.

I think they cut him early as a favor to give him a better chance of signing elsewhere.

if they waited until the end, it would be harder for him to find a new team with a good opportunity.

if you're Jackson, don't you want a shot at a title somewhere? Mentioned earlier about BB's love for the guy... wouldn't shock me if NE gets involved here.

I think they cut him early as a favor to give him a better chance of signing elsewhere.

if they waited until the end, it would be harder for him to find a new team with a good opportunity.
That's exactly the reason why he was cut this early. I can see a number of teams going after him. Dallas won't get a chance as teams like Titans, Jets, Rams and a number of others will get first crack at him.

I guess there is confidence in the other banged up RBs to let him go. I figured Fred's value in the locker-room earned him a spot for at least this year.

As dumb as it sounds and as much as I hate the whole downtrodden mentality thing that you get with a lot of Buffalo residents, Fred Jackson really was the football embodiment of Western NY. Forgotten, abandoned, never given a thing, having to scrap and earn things the hard way. It's a business, and I think Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon, and the Pegula family are in-tune enough with the city and region to know that this isn't some no name backup who is being released. But it still stings.

The outpouring of support in the hour since this has been announced is outstanding. I don't know that there has been a Bills player this beloved since the Super Bowl era. It's not often that a player leaves the Bills/Sabres and comes back to a rousing ovation, but I think it'll be different for Fred. I kinda hope he does join a team like Dallas, so we can all be part of the ovation he gets when they come to play the Bills.

I have to imagine he'll be on the wall of fame before too long....10 seasons, nearly 8,300 yards from scrimmage, 37 TDs. He just never quit.

Thanks for the memories, Fred.

Not sure why some of you think teams like Dallas and New England will get Jackson when all waiver moves all this week all go through the crappy teams like Tampa and Tennessee first.

Others cut were.............. Defensive end Michael Buchanan, Cornerback Ross Cockrell, Defensive tackle Justin Hamilton, Safety Kenny Ladler, Cornerback Ellis Lankster,

Safety Wesley Miller, Guard D.J. Morrell, Defensive end Cedric Reed, Running back Ricky Seale, OT Terren Jones ,DE/LB Andrew Hudson, LB Ty Powell (on IR)

Not sure why some of you think teams like Dallas and New England will get Jackson when all waiver moves all this week all go through the crappy teams like Tampa and Tennessee first.
Do all these guys go through waivers though? Or is it they're cut and given their outright release? I'm not so sure Fred Jackson can't decide who he wants to play for next...

Man. So much respect for FJAX. Love this guy.

Really surprised that he's not considered one of the best 75 players on the Bills and really surprised they cut him based on what he is to that team, that fan base.

With that being said, this guy should be a Patriot before I go home today. Makes SO much sense.

Man. So much respect for FJAX. Love this guy.

Really surprised that he's not considered one of the best 75 players on the Bills and really surprised they cut him based on what he is to that team, that fan base.

With that being said, this guy should be a Patriot before I go home today. Makes SO much sense.
This isn't a waivers deal, right?

Bloom's been saying the Pats would nab him.

Do all these guys go through waivers though? Or is it they're cut and given their outright release? I'm not so sure Fred Jackson can't decide who he wants to play for next...
According to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25283219/agents-take-faqs-about-final-preseason-games-cuts-53-man-roster...

Players that don't have at least four years of service for benefit purposes are subject to waivers when released. Other teams can claim a player's contract when he is wavied. Waiver priority is determined by the inverse order of league record. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have waiver priority right now since they had the worst record in 2014. After the third week of the regular season, waiver claims are based on current standings. Contracts terminate upon release and immediately become free agents when waivers isn't applicable.
FJax is a Free Agent then, according to the above, and can sign wherever he pleases.

According to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25283219/agents-take-faqs-about-final-preseason-games-cuts-53-man-roster...

Players that don't have at least four years of service for benefit purposes are subject to waivers when released. Other teams can claim a player's contract when he is wavied. Waiver priority is determined by the inverse order of league record. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have waiver priority right now since they had the worst record in 2014. After the third week of the regular season, waiver claims are based on current standings. Contracts terminate upon release and immediately become free agents when waivers isn't applicable.
FJax is a Free Agent then, according to the above, and can sign wherever he pleases.
Hmm ok, assumed sort of correctly, didn't know the 4 yr service rule though. If that's the case then, I can see Fred going to a team like Pittsburgh, Seattle, New England or Dallas

Aaron Rudnicki said:
IvanKaramazov said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
They will be a top 3 defense. Pass rush will help and Darby will improve.
I'm worried about this part. I cut rookie DBs a lot of slack, but he's been bad even by NFL rookie CB standards. And this defense absolutely requires CBs who can play man defense. I hope you're right and that he turns things around, of course.

Edit: I stopped playing fantasy quite a while ago -- no comment on their fantasy value.
2 INTs vs Cleveland is not bad. Coaches aren't even trying to protect him out there, which they would do when the games start to matter.

Given how deep they are at safety though, I wouldn't be surprised if they considered moving Graham back outside at some point if Darby doesn't figure things out quickly.
Exactly, thank you. Darby has been treated like Gilmore all camp/preseason. Gilmore has actually been getting the safety help. They know what they have in Gilmore. Darby will have safety help. He had 0 help on all his 1 on 1's this preseason. He'll be fine, they'll scheme, just letting the rookie get his feet wet. They never did that with McKelvin and he routinley used to get beat on 1 on 1 balls.

Love the Fred cut, It's business, save 2.3M for a 34 year old RB when you are deep at the position. You have to worry about Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham. It hurts with leadership and heart but it's a new regime, new guys will step up. I hope he goes to Dallas or somewhere in the NFC, and we see him on the Wall of Fame and coaching RB's in a few years.

Now cut Cassel and save Four-and some change more.

I assume the Jackson cut makes Bryce Brown very likely to make this team now, right? Any insight there?

Was holding to see where he might land, but if he's 4th on the depth chart in Buffalo... well that's not very appealing.

Love the Fred cut, It's business, save 2.3M for a 34 year old RB when you are deep at the position. You have to worry about Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham. It hurts with leadership and heart but it's a new regime, new guys will step up. I hope he goes to Dallas or somewhere in the NFC, and we see him on the Wall of Fame and coaching RB's in a few years.

Are you guys really deep at RB? Beyond an injured McCoy, how good are any of those guys? I was no at all impressed by anyone of the backs they trotted out last year once CJ and Fred were hurt. The money saved is only valuable (for the fans) if is spent this year on guys that can help the team.

Are you guys really deep at RB? Beyond an injured McCoy, how good are any of those guys? I was no at all impressed by anyone of the backs they trotted out last year once CJ and Fred were hurt. The money saved is only valuable (for the fans) if is spent this year on guys that can help the team.
I'm fine if McCoy got hurt to roll with the rookie Karlos Williams who has been very impressive at camp, Bryce (talent but fumbles) and even Boobie Dixon showed last year he can take 8-12 carries a game and rumble.

Users who are viewing this thread