What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Work Stoppage? Ruh oh... (1 Viewer)

It's interesting that you think that exploited workers fighting for what they deserve is a "money grab". 

The owners grab money all year long. 
It’s a valid argument that players perhaps should be negotiating a larger slice of the pie without characterizing them as “exploited.”  

It’s a valid argument that players perhaps should be negotiating a larger slice of the pie without characterizing them as “exploited.”  
Just because the scale is different doesn't mean the situation is not exploitive. They're worth more than they're getting. Ownership is making absurd amounts of money, even when entirely incompetent.

Here's a chart of the Cleveland Browns franchise value since 2006. https://www.statista.com/statistics/194456/franchise-value-of-the-cleveland-browns-since-2006/

It's nearly quadrupled. It's almost $2 billion now. 

They've not had a winning season since 2007. They went 0-16 one year. They're 59-147-1 over that time frame. And they still made bank.

The players deserve more.

Just because the scale is different doesn't mean the situation is not exploitive. They're worth more than they're getting. Ownership is making absurd amounts of money, even when entirely incompetent.

Here's a chart of the Cleveland Browns franchise value since 2006. https://www.statista.com/statistics/194456/franchise-value-of-the-cleveland-browns-since-2006/

It's nearly quadrupled. It's almost $2 billion now. 

They've not had a winning season since 2007. They went 0-16 one year. They're 59-147-1 over that time frame. And they still made bank.

The players deserve more.
It's not like this is a corporate America situation though where CEO pay is escalating by factors of 1000x while worker wage remains stagnant.  Player salaries are escalating quickly alongside the team values rising.

Over that same period since 2006 the average player salary increased from $1.4 million to around $3 million.  Not quadrupled, sure, but a pretty hefty increase.

Also worth noting that most teams haven't quadrupled in that same span.  Most are somewhere between doubled and tripled, which is not really out of line with the average salary increase over the same time period.

It's not like this is a corporate America situation though where CEO pay is escalating by factors of 1000x while worker wage remains stagnant.  Player salaries are escalating quickly alongside the team values rising.

Over that same period since 2006 the average player salary increased from $1.4 million to around $3 million.  Not quadrupled, sure, but a pretty hefty increase.

Also worth noting that most teams haven't quadrupled in that same span.  Most are somewhere between doubled and tripled, which is not really out of line with the average salary increase over the same time period.
$3M is 1000x less than the median franchise value. More or less. Let alone franchise income. The pie is growing but the players still deserve more of it.

This drives me crazy about the NBA - basketball should be a team game.  I don't like watching the best player on a team waving everyone off so he can go one on one.
Remember teams from the 80s and early 90s? Arguably the greatest superstars of the sport of all time -- Bird, Magic, MJ, Isaiah, etc. 

And yet despite the presence of superstars, and these superstars often having to put the game on their shoulders, it was STILL a team game and you got steady incredible contribution from other guys who were just as valuable to the team (Parish, McHale, DJ / Worthy, old Kareem, Byron Worthy, AC Green / Pippen, Grant, Horace Grant, BJ Armstrong, Bill Cartwright / Dantley, Laimbeer, Aguirre, Dumars, Rodman, Salley). Cavs, Jazz, Pacers, etc. -- all had superstars but deep rosters that contributed. They all played together as a team.

Far different from today's game (though I see some teams return to deep bench philosophy). And the reason I stopped watching the NBA as religiously as I did when I was a kid.    

NBA Finals ratings are down about 50% from their 1998 peak. Approximately 18 million watched the Finals last year, down 10% from 2017. Average viewership for regular-season games was 1.28 million. 
I wonder if last year people were simply getting fatigued from seeing the Warriors and the Cavs being so dominant. This year there is more parity, but as far as ratings are concerned, teams like Philly and Milwaukee may not be the biggest TV markets, and Toronto, while having a huge population, may not register with US fans.

$3M is 1000x less than the median franchise value. More or less. Let alone franchise income. The pie is growing but the players still deserve more of it.
OK but is that number out of line with any other billion+ dollar businesses? What does an average chase bank worker make relative to the value of chase bank. I'm guessing a lot less than 1/1000th. 

Also why are we comparing salary to the value of the franchise? It's not like that valuation is liquid cash. The Browns' annual revenue is $375 million and that's before any expenses are figured in for actual profit. 

I'm not saying they don't deserve more but it seems like relative to most industries they're getting a pretty good piece of the pie. Now you could pretty easily argue that NFL players are more important to the success of the nfl than bank tellers are to the success of chase Bank, but they're already getting an exponentially larger piece of the pie to account for that. 

I think everyone has learned a valuable lesson from the 94/95 MLB strike and the 04/05 NHL lockout.

No one wins, and there's a lot of money at stake.

Both sides will posture but at the end of the day a deal will likely get done. 

OK but is that number out of line with any other billion+ dollar businesses? What does an average chase bank worker make relative to the value of chase bank. I'm guessing a lot less than 1/1000th. 

Also why are we comparing salary to the value of the franchise? It's not like that valuation is liquid cash. The Browns' annual revenue is $375 million and that's before any expenses are figured in for actual profit. 

I'm not saying they don't deserve more but it seems like relative to most industries they're getting a pretty good piece of the pie. Now you could pretty easily argue that NFL players are more important to the success of the nfl than bank tellers are to the success of chase Bank, but they're already getting an exponentially larger piece of the pie to account for that. 
I think bank tellers, and service workers, and tech workers, and pretty much everyone outside of the executive suite is getting exploited right now. Athletes have a little more leverage than most workers in today's anti-worker climate. (NFL athletes less than NBA/MLB, for various reasons). 

I'll never understand the American idea of "well everyone is getting screwed at work so why should it get better for anyone?"

Users who are viewing this thread