What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 New York Football Giants (under new management of Schoen & Daboll) (1 Viewer)

Addressing this to al The NegaBobs out there. It's week 15 in the first year of a rebuild. The Giants are playing in a prime time game with PLAYOFF implications.
Every team they play has more talent. We all know where the holes are,and there are many,yet this team has willed itself into meaningful December football in(to quote my grandaughters favorite
movie) "The First Time in Forever". Enjoy it. I am :banned:

Addressing this to al The NegaBobs out there. It's week 15 in the first year of a rebuild. The Giants are playing in a prime time game with PLAYOFF implications.
Every team they play has more talent. We all know where the holes are,and there are many,yet this team has willed itself into meaningful December football in(to quote my grandaughters favorite
This game is only meaningful if they win it ... otherwise it's just another loss during the collapse

Someone please explain to me what the Giants are doing that would justify the Rebuild excuse?
I agree that the New Regime was in cap hell ... but they were also left with alot of talent and Draft collateral (2 top 7 picks in the 2022 Draft)

• Did they handle the Bradberry situation well? I dont think so ... they made it clear that he did not fit their scheme and then tried to trade him
  • Did they handle the Toney situation Well ? I dont think so ... they traded him for Crap ... might as well try to make it work
  • Did they handle the Golladay situation well ? Nope should tried to build up his value rather then bench him ... they got nothing at WR ...Golladay should be on the field 90% of the time
  • Free Agents ... terrible
  • Draft ... C- at best considering the capital that they had
  • Is Saquan being used properly ... They dont throw to him enough, they dont use 2 RBs enough, they dont run to his strength enough
  • Did they develop Jones enough ... not letting him throw downfield even though he has had a lot of success throwing deep
  • Slayton was almost thrown away fro nothing despite easily being their best WR option
  • They could have traded Saquan or Leonard Williams for draft capital if they were in a rebuild ... they didnt
  • Have they gotten progressively better ? ... Nope quite the opposite , theyve gotten progressively worse
They won early against bad teams that happened to be struggling at the time ...

This game is only meaningful if they win it ... otherwise it's just another loss during the collapse
Hello Bob

Someone please explain to me what the Giants are doing that would justify the Rebuild excuse?
I agree that the New Regime was in cap hell ... but they were also left with alot of talent and Draft collateral (2 top 7 picks in the 2022 Draft)

• Did they handle the Bradberry situation well? I dont think so ... they made it clear that he did not fit their scheme and then tried to trade him
  • Did they handle the Toney situation Well ? I dont think so ... they traded him for Crap ... might as well try to make it work
  • Did they handle the Golladay situation well ? Nope should tried to build up his value rather then bench him ... they got nothing at WR ...Golladay should be on the field 90% of the time
  • Is Saquan being used properly ... They dont throw to him enough, they dont use 2 RBs enough, they dont run to his strength enough
  • Did they develop Jones enough ... not letting him throw downfield even though he has had a lot of success throwing deep
  • Slayton was almost thrown away fro nothing despite easily being their best WR option
  • They could have traded Saquan or Leonard Williams for draft capital if they were in a rebuild ... they didnt
  • Have they gotten progressively better ? ... Nope quite the opposite , theyve gotten progressively worse
Well when you put that way..🤣🤣
I agree with some of these but since I’m bored I’ll try to address them all

• I agree they didn’t handle the Bradberry situation properly but the issue wasn’t announcing that he didn’t fit the scheme, the error was stating publicly there was a cap number that they were trying to reach and what that number was. Heck anyone with eyes could see Bradberry didn’t fit Wink’s system.
  • Toney - The #1 ability is availability, for reasons unknown to us the guy is almost never available to play. I think he has played in just 2 games since being traded. If he was still on the roster you would be complaining the most about him not being on the field
  • I agree with you on Golladay.
  • Free agents – they missed on some but hit on others
  • Draft: The draft takes time to truly evaluate. My view on the draft in general is as follows
    • 1st round – impact players or at least solid starters
    • 2nd – potential starters and reliable 2nd string guys
    • 3rd-4th – depth, special teams and developmental
    • 5th-7th – special teams and developmental
  • Saquon – I agree here. Regardless of the regime the Giants can’t seem to run an effective screen. But beyond the screen game they should have Saquon lined up in the slot etc.
  • DJ – I get that you would like to see him throw deep more but they have helped to cut down on his turnovers (which was his biggest issue) and they have him using his legs more.
  • Slayton – not much to say about him other than the kid stuck it out and has improved his value
  • They were in a tough spot at the trade deadline – a spot they probably didn’t anticipate being in when they took over the job which was right in the thick of the playoff hunt. They did not deviate from keeping next year’s cap in good shape. I assume they didn’t trade Saquon because they want him to be part of the future (maybe the owner more than the GM). There were reports that they were trying to extend him during the bye week. Maybe they are planning on keeping Leo until his contract runs out at the end of 2024 (I don’t know)
  • Have they gotten worse, or have they simply had a ton of injuries to key starters?
  • Sure they won some games against bad teams early in the year but under previous leadership they weren’t winning those games. They also have a couple of wins against teams that currently own the 3 & 4 seed in the AFC.

• I agree they didn’t handle the Bradberry situation properly but the issue wasn’t announcing that he didn’t fit the scheme, the error was stating publicly there was a cap number that they were trying to reach and what that number was. Heck anyone with eyes could see Bradberry didn’t fit Wink’s system.
  • Toney - The #1 ability is availability, for reasons unknown to us the guy is almost never available to play. I think he has played in just 2 games since being traded. If he was still on the roster you would be complaining the most about him not being on the field
  • Draft: The draft takes time to truly evaluate. My view on the draft in general is as follows
  • Saquon – I agree here. Regardless of the regime the Giants can’t seem to run an effective screen. But beyond the screen game they should have Saquon lined up in the slot etc.
  • DJ – I get that you would like to see him throw deep more but they have helped to cut down on his turnovers (which was his biggest issue) and they have him using his legs more.
  • Slayton – not much to say about him other than the kid stuck it out and has improved his value
  • They were in a tough spot at the trade deadline – a spot they probably didn’t anticipate being in when they took over the job which was right in the thick of the playoff hunt. They did not deviate from keeping next year’s cap in good shape. I assume they didn’t trade Saquon because they want him to be part of the future (maybe the owner more than the GM). There were reports that they were trying to extend him during the bye week. Maybe they are planning on keeping Leo until his contract runs out at the end of 2024 (I don’t know)
  • Have they gotten worse, or have they simply had a ton of injuries to key starters?
  • Sure they won some games against bad teams early in the year but under previous leadership they weren’t winning those games. They also have a couple of wins against teams that currently own the 3 & 4 seed in the AFC.
They obviously misjudged Bradberry which was a huge screwup. They were trying to justify letting him go because he did not fit Winks man coverage scheme.
As it turns out ... the eagles run man coverage as much as the Giants and Bradberry is the #1 man coverage CB in the NFL this season.
Giants were weak and thin at CB and could not afford to let Bradberry go ... There are always ways to clear cap space including extending Bradberry which in hindsight would have clearly been the right move

To get nothing back for one of the best CBs in the NFL hurts alot !!!

They obviously misjudged Bradberry which was a huge screwup. They were trying to justify letting him go because he did not fit Winks man coverage scheme.
As it turns out ... the eagles run man coverage as much as the Giants and Bradberry is the #1 man coverage CB in the NFL this season.
Giants were weak and thin at CB and could not afford to let Bradberry go ... There are always ways to clear cap space including extending Bradberry which in hindsight would have clearly been the right move

To get nothing back for one of the best CBs in the NFL hurts alot !!!
I agree I would have like to see them work something out with Bradberry, I think he is very good.
That being said my understanding from reading about Wink’s defense is that he prefers PRESS man corners. Bradberry is considered more of an OFF man corner.
Disclaimer: I am not a scout and I do not spend hours breaking down CB techniques

Also did you happen to notice who was #6 on that list of top CB you listed? It was none other than free agent acquisition Fabian Moreau.

after seeing this Giants-Commanders game I'll say the same thing I said in the SNF thread:

Giants should offer a 1 year, 10 million dollar incentive-laden contract to Daniel Jones. Take it or GTFO; he does nothing to elevate the value of other and the Giants seemingly will never trust him to win a game because Jones can't. If Saquon isn't a Giant in 2023 it'll be criminal, because he's carried this team all team to the detriment of his health. also MY GOD KAKFA, can you use Barkley more in space please?

after seeing this Giants-Commanders game I'll say the same thing I said in the SNF thread:

Giants should offer a 1 year, 10 million dollar incentive-laden contract to Daniel Jones. Take it or GTFO; he does nothing to elevate the value of other and the Giants seemingly will never trust him to win a game because Jones can't. If Saquon isn't a Giant in 2023 it'll be criminal, because he's carried this team all team to the detriment of his health. also MY GOD KAKFA, can you use Barkley more in space please?

What is your plan to replace Jones? Back up the brinks truck for Lamar Jackson? Overpay for Geno Smith? Take a flyer on Garopollo or Mayfield? The Giants aren't going to be high enough to get one of the top QBs in the draft. I don't think you can win a Superbowl with Jones, but I don't think you're going to win with any of the FA QBs that could hit the market either.

And again I will tip a glass and enjoy this REBUILD season. Here's a query,how many NFL teams have made the playoffs in the first year of a true rebuild?

What is your plan to replace Jones? Back up the brinks truck for Lamar Jackson? Overpay for Geno Smith? Take a flyer on Garopollo or Mayfield? The Giants aren't going to be high enough to get one of the top QBs in the draft. I don't think you can win a Superbowl with Jones, but I don't think you're going to win with any of the FA QBs that could hit the market either.
a) Jones will take the deal, because I can't see ANYONE offering him a big contract. b) If he doesn't resign, then Tyrod Taylor (would be year 2 of a 2-year, $11 million dollar deal) will step in. Giant's aren't in a win-now situation, they can be in a rebuild next year also. Alternatively, they could try trading up in the draft this year with their bevy of picks.

8-8-1 will be a successful year from my perspective. I genuinely expected 5-12 season with this roster. Injuries and other issues have made this team only worse. Still can’t figure out how this team at worst will end up .500.

Man I could watch the game highlights from Thibodeaux all day. What a game that young man had.
The Giants have a very nice set of young OLB!
Here are Azeez' career stats thus far (22 games)
12,5 sacks
10 TFL
19 QB hits
4 Forced Fumbles

Dude there is no way in hell Jones’ agent would/should let him sign a 1 year 10M deal. The agent would never get another client.
Jones obviously isn’t in the class of QB who can put a team on his back like say Mahomes or Allen. And he hasn’t lived up to being the #6 pick
But he has cut down his turnovers significantly and is in that 16-20 range in QB rating.
I’m not sure what the going rate for a QB in that range is but I’m sure it’s more than 10M

a) Jones will take the deal, because I can't see ANYONE offering him a big contract. b) If he doesn't resign, then Tyrod Taylor (would be year 2 of a 2-year, $11 million dollar deal) will step in. Giant's aren't in a win-now situation, they can be in a rebuild next year also. Alternatively, they could try trading up in the draft this year with their bevy of picks.
LOL. Jones is not signing a $10MM deal. There are probably a dozen teams with way worse QB situations (the Commies being one) who have solid offensive and/or defensive talent and are looking for a stable QB to man the ship. His market value is probably in the mid-$20MM range and I would bet, if things continue the way they have, the Giants will try and get that done on a ~3 year contract. As has been said a dozen times, if you let him walk, what is the alternative? Hint: they are way worse than Jones. Bring him in on a 3 year deal, continue to fill the (numerous) holes through the draft, and give yourself time so they are not overreaching on a young replacement.

LOL. Jones is not signing a $10MM deal. There are probably a dozen teams with way worse QB situations (the Commies being one) who have solid offensive and/or defensive talent and are looking for a stable QB to man the ship. His market value is probably in the mid-$20MM range and I would bet, if things continue the way they have, the Giants will try and get that done on a ~3 year contract. As has been said a dozen times, if you let him walk, what is the alternative? Hint: they are way worse than Jones. Bring him in on a 3 year deal, continue to fill the (numerous) holes through the draft, and give yourself time so they are not overreaching on a young replacement.
https://boardroom.tv/daniel-jones-contract-extension-projection/
Spotrac estimates Jones will get 3 years for 75M

Then Giants can add incentives so it reaches 15 million but have a low guaranteed base. They're certainly not tagging Jones, that'll be rewarding the mistake. When push comes to shove, every time in the clutch when a big play has been needed, it's consistently Saquon or the Defense that bring it.

Im not a salary cap expert but what I can say is that the Giants should certainly try to sign this guy for a couple additional years. He is an average starting QB but he is certainly good enough to continue guiding the Giants as they break out of salary cap jail and continue to acquire better players. He seems to have really gotten a handle on his fumbling problem and never has been a huge interception machine. Signing him for a couple additional years also frees them from falling into the trap of trading up for the shiny new QB in the draft and chasing that fantasy and allows them to draft quality early-round players to fill all of the other many holes on this roster for a couple more years. He isn't dynamic but he is good enough to win with, even with this pretty lousy roster (DLine, Saquon and Andrew Thomas aside). And if they took the handcuffs off him just a LITTLE bit he could really be a lot better than his numbers show. This team has many deficiencies, and finding a new starting QB right now is not a top priority.

link

"Brian Daboll says Josh Ezeudu (neck, IR) is probably more of a long term than short term injury, but not career threatening. Injuries a frustrating theme this season."

Then Giants can add incentives so it reaches 15 million but have a low guaranteed base. They're certainly not tagging Jones, that'll be rewarding the mistake. When push comes to shove, every time in the clutch when a big play has been needed, it's consistently Saquon or the Defense that bring it.
$20M would be a steal for 3 years ... $25m would be fair value
14 x QBs make between $29,500,000 and $50m per season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Tae Crowder signing to Giants practice squad, per report​

That must have been a humbling experience for him.
Complains about lack of playing time by sending a "free me" tweet.
Gets his wish and is released.
Finds out no other teams want him.
Hopefully he can contribute moving forward

And again I will tip a glass and enjoy this REBUILD season. Here's a query,how many NFL teams have made the playoffs in the first year of a true rebuild?
The Eagles last year? they were 4-11-1 in 2020 and were going with a 1st year starting QB last year with a first year head coach, OC, and DC. I think that qualifies as a true rebuild

What exactly typifies a True Rebuild season? Or a rebuild season for that matter??

Giants played a really good game today ... Thought they were actually the better team, not the more talented, but played better.
A lot of things went Minnesota's way. 2 x Reversed Int's, penalities, big injuries to Leonard Williams and Ojulari and of course their fat FG Kicker nails a 61 yard fielder which was 5 yards longer then his previous career high.

Saquan and Jones both played real good ... I'm pretty sure they will both be back next year unless someone offers Saquan an unreasonable contract. Jones will be back without question and probably at a team friendly $20-25m per year.

Giants are are 2 IOL, 1 Corner and 1 WR away from being legit SB contenders

Last edited:
That one hurt. Coulda,shoulda,woulda. But we can make it all right this week. Washington Team,Seattle and Detroit all dropped a present at our door. This team can compete with the best,don't slip up against The Colts and all will be well.

Giants are 8-6-1. According to NFL Tankathon, they're currently picking 23rd in the draft. If they lose out and hopefully miss the playoffs, now you're looking at a 12-14 range where you might be able to do things... a lot depends on the teams ahead of them but we'll see.

Giants are 8-6-1. According to NFL Tankathon, they're currently picking 23rd in the draft. If they lose out and hopefully miss the playoffs, now you're looking at a 12-14 range where you might be able to do things... a lot depends on the teams ahead of them but we'll see.
I find this mindset by fans fascinating. You can do plenty of good things picking in the 20s (or low 30s). The teams that have been consistently good over the last decade or two - Pittsburgh, GB, NE, Baltimore, KC - don't seem to have a problem reloading picking down that low most years. I'd rather the team I pull for pick in the back half of rounds (pick trades aside) because that means they are a good team.

watching waddle and hill today, man if DJ had receivers like this instead of our $72mm paperweight.
That was the talk of Xmas yesterday ... Imagine if Jones had just 1 of them never mind both!
Cant believe how bad Tua was yesterday ... Thanks to him GB is now in the playoff picture. If the Giants beat Indy like they should it doesnt matter what anyone else does
Makes you appreciate Jones all the more.

I find this mindset by fans fascinating. You can do plenty of good things picking in the 20s (or low 30s). The teams that have been consistently good over the last decade or two - Pittsburgh, GB, NE, Baltimore, KC - don't seem to have a problem reloading picking down that low most years. I'd rather the team I pull for pick in the back half of rounds (pick trades aside) because that means they are a good team.
Exactly ... Giants have been picking in the top 10-12 for years ... like Cle and the Jets.
More important to get this team playoff experience heading into next year

2022 - Evan Neal went pick 7 and is rated 13 of 13 Qualified Tackles drafted in 2022 - He's ranked 80 of 81 qualified Tackles in the NFL
2022 - Tyler Linderbaum went pick 25 last Year - PFF has him rated Center #6 in the NFL
2021 - Christian Darrisaw went pick 23 - His currently ranked # 2 Tackle inthe NFL by PFF
2020 - Justin Jefferson pick 22 - On pace to be one of the Greatest WRs in NFL History

Users who are viewing this thread