What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Music Thread. New Year, New Music. (1 Viewer)

What follows is just an early Saturday drunken dump of musical "hot takes" of what I've listened to over the past 6 weeks or so.  Take it with all the possible grains of salt (not, " Sault" the awesome band, who's songs are suddenly no longer available to those of us who follow such things).

"Earthling" - Eddie Vedder.  Not a "new" album, but one I don't believe has been mentioned before.  I profess to being a "Pearl Jam" fan and this album feels like a "Pearl Jam" album, thus I strongly recommend it.  Vedder is an excellent musician and this album reflects his talent.  Might not be the greatest music you've heard this year, but is still ranks in the top 25%.  Make of that what you will.

"Lucifer on the Sofa" - Spoon.  I happen to believe the first two songs off this album are the two best songs off ANY album this year.  Is that enough to make it it AOTY for me?  It's in the debate, that's for sure.

"Love Sux" - Avril Lavigne. Avril stays in her lane and produces an entire album of enjoyable and listenable pop-punk songs. Not exceptional, but worthy of your attention.

"Oochya!" - Stereophonics.  I have no colorful endorsements for this one.  If you enjoy a good blend of rock-n-roll, I can't imagine how you'd have an issue with this album.  It's just good.  No further adjectives needed.  Good is good. If you don't believe me, just listen to the album.  

I've offered up a few "Likes" already in this thread for those of you who have posted songs that have piqued my interest.  Please keep the suggestions coming.  They're very much appreciated!

J

Last edited by a moderator:
While that's true, how well do you expect a 70 year old band to play?  I respect the effort, but wasn't impressed by the results.

Not awful, just nowhere near their peak effort.

J
Sounds like old school Scorpions to me. Does it match their best work? No. Do most albums from most bands past their first 2-3 albums? Not usually. For something put out 50 plus years since their debut its pretty damn impressive. Klaus voice alone sounding that good is amazing. Yes I know computers probably helped.

https://youtu.be/TllvFtkXMBE

Sounds like old school Scorpions to me. 
No argument there and i have nothing but respect for their longevity.  I'm just saying I don't think they did a lot to expand their base with this new album.  Scorps fans will enjoy this album while everyone else will be surprised to find out the Scorpions are still together and putting out albums.

J

New Arcade Fire - The Lightning I, II

Part two is very Funeralesque
Love seeing that they have a new one coming out. 

Looking forward to Arcade Fire, Muse and Porcupine Tree all releasing new albums in the next few months, and I am still trying to digest the ones by Tears for Fears and The Flower Kings (modern progressive rock with a Swedish folk sensibility).  And of course waiting for the next re-release by Taylor Swift.  2022 should be a good year for music when it is all said and done. 

Dazy's MAXIMUMBLASTSUPERLOUD was one of my favorite albums of 2021. He's teamed up with Militarie Gun for a catchy one off single that has a bit of a Weezer/Elastica vibe to it.

Pressure Cooker

There's a repress of Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone by The Walkmen kicking about from this past year. Limited to about 3,000 copies or so. Dig in, these things are hard to come by once they're gone. 

It's a great album. I'm listening now. The piano is haunting, the slurry vocals Dylan-styled and hip. 

They're winning again
And no it's not fair
But...what is? 

hello music friends.

I used to be able to copy all the songs from a playlist in Spotify and paste them into another playlist on Spotify (eg: 2022 playlist into my Catch-all playlist). But I am striking out selecting more than one song at a time in both phone app and laptop/web versions.

hello music friends.

I used to be able to copy all the songs from a playlist in Spotify and paste them into another playlist on Spotify (eg: 2022 playlist into my Catch-all playlist). But I am striking out selecting more than one song at a time in both phone app and laptop/web versions.

CTRL click for multiple songs

CTRL-A for entire playlist

I'm using the Windows app

hello music friends.

go to your library, select the desired playlist you wish to move, click the 3 dot menu, select "add to other playlist"

Dazy's MAXIMUMBLASTSUPERLOUD was one of my favorite albums of 2021. He's teamed up with Militarie Gun for a catchy one off single that has a bit of a Weezer/Elastica vibe to it.

Pressure Cooker

Archers of Loaf T-shirt? I wouldn't have remembered them in a million but for that. 

Very nineties song. Has a Luscious Jackson vibe to it, without the females. 

There's a really great classic country album woven throughout the new Big Thief. Not every song, but you could easily cherry pick them and make a straight up country masterpiece
The whole thing is great. Every song has it rewards to the repeated listener. I normally don’t expect that for an album of any length let alone a 20-song, 80 minute one!

I don’t like Oso Oso’s new one as much as their last one but it’s still very good 

The guitar player died after the basic tracks were laid down in early 2021. The surviving members decided not to re-record anything in tribute to Tavish.

I really like about half of the songs. If they'd developed some of the others more, it might be stronger musically but it wouldn't be the same album.

The guitar player died after the basic tracks were laid down in early 2021. The surviving members decided not to re-record anything in tribute to Tavish.

I really like about half of the songs. If they'd developed some of the others more, it might be stronger musically but it wouldn't be the same album.
I feel the same way. Almost every song has a nice moment or two but some of the hooks just miss a little for me. Computer Explorer is one of their best songs though. 

Seatbelts are an offshoot of Hooton Tennis Club who got some love on this board a long while back.  Their music is similar to the retro Britpop of the old band but the addition of a female voice to the two Hooton Tennis singers opens up some musical possibilities.

Spanish Songs

Band I'm seeing tonight - Sham Family (opening for Born Ruffians, whose record label they're signed to) has released a self-titled EP. Noisy post-punk maybe in a similar vein as last year's very good Squid album, Bright Green Field

Spitting Image

Plague Protection
First of all....the bolded :wub:

Looking forward to hearing how it was.

And Sham Family sound pretty good...thanks for the tip

Seatbelts are an offshoot of Hooton Tennis Club who got some love on this board a long while back.  Their music is similar to the retro Britpop of the old band but the addition of a female voice to the two Hooton Tennis singers opens up some musical possibilities.

Spanish Songs
I think it may have just been me. They had a parquet courts wannabe style going that turned my crank. Thanks for this tip...

First of all....the bolded :wub:

Looking forward to hearing how it was.

And Sham Family sound pretty good...thanks for the tip
It was a great show, they played everything I wanted to hear (Needle, Forget You, Fade to Black, etc...), which based on setlists I'd looked at before, they don't always. The small club they played in was packed, I didn't see much promotion for it, so I was worried but they probably pushed it to the schools in town and not to olds like me. 

It was a great show, they played everything I wanted to hear (Needle, Forget You, Fade to Black, etc...), which based on setlists I'd looked at before, they don't always. The small club they played in was packed, I didn't see much promotion for it, so I was worried but they probably pushed it to the schools in town and not to olds like me. 
Probably used the snapchats tickytox and myspace stuff the kids use.

wow, with this album. 

the first song started... I had to triple check to make sure I was in the right place... piano chord screw-up "####"... *bang*

whoa... I'm midway through my first listen... there's a reprise of that first tune? 

I'm not a lyrics guy... I can literally go years without even trying hear what people are saying/singing on songs I love. there's so much going on here- I feel like I'm going to have to listen many times, and actually listen to the lyrics. 

one of my favorite bands from SF- cow-punk, Deislehed- had a song called "B A Band", where all the lyrics are about what the band will be doing after they break up (and they'd improv these live)... reminds me of that opener.

that opener reminds me of seeing another SF punk band, Pop-o-Pies, performing live in the 80s after the SF Chron competely ripped them apart... band came on stage (and I think they were opening for some Brit new wave or post punk band) banging one chord at full volume while the singer read the review. 

this album... I'm getting a bit of a Hold Steady vibe too. 

wow, with this album. 

the first song started... I had to triple check to make sure I was in the right place... piano chord screw-up "####"... *bang*

whoa... I'm midway through my first listen... there's a reprise of that first tune? 

I'm not a lyrics guy... I can literally go years without even trying hear what people are saying/singing on songs I love. there's so much going on here- I feel like I'm going to have to listen many times, and actually listen to the lyrics. 

one of my favorite bands from SF- cow-punk, Deislehed- had a song called "B A Band", where all the lyrics are about what the band will be doing after they break up (and they'd improv these live)... reminds me of that opener.

that opener reminds me of seeing another SF punk band, Pop-o-Pies, performing live in the 80s after the SF Chron competely ripped them apart... band came on stage (and I think they were opening for some Brit new wave or post punk band) banging one chord at full volume while the singer read the review. 

this album... I'm getting a bit of a Hold Steady vibe too. 
Have you not listened to PUP before?

The Hellacopters released their first album in fourteen years. They were always my favorites from the great Scandinavian Garage Rock wave of the early 2000s.

They haven't learned any new tricks since then which is a good thing IMO.  Unlike a lot of their contemporaries, they still lean more towards 70s Hard Rock than Punk.

Reap a Hurricane :headbang:

The Hellacopters released their first album in fourteen years. They were always my favorites from the great Scandinavian Garage Rock wave of the early 2000s.

They haven't learned any new tricks since then which is a good thing IMO.  Unlike a lot of their contemporaries, they still lean more towards 70s Hard Rock than Punk.

Reap a Hurricane :headbang:
Omg...haven't heard their name in...probably 14years! Yeah...routinely good stuff from them, usually staying in their wheelhouse 

The Dream is Over is an awesome album. I like this one too. NV goes nuts every time they drop something is the only reason I axed 
PUP is the best band in the world that sometimes still plays my smallish city. Though I suspect soon that will end and I'll have to go Toronto to see them. 

I liked Caracara's new album New Preoccupations.  I guess I'd classify it as Post-Emo with some of the genre's rough edges smoothed over with synths and strings.  There's no screaming until the outro of the last track but still plenty of angst and some huge majestic build-ups and climaxes. 

Hyacinth

I still have the new PUP on my to-do list. The new Harley Poe was first in my release radar so that got first spin rights and kinda stuck all weekend so far.

Why are your top few albums of this first quarter?

My top two are:

Black Country, New Road — Ants From up There

Big Thief — Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You

I liked a handful of others but these two I rate as masterpieces.

Juxtatarot said:
Why are your top few albums of this first quarter?

Black Country, New Road — Ants From up There
probably that one and...

Bodega- Broken Equipment

but that PUP album might make the list.

Users who are viewing this thread