What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (3 Viewers)

This band was called The Reunion Beatles.  The idea is what it would have been like if they all lived and reunited for concerts when they were 60ish.  So, they did Beatles tunes but also a few Wings joints and solo songs as well. 
That is good shtick.

Tell them to play Monkberry Moon Delight.

I had to take a bit of Beatles Break after this thread wound down.  Actually fired up a few other channels on the SiriusXM for once.  Then my wife saw something about a free concert with a Beatles tribute band last night so we drove 90 minutes to check it out.  And now I'm back in full Beatles mode.  No other band does that to me.  

I know Beatles tribute bands have been discussed in the various threads.  While I truly enjoy them, the concept is still a bit weird to me.  These people aren't just playing the Beatles music, they are actually pretending to be the real-life person down to the last detail while they are doing it.  I have never seen a tribute band for another act; do they all do this?  I know obviously there are Elvis impersonators, but are there Stones bands out there with someone dressed up to look 156 to be Keith Richards?  Are there Kiss bands out there where they find the guy with the longest tongue they can find and throw him in some makeup to be Simmons?  Or is this just a Beatles thing?  

This band was called The Reunion Beatles.  The idea is what it would have been like if they all lived and reunited for concerts when they were 60ish.  So, they did Beatles tunes but also a few Wings joints and solo songs as well.  Their musicianship was pretty strong and it was an enjoyable show.  It was kind of weird though that the "Paul" had the haircut of 1965 Paul, while George looked like 1998 George and Ringo looked like Ringo has looked since 1992.  Strangely, even though it's never been one of my favorites, the song I have in my head all morning after hearing it last night is "Starting Over".  

I miss talking Beatles with everyone.  I can't wait to hear about K4's Liverpool trip.  That has definitely become a bucket-list item for me.  

Yeah, the dressing up stuff is weird.  I like the idea of this one including the post-Beatles stuff, though.

Liverpool is now late October, which, other than probably not running into Paul then, should generally be a better time to be going.

I'm currently in the midst of my second online Beatles class, which is a lot of fun.  Kinda enjoyed the first one more because it was every day, and this one is every Monday.  I miss learning something every day and having to wait a week instead.  Also, this class seems to be full of a lot of old-white-guy wanna-be musicians who end up interrupting the speakers to ask the dumbest questions or to try show their "knowledge."  The first one had a lot less of that.  Still, I love listening to the songs with a different ear. 

This week was dedicated to Paul's bass playing, with an emphasis on thread-favorite "Hey Bulldog."  One of my favorites from the earlier class was a session on Ringo's drumming where the guy set up different drum kits of the type and set-up that Ringo had at different points in their recordings, and he would demo the changes in Ringo's style.  It didn't hurt that the drummer was quite dreamy.  A RINGO SHOWCASE!

Hmmm, I just noticed something about this thread.

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to congratulate Ringo, Paul, Olivia, and Yoko (and Peter Jackson and others) for the five (5!) Emmys that they won last night for "Get Back"! :pickle:

Was that last night? Wondered why I was being informed in various feeds Paul and Ringo now have an EGO (along with Adele & Eminem.)

Welp, just have to do a stage version of "Get Back" then.

On an errand yesterday morning, I had the SiriusXM Beatles Channel on. The person doing “Fab Four” was Kim Cattral. If Krista was listening, she may have rolled her eyes when one of the selections was Penny Lane. Cattral dedicated She’s Leaving Home to her mom, who, alone as a tween or teen after WW2, scrounged up 10 pounds to leave England and emigrate to the US.

I’ve been meaning to ask @krista4 and other Beatles board aficionados if there was any particular reason Ringo didn’t tour until 20 years after The Beatles broke up. He’s toured with variations of his All Starr Band for 33 years (and is on the road currently). He recorded 9 albums in between (but then toured when he hadn’t released anything in 6 years). He’s on his 15th tour now. I just find it odd he took such a huge break in the middle. Does he have an aversion to singing for that much in a single show?

I’ve been meaning to ask @krista4 and other Beatles board aficionados if there was any particular reason Ringo didn’t tour until 20 years after The Beatles broke up. He’s toured with variations of his All Starr Band for 33 years (and is on the road currently). He recorded 9 albums in between (but then toured when he hadn’t released anything in 6 years). He’s on his 15th tour now. I just find it odd he took such a huge break in the middle. Does he have an aversion to singing for that much in a single show?
I always assumed it was because most of the venues didn't want to acquiesce to the clause in his rider designating a recommended daily allowance of boogaloo.

Mostly the booze and drugs. He’s described having years of being blackout drunk every day. And a lot of cocaine. Hanging so much with Harry Nilsson and for a time Keith Moon didn’t help. He went into treatment in the late 80s and has been sober - and prolific and touring - ever since.

There were other factors, too, such as the fact that he always hated Beatles’ shows because, even more so for a drummer than the others, it was near-impossible to perform well when you can’t hear through all the screaming. And when he had bouts of being upright, he was trying to make movies. But mostly it was the booze. And the boogaloo.

Users who are viewing this thread