What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 RB Lotto Ticket Rankings (1 Viewer)

Awesome list, but I hope nobody puts me in the Ty'Son Williams hater club :)   Especially now!   He's super relevant as an end-of-bench consideration.   My comment was based more on the fact that he probably wasn't an option for too many rosters other than the deepest dynasty leagues prior to the Dobbins injury.

I always make a mental note of the Waldman favorites, but let's face it, there's plenty who never amount to anything.   I'm currently trying to decide if he's worth an add on my 24-man roster.   I'm currently sitting on guys like Tony Jones Jr, Damien Williams, Khalil Herbert, Kylin Hill, Peoples-Jones, Dyami Brown, and trying to figure out if I should be parting with any of them to add this guy.   I'm thinking that the answer is probably no, but need to do some homework on where Justice Hill is at.

Between a workhorse and a perfect 3-man committee, I think Gus Bus probably falls somewhere in between the middle, maybe 6/10th of the way to workhorse.   Trying to figure out if that's enough to make Ty'Son and Justice Hill worth it in redraft and dynasty.   Should be noted that Ravens were kicking the tires on Gurley earlier this offseason.   If they don't sign a guy like that, it would probably say a lot in their confidence in both backs behind Gus Bus.   If they do sign a Gurley, then I can probably leave him on my Watch list.

Waldman RSP on Ty'Son:

https://youtu.be/S6sJejXENQU
You’d have to have small benches for Ty’Son and Hill not to be worth a roster spot in dynasty. One of them is in line for work in a run heavy system. 

Ty Johnson is my pick. Potential rb1 no one is even talking about that is free. All the jets beat writers seem to think he will be. 
Perhaps one emerges, and Ty is as good as any, but it looks like a real RBBC for the Jets with Ty, Carter and Coleman all seeing work and on top of that some of the Jets RB pass catching is going to go to HB Trevor Wesco since he’s the closet thing to [Im not even going to try and spell the FB in SF’s name].

Johnson has looked the best and is arguably the best overall talent but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above Coleman or Carter enough to be a feature back.

You’d have to have small benches for Ty’Son and Hill not to be worth a roster spot in dynasty. One of them is in line for work in a run heavy system. 

If Ty'son is the clear #2, Hill is a clear #3 that won't even factor in on passing downs, and nobody else is coming in to factor into the #2, then yeah, I blew the hot read on this one.   A clear #2 on the Ravens would have been worth sacking Kylin Hill, K. Herbert, or Damien Williams from the end of my bench.

I was thinking Hill would have some role and a vet would probably be coming in.   Congrats if you scooped him.  Should be a good lotto ticket that comes in if Gus goes down or if he simply doesn't get as much of an expanded role as what's being projected.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ty'son is the clear #2, Hill is a clear #3 that won't even factor in on passing downs, and nobody else is coming in to factor into the #2, then yeah, I blew the hot read on this one.   A clear #2 on the Ravens would have been worth sacking Kylin Hill, K. Herbert, or Damien Williams from the end of my bench.

I was thinking Hill would have some role and a vet would probably be coming in.   Congrats if you scooped him.  Should be a good lotto ticket that comes in if Gus goes down or if he simply doesn't get as much of an expanded role as what's being projected.
I don’t have either one on a roster yet. I will bid on Ty’son but not sure I’ll get a share.

OR they just want to see more of what they may have in Huntley?
It’s possible. Ollison really hasn’t shown anything in the NFL besides some short yardage success. It’s year 3 now. 

There was speculation among beat writers on Twitter that Huntley passed Ollison. Apparently Davis played the first snap, didn’t touch the ball, and didn’t play the rest of the game. Huntley then got the run ahead of Ollison who played into the late third quarter. 

Maybe they just wanted to see Huntley, sure, but I wouldn’t feel great about that if I owned Ollison. 

I kind of think they’re watching cuts and making phone calls. Ty’Son is like slightly smaller Gus Bus. He doesn’t strike me as super quick or a pass catcher. 

Maybe the light turned on for Hill and he becomes that speed/receiving complement, or maybe they’re shopping the clearance aisle. SF is going to end up cutting a solid back, for example - one of Mitchell, Hasty, or Gallman. Or they trade one. Just wouldn’t rush to anoint Ty’Son yet, though he’s absolutely worth a pickup. 

Thought about Ty'son and Justice and then realized I'll let other league mates waste the roster spot. Not being cocky it's just that the odds of them getting to the starting role AND turning into a usable player are very low. Rather a lotto ticket WR who's already a #2 on a bad team. 

Chuba Hubbard, in case of injury.
With the new turf in Carolina... 

Thanks for the reminder. Was gonna snag him 18th round but saw Hunter Henry (shoulder) was still on the board.

I see the CMC [owner] was in the bidding on Ty’son last night (first waivers run.) I moved a couple Covid guys to IR and grabbed Bateman & Hubbard this morning. I’ll figure out the cuts next week when the Covid guys have to be rostered again.

It’s possible. Ollison really hasn’t shown anything in the NFL besides some short yardage success. It’s year 3 now. 

There was speculation among beat writers on Twitter that Huntley passed Ollison. Apparently Davis played the first snap, didn’t touch the ball, and didn’t play the rest of the game. Huntley then got the run ahead of Ollison who played into the late third quarter. 

Maybe they just wanted to see Huntley, sure, but I wouldn’t feel great about that if I owned Ollison. 
Apparently the Falcons disagree.

Thanks for the reminder. Was gonna snag him 18th round but saw Hunter Henry (shoulder) was still on the board.

I see the CMC [owner] was in the bidding on Ty’son last night (first waivers run.) I moved a couple Covid guys to IR and grabbed Bateman & Hubbard this morning. I’ll figure out the cuts next week when the Covid guys have to be rostered again.

I don't mean to put bad karma out in to the universe or anything, but, that turf just eats ACLs. 

Agreed, but Gio's play is more what seems to be getting attention. He's the only RB that seems to be able to catch and he has looking good in pass protection with Brady.
I've heard a few pundits say that Gio is the best pass blocking RB of his generation. That gets you a lot of playing time. 

Wondering how people see Hines-Indy vs Williams-Balt vs Hubbard-Caro?

Hines or Williams seem like they will get some regular work anyway week to week.   Hubbard only really in case of injury. 

Wondering how people see Hines-Indy vs Williams-Balt vs Hubbard-Caro?

Hines or Williams seem like they will get some regular work anyway week to week.   Hubbard only really in case of injury. 

I think that the main thrust of this thread is to look for RBs that have the skillset to be on the field enough to be considered a workhorse (by today's definition) and the ability to produce RB1-level numbers should he be given that opportunity.  Then the questions are what is the chance that he will get that opportunity and when.

To me, Hines is never really going to have the chance or skillset to have that RB1 upside.  Yes, I'm sure that he has the highest floor and median outcome of those 3 and will be a week-to-week contributor.  So if I wanted to roster someone who is guaranteed to be at least in consideration for starting in fantasy every week, then I would go for Hines.

Hubbard on the other hand is pretty much just a stash for now.  However, he would appear to have the skills to be an RB1 (to whatever extent anyone can know that about a rookie) and seemingly only needs a CMAC injury to get that chance.  If CMAC gets that injury in week 3 or 4 and is out for 6 weeks or more, you may have a bona fide stud.  If CMAC never gets hurt, you probably never use Chuba and you may consider dropping him at some point. 

Really, these 2 guys to me are excellent counterpoints for each other in terms of crystallizing what we are looking for in RBs in terms of skills vs. opportunity vs. floor/upside.  So it really comes down to what you are looking to get and what the rest of your roster looks like.

Williams is probably more of a wild card.  I think that his path to playing time is murkier given the 2 recent injuries in BAL.  On the one hand, that obviously opens up more playing time.  On the other, the fact that they had those other 2 guys in the mix in the first place says that they may or may not have great confidence in him, though I know he was turning heads before that and had perhaps surpassed Hill.  I don't consider Bell a huge threat, but he will probably be a consideration.  I also think that it is possible that Williams could overtake Gus for the number 1 spot even without an injury, mainly because the Ravens know what they have in Gus and have for years and never really seem to want to commit to him, even though he has produced a lot.  So Williams might end up with the easier path to RB1 numbers, but there is also a lot more volatility to the situation, so be prepared for that.

Always like this thread. Finding one of these guys can really make the difference (especially if you dont go RB-RB off the rip, which I didn't this year)

Ended up with Ty Johnson, Rashaad Penny and Kenneth Gainwell.  12 team league and I (in theory) have 3 pretty good starters (Kamara, D. Harris and Jacobs). But you just never know.

Should have prioritized getting Tony Jones but I waited one pick too long.

Not sure if he’s been mentioned, but Darrel Williams appears to be the primary backup to CEH. We know Williams is trusted in pass pro and trusted in the offense in general. If something bad happens to CEH, Williams is in a tremendous situation to eat. McKinnon would have a role, sure, but Williams would be lead dog on the best offense in the game. 

Not sure if he’s been mentioned, but Darrel Williams appears to be the primary backup to CEH. We know Williams is trusted in pass pro and trusted in the offense in general. If something bad happens to CEH, Williams is in a tremendous situation to eat. McKinnon would have a role, sure, but Williams would be lead dog on the best offense in the game. 
I drafted CEH and grabbed Williams as my last pick for this same line of thinking. Incredible offense is going to have opportunty.

Ty’son Williams, Darrell Williams, Tony Jones are all blending together with potential ripe opportunity should the situation arise and are hard for me to pick which dart to throw.

I think if I had to pick two it would be Tony Jones and Ty’Son. I’ve seen what Darrell can do and I was never too impressed.

JaMycal Hasty had 19 carries in one preseason game this August and two touchdowns in another
Thanks. In my CBSsports league 16 team league, he's the highest rated free agent. With the likes of James White, Damien Williams, and Penny. I wonder why he's rated so high. No faith in Mostert to stay healthy?

Todd Gurley getting mentioned for Ravens...doin't jump on that Justice Hill train too quick.

I think Gurley is worth highlighting right now.   It seems like he had more to offer last season than Bell and Freeman.   Is that assessment off base?

As I understand it, vested veteran contracts are no longer guaranteed following week 1. Is it possible there's an agreement in place between Gurley and the Ravens on a non-guaranteed contract for more than the veteran's minimum or whatever Bell and Freeman signed for?    That Gurley is actually the preferred "old man" RB in Baltimore, we just don't know it yet?

Is the fact that Freeman and Bell were signed directly to the practice squad with plans to promote significant?   Does that take away their guaranteed salary, or make it not count against the Ravens cap number?

Ty'son would certainly be my betting favorite to hold the #1.    However, are we sure that Gurley's knees are too far gone to beat Latavius for the #2 or possibly challenge Williams for the lead in a 3-man committee?

I have a complete mess at RB following Gus.   I'm holding Gurley and Freeman and need to drop one for a kicker.  I think Gurley might be the one to hold based on what might happen following week 1 in Baltimore or anywhere else.   Am I crazy? 

Mekhi Sargent TEN RB?
If rosters are deep enough, it's hard not to like a current #2 anywhere.   With this said, I haven't heard any buzz about this guy as someone to look out for.    Hence, I view him in the same light as I was viewing Evans and Brian Hill.   Not good enough to run away with anything resembling a feature role if Henry goes down, hence not worth rostering in my 24-man dyno.

Would love to hear any opinions to the contrary.  I just haven't heard anyone go to bat for this guy the way people have for Hill, Herbert, Jefferson, or Patterson.

If rosters are deep enough, it's hard not to like a current #2 anywhere.   With this said, I haven't heard any buzz about this guy as someone to look out for.    Hence, I view him in the same light as I was viewing Evans and Brian Hill.   Not good enough to run away with anything resembling a feature role if Henry goes down, hence not worth rostering in my 24-man dyno.

Would love to hear any opinions to the contrary.  I just haven't heard anyone go to bat for this guy the way people have for Hill, Herbert, Jefferson, or Patterson.
I have the same opinion.  I don't view TEN backups like I do DAL, MIN, BAL, etc.  If Henry goes down, I think it's the Tannehill show going forward.  Evans was intriguing not as a Henry replacement, but more as a permanent 3rd down RB.

I think Gurley is worth highlighting right now.   It seems like he had more to offer last season than Bell and Freeman.   Is that assessment off base?
I dunno - Gurley looked pretty washed when I last saw him. 

plus the chronic arthritic knee isn’t a plus. He wouldn’t be featured if signed, IMO. 

I have the same opinion.  I don't view TEN backups like I do DAL, MIN, BAL, etc.  If Henry goes down, I think it's the Tannehill show going forward.  Evans was intriguing not as a Henry replacement, but more as a permanent 3rd down RB.
I sort of agree. But on the flip side, I’m not sure Tannehill is as good without that run game. They’d have to plug someone in. Whomever it is could be plenty valuable. I don’t think they just go all out air attack & I think Tannehill would suffer if they tried. 

Users who are viewing this thread