What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWAIM SHOW
https://twitter.com/GSwaim
@GSwaim

Tucsony tells us that Arizona to the #Big12 is now a "done deal" and "this will happen on or before Tuesday", which is consistent with what three others who follow Wildcats have told us. #BearDown
I found this interesting:

Everything taking so long because @Kliavkoff lies to them about this "great deal" and then keeps kicking the can down the road. #Buffs finally realized they were being lied to and now #BearDown and others beginning to see the light as well.

SWAIM SHOW
https://twitter.com/GSwaim
@GSwaim

Tucsony tells us that Arizona to the #Big12 is now a "done deal" and "this will happen on or before Tuesday", which is consistent with what three others who follow Wildcats have told us. #BearDown
I found this interesting:

Everything taking so long because @Kliavkoff lies to them about this "great deal" and then keeps kicking the can down the road. #Buffs finally realized they were being lied to and now #BearDown and others beginning to see the light as well.
Rumor around here is the Big 12 had 2 spots open at 32 million by ESPN(20m) Fox(12m) for 2 power 5 schools and they want Arizona but will move on to the next on the list. ESPN is willing to go to 20m on 2 other schools but so far Fox isn't in on their 12m part. Oregon and Washington might get Fox to move, Arizona St and Utah maybe not.

Speaking of Oregon, they outbid absolutely nobody in giving Dan Lanning a huge raise and a guaranteed contract.
F#ck the ducks
F#ck USC
F#ck UCLA
F#ck the buffs
F#ck Larry Scott
Wazzu ur cool.......I'm out!
Poor Beaver fan lol
Don't feel bad for me.......unlike duck fans, I actually went to the school I root for.......and I'll stick with em no matter what. Most duck fans I know have only been around since mariota or so
I grew up a Duck fan going to games in the 80s when they were horrid. I remember how exciting it was when they actially made a bowl game like the Independance Bowl or Freedom Bowl. Most of my friends and fellow fans are also lifelong fans but I know we have some bandwagon fans.

I'm definitely guilty of it - went to a tiny D3 school in Mississippi so I'm "that guy". But I LOVE college football, never really had a team and when my buddy talked me into season tickets 20+ years ago, I jumped at the chance.

But, now I have two kids there so I feel a little better about it. I also root for Oregon State when they aren't playing the Ducks and am happy for their recent success. Love J Smith. Love that whole storyline.

Native Oregonian who also went to a tiny college with barely any sports. I grew up rooting for both state schools, and usually for the underdog in the Civil War. My Dad went to his first Ducks home game the year after Autzen was built. I got to take him to his second Ducks home game in the Marriota Heisman season when they beat UW in a fun game. He didn't say a word the whole game, just took it all in and then chattered like a kid the entire drive home.

I have friends who are alums of either school. My son starts at OSU this fall. I'm one of the weirdos I guess, but I'll always root for both the Ducks and the Beavs.
Agreed. I don't have any hatred towards Beaver fans. I will always root for them out of conference and many conference games. In my experience this is not the case for Beaver fans, they can't stand Oregon AKA like Manster. I feel that way against Washington, Oregon State is like a little brother.
And there it is......little brother. That's why I hate the ducks. Another anecdote that adds to my dislike.....not long after my wife and I moved to Nevada back in the mid 2000's we were at a party and some of the folks there, knowing we were from OR, and having Beavs gear on, asked us why we were wearing Beavs gear and not ducks gear.....we are both OSU alum.....I mean would you ask an ASU alum why they aren't wearing ARZ gear? Would you ask a Coug alum why they aren't wearing huskie gear?

Look, the ducks got lucky having Phil knight as an alum, who literally is trying to buy a national championship before he croaks. It just seems wrong.......maybe that's why all the glitz, and glamour fall apart. How many coaches did they go thru the last few years? Maybe Lanning will be different......but it takes more than stars next to names to make a football team.

Beavs got their guy. He knows how to recruit to Corvallis.......it's his destination. He's home.

Its super frustrating that the conference seems to be falling apart though! Just as our football program is built up, and legit.

Last edited:
Speaking of Oregon, they outbid absolutely nobody in giving Dan Lanning a huge raise and a guaranteed contract.
F#ck the ducks
F#ck USC
F#ck UCLA
F#ck the buffs
F#ck Larry Scott
Poor Beaver fan lol
Don't feel bad for me.......unlike duck fans, I actually went to the school I root for.......and I'll stick with em no matter what. Most duck fans I know have only been around since mariota or so
I grew up a Duck fan going to games in the 80s when they were horrid. I remember how exciting it was when they actially made a bowl game like the Independance Bowl or Freedom Bowl. Most of my friends and fellow fans are also lifelong fans but I know we have some bandwagon fans.

I'm definitely guilty of it - went to a tiny D3 school in Mississippi so I'm "that guy". But I LOVE college football, never really had a team and when my buddy talked me into season tickets 20+ years ago, I jumped at the chance.

But, now I have two kids there so I feel a little better about it. I also root for Oregon State when they aren't playing the Ducks and am happy for their recent success. Love J Smith. Love that whole storyline.

Native Oregonian who also went to a tiny college with barely any sports. I grew up rooting for both state schools, and usually for the underdog in the Civil War. My Dad went to his first Ducks home game the year after Autzen was built. I got to take him to his second Ducks home game in the Marriota Heisman season when they beat UW in a fun game. He didn't say a word the whole game, just took it all in and then chattered like a kid the entire drive home.

I have friends who are alums of either school. My son starts at OSU this fall. I'm one of the weirdos I guess, but I'll always root for both the Ducks and the Beavs.
Agreed. I don't have any hatred towards Beaver fans. I will always root for them out of conference and many conference games. In my experience this is not the case for Beaver fans, they can't stand Oregon AKA like Manster. I feel that way against Washington, Oregon State is like a little brother.
And there it is......little brother. That's why I hate the ducks. Another anecdote that adds to my dislike.....not long after my wife and I moved to Nevada back in the mid 2000's we were at a party and some of the folks there, knowing we were from OR, and having Beavs gear on, asked us why we were wearing Beavs gear and not ducks gear.....we are both OSU alum.....I mean would you ask an ASU alum why they aren't wearing ARZ gear? Would you ask a Coug alum why they aren't wearing huskie gear?

Look, the ducks got lucky having Phil knight as an alum, who literally is trying to buy a national championship before he croaks. It just seems wrong.......maybe that's why all the glitz, and glamour fall apart. How many coaches did they go thru the last few years? Maybe Lanning will be different......but it takes more than stars next to names to make a football team.

Beavs got their guy. He knows how to recruit to Corvallis.......it's his destination. He's home.

Its super frustrating that the conference seems to be falling apart though! Just as our football program is built up, and legit.

Oregon has a 73% win percentage since 2000, has played for two title games, won the Rose Bowl thrice and has a Heisman winner. That is an incredible accomplishment for a college with next to nothing in its backyard for recruits. Having three coaches leave for greener pastures sucks, but it's part of college football. Only one coach has been fired and that guy took the Ducks to the title game before getting axed.

I get being infuriated with the "little brother" treatment but you're not being fair to Oregon at all with your comments. They have every right to be proud of their accomplishments. They have no business being this good because the kids who play HS football here are not college material for the most part. Sure you have a stud pop onto the scene occasionally but this is a state of also rans on the grid iron.

The JSmith story line is terrific. I think he's the best thing that's happened to Oregon State since he left as a player. Big expectations this year - hope they handle it. It's what big brother faces every season.....

F#ck the ducks
F#ck USC
F#ck UCLA
F#ck the buffs
F#ck Larry Scott
Poor Beaver fan lol

Oregon has a 73% win percentage since 2000, has played for two title games, won the Rose Bowl thrice and has a Heisman winner. That is an incredible accomplishment for a college with next to nothing in its backyard for recruits. Having three coaches leave for greener pastures sucks, but it's part of college football. Only one coach has been fired and that guy took the Ducks to the title game before getting axed.

I get being infuriated with the "little brother" treatment but you're not being fair to Oregon at all with your comments. They have every right to be proud of their accomplishments. They have no business being this good because the kids who play HS football here are not college material for the most part. Sure you have a stud pop onto the scene occasionally but this is a state of also rans on the grid iron.

The JSmith story line is terrific. I think he's the best thing that's happened to Oregon State since he left as a player. Big expectations this year - hope they handle it. It's what big brother faces every season.....
Nike

F#ck the ducks
F#ck USC
F#ck UCLA
F#ck the buffs
F#ck Larry Scott
Poor Beaver fan lol

Nike

Sour grapes. Under Armour is and has been a HUGE financial supporter of Maryland for a long time now. They are irrelevant in College Football. It takes more than money and uniforms to succeed.

Let's not pretend that Oregon State isn't beholden to Reser.....

Meet the man who holds the keys to the next wave of realignment. Dr. Robert Robbins (a former cardiac surgeon) is U of A's president.

Or Robbins can view Colorado as a rat jumping off a sinking ship, lose patience with Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff’s oft-delayed (and perhaps cash-poor) media rights deal and follow the Buffs to the Big 12.

To do so, UA would either have to navigate its partnership with Arizona State or bring the Sun Devils along with them (the two schools share a board of regents). If so, Utah would likely follow.
One has to wonder what kind of mental state LHUCKS is in.

I kinda feel bad for SDSU. They thought they'd be joining a big conference to gain some glitz and big games. Instead, all the big schools are leaving the Pac12. It'll be SDSU, Utah, Cal, and 'furd left.

I kinda feel bad for SDSU. They thought they'd be joining a big conference to gain some glitz and big games. Instead, all the big schools are leaving the Pac12. It'll be SDSU, Utah, Cal, and 'furd left.

I wouldn't be shocked if Cal and Stanford pulled the plug on football. Juice ain't worth the squeeze and their fans are ambivalent at best.

F#ck the ducks
F#ck USC
F#ck UCLA
F#ck the buffs
F#ck Larry Scott
Poor Beaver fan lol

Nike

Sour grapes. Under Armour is and has been a HUGE financial supporter of Maryland for a long time now. They are irrelevant in College Football. It takes more than money and uniforms to succeed.

Let's not pretend that Oregon State isn't beholden to Reser.....
Am I a little jealous? Sure, I admit that.....they have the biggest donor in the country....doesn't make the duck bandwagon any less obnoxious.

I wouldn't be shocked if Cal and Stanford pulled the plug on football. Juice ain't worth the squeeze and their fans are ambivalent at best.
Stanford is interesting to me......they are competitive, and even dominant in many sports, yet fan base is pretty meh.....Furd recruits itself though......if you are smart enough to get into Furd, you go to Furd.

I saw an article where they did some kind of study in the Pac 12......not sure how scientific, but the fanbase with the highest percentage of fans who actually went to school there? You guessed it, Stanford! Any guesses on which school was on the opposite end of the spectrum?:wink:

Stanford is interesting to me......they are competitive, and even dominant in many sports, yet fan base is pretty meh.....Furd recruits itself though......if you are smart enough to get into Furd, you go to Furd.

I saw an article where they did some kind of study in the Pac 12......not sure how scientific, but the fanbase with the highest percentage of fans who actually went to school there? You guessed it, Stanford! Any guesses on which school was on the opposite end of the spectrum?:wink:

I believe that Stanford has the most national championships of any Division 1 college. Pretty amazing for a school with less than 8,000 undergrads.

Edit: Looked it up - 134 national championships.

Man the Big 12 really is gonna be the most mediocre conference ever.

(Utah is pretty good)
They'd be a hell of a hoops conference, though. They are already the best in recent times, and they'd add Houston & Arizona? Hell, their worst team (TT?) last year was better than most of the at-large teams that made the NCAAs.

Wait — just how many teams is the Big XII adding? Or rumored to be adding? They going to twenty teams?

Details on potential media deal for P12.
20M per school and mostly streaming.
Not ideal
If that’s true then the conference is done. Everybody that can get an invite goes to the Big 12 and Oregon/UW pray to their deity that the Big 10 takes them. That sucks.
UW is already in the B1G. :confused:
You mean the other UW school who thinks they have a monopoly on those initials?

Wait — just how many teams is the Big XII adding? Or rumored to be adding? They going to twenty teams?
1-3. To get to 14 or 16. They will go to 14 for sure.
Gotcha. I've been seeing the following schools "going to the Big XII":

Colorado (confirmed, I believe)
Utah
Houston
Arizona
Arizona State
Oregon (speculatively)
U of Washington (speculatively)

And if it ever happens that the last two go ... gotta think Oregon State and Washington State are possibilities.

Man the Big 12 really is gonna be the most mediocre conference ever.

(Utah is pretty good)
They'd be a hell of a hoops conference, though. They are already the best in recent times, and they'd add Houston & Arizona? Hell, their worst team (TT?) last year was better than most of the at-large teams that made the NCAAs.
That is true. Especially if the UCONN rumors come to fruition.

1-3. To get to 14 or 16. They will go to 14 for sure.
Gotcha. I've been seeing the following schools "going to the Big XII":

Colorado (confirmed, I believe)
Utah
Houston
Arizona
Arizona State
Oregon (speculatively)
U of Washington (speculatively)

And if it ever happens that the last two go ... gotta think Oregon State and Washington State are possibilities.
Houston is already in. They came in with BYU, Cincinnati and UCF.

How long before these big conferences tell the NCAA to pound sand and bailing to form their own oversight committee/board?

I think that's one of the real issues here. USC and UCLA likely drove the highest ratings. That's probably because they are in the second largest media market in the USA. But they suffered from west coast game kickoff times. A 6:00 PM Pacific kickoff is tough to draw eyeballs when the SEC and B1G folks are finishing their 12th beer. It's even worse for any of the other schools in the pacific time zone that don't have the draw that the 2 LA schools have.

I think that's one of the real issues here. USC and UCLA likely drove the highest ratings. That's probably because they are in the second largest media market in the USA. But they suffered from west coast game kickoff times. A 6:00 PM Pacific kickoff is tough to draw eyeballs when the SEC and B1G folks are finishing their 12th beer. It's even worse for any of the other schools in the pacific time zone that don't have the draw that the 2 LA schools have.
Oregon had the highest viewership ratings in the Pac 12. USC was solid due to their market, UCLA was mediocre. Agreed on your other points, the late kickoffs due to west coast makes it hard to get great viewership.

Grew up in Texas when the Southwest Conference was still a thing. Watched Dickerson run live a few times, an amazing site to behold.

But the Pac-10 was always so....mysterious for me. Rarely got to see them on TV unless it was a marquee game and those were few and far between. Always loved how it would be sunny and warm there when it was dark and dismal in Dallas in Novemeber (little did I know what awaited me in Oregon).

So I'm with Facook, this kinda sucks for a lot of people. I'm fine with the laughter and mockery - sure had some posters evoke that sort of reaction (points to shirt).
But it's the end of an era and that's always rough for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread