What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (2 Viewers)

Eagles reportedly are "really asking" Gannon to stay as DC. Great.
Ugh. Just our luck. Gannon stays and has less talent this year, Steichen leaves.

I am doing another 180 on Gannon. I hated his scheme thru most of the year, then thought you can;t argue with the stats and results. Now, after the Superb Owl, I hate his scheme again and want him gone. I'm getting vertigo from this guy.
Who?

Eagles reportedly are "really asking" Gannon to stay as DC. Great.
Ugh. Just our luck. Gannon stays and has less talent this year, Steichen leaves.

I am doing another 180 on Gannon. I hated his scheme thru most of the year, then thought you can;t argue with the stats and results. Now, after the Superb Owl, I hate his scheme again and want him gone. I'm getting vertigo from this guy.
Who?
That's Gannon's college nickname.

Says something about the interview process for coaches that a guy AZ never got an "approved" minute to interview him before yesterday gets the job less than 24 hours later (and AZ had already told all their other candidates they were out over the weekend.)

NFL owners out here hiring coaches like I shop on Amazon.

Is there an in-house replacement for DC? Thought I remember a name, but still too numb from Sunday to look it up. Or think they'll look outside the team?

But congrats Djax and KC fans on the win
I’m not sure why you would ever call anyone a troll. I think you have a lil thing for him actually.

And before you type it, I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone a troll
"All I wanna do is talk football"
The dude has made maybe 1 post (out of his 100 in here this year) about football. Let's see how long it takes for him troll the new thread. Hopefully he can contain himself.

But congrats Djax and KC fans on the win
I’m not sure why you would ever call anyone a troll. I think you have a lil thing for him actually.

And before you type it, I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone a troll
"All I wanna do is talk football"
I’ve never typed that phrase. Link?
Oh my b I get the 2 Cowboys fans that come into the Eagles thread every single day disguised to talk football but troll everyone instead confused. Was the other guy. Guess it was the other guy that said that.

Have to leave this (from Sheil Kapadia) behind in 2022 thread, and not stink up 2023:

In the 400 Eagles games played since 2000, the SB57 defensive performance was:

391st in EPA per drive (Expected Points Added is the effect each play has on the offense's likelihood to score)

395th in success rate (percentage of series that produce a 1st down or TD)

So bottom 10 and bottom 6 over the last 23 years. Years that included 4 win seasons and seasons with Juan Castillo and Jim Washburn coaching the defense.

Have to leave this (from Sheil Kapadia) behind in 2022 thread, and not stink up 2023:

391st in EPA per drive (Expected Points Added is the effect each play has on the offense's likelihood to score)

So bottom 10 and bottom 6 over the last 23 years. Years that included 4 win seasons and seasons with Juan Castillo and Jim Washburn coaching the defense.
to be fair to Gannon, Mahones is a pretty good QB. all that said, happy to try something else. hoping it is similar with some wrinkles

to be fair to Gannon, Mahones is a pretty good QB. all that said, happy to try something else. hoping it is similar with some wrinkles
True, but in the other 19 games KC played this season (most of them with a 100% healthy Mahomes), they didn't score 35+ in 16 of them (or 28+ in 11 of them, if you take out the Hurts fumble TD).

Your offense scoring 35 points, even against the vaunted KC/Mahomes, is something you can't squander at the absolute worst time with a historically bad defensive performance.

True, but in the other 19 games KC played this season (most of them with a 100% healthy Mahomes), they didn't score 35+ in 16 of them (or 28+ in 11 of them, if you take out the Hurts fumble TD).

Your offense scoring 35 points, even against the vaunted KC/Mahomes, is something you can't squander at the absolute worst time with a historically bad defensive performance.
And Special Teams. Let's not forget the ST.

Just needed one measly stop in the second half and couldn't do it. Receivers were crazy wide open and couldn't stop the run. Not a good recipe for success.

I think the biggest thing being overlooked in how bad we got schooled in the second half is the amount of pre-snap motion KC switched to, or more specially WHY they did it. Their coaching staff (correctly) identified the field conditions and deliberately went with plays that would put the defense at a disadvantage by treating it like a snow game. In snowy conditions, the person that knows where they are going has the clear advantage over the person that doesn't. Going in motion and doubling back at the last second gives the route runner an extra second or two as the defender has to adjust mid-movement and footing comes into play. The player on offense knows they will be cutting or turning and can be in more control. Some quotes from players on playing in the snow, from this article:

"The snow does favor the offense because we're the ones who know where we're going and the defense is very reactionary. And when their footing is bad, they don't move as fast we do," Schwartz said.

"I think it's typically to the offensive advantage if you know where you're going when the field is a little bit slippery, whether it's rainy or cold, or frozen even," Daniels said. "It's less of a reactionary movement, where I think there's more slipping when you're just kind of reacting to someone else moving or cutting somewhere."

KC already does a lot of motion, with 65% of snaps on average going into the game. But in SB57 they did it 78% of the time, and were above 80% in the 2nd half. Not sure what the defensive counter to that is (e.g. how should a defense play when the field is snowy/slippery), but beyond a few guys changing their cleats, I don't think we tried to make any adjustments and depended on the scheme and plan we went into the game with and hoped the players could power through the conditions.
while I understand the reasons behind this take, I just saw an interview with Mahomes explaining how/why KC did what they did.....it really has nothing to do with bad footing...

basically he said the coaching staff saw how PHI consistently "passed off" guys that went in motion.....so in order to counteract this and try to take advantage of it.....they put a guy in motion one way and then right after they felt PHI "passed the guy off" to someone else, they had him double back back the other way and immediately snapped the ball creating some instant confusion.....and wide open in the flats....it was preparation, film study, and execution.....not bad footing...

Users who are viewing this thread