What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (3 Viewers)

trying to hold off on all off-season discussions because man, do we have a bunch of fun stuff to discuss with the draft picks and amount of free agents, and cap space.

but a simple one i see, is who would we rather have, Miles or Tony Pollard. Pollard is predicted out with a 3-4 month recovery. he can probably be signed cheaper if he hits free agency, and Gainwell and prob some rookie can be the RB to start the season. If cheaper, might be the better way to go. i do like Miles as a player and a person, but would hate to pay a bunch there. hope he gets a big paycheck somewhere

I think Miles is going to be in a strange position as far as salary goes. According to overthecap.com there are 8 RBs with an avg. annual salary of $12 million or more. I don't see any way that he could ask or expect to join that group. After that group the highest avg. annual salary is about $7 million. Seems odd that there is such a gap between the top 8 and the rest. Will he be able to get get a spot in that gap or will he be expected to just move near the top of the guys below the top 8? If Josh Jacobs signs a new contract that might help establish what Miles should expect, but otherwise I'm not sure there is any precedent for him to expect more than an avg. of $7 million per year with about half of the total contract guaranteed.

Najee Harris and Etienne have fully guaranteed contracts with avg. annual salaries around $3.2 million, so you would figure that Bijan would come in around that amount too, maybe a little higher. If Miles is looking at around $7 million and a rookie is going to get around $3.5 million, there isn't really a lot of cap space saved by drafting the rookie.

also would love to table all of this talk for off-season, but really wonder what kind of number Hurts gets in his contract going forward. i see Daniel Jones at a possible $30 million a year, no doubt Hurts will be way above that if it is true.

either way, I never though Howie could get the Eagles off of the Wentz contract, so i am happy with whatever they give Jalen. i have no reason to think he will become apathetic or stop to grow, but if for some very odd reason he does i think Howie can ensure we aren't in cap hell for years

This is one of the problems of not drafting a player in the 1st round creates. You don't get the extra 5th year. This was the first year Hurts has done anything considered good. Would've been nice if we had the extra year just to see if it's for real as I've said his whole career has been very inconsistent. Hopefully its a contract if something happens they can get out of it fast though.

Interesting I was reading twitter today and I saw comments about Prescott. You got the DAL fans who say maybe its time to move on from DAK or he's not that great to the fans who. say he has zero weapons which I consider funny. I forget which analyst said it but they said DAK falls into the Kurt Cousin's category. He's not gonna be a guy who's gonna carry the team but he needs guys around him built to win. DAL has some of that already IMHO just need one more WR I think and sore up the OL and RB. DAL is also paying DAK huge money. It He struggled a bit first few seasons then success but lead the league in INT's despite missing like a quarter of the season.

My point is a lot of this stuff should be taken into consideration when dealing with players like Prescott Hurts etc.

trying to hold off on all off-season discussions because man, do we have a bunch of fun stuff to discuss with the draft picks and amount of free agents, and cap space.

but a simple one i see, is who would we rather have, Miles or Tony Pollard. Pollard is predicted out with a 3-4 month recovery. he can probably be signed cheaper if he hits free agency, and Gainwell and prob some rookie can be the RB to start the season. If cheaper, might be the better way to go. i do like Miles as a player and a person, but would hate to pay a bunch there. hope he gets a big paycheck somewhere

I think Miles is going to be in a strange position as far as salary goes. According to overthecap.com there are 8 RBs with an avg. annual salary of $12 million or more. I don't see any way that he could ask or expect to join that group. After that group the highest avg. annual salary is about $7 million. Seems odd that there is such a gap between the top 8 and the rest. Will he be able to get get a spot in that gap or will he be expected to just move near the top of the guys below the top 8? If Josh Jacobs signs a new contract that might help establish what Miles should expect, but otherwise I'm not sure there is any precedent for him to expect more than an avg. of $7 million per year with about half of the total contract guaranteed.

Najee Harris and Etienne have fully guaranteed contracts with avg. annual salaries around $3.2 million, so you would figure that Bijan would come in around that amount too, maybe a little higher. If Miles is looking at around $7 million and a rookie is going to get around $3.5 million, there isn't really a lot of cap space saved by drafting the rookie.
Miles and any other FA RB would be a fool not to start at $12m a year this off-season. Not saying they all get that but that is definitely the starting point when like you said the top 8 salaries are $12m+. These guys just busted their butts to get here. They ain't settling out of the gate. If Miles takes $7m it will be in like July when every other option has dried up.

also would love to table all of this talk for off-season, but really wonder what kind of number Hurts gets in his contract going forward. i see Daniel Jones at a possible $30 million a year, no doubt Hurts will be way above that if it is true.

either way, I never though Howie could get the Eagles off of the Wentz contract, so i am happy with whatever they give Jalen. i have no reason to think he will become apathetic or stop to grow, but if for some very odd reason he does i think Howie can ensure we aren't in cap hell for years
Start with Kyler Murray's contract and go up from there.

Kyler Murray doesn't even deserve that contract. If you need to put in a study clause for your QB I'm considering not playing you and looking else where at QB. Zero excuse why that dude shouldn't be prepared to play. ARZ got PR bullied by the SJW and media crowd to take that clause out of his contract. You need to hold guys accountable for their play and lack of prep not baby them. Thats the difference between todays athletes and when I was younger. Too many get coddled and babied. If I'm a coach looking for a new Job I'm crossing AZ off my list. You mean to tell me you make more $$$ per game a week then most people earn in their life time and you can't sit your *** down for 5 hours a week to study film? Cards fans and media should've been more upset the Kyler wants to spend more time playing video games then trying to make himself a better QB. ARZ is gonna end up with a Ben Simmons 76ers situation with that guy soon trust me.

Reactions: JAA

Kyler Murray doesn't even deserve that contract. If you need to put in a study clause for your QB I'm considering not playing you and looking else where at QB. Zero excuse why that dude shouldn't be prepared to play. ARZ got PR bullied by the SJW and media crowd to take that clause out of his contract. You need to hold guys accountable for their play and lack of prep not baby them. Thats the difference between todays athletes and when I was younger. Too many get coddled and babied. If I'm a coach looking for a new Job I'm crossing AZ off my list. You mean to tell me you make more $$$ per game a week then most people earn in their life time and you can't sit your *** down for 5 hours a week to study film? Cards fans and media should've been more upset the Kyler wants to spend more time playing video games then trying to make himself a better QB. ARZ is gonna end up with a Ben Simmons 76ers situation with that guy soon trust me.
Like it or not, that's the market value. And Hurts is much better than Murray.

ETA: Since week 8 of last season, the Eagles are 20-3 in games Hurts has played. And they're winning because of him, not just with him.

This game is like a battle of 2 world-class lines both offense and defense. The 49ers may have better talent individually but as a collective whole, the Eagles O-line and D-line are insanely good. Possibly the best in Eagles history.

I expect Bosa to test Johnson first and then Mailata. Warner shot the gap against the Cowboys frequently. I don't see much of that happening against us. Someone will need to spy Hurts plus contain the edge.

We seem to be building on the RPOs and Read Options to give them new looks. All of our RBs are healthy and refreshed. I hope we pound it all day long...

Problem for us is SF is very athletic on the front 7. They got guys who can spy Hurts and move well enough to contain. They might have the best Football IQ LBs in the game too.

We need to sign Hurts so probably shouldn't go spending much money on an RB. If RB is that important to you, take Bijan with one of those two 1st rounders. There are some other good RBs coming out that can be had later too. Just get somebody cheap and reasonably productive.

They aren't signing Sanders to what he wants. Anyone who thinks we should sign Miles at all cost doesn't understand economics and football factors in the NFL. You don't pay for RBs. Kenny G with Scott and a rookie will be fine as this draft is loaded at RB. We got a possible QB to extend, Both our LBs are on their final years, CJGJ to resign, maybe resign Bradberry if he comes back cheap plus a ton of others to extend or sign soon. Pretty soon we need a new deal for guys coming off rookie deals.

ETA: Since week 8 of last season, the Eagles are 20-3 in games Hurts has played. And they're winning because of him, not just with him.

Trust me some might be surprised but I'd take Hurts over Murray. Teams are just stupid to be signing guys like Murray or a guy Like Lamar to huge deals. It's just very unfortunate and sucks for everyone else that theres idiots in this league who drive up the market price because of stupid decisions like overpaying guys they shouldn't.

Trust me some might be surprised but I'd take Hurts over Murray. Teams are just stupid to be signing guys like Murray or a guy Like Lamar to huge deals. It's just very unfortunate and sucks for everyone else that theres idiots in this league who drive up the market price because of stupid decisions like overpaying guys they shouldn't.
Right or wrong, the top 9 QBs all make over $40m a year now (remember when Carson got $25/yr). Hurts is not settling for less than any of those.

Miles and any other FA RB would be a fool not to start at $12m a year this off-season. Not saying they all get that but that is definitely the starting point when like you said the top 8 salaries are $12m+. These guys just busted their butts to get here. They ain't settling out of the gate. If Miles takes $7m it will be in like July when every other option has dried up.

Sure, they can start at $12 million avg. but I'd be shocked if Miles and his agent expect to get that or more. I don't see how any team would consider paying him the same amount as Mixon, Chubb, A. Jones, Henry or D. Cook. He hasn't had the production they've had, he's had some durability problems, and he isn't used in the passing game enough to add anything to that part of the offense. I'm not sure he will end up settling for $7 million on avg., but I don't see any way he gets close to $12 million a year and I don't think it will take long to find that out once free agency starts.

I think this makes sense. Let him hit FA and if he gets 12m, he deserves it. I just dont see it.

I can see Howie locking up Jalen for 5 years with fully guaranteed contract. This isn't like a Watson, Murray, or even Kirk Cousins/Russell Wilson. Hurts has everything in front of him and all signs point to him being a standup competitor. There are just not many more barometers you can ask for.

I can see Howie locking up Jalen for 5 years with fully guaranteed contract. This isn't like a Watson, Murray, or even Kirk Cousins/Russell Wilson. Hurts has everything in front of him and all signs point to him being a standup competitor. There are just not many more barometers you can ask for.
i kind of see this too. with it getting more expensive near the end, but it allows the front office some flexibility with a longer contract to give bonuses, etc. and allows the team to be more cap flexible

How Spotrac sees his market value:

Market Value​

• 6 yrs, $265,639,026
  • Avg. Salary: $44,273,171
  • NFL Rank: 6
  • QB Rank: 6

Market Value​

• 6 yrs, $265,639,026
also from spotrac:

The Final Four #NFL Quarterbacks of 2022

Patrick Mahomes, $45M
Joe Burrow, $9M
Jalen Hurts, $1.5M
Brock Purdy, $934k

Market Value​

• 6 yrs, $265,639,026
Wow

ETA I must be reading this wrong but they have him at a higher value than Herbert and Burrow. Herbert I can see an argument but Burrow? Hmmmm

also from spotrac:

Patrick Mahomes, $45M
Joe Burrow, $9M
Jalen Hurts, $1.5M
Brock Purdy, $934k
was looking at the QB salaries from the 2020 draft, it's a great comp between Burrow and Hurts. These are all their rookie contract total values, so strictly tied to where they were drafted:

Burrow (1) 36.2M
Tua (5) 30.3M
Herbert (6) 26.6M
Love (26) 12.4M
Hurts (53) 6.0M

Hurts earned his big payday. Minus Love, four great QB's so far in their respective careers and it seems all four are on par with each other. I'd have a hard time ranking them on pure individual skills. Tua's injury makes him a question mark for his next contract, but Burrow, Herbert and Hurts are clearly the next gen elites as of this year along with Allen, Mahommes, and Jackson. We'll see what happens with Tua and Watson.

Wow

ETA I must be reading this wrong but they have him at a higher value than Herbert and Burrow. Herbert I can see an argument but Burrow? Hmmmm
As a stat nerd, if there was such a stat, i'd bet Hurts contributes more to each point scored on the Eagles team than Burrow does for the Bengals. He's playing with a pair of one's at receiver and I'd put both Mixon and Perine above our backs. so a pure value analysis would say Hurts is worth more to our franchise than Burrow is to theirs. :geek:

Love Miles, but he hasn't earned top 8-10 money. He's missed significant time every year but one, and while this was a pro bowl caliber year, he's a long way from All Pro. If we could sign him in the 7- 9 M range, that would work. If not, wish him luck and draft another.

Wow

As a stat nerd, if there was such a stat, i'd bet Hurts contributes more to each point scored on the Eagles team than Burrow does for the Bengals. He's playing with a pair of one's at receiver and I'd put both Mixon and Perine above our backs. so a pure value analysis would say Hurts is worth more to our franchise than Burrow is to theirs. :geek:
I think their playmakers are pretty comparable (when you add TE into the equation). However, Hurts has a far superior line. All things equal, Burrow is the best QB in football IMO (barely ahead of Mahomes).

Love Miles, but he hasn't earned top 8-10 money. He's missed significant time every year but one, and while this was a pro bowl caliber year, he's a long way from All Pro. If we could sign him in the 7- 9 M range, that would work. If not, wish him luck and draft another.
It's not about earning it. He's done well and is ready to get paid. He's not settling when guys like Zeke, Cook and Aaron Jones are all getting that kind of money. He knows he's better than them now.

Wow

Eh, I'd give Burrow the nod just for doing it in back to back years now.

Woke up this morning thinking why can't we stack the box against the 49ers?

7 or 8 in the box gap blitzing/stunts with a wide 9 to contain Purdy's rollouts. Is Purdy capable of exploiting an old-school 46 defense?

Not that these things matter but Nick Siriani not in the finalists for Coach of the year. Reddick not a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year. BG not a finalist for comeback player of the year. An extra chip for these guys perhaps. Not that they needed it.

Not that these things matter but Nick Siriani not in the finalists for Coach of the year. Reddick not a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year. BG not a finalist for comeback player of the year. An extra chip for these guys perhaps. Not that they needed it.
Nick taking over a 4-11 team and in two years turning them into, arguably the best team in the league, not even being in the running for coach of the year is a travesty. In the two meaningful games that Sirriani played against Daboll he beat seven shades of **** out of him. ****ing ridiculous.

BG and Reddick being snubbed are also insane. BG coming off an injury that typically would end the career of someone his age, returns and has by far his best year. Like, isn't the definition of comeback? Reddick finished with 17.5 sacks, one behind Bosa-a guy who unilaterally considered to be THE best defensive player in the league by far. Leaving him out is less offensive than the other two but still absurd.

Hadn't had a chance to chime in, had to go back to the East Coast to visit my Mom who was sick. She is ok for now, but that allowed me to watch Playoff Football, at least the Eagles/Giants game with the Triumvirate of Cowboys fan family members (2 of 3 who have still yet to visit TX). Man that was fun! They weren't happy watching 38-7 but haha, what a time!

So for the Niners, as great as their defense is, a couple things

1. Their schedule is weak as hell. "Who have they played?" Seems a valid question. Mahomes and Stidham sure lit them up.
2. Nick Bosa is DPOY. Other than him at 18.5 sacks, the next highest sack leaders are 5, 4.5, 3 and 2. Compare that to the Eagles with the 4 11+ sack guys and Cox at 5th with 7. Bosa scares me but not the defensive line.
3. Their secondary is not great. They give up a lot of yards and are very suspect to the deep ball.

And on 49ers offense, I just feel we are the team to turn Purdy into the eventual proverbial pumpkin. He makes a few weird/unorthodox plays each game. We will need to make him pay when he does that. I second Maggot Brain's thoughts and think we get to him, quite often and we get at least a pick 6.

Final Score prediction: 31-20 Eagles.

NFL Honors: Finalists announced for MVP, other awards from 2022 season

AP Coach of the Year

• Brian Daboll, Giants
  • Sean McDermott, Bills
  • Doug Pederson, Jaguars
  • Kyle Shanahan, 49ers
  • Nick Sirianni, Eagles
There we go. Sports radio reported he wasn't on the list. So that makes sense.
I definitely don't think he's a top 3 coach in the league, but based on the criteria they usually give it out on (record improvement over predicted record), he's gotta be in the top 3.

Weird this shows he isn't a finalist

As does this

Wow

Who are you taking in a must win game for your life?

AP Coach of the Year

• Brian Daboll, Giants
  • Sean McDermott, Bills
  • Doug Pederson, Jaguars
  • Kyle Shanahan, 49ers
  • Nick Sirianni, Eagles
Very strange that they report this and ESPN reports otherwise.

AP Coach of the Year

• Brian Daboll, Giants
  • Sean McDermott, Bills
  • Doug Pederson, Jaguars
  • Kyle Shanahan, 49ers
  • Nick Sirianni, Eagles

Not sure but the ones who leave him off only list 3, NFL.com lists 5.

:shrug:

Wow

Spotrac shows their methodology for calculating market value. Its in the link I posted.

But for one game, I dunno. I kinda like the QB who's 15-1. But that's just me.

Wow

Burrow. He a bad man.

AP Coach of the Year

• Brian Daboll, Giants
  • Sean McDermott, Bills
  • Doug Pederson, Jaguars
  • Kyle Shanahan, 49ers
  • Nick Sirianni, Eagles

Not sure but the ones who leave him off only list 3, NFL.com lists 5.

:shrug:
it's a weird year for coach of the year, because i think there are a few quality candidates. i think McDermott being on there is a silly joke, but i would shout out Pete Carroll too for getting the Seahawks in the playoffs after their off-season. my pick would like be Doug though, but i do think multiple coaches have a legit argument for it.

with comeback player of the year, i think BG should have got at least on the list. i think CMC may deserve it, but who knows, BG came back from a nasty injury and did great. i think this one is a win overall for the Eagles though because i am sure BG will take that as a slight and if he needs any more motivation that may help

i think biggest robbery is no Reddick for DPOY. the guy is competing against other DL for those sacks, and has been a monster causing turnovers, etc. joke that he wasn't even on finalist list

Wow

Right now I'd take Burrow and it's actually not close. Hopefully that opinion will change over the next season or two. Great question, but very different angle than saying Burrow's value to his team is not as high as Hurts' value to his, I think.

Wow

Right now I'd take Burrow and it's actually not close. Hopefully that opinion will change over the next season or two. Great question, but very different angle than saying Burrow's value to his team is not as high as Hurts' value to his, I think.
Yep, different angle for sure. Just wondered what everyone’s choice would be

Wow

Spotrac shows their methodology for calculating market value. Its in the link I posted.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion

Wow

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion
Homer pick for sure, but the two of them are very close. I don't see much in their 2022 stats that separates them. Hurts actually has the better record and the better QB rating. But I know Burrow is more highly regarded.

Wow

I'd take Burrow too. Still though,there isn't 10 other QB's Id rather in the league and a top 10 qb in the 2nd round is fantastic.

Wow

I'd take Burrow too. Still though,there isn't 10 other QB's Id rather in the league and a top 10 qb in the 2nd round is fantastic.

sigh…

also from spotrac:

Patrick Mahomes, $45M
Joe Burrow, $9M
Jalen Hurts, $1.5M
Brock Purdy, $934k
was looking at the QB salaries from the 2020 draft, it's a great comp between Burrow and Hurts. These are all their rookie contract total values, so strictly tied to where they were drafted:

Burrow (1) 36.2M
Tua (5) 30.3M
Herbert (6) 26.6M
Love (26) 12.4M
Hurts (53) 6.0M

Hurts earned his big payday. Minus Love, four great QB's so far in their respective careers and it seems all four are on par with each other. I'd have a hard time ranking them on pure individual skills. Tua's injury makes him a question mark for his next contract, but Burrow, Herbert and Hurts are clearly the next gen elites as of this year along with Allen, Mahommes, and Jackson. We'll see what happens with Tua and Watson.

Herbert would be Mahomes level if his OC wasn't an idiot. JH is just too nice and should've went rogue ALA Rodgers on play calling. A lot of people have said the offense was being held back with the play calling.

Wow

I take everything in account I like the stats but they don't always tell the whole story either.

Wow

I'm taking Joe Burrow. This weeks game scares me. We're being projected favorites by everyone at home vs a QB3. History is never on our Side in these games

My award winners ranked by numbers BOLD is added player or coach

AP Most Valuable Player

AP Defensive Player of the Year

AP Offensive Player of the Year

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year

AP Comeback Player of the Year

AP Coach of the Year

• Brian Daboll, Giants 3
  • Sean McDermott, Bills 6
  • Doug Pederson, Jaguars 2
  • Kyle Shanahan, 49ers 5