What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 New York Football Giants (under new management of Schoen & Daboll) (1 Viewer)

A blowout loss in Round 1 does nothing to help this Giants team, they're already playing massively over expectations with very little talent due to injuries. Also you're giving instances where you COULD get a good player in the later draft picks. I never said it was impossible, just very unlikely based on the draft market. The bigger difference @Qammy is that the list you made, none of those are impact QBs.
Giants are 8-6-1. According to NFL Tankathon, they're currently picking 23rd in the draft. If they lose out and hopefully miss the playoffs, now you're looking at a 12-14 range where you might be able to do things... a lot depends on the teams ahead of them but we'll see.
I find this mindset by fans fascinating. You can do plenty of good things picking in the 20s (or low 30s). The teams that have been consistently good over the last decade or two - Pittsburgh, GB, NE, Baltimore, KC - don't seem to have a problem reloading picking down that low most years. I'd rather the team I pull for pick in the back half of rounds (pick trades aside) because that means they are a good team.
You don't have issues with later picks when you're a team set at QB (the teams you mentioned? Kenny Pickett, Aaron Rodgers, Mac Jones, Patrick Mahomes); that's the price of being good. If the Giants want the option of trading up for a QB you want to be as close as possible.

A blowout loss in Round 1 does nothing to help this Giants team, they're already playing massively over expectations with very little talent due to injuries. Also you're giving instances where you COULD get a good player in the later draft picks. I never said it was impossible, just very unlikely based on the draft market. The bigger difference @Qammy is that the list you made, none of those are impact QBs.
Giants are 8-6-1. According to NFL Tankathon, they're currently picking 23rd in the draft. If they lose out and hopefully miss the playoffs, now you're looking at a 12-14 range where you might be able to do things... a lot depends on the teams ahead of them but we'll see.
I find this mindset by fans fascinating. You can do plenty of good things picking in the 20s (or low 30s). The teams that have been consistently good over the last decade or two - Pittsburgh, GB, NE, Baltimore, KC - don't seem to have a problem reloading picking down that low most years. I'd rather the team I pull for pick in the back half of rounds (pick trades aside) because that means they are a good team.
You don't have issues with later picks when you're a team set at QB (the teams you mentioned? Kenny Pickett, Aaron Rodgers, Mac Jones, Patrick Mahomes); that's the price of being good. If the Giants want the option of trading up for a QB you want to be as close as possible.
None of those QBs were chosen really high. You forgot to add Lamar Jackson, who was chosen #32. Rodgers went in the 20s. Pickett and Mac Jones are far from sure things, yet those teams remain competitive (I'd take Daniel Jones over both right now).

There are more than 12-14 good players in every draft. Draft them. Draft more in the later rounds. You need to get lucky at QB - Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning comes along once every 10-15 years. So find as many good players as you can and hope lightening strikes at QB.

If I were a NYG fan, I'd feel a damned sight better with a 10-6-1 2022 than 8-8-1 (just so my team could pick 10 spots higher in the 1st Round).

????

In the next NFL draft, the consensus Top 3 QBs probably won't last beyond #7. To get one of them in THE NEXT DRAFT, you want to be close so you don't spend as many assets on the trade-up, if an opportunity arises. My question is not "can they get a good NFL player" because that largely depends on depth in the draft, which depends on the position. QB is rarely ever deep where you can get a franchise QB in the 20s-30s. We all know why Lamar Jackson was still there at #32 despite plus athleticism and a strong arm. :<_<:

@Uruk-Hai , agree to disagree. There's no benefit to making the playoffs when it's going to be a quick 1-and-done and we won't answer any questions about players that we don't already know/have an idea about. If this was a situation where the D was largely intact and Saquon was 100% healthy, maybe I could see how the young defenders play in a tight playoff pressure situation. Or maybe if Daboli finally says "eff it, we're going full Josh Allen and see how Jones processes/does". But he won't because he knows Jones can't make that leap beyond poor man's Ryan Tannehill/homeless man's Jimmy Garoppolo. At some point Kakfa's just gotta throw Daniel Jones to the wolves and see if he can process/see what he's learned.

yeah, i don't get why we would be trading up for a QB with so many holes on the team. I get that Frankman simply does not like Daniel Jones but giving up draft capital to trade up with so many needs seems silly.

In the next NFL draft, the consensus Top 3 QBs probably won't last beyond #7. To get one of them in THE NEXT DRAFT, you want to be close so you don't spend as many assets on the trade-up, if an opportunity arises. My question is not "can they get a good NFL player" because that largely depends on depth in the draft, which depends on the position. QB is rarely ever deep where you can get a franchise QB in the 20s-30s. We all know why Lamar Jackson was still there at #32 despite plus athleticism and a strong arm. :<_<:

@Uruk-Hai , agree to disagree. There's no benefit to making the playoffs when it's going to be a quick 1-and-done and we won't answer any questions about players that we don't already know/have an idea about. If this was a situation where the D was largely intact and Saquon was 100% healthy, maybe I could see how the young defenders play in a tight playoff pressure situation. Or maybe if Daboli finally says "eff it, we're going full Josh Allen and see how Jones processes/does". But he won't because he knows Jones can't make that leap beyond poor man's Ryan Tannehill/homeless man's Jimmy Garoppolo. At some point Kakfa's just gotta throw Daniel Jones to the wolves and see if he can process/see what he's learned.
Who is going to play the roll of Stefon Diggs in this scenario???
Moving from 23 to 5-7 is probably going to cost the Giants 2 x 1st rd picks and a possibly another 2nd or 3rd.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced the Giants would get blown out in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Right now they would play SF and I do believe that SF would blow the Giants out.
However they could get a rematch against Minnesota and I just watched the Giants go toe to toe with them.

Minnesota's last two games are against GB & Chicago. SF has Las Vegas & Arizona.
SF trails Minnesota by 1 game for the #2 seed.
SF is 9-2 in conference, Minnesota is 7-3

"The more I watch the Martindale NYG defense from All-22, the more I think a true #1 corner will be the top need on this roster this offseason. Whether Jackson sticks or not."
@The Frankman who is your qb that you want us to lose the next two games and trade up for?
No one in the draft I would want. I would however tank for Caleb next year.
I heard on one of the national talk shows (I think it was Cowherd) that if Caleb and Drake Maye were eligible for the '23 draft they would be the 1st two QB's off the board.
Wow! Just watched their highlights and have to agree ... Caleb escapability in the pocket and laser midrange throws. Maye's running style reminds me of DJ's but he's unbeliveably smooth and patient passer ... His deep ball is unreal!

@art_stapleton

Giants have added to their ILB room: they've signed Jarrad Davis off the Lions' practice squad.

Brian Daboll dropped a hint that they were working on something to fill Shane Lemieux's roster spot.

Pat Leonard @PLeonardNYDN

Leonard Williams told me he's dealing with something in neck/trap area that probably won't be able to heal until offseason. He's just trying to play thru it. The ironman D-lineman has exited multiple games recently in severe pain. A lot more notes coming shortly in today's story.

@The Frankman who is your qb that you want us to lose the next two games and trade up for?

"When you complete eight passes to Isaiah Hodgins and eight passes to Richie James, it is called elevating the players around you."
The Giants highest drafted receiving target is Bellinger who was drafted in the 4th round. Slayton was drafted in the 5th round, Hodgins in the 6th and James in the 7th

@Yenrub I'd love to get any of the Top 3. Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud or Will Levis. Young is a pipe dream but Stroud/Levis probably go around 6th... If someone picks another guy unexpectedly it's possible one of them drop. I don't really trust Anthony Richardson right now; I'd have to watch more tape. I'd have to think any of them coudl show more of a ceiling than Jones right now. Also, there's a lot of time between the draft and now; something unexpected could happen where one of them drop.

@Qammy ... so you're saying there's a chance the great Nick Foles can pull off another Philly Special??? :yes:

Last edited:
@Yenrub I'd love to get any of the Top 3. Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud or Will Levis. Young is a pipe dream but Stroud/Levis probably go around 6th... If someone picks another guy unexpectedly it's possible one of them drop. I don't really trust Anthony Richardson right now; I'd have to watch more tape. I'd have to think any of them coudl show more of a ceiling than Jones right now. Also, there's a lot of time between the draft and now; something unexpected could happen where one of them drop.

@Qammy ... so you're saying there's a chance the great Nick Foles can pull off another Philly Special??? :yes:
Foles is a Super Bowl winning QB going angaints Daniel Jones ... Indy should be favored.

Foles is a Super Bowl winning QB going angaints Daniel Jones ... Indy should be favored.
Foles is playing against the Giants defense.
Jones is playing against The Colts defense.
I'm surprised The Giants aren't favored by more than they are.
Did you see the Colts Monday Night? At home? In a game that had less than a three point spread?

Foles is playing against the Giants defense.
Jones is playing against The Colts defense.
I'm surprised The Giants aren't favored by more than they are.
Did you see the Colts Monday Night? At home? In a game that had less than a three point spread?
Yeah I was being sarcastic

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Daboll said S Xavier McKinney (hand) will return to practice today with a “contraption” on his hand. Doesn’t sound like he’ll play this week but obviously a big step in the right direction.

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
McKinney’s 21-day practice window opens. Giants want to see what he can do on the field. Doesn’t sound like he’ll play Sunday, but Daboll doesn’t shut the door.

Pat Leonard
@PLeonardNYDN
Xavier McKinney is wearing a splint on his left hand, with his four fingers wrapped together and his thumb free. Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll both had a convo with him during the warmup period of practice #Giants.

McKinney coming back ... NOW I'm interested. McKinney quarterbacking the defense and the emergence of Kayvon Thibodeaux/Swiss Army Knife Julian Love... now that's something I would love to see on a bigger stage.

I'm not overly impressed with Tua or Mac Jones both of whom had much better passer ratings than Bryce ... Plus Bryce is the smallest of them all only listed at 6' 0" 194 lbs
2018 Tua: 199.2 passer rating, 69.0% completion %, 11.2 Y/A
2019 Tua: 206.9 passer rating, 71.4% completion %, 11.3 Y/A
2020 Mac: 203.1 passer rating, 77.4% completion %, 11.2 Y/A,
2021 Bryce: 167.5 passer rating, 66.9% completion %, 8.9 Y/A

Wouldnt touch any Ohio State QB with a top 1-10 pick ...Fields is a terrible passer and Stroud can't run and regressed as a junior

Will Levis is a 2-3 year project as is Richardson ... both are a high risk

Last edited:
@DDuggan 21

Injury updates from Daboll:

• Leonard Williams and Azeez Ojulari are good to go.

• Adoree’ Jackson will be a game-time decision.

• Xavier McKinney unlikely to play this week.

Dan Duggan @DDuggan21

Interesting note from LB Jarrad Davis: He said the Giants had been trying to poach him from the Lions' practice squad for a few weeks. But he didn't want to uproot his family and he was hoping to get promoted by the Lions...

But he wasn't elevated for Detroit's last game, so he decided to take the Giants up on their offer. Given the state of the Giants' LB corps, it wouldn't be a surprise if he gets an opportunity quickly.

Last edited:
Colts top pass rusher and sack leader Yannick Ngakoue was unexpectedly placed on IR yesterday and will undergo season ending throat surgery.

Giants are having this game gift wrapped for them ... A loss would be catastrophic

Giants could be coming to gether at just the right time. This is the first time they have had there defense together this season, Barkley and Jones are playing at their best right now, If Evan Neal steps up and they can stay healthy they can surprise a lot of people in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Daboll deserves a lot of credit
I think he has to be in running for cos h of the year. I still think this team sucks. They are doing this with lousy wide receivers and people they picked up off the street in November. He has done an incredible job. All in a season where they are trying yo get out of cap jail.

Congratulations on the impressive win and making the playoffs. Your coach deserves coach of the year with what he had to work with. As a Dallas fan, I’m excited about seeing 3 NFC East teams make it in.

Do the Giants have anything to play for next week?

Congrats Giant fans
Nope! Giants are locked into the #6 seed.
Hoping that the 49ers and Vikings end up flopping seeds because I would rather see the Vikings than the 49ers wildcard weekend

Daboll deserves a lot of credit
I think he has to be in running for cos h of the year. I still think this team sucks. They are doing this with lousy wide receivers and people they picked up off the street in November. He has done an incredible job. All in a season where they are trying yo get out of cap jail.
Team doesnt suck at all. They are a young team with some pretty solid talent, a lot of high draft picks and now with good coaching the talent is reaching it's potential.
On offense Jones, Saquan, and Thomas are a very solid core, Defensively they have one of the best Dlines in the NFL and Mckinney, Love, and jackson are a very solid core in the secondary

Do the Giants have anything to play for next week?

Congrats Giant fans
ruin the eagles season? otherwise no.
I mean it helps Dallas' then, so not sure they're really spoiling anything by winning.
I actually hate the Eagles more than I hate Dallas so I would love to ruin their season.

Actually If the Giants beat the Eagles I think there is a chance that they would have to face them again in the first round of the playoffs ... that would kind suck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread