What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt FSU is gone from the ACC in 10 years but what leverage do they have right now? They leave today and they lose TV money for 13 more seasons plus pay the exit fee from the conference. What incentive does the rest of the ACC have to even negotiate with them?

I have no doubt FSU is gone from the ACC in 10 years but what leverage do they have right now? They leave today and they lose TV money for 13 more seasons plus pay the exit fee from the conference. What incentive does the rest of the ACC have to even negotiate with them?
There is no incentive for the acc unless fsu can challenge it in court. That’s usually how you reach settlements.

So ACC deal is $31.6m x 13 years as things stand. About $410m over that time

Now the PAC schools moving to the B1G won't change the total for the B1G but FSU would be a front line ESPN school moving to FOX. That might (just might) be a little different.

Running with that for a moment. Let's say FSU jumped to the B1G on a full share at $80m. $560m over 7 years. If that revenue stays flat for the next 6 that is still $1.1B over that time.

So a buyout at 100% and getting their rights back for that $410m especially paid year to year would be a scenario where FSU comes out 60% ahead.

Now that is a best case for them that may not be out there. ACC/ESPN doesn't have to do that - heck they could charge FSU a premium to get their rights back. But they are a rare team where they might be able to make the numbers work. Miami and Clemson might be the other two from that conference.

The other more attractive conference schools like UVA and the research triangle schools of UNC/Duke couldn't swing that though (even if they could work out the little brother situations)

Still dubious of it but FSU threat does have a little more teeth to it.

-QG

As an addendum pretty sweet that if nothing changes my Illini will be like $600m to the good over FSU by the middle of the next decade :cool:

-QG

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy

Apple's primary media rights deal w/Pac-12 expires at end of week, sources told.
Proposal is in "low $20 million" figure per school/annually, but can fluctuate/increase based on membership size & subscription incentives, sources said.

12:38 PM · Aug 3, 2023

I've heard that if 5 schools leave the ACC at once, all existing deals are blown up.

I've heard that if 5 schools leave the ACC at once, all existing deals are blown up.
No way can that be true. If it was the acc would be gone tomorrow. Fsu Clemson unc Miami and Virginia could find homes right away.

No way can that be true. If it was the acc would be gone tomorrow. Fsu Clemson unc Miami and Virginia could find homes right away.
FSU wants out of the ACC; but who wants them?

FSU wants out of the ACC; but who wants them?
Lol yea that’s not a concern.

FSU, Clemson, Oregon and Washington rumor?? Random guys I know from over the years speculating among themselves.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that is half the rumor I've been hearing....now for Clemson and FSU and those drunkin' doofus friends of mine become savants.

All that would be left is the knockdown drag outs at Cappy's house on rivalry week when Michigan and FSU play. :lmao:
Is this your buddy? Because he was talking about Clemson and the B10 back in April...

And SI did a piece citing a tweet from a Barstool guy July 30th regarding the rumor... https://www.si.com/college/miami/football/miami-hurricanes-options-florida-state-clemson-big-10

So, you may not have to elevate your drunken friends to savant level just yet...probably not their scoop.

FSU, Clemson, Oregon and Washington rumor?? Random guys I know from over the years speculating among themselves.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that is half the rumor I've been hearing....now for Clemson and FSU and those drunkin' doofus friends of mine become savants.

All that would be left is the knockdown drag outs at Cappy's house on rivalry week when Michigan and FSU play. :lmao:
Is this your buddy? Because he was talking about Clemson and the B10 back in April...

And SI did a piece citing a tweet from a Barstool guy July 30th regarding the rumor... https://www.si.com/college/miami/football/miami-hurricanes-options-florida-state-clemson-big-10

So, you may not have to elevate your drunken friends to savant level just yet...probably not their scoop.
:thumbup:
I pay so little attention to this stuff anymore (completely shocked to hear about UCLA and USC when it happened) this makes much more sense. I'm good with them remaining drunkin' doofuses just spouting crap. That's much more in line with my reality. They were the only ones I heard talking about it, but that appears to be my lack of exposure to this conspiratorial world more than anything. I knew they weren't that smart!!

End gaming to one super conference of 20 biggest programs Premier League style quite plausible in the next 10-20 years. Though that will probably need the next money model (i.e. streaming) to shake out- that is an era where the money takes a big leap again. We aren't in that now - ESPN trimming at this point and Apple not yet jumping in with compelling enough dollars.

Clock's ticking for the mid-low runners to pull an Oregon (pre-Phil Knight they were a blip).

The only redeeming quality of such a league (and the one thought that might prevent it) will be the hilariousness of one of those big britches brands becoming a perennial 3-9 team. Would be extra funny for it to be someone like Texas.

-QG

Deathwatch back on as PAC meeting fails to get a signed GOR.

Maybe Oregon trying to get an improved offer from B1G

Machiavellian move from the B1G would be to delay until Apple offer to PAC expires and then they pull out the rug from Oregon and go back to lower offer

-QG

From another board, earlier this morning:

Here is the insanity that college football money is driving. FSU is exploring taking on investments from private equity to fund a portion of their athletic department expenses in exchange for a portion of their future media rights income. They have to be careful or FSU may lose their tax exempt status as a university.

I don't even know what leverage they think they have at this point.
Oregon is coveted by media because of their high viewership numbers. While I think they get a reduced rate and come to an agreement it has to burn them knowing schools like Rutgers are getting a full share.

Rutgers lets me see my Illini games here on NJ television. They brought a lot of carriage with them when they came to the league. The pie grew when Rutgers and Maryland came on board when they did.

With Oregon and Washington the pie doesn't really grow. At the end of the day it keeps Fox happy more than any other factor.

And besides Rutgers/Maryland had the same partial share for a number of years when they joined. So Oregon can stay mad if they like while they get a better deal than they would anywhere else

-QG

Oh wow that FSU bit about losing tax exempt status. So is the next frontier full separation of athletic departments from schools and basically licensing deals of the names of the Universities? #FSULLC

-QG

Oregon is coveted by media because of their high viewership numbers. While I think they get a reduced rate and come to an agreement it has to burn them knowing schools like Rutgers are getting a full share.
Again.....B1G is interested in new markets, not loyal viewers. Rutgers/Maryland brought HUGE markets with them. Oregon doesn't. That "viewership" means very little if those viewers are in markets the B1G already has deals in. Should also be noted that in the B1G, their shares are driven by what they bring in athletics as well as what they bring in research dollars to the BTAA. That's another way to get a larger piece of the pie.

Last edited:
A non-tax-exempt FSU might make them less attractive. At the very least and conference they would go to would have to get a full picture on whether adding them jeopardizes the tax status of the conference

-QG

Again.....B1G is interested in new markets, not loyal viewers. Rutgers/Maryland brought HUGE markets with them. Oregon doesn't. That "viewership" means very little if those viewers are in markets the B1G already has deals in. Should also be noted that in the B1G, their shares are driven by what they bring in athletics as well as what they bring in research dollars to the BTAA. That's another way to get a larger piece of the pie.
Yes but Fox cares more about viewership

Oregon State and Wazzu both are getting relegated to the trash bin it appears
I heard somewhere if Oregon and Washington go to the big 10 Fox network might not commit to paying for more then 14 teams in the Big 12. Utah and ASU might be on the outside as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread