What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 New York Football Giants (under new management of Schoen & Daboll) (1 Viewer)

I will be upset if DJ’s contract causes the Giants to lose Barkley

I like Barkly ... I was in the minority of fans who was for drafting him ... but this situation is pretty ugly.
How much would you be willing to pay Barkley ?? At what point do you say thanks anyway?
Lot of cons regarding signing him ...
  • Injury History
  • Age (26) ... Rbs historically decline around 26-27
  • Super Bowl Team RB Cap Allocation since 2014 (4.5m, 2.1m, 5.0m, 7.7m, 7.8m, 6.7m, 6.8m, 6.5m, 6.3m) This is for all of their RBs ... Giants will be close $20m if they pay 16m for Barkley
  • Of All of the RB contract comps ... Barkley would be one of the oldest RB to sign a 2nd contract (McCaffery was 24, Kamara 25, Zeke 24, cook 25, mixon 24, )

Last edited:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

NFL veteran QB Davis Webb, who spent last season backing up Daniel Jones, is being hired as the Broncos’ QB coach, per sources. The 28-year-old Webb now will be coaching the 34-year-old Russell Wilson in his first NFL coaching job.

I will be upset if DJ’s contract causes the Giants to lose Barkley

I like Barkly was in the minority who was for drafting him but this situation is pretty ugly.
How much would you be willing to pay Barkley ?? At what point do you say thanks anyway?
Lot of cons regarding signing him ...
  • Injury History
  • Age (26) ... Rbs historically decline around 26-27
  • Super Bowl Team RB Cap Allocation since 2014 (4.5m, 2.1m, 5.0m, 7.7m, 7.8m, 6.7m, 6.8m, 6.5m, 6.3m) This is for all of there RBs ... Giants will be close $20m if they pay 16m for Barkley
  • Of All of the RB contract comps ... Barkley would be one of the oldest RB to sign a 2nd contract (McCaffery was 24, Kamara 25, Zeke 24, cook 25, mixon 24, )
My statement is purely emotional. He is by far the Giants best offensive skill position player and one of the best players on the team. He is a much better RB than DJ is a QB.
(nothing against DJ)
That said I understand QB is harder to replace. Logically I understand what you are saying about RB’s on their 2nd contracts.
I don’t have a walk away number but my guess is that the Giants will not go any higher than 14m per season for Saquon.

If Jones' selfishness causes them to lose Barkley, the Giants offense is in deep trouble, There is no realistic scenario where the mantra for weeks has been "Let's improve the O around Daniel Jones" but lose Saquon Barkley (the guy keeping the Offense afloat) and believe that the offense will be better. Unless Gary Brightwell suddenly turns into the next McCaffrey, no one is fearing a RPO/PA with him at RB, or worrying about him at WR/running a Wildcat.

Last edited:
If Jones' selfishness causes them to lose Barkley, the Giants offense is in deep trouble, There is no realistic idea where the mantra is "Let's improve the O around Daniel Jones" but lose Saquon Barkley (the guy keeping the Offense afloat) and somehow believe the offense will be better. Unless Gary Brightwell suddenly turns into the next McCaffrey, no one is fearing a RPO/PA with him at RB, or worrying about him at WR/running a Wildcat.
It would suck to see him on another team but If they lose Barkley they will obviously replace him in the draft or Free agency ... both are very deep for RBs this year.
Were you for or againts drafting him ... how much per year would you be willing to go for Saquan??

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Giants QB Daniel Jones is asking for $45 million per year.

Jones switched agents ahead of free agency, a sign talks with the Giants aren't going as expected. The Giants hoped to keep Jones on a deal closer to $35 million, putting Jones slightly above the franchise tag, which is set at $32 million for 2023. $45 million annually would make Jones the sixth-highest paid quarterback but will be quickly passed with Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts up for extensions. The Giants have until the March 7 franchise tag deadline to extend Jones.
That demand gets four 8lmao8.gif 8lmao8.gif 8lmao8.gif 8lmao8.gif

For people who aren't aware of the Giants cap situation, that's basically the Giants' whole cap space. Still want Daniel back now?

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Giants QB Daniel Jones is asking for $45 million per year.

Jones switched agents ahead of free agency, a sign talks with the Giants aren't going as expected. The Giants hoped to keep Jones on a deal closer to $35 million, putting Jones slightly above the franchise tag, which is set at $32 million for 2023. $45 million annually would make Jones the sixth-highest paid quarterback but will be quickly passed with Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts up for extensions. The Giants have until the March 7 franchise tag deadline to extend Jones.
That demand gets four View attachment 3483 View attachment 3484 View attachment 3485 View attachment 3486

For people who aren't aware of the Giants cap situation, that's basically the Giants' whole cap space. Still want Daniel back now?
People who are aware of how contracts work know that is not how it how it works so of course we still want him back. Do you have a better plan that Schoen an Daboll are not aware of?

The Athletic's Charlotte Carroll: Giants roster review: Which position groups are most and least stable?
With free agency and the 2023 NFL Draft looming and the NFL Scouting Combine about to begin, The Athletic is all in on roster construction. We created an NFL Roster Evaluation Model and published a series of stories last week assessing each team’s position group strength and stability.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Giants — a team that not only won nine games but scored a wild-card victory as well — ranked 29th overall in the roster analysis project. Twenty-ninth. As in fourth from the bottom. Was 2022 really that much of an aberration?

It’s definitely fair to suggest New York overachieved in its first year of a rebuild under head coach Brian Daboll. The talent on the roster never really seemed to align with the team’s success, which is a testament to Daboll and his staff for navigating both a lack of overall talent and a myriad of injuries while helping their players find ways to win.

Still, No. 29 feels especially harsh.

But as the project points out, this isn’t a power ranking, but rather a tool to compare a team’s need to upgrade positions to other teams in the league as well as how a given position need relates to other positions on the same roster. Lots of factors went into these position rankings, including depth, injury history, production, contract status and more.

For the Giants, with numerous free agents looming and plenty of holes to plug, that context is important.

So we’ll break it down by position. Included is each position group’s ranking from most stable to least in the league. The model also evaluated the team priority level — or the emphasis a team is likely to place on upgrading the position in free agency and the draft compared to other positions on its roster. This is ranked from 1-10, with 1 being the lowest priority and 10 being the highest.

Offense

Quarterback
League rank: 13th
Team priority: 1/10

This ranking assumes Daniel Jones will be the Giants’ quarterback next season (and barring something unforeseen, that will be the case). Jones took a big step forward in 2022, especially in the second half when the Giants passing game blossomed. The question is: Can he keep on that trajectory? There’s a lot of nuance to that answer but given the Giants’ desire to bring him back, you have to think their answer is yes. The coaching staff put him in a position to succeed, and there’s no reason not to expect the same in 2023, with the caveat that he’s surrounded by an improved supporting cast, particularly at wide receivers and on the offensive line. A long-term deal, which would lower his cap hit this year, would certainly help the Giants do that. However, if Jones has to be franchise tagged, that could place him in another prove-it season with another so-so supporting cast, which is not ideal for anyone.

We should also add that Tyrod Taylor is a proven veteran backup, adding to the quarterback room’s depth.

Running back
League rank: 25th
Team priority: 3/10

Uncertainty colors this ranking, which hinges on where things stand with Saquon Barkley’s contract negotiations. If he’s back on a long-term deal, this ranking shoots up. If he walks, well, it’s hard to believe the Giants would find a better back than Barkley, who carried the Giants’ offense through much of the first half of the year.

Beyond Barkley, the cupboard is mostly bare with capable veteran Matt Breida headed to free agency. This position ranking will see more clarity in the coming weeks but could, for that very reason, become a higher priority if Barkley doesn’t return. It should be mentioned that if Barkley is franchise tagged, the ranking may not change much, since that solution really only resolves the running back room for the upcoming season.

Wide receiver

OK, agree with the Giants’ wide receiver ranking in the league-wide sense. Disagree on how much of a priority it is for New York. The urgency for wide receiver is high — with many believing the team should use its top pick on one. Yes, there are a lot of holes to patch for the Giants, but the receiver is one of the most glaring needs, especially with the importance of setting up Jones for success.

Wan’Dale Robinson (torn ACL) and midseason waiver claim Isaiah Hodgins are the only notable receivers set to return. While they’re definitely talented, it’s imperative the Giants build up the room. This position group can only trend up, but that requires significant investment in some form this offseason.

Tight end

Rookie Daniel Bellinger enjoyed a solid debut season, even after his eye injury, as the Giants’ top tight end. The ranking sort of reflects this, with Bellinger off to a good start but certainly had room to grow.

Perhaps Bellinger takes a step forward next season and carries this ranking upward. Or maybe the Giants, who like their heavy personnel packages, put a big emphasis on this position in the draft and add another player with upside. Daboll and offensive coordinator Mike Kafka are very good at playing to the strengths of their players. So if a dynamic tight end appeals to them in the draft, you’ll likely see this position take on an even bigger role in the Giants’ versatile offense, and this ranking should rise.

Offensive line
League rank: 29th
Team priority: 8/10

This ranking might seem harsh at first glance, given Andrew Thomas’ All-Pro season at left tackle. But there are lots of questions beyond him. Evan Neal is locked in at right tackle, but can he improve on a rocky rookie season like Thomas once did? Center and left guard are question marks, too, with both Nick Gates and Jon Feliciano being free agents. Ben Bredeson, who rotated at left guard with Gates, has one more year on his deal, and starting right guard Mark Glowinski suffered through an up-and-down season and has little guaranteed money left on his deal after 2023. So there are not a lot of longer-term answers, hence the need to continue upgrading. If the Giants want to make the most of Jones and improve his play from the pocket, it’s imperative they have the pieces to protect him.

part 2:

Defense
EDGE
League rank: 30th
Team priority: 9/10

All things considered, the Giants’ edge group is far better than this ranking indicates and would probably be higher if injuries didn’t hamper this season. The Giants’ young edge duo of Azeez Ojulari and Kayvon Thibodeaux has the potential to be one of the league’s best.

But Ojulari only played seven games in 2022, and Thibodeaux didn’t stack those crazy sack numbers fans wanted from the No. 5 overall pick. However, Ojulari was a terror when he did play (5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles) while Thibodeaux’s underlying stats were far better than his sack total (4.0) indicated. It’s also important to remember that in defensive coordinator Wink Martindale’s system, Thibodeaux had more responsibilities than just chasing quarterbacks. Make no mistake, there’s a promising future here, but the Giants need to continue adding to the position to increase the depth behind Ojulari and Thibodeaux.

Defensive line

So, I understand what the league-wide ranking is getting at: The defensive line doesn’t have a lot of depth, and it’s all about the position group’s stability. One of the core pieces is Leonard Williams, who has a monster $32 million cap hit coming in 2023. The Giants probably need to do something about that, and an extension seems plausible since they can’t probably afford to lose a player of his caliber.

The other key is All-Pro Dexter Lawrence, who is the centerpiece of the defense and has earned an extension. With both situations still unsettled, this ranking underscores how important Lawrence and Williams are. The Giants defense struggled mightily without them on the field. Martindale needs more depth on the line with the goal being able to give both players more breaks during games and not lose so much ground. If that happens, along with those extensions, this group should continue trending upward.

Linebacker
League rank: 30th
Team priority: 9/10

This might be the position ranking I agree with most. The team’s three top linebackers come playoff time were veterans signed during the season. There’s young depth with Micah McFadden and guarded optimism around Darrian Beavers (a 2022 sixth-round pick who tore his ACL and missed the season), but there needs to be more investment. The Giants’ brutal run defense (27th in yards allowed) needs to be improved. That starts at linebacker, a position in desperate need of a makeover.

Safety
League rank: 13th
Team priority: 1/10

Another solid ranking for a solid position group that has a steadying presence in Xavier McKinney, who is in line for an extension. There’s young depth in Jason Pinnock and Dane Belton (whose injury hampered a full rookie year showing). The only real question is if Julian Love will return on a new contract. This position doesn’t need to be prioritized this offseason, though that maybe means it won’t trend upward given its current standing. But that’s probably a good thing given how many other roster areas will be changing.

Cornerback
League rank: 27th
Team priority: 7/10

Another ranking that feels fair, given the future of its players. Top cornerback Adoree’ Jackson had a very good year but missed seven games due to an injury. He will have a $19 million cap hit in the final year of his contract, so his future will be interesting to watch. Fabian Moreau, the No. 2 cornerback this season, is a free agent. While there’s young depth in Aaron Robinson (who suffered ACL/MCL tears), Cor’Dale Flott and Nick McCloud, the Giants can only go upward at this position. If Jackson doesn’t return next season, there need to be clear Nos. 1 and 2 corners — meaning some offseason investment would be prudent.

So now that this is over and the Giants are inching closer to the Miami Ryan Tannehill path, no more excuses for Daniel Jones. He got paid absolutely ridiculous money for 1 year of production (ignoring his first 3 years) and now it's time for Daboll to have him actually win games on his own against average/good defenses. He got paid more money than Geno Smith and Derek Carr and basically had 2016 Tyrod Taylor production/less TDs than Davis Mills. Go out there and pass for 4500 yards/35-40 TDs without reverting back to pre-2022 Jones.

So now that this is over and the Giants are inching closer to the Miami Ryan Tannehill path, no more excuses for Daniel Jones. He got paid absolutely ridiculous money for 1 year of production (ignoring his first 3 years) and now it's time for Daboll to have him actually win games on his own against average/good defenses. He got paid more money than Geno Smith and Derek Carr and basically had 2016 Tyrod Taylor production/less TDs than Davis Mills. Go out there and pass for 4500 yards/35-40 TDs without reverting back to pre-2022 Jones.
Clearly the Giants are not paying Daniel Jones for what he has done in the past because he hasn’t done anything in the past to justify 40m per year. They must think that 2022 will be his floor moving forward.
I disagree that he had 3 years of bad production. His rookie year was not bad.

I don't like the Jones deal, but now that he and Barkley are settled and their cap numbers are known, what's next? I'm interested in seeing what they do about Lawrence and Love. Lawrence at the least needs to be extended. I've read that the safety market is pretty strong so we'll see what kind of deal Love can realistically get. I'd like to bring him back too if possible, at the right price.

I'd like to see them sign Beckham if he's healthy, and in general I think they should add a couple of good WRs on good deals. Like Juju last year with KC on a 1 year $3 million deal or something like that.

If they can afford a top of the market FA after taking care of their own players and adding quality depth at WR, I like the idea of bringing in Edmunds. He would be a significant upgrade, although l've read that the LB market is pretty strong so there should be others who will also be a significant upgrade if they can't afford Edmunds.

I hope they add a QB in the draft. IMO, until a team has a true franchise QB (I think Jones is the best they can get at this time, not a true franchise QB), they should be taking a swing at QB at some point in the draft every year. At the least it would help improve #2 QB, which can be important considering Jones has missed time with injuries and his playing style opens him up to more injuries in the future.

"The expectation for some time has been that the Giants would part ways with wide receiver Kenny Golladay this offseason and word late last month was that they’ll do it once the new league year gets underway on March 15.

Giants General Manager Joe Schoen confirmed as much during a Wednesday press conference. Schoen also indicated that the Giants will likely be “taking our medicine” this year in terms of the cap hit rather than making Golladay a post-June 1 cut to spread the hit out into next year.

That route clears $6.7 million in cap space while leaving $14.7 million in dead money on the cap. The 2023 cap savings would go up to $13.5 million if the Giants went the other route, but ripping the Band-Aid all the way off now keeps things in better shape for 2024."

I’m not interested in quick fixes to obvious problems. It was this attitude (and a stunning lack of quality talent evaluation) that got the Giants into the mess they are in. It’s going to take awhile to fix this.

I like the idea of drafting a QB, but I think OL should get addressed first. Glad they got Jones signed without resorting to tag.

I’m not interested in quick fixes to obvious problems. It was this attitude (and a stunning lack of quality talent evaluation) that got the Giants into the mess they are in. It’s going to take awhile to fix this.

I like the idea of drafting a QB, but I think OL should get addressed first. Glad they got Jones signed without resorting to tag.

I thought they had been addressing o-line recently. What else do they need?

I thought they had been addressing o-line recently. What else do they need?
Neal to improve at RT
A long term answer at C and and RG
And a LG (or for the rookie Ezudu to be the answer)

I think Yenrub nailed it. In order to be consistently competitive the play needs to better from 4 outta the 5 positions. Yes, they e been trying to improve, but the work is far from done.

Giants' Joe Schoen: 'We're not shopping for minimum players anymore'​

The best and most important thing the Giants can do now is go out a get a MLB so they dont have to worry about that in the daft
Tremaine Edwards is a freak and hasnt turned 25 yet and one of the best LBers in the NFL ...Shoen and Daboll are familiar with him but he will cost a lot but would completely change things

If the Giants cut Jones after three years, it’s $37.5 [million] a year. He will have earned $112.5m
The 4th year $47,500,000 is not guaranteed ... If they decide to keep him or renegotiate at that point then it obviously worked out well for both sides.
So this is actually well done by the Giants and right about what everyone was expecting

Giants' Joe Schoen: 'We're not shopping for minimum players anymore'​

The best and most important thing the Giants can do now is go out a get a MLB so they dont have to worry about that in the daft
Tremaine Edwards is a freak and hasnt turned 25 yet and one of the best LBers in the NFL ...Shoen and Daboll are familiar with him but he will cost a lot but would completely change things
I wonder if the Giants are going to do something to get Leonard Williams' cap number down for 2023. I'm not sure how they feel about extending him.

Like I said earlier ... I would like to see the Giants address LB through Free Agency .
After that I think the 2 most important positions that need to be addressed in the first and 2nd rounds of the Draft are ...

Center - This is a muct and we absolutely have to get 1 of these 3 studs ... (John Michael Schmitz, Luke Wypler (St. Joe's HS in Jersey) or Joe Tippmann
Corner - It's a very deep Corner draft so we could grab a starter in the first or 2nd rd

I know WR is a priority but I think less urgent than Center and Corner and I personally would prefer a Stud TE (Draft is very Deep) over a WR
After C, CB, TE and WR focus on DT, Edge depth and RB

ESPN names Tremaine Edmunds a player Giants 'must sign'​

Spotrac has Edmunds MV at $11mm and 4/44 contract. Have read the Steelers may be looking at him. edit: imo he will probably get more than that.

They have TJ Edwards at ~12mm and 4/48, can't believe Eagles got him undrafted in 2019. We need some of that around here.

Last edited:

ESPN names Tremaine Edmunds a player Giants 'must sign'​

Spotrac has Edmunds MV at $11mm and 4/44 contract. Have read the Steelers may be looking at him. edit: imo he will probably get more than that.

They have TJ Edwards at ~12mm and 4/48, can't believe Eagles got him undrafted in 2019. We need some of that around here.
Yeah I agree he's going to get more than that.
It's amazing that the Eagles got TJ Edwards as an undrafted free agent ... he's actually been the more productive player but until this year hasnt played nearly as many snaps as Edmunds
I would take either of these guys ...whoever Wink thinks fits the def scheme better.
The Giants are obviously more familiar with Edmunds and they've mentioned multiple times how imprtant that is to them so I think they would lean that way

"The Giants have $14.4M in cap space according to the NFLPA after the Jones and Davis signings and the Saquon tag (it counts on the cap as soon it's applied). They'll create another ~$6M when Golladay is released on Wednesday.

That's plenty of room, especially with avenues to create more space (extensions for Saquon and Dexter Lawrence, *something* with Leonard Williams' contract)."

Users who are viewing this thread