What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers
The Holiday Bowl sues the PAC-12 over the 2021 game.

SAN DIEGO – The Holiday Bowl has filed a lawsuit against the Pac-12 Conference and the regents of the University of California, claiming more than $3 million in damages after UCLA backed out of its scheduled appearance in the game a few hours before kickoff against North Carolina State in 2021.

The San Diego nonprofit association that runs the game said in its complaint filed Tuesday evening that it suffered losses of more than $7.8 million because the game was canceled when UCLA suffered a number of COVID-19 issues after arriving in San Diego that December, including more than $3.6 million in forfeited ticket revenue.
go
The San Diego County Credit Union also demanded that its $1.4 million title sponsorship be returned or credited against the game in 2022, depriving the game's operator of that revenue, too, according to the complaint filed by the San Diego Bowl Game Association.

Last edited:
SEC sticking with 8 conference games but moving to no divisions for the 2024 season. If they don’t go to 9 after that it will be beyond idiotic

From what I have seen/heard on Fitzgerald, I hope that at worst this is a case of monumentally blind ignorance. Hate to think he knew/sponsored these behaviors if they occurred as described.

I would say to wait until the facts come out about Fitzgerald and his role/knowledge of the behavior.

The thing about hazing is that you just don't do it. Different people interpret coerced acts differently, and the coercion paves the way for some awful stuff that seems to some participants like a joke to be exactly the opposite.

I'm hoping that's what happened here. I'm hoping it's not ritualized and condoned sexual assault and battery or nods to sexual assault and battery.

How ugly it seems to the ear like mine that doesn't know all the facts. Just sounds terrible.

Can't have it. Micah Parsons and Yetur Gross-Matos were implicated in something like this at Penn State and it went away, but every time I think of Parsons I think of that. It's a stain and a cancer, and rightfully so.

Kind of interesting how times have changed. I haven't looked into it to see if there are also scholarship reductions, etc. If all the NCAA is going to do is levy a fine, I guess schools will just write a check. Fair since this involved former coaches. SMU died for these sins.

With NIL, scholarship reductions seem pretty meaningless.
Maybe the NCAA knows this? But then again, probably not. 🤣

Northwestern’s culture of hazing is so bad that if I listed them Joe would give me a timeout.
As Jim Rome just said, “Has anyone else sued Northwestern today?”

Also, how effective was it if the football team went 1-11 last year??

From what I have seen/heard on Fitzgerald, I hope that at worst this is a case of monumentally blind ignorance. Hate to think he knew/sponsored these behaviors if they occurred as described.

At this point this seems utterly impossible.

Is it possible to build a sustainable culture with a roster composed of more than 80 percent newcomers? We’ll find out in Boulder over the next couple of seasons. With the scrutiny as intense as it is at Colorado, whatever happens is bound to either become a blueprint or a cautionary tale.

“I’m a change agent,” Sanders said this spring. “Everything I touch, it has no other possibilities but to change because that’s what we do.”

You won't find a bigger Prime fan than me. Loved him from the day he was drafted, to the first game of his career, to the last pick-6.

One of the things I am always on the lookout for is hubris. I think it can cause a lot of problems. Deion has been hubris incarnate since I first laid eyes on him. But as a player, it was justified. As a coach, he has accomplished nothing at the big time level. And he's talking like he's giving his Hall of Fame speech.

BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh suspended four games to open 2023 season​

In a stunning turn of events just days before the 2023 Big Ten Media Days at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh has officially been suspended the first four games of the 2023 season. The suspension stems from penalties relating to recruiting violations and false claims Harbaugh made to investigators earlier this offseason.

In a stunning turn of events just days before the 2023 Big Ten Media Days at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh has officially been suspended the first four games of the 2023 season. The suspension stems from penalties relating to recruiting violations and false claims Harbaugh made to investigators earlier this offseason.

Allegedly

Allegedly
Is this the cheeseburger thing?

Allegedly

Allegedly.

Allegedly

Allegedly.
I mean it coulda been Grimase I guess. I think my favorite people are the internet sleuths out there on the cusp of some major epiphany that's going to take down the program for good.

Allegedly

Allegedly.
I mean it coulda been Grimase I guess. I think my favorite people are the internet sleuths out there on the cusp of some major epiphany that's going to take down the program for good.

I just don't understand the NCAA or whatever trying to crack down on coaches at this point. I feel like trying to enforce rules now is like trying to prosecute people for marijuana in states where it's legal.

Allegedly

Allegedly.

I just don't understand the NCAA or whatever trying to crack down on coaches at this point. I feel like trying to enforce rules now is like trying to prosecute people for marijuana in states where it's legal.
you and me both brother

Excited to see Colorado back in the big 12 playing traditional rivals like Oklahoma and Nebraska!
Big 12 seems a better fit for them IMO...should've never left. Plus, who's next?
According to sources, the Big 12 and commissioner Brett Yormark is now targeting the University of Arizona, which would likely mean an invitation to Arizona State University.
I could see the Big 12 taking UA for the basketball, but not ASU. I think ASU would have to ask to join. My :2cents:

I think there's going to be some blockbuster announcements coming soon....like, Oregon to the Big Ten, Washington State to the Big 12 kinda whacky stuff.

I think there's going to be some blockbuster announcements coming soon....like, Oregon to the Big Ten, Washington State to the Big 12 kinda whacky stuff.

Yeah Oregon and Washington have to be working as hard as they can to get a prom date before everyone is spoken for.

Yeah Oregon and Washington have to be working as hard as they can to get a prom date before everyone is spoken for.
Oregon is not going to get left out as they are a major brand name. I think the Big Ten is likely destination for them and Washington. Colorado is likely the necessary domino to fall first IMO.

Oregon is not going to get left out as they are a major brand name. I think the Big Ten is likely destination for them and Washington. Colorado is likely the necessary domino to fall first IMO.

I can’t believe those two weren’t in as part of the USC/UCLA move.

Guess I'm behind on NCAA news. Is the Pac-12 done as a conference, or is just shifting schools around (e.g. losing Oregon, Colorado, etc. but picking up USD, UNLV, Boise St, etc.)?

OK, I think I'm caught up. Missed that these two were going to the Big "Ten".

Now I'm wondering if, say, the SEC will ever pick up schools west of Texas.

Guess I'm behind on NCAA news. Is the Pac-12 done as a conference, or is just shifting schools around (e.g. losing Oregon, Colorado, etc. but picking up USD, UNLV, Boise St, etc.)?

PAC-12 is imploding. Also don’t have a tv deal inked yet.

Word was the BIG didn’t want them. I don’t know what the truth is or not but I wouldn’t assume there is an invite sitting there.

F.A.M.I.L.Y.

-What are we willing to put up with to have our favorite college team, whoever you root for, what are we willing to put up with, turn our heads, pretend we don't see things that are largely unacceptable in today's world?

-If Miami could ever compete for a National Title again, I'm thinking the fan base would turn their heads and look away a lot easier than the people who now run the Univ of Miami and I'm not talking about Cristobal the Head Coach.

-I doubt any Michigan fan is even mildly embarrassed that Harbaugh is suspended for 4 games.

🤷‍♂️

Word was the BIG didn’t want them. I don’t know what the truth is or not but I wouldn’t assume there is an invite sitting there.
I heard the Big 10 didn't want to have blood on its hands by taking Oregon and Washington so with Colorado leaving that opens the door for AZ, ASU, Utah to bolt to Big 12 and then Oregon and Washington more likely than not getting invited to Big 10. Should be intetesting.

I don't see a path forward for survival. The conference replaced one bad commissioner with one who is even worse. Ineffectual, overwhelmed and desperate now, George Kliavkoff can really only watch as the ship goes down. He keeps clinging on to the idea that his conference is an attractive one and that a TV deal is imminent, but he's been saying this for ever and nothing happens. "Two more weeks"....well, guy - not sure if you know how to read a calendar, but games are starting here shortly. Colorado - a school that has been an abject disaster for the Pac12 - just left you for the Big12, a conference the Pac12 looked down on just a year or so ago. Whoops.

San Diego State isn't going to change anything about the plight of the Pac12. It's not a school that has ever moved the needle and no, I don't care that SDSU went to the basketball finals this year. Football is your driver and the Aztecs are a Chevy Cobalt.

Yeah, I think Oregon and Washington are a package deal. Wash St and Oregon St are going to have to hope the Big12 takes them, otherwise it's Mountain West or bust. I could see Stanford and Cal either going independent or giving up football entirely. Sports aren't that big of a deal to either university. The Arizona schools are rarely relevant in football and I'd be surprised if the Big12 makes a push for them. Not out of the question, but Utah is a much more attractive commodity right now.

F.A.M.I.L.Y.

-What are we willing to put up with to have our favorite college team, whoever you root for, what are we willing to put up with, turn our heads, pretend we don't see things that are largely unacceptable in today's world?

-If Miami could ever compete for a National Title again, I'm thinking the fan base would turn their heads and look away a lot easier than the people who now run the Univ of Miami and I'm not talking about Cristobal the Head Coach.

-I doubt any Michigan fan is even mildly embarrassed that Harbaugh is suspended for 4 games.

🤷‍♂️

Which directional Florida school will Cristoball be coaching at in 2025?

I heard the Big 10 didn't want to have blood on its hands by taking Oregon and Washington so with Colorado leaving that opens the door for AZ, ASU, Utah to bolt to Big 12 and then Oregon and Washington more likely than not getting invited to Big 10. Should be intetesting.
I'm rather confident if Oregon and Washington were going to make the B1G any meaningful amount of cash, they'd likely not really care about "blood on their hands". If they aren't going to bring something new/different to the BTAA and/or new ability to negotiate TV deals, the B1G isn't interested.

F.A.M.I.L.Y.

🤷‍♂️

Do you remember when it was just Miami, FSU and the Gators? Seems like such a long time ago, now there's a college football program in almost every city here in Florida.
I thought 5-7 was enough to fire him but that's how low the bar is now at the Univ of Miami.
I don't think wins or losses matter any more in Coral Gables, which is why I ask what fans are willing to put up with to see their team succeed.

F.A.M.I.L.Y.

🤷‍♂️

Do you remember when it was just Miami, FSU and the Gators? Seems like such a long time ago, now there's a college football program in almost every city here in Florida.
I thought 5-7 was enough to fire him but that's how low the bar is now at the Univ of Miami.
I don't think wins or losses matter any more in Coral Gables, which is why I ask what fans are willing to put up with to see their team succeed.

I mean, they weren't staffed by Boy Scouts back when they were good, so......

I don't think Miami ever returns to relevance. The sport passed them by just like it did for Nebraska. Damn near impossible to summit the mountain again, especially when you've been so bad for so long.

I would like to know more about Colorado bolting, is that directly due to Deion Sanders being hired as the Head Coach?
I would think so but maybe they were heading out of the Pac-12 anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread