What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they are playing too well and trying too hard? That is beyond stupid. They aren't throwing games. Lots of teams have cheated, and stole signs. Never once was Vegas or gambling involved.
Ya...not sure of that angle. We're there players/coaches involved with betting on games? Not sure how this all plays out any other way. But this firms name is making the rounds today in Twitter/X.

Come on. There is like .0001 percent chance the players and the coaches were involved in some gambling scheme. Especially posted by some random Twitter troll.
It would certainly make JJ tweeting “Bet” even more hilarious.

All the kids say that now. I have middle schoolers who have been saying bet for three years. You are reaching.
You’re missing the point. I’m not saying JJ posting that has any meaning. I’m saying that if he posted that AND these allegations were somehow true, it would be hilarious. FTR, I don’t think there is anything to the gambling “news,” but the schadenfreude from watching those pricks scramble is real.

PS- I absolutely had to look up how to spell that.

So they are playing too well and trying too hard? That is beyond stupid. They aren't throwing games. Lots of teams have cheated, and stole signs. Never once was Vegas or gambling involved.
Ya...not sure of that angle. We're there players/coaches involved with betting on games? Not sure how this all plays out any other way. But this firms name is making the rounds today in Twitter/X.

Come on. There is like .0001 percent chance the players and the coaches were involved in some gambling scheme. Especially posted by some random Twitter troll.

All the kids say that now. I have middle schoolers who have been saying bet for three years. You are reaching.
You’re missing the point. I’m not saying JJ posting that has any meaning. I’m saying that if he posted that AND these allegations were somehow true, it would be hilarious. FTR, I don’t think there is anything to the gambling “news,” but the schadenfreude from watching those pricks scramble is real.

It would be funny, but it is funny in a way that could never happen so I can't see it.

Texas A&M is basically Michigan State - a historically agricultural school overshadowed by its more successful in-state rival - except in the fertile recruiting ground of Texas, with more fans and more money. MSU won 2 Big Ten title games, a Cotton Bowl, a Rose Bowl, and went to the playoff in a 6-year span. If we can pull that off, TAMU can win national titles.

Would you not allow that the SEC has been historically harder to win than the Big10? A&M might get past Alabama but they still have LSU, Auburn, Texas, Georgia just to name a few....that's a nightmare!

I think Michigan State and their fans are far more reasonable about their expectations than A&M is. You're happy with a playoff appearance and winning 2 titles in your conference. That's fantastic! You can bask in the glory of beating OSU and Michigan in that 2015 season - that's hard to do.

A&M needs to dial back their expectations. Take it one step at a time. Get to a championship game first. Take care of business when you play Miami. Don't lose to Ole Miss. It's one thing to be close to the peak of the mountain and not making it. It's quite another when you never get past base camp.
I hear you but it’s their money and it’s virtually unlimited, so who cares? I actually think is a great opportunity for them to just hire someone that can coach, because they can turn it around immediately. The good players are already there, it’s not some crazy rebuild. I like Elko a lot and expect that’s who they’ll get.

Huh.

I'm sure there are social media sources out there suggesting that Michigan is in full meltdown/panic mode now. If anything, this incident is a pretty good illustration of what the "news" media in this country is all about these days. Clicks, clicks and more clicks....whatever you have to put out there, do it :lol:

I'm sure there are social media sources out there suggesting that Michigan is in full meltdown/panic mode now. If anything, this incident is a pretty good illustration of what the "news" media in this country is all about these days. Clicks, clicks and more clicks....whatever you have to put out there, do it :lol:

Yeah, the big ten suspended Harbaugh for the clicks.

chip Kelly rumored to be fired unless they beat usc this weekend?

I think he is gone regardless. From Stu Mandel:

When UCLA debuted at No. 19 in the CFP rankings, I never imagined I’d be writing “Chip Kelly” and “hot seat” in the same sentence just two weeks later, but the Bruins’ 17-7 home loss to Arizona State (3-7, 2-5) was that bad. Boos rained down at the Rose Bowl, and “Fire Chip” tweets were flying by game’s end. The Sun Devils, decimated by injuries, lost 55-3 to Utah just a week earlier. UCLA (6-4, 3-4 Pac-12) was down to third-string quarterback Colin Schlee, but that doesn’t excuse scoring no points until the fourth quarter. Next week, the Bruins face reeling rival USC in what suddenly feels like a must-win game for Kelly. He’s now 33-33 in six seasons and needs to inspire some confidence he’s still the guy to lead the program into the Big Ten.

Texas A&M is basically Michigan State - a historically agricultural school overshadowed by its more successful in-state rival - except in the fertile recruiting ground of Texas, with more fans and more money. MSU won 2 Big Ten title games, a Cotton Bowl, a Rose Bowl, and went to the playoff in a 6-year span. If we can pull that off, TAMU can win national titles.

Would you not allow that the SEC has been historically harder to win than the Big10? A&M might get past Alabama but they still have LSU, Auburn, Texas, Georgia just to name a few....that's a nightmare!

I think Michigan State and their fans are far more reasonable about their expectations than A&M is. You're happy with a playoff appearance and winning 2 titles in your conference. That's fantastic! You can bask in the glory of beating OSU and Michigan in that 2015 season - that's hard to do.

A&M needs to dial back their expectations. Take it one step at a time. Get to a championship game first. Take care of business when you play Miami. Don't lose to Ole Miss. It's one thing to be close to the peak of the mountain and not making it. It's quite another when you never get past base camp.
I hear you but it’s their money and it’s virtually unlimited, so who cares? I actually think is a great opportunity for them to just hire someone that can coach, because they can turn it around immediately. The good players are already there, it’s not some crazy rebuild. I like Elko a lot and expect that’s who they’ll get.

Then why aren't these good players and all this unlimited money winning now? Is the narrative now that Jimbo just can't coach and that's why they've lost 11 games in less than 2 years?

My question to you is this: The same people who hired Jimbo and gave him that ridiculous contract with ludicrous no offset provisions are the same ones who will be hiring the next coach. Right? All this unlimited oil and gas money was responsible for the desultory situation the football program is in right now.

Unlimited money isn't the answer. It hasn't been the answer for A&M to date. It's a mid program in the best conference. Even if they make a terrific hire, they still have to deal with Alabama, Georgia, LSU and now Texas and OU.

We'll all see how it plays out. I'm skeptical that unlimited money and great coaching is enough to get it done for a program that's never really been elite.

Well, no....they suspended him because the coaches/schools have an axe to grind and the new commissioner is pretty green. These "media" sources throw out all kinds of crazy **** without research because they know people want it to be true and they'll click to validate their desires.

They didn't suspend him because they have an axe to grind (although I am sure they took pleasure in suspending him). That almost sounds as crazy as someone trying to turn the sign stealing into an underground gambling ring trying to take down Vegas. Is Harbaugh really Danny Ocean?

They didn't suspend him because they have an axe to grind (although I am sure they took pleasure in suspending him). That almost sounds as crazy as someone trying to turn the sign stealing into an underground gambling ring trying to take down Vegas. Is Harbaugh really Danny Ocean?
Of course they did. Why do you think they suspended him? Because he violated the "sportsmanship" clause of the B1G bylaws?

If you read what Pettiiti stated. They did not suspend Harbaugh to punish Harbaugh, they suspended Harbaugh to punish the university and he is the face. Also states they still have "zero" evidence that Harbaugh knew anything.

It doesn't help when national media "Steven A" says Deion should leave because Colorado won't be able to get line players.
Unless he commits a horrible crime or is involved in some kind of crazy scandal, Sanders will be able to recruit nationally wherever he coaches. He doesn't need to be Texas or Florida to get really good players from those states. He'll also get his share out of the portal. Colorado is going to see a big jump in raw talent over the next couple of years.
We know Deion can make big splashes…we don’t know if he can build a machine to evaluate, recruit, and develop…thru high school recruiting and portal management. He won’t sustain talented rosters without all of it. And if he realizes he can’t or doesn’t want to commit to all of it, try the NFL.

Last edited:
Guessing Dan Campbell is going to get a raise 1 way or another from the TAMU opening. And probably a few others. Just float the name out there and he's getting an "extension."

Well, no....they suspended him because the coaches/schools have an axe to grind and the new commissioner is pretty green. These "media" sources throw out all kinds of crazy **** without research because they know people want it to be true and they'll click to validate their desires.
Actually they suspended him because Michigan cheated and in the dumbest way possible.

Then why aren't these good players and all this unlimited money winning now? Is the narrative now that Jimbo just can't coach and that's why they've lost 11 games in less than 2 years?

My question to you is this: The same people who hired Jimbo and gave him that ridiculous contract with ludicrous no offset provisions are the same ones who will be hiring the next coach. Right? All this unlimited oil and gas money was responsible for the desultory situation the football program is in right now.

Unlimited money isn't the answer. It hasn't been the answer for A&M to date. It's a mid program in the best conference. Even if they make a terrific hire, they still have to deal with Alabama, Georgia, LSU and now Texas and OU.

We'll all see how it plays out. I'm skeptical that unlimited money and great coaching is enough to get it done for a program that's never really been elite.
You’re describing Georgia prior to Kirby.

They suspended him because there is provable cheating occurring under his watch.

:lmao: JFC

If you read what Pettiiti stated. They did not suspend Harbaugh to punish Harbaugh, they suspended Harbaugh to punish the university and he is the face. Also states they still have "zero" evidence that Harbaugh knew anything.

He is in charge doesn't matter what he knows. It starts and stops with him.

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think this would have happened under Delany's watch...sorry, that's reality. I'm not saying he wouldn't get suspended ever, but the way this went down has little to do with "integrity" of the league and/or "sportsmanship". The "punishment" here should also be noted. It's pretty much the bare minimum to appease the mob.

Of course, NONE of this comment is to say Stallions didn't cheat. He did. He's been handled as he should have been. Now, that we've established this as the bar, it's time to line the others up for suspensions right?

When someone uncovers a scandal in their company, I don't think they can say, "I didn't know that was going on." They're just saying they're too dumb to do their job! And if they really are too dumb, then why are they getting paid millions of dollars to do it?

Bo Schembechler

Of course, NONE of this comment is to say Stallions didn't cheat. He did. He's been handled as he should have been. Now, that we've established this as the bar, it's time to line the others up for suspensions right?
He was literally on the sideline talking to the DC during games. lol. Please get real about this.
There is a video of Stallions barking behind Harbaugh, “that’s pressure” and then Harbaugh calls for an audible.

He was literally on the sideline talking to the DC during games. lol. Please get real about this.

There is a video of Stallions barking behind Harbaugh, “that’s pressure” and then Harbaugh calls for an audible.
I don't dispute either of these things :shrug:

When someone uncovers a scandal in their company, I don't think they can say, "I didn't know that was going on." They're just saying they're too dumb to do their job! And if they really are too dumb, then why are they getting paid millions of dollars to do it?

Bo Schembechler
I mean, there's only hundreds of incidents of this exactly happening. Just ask WF or just about any other bank scamming customers. :shrug:

Cool glad we got this resolved.

I've said exactly this, consistently, from the beginning. There's nothing to have been resolved.

Actually they suspended him because Michigan cheated and in the dumbest way possible.
There's actually a question as to whether what they did was actually prohibited by the current NCAA rules, or if they were exploiting a loophole in the rules

That's one of the reasons that it is important as to whether it was actually Stallions on the sidelines of the CMU game.

I've said exactly this, consistently, from the beginning. There's nothing to have been resolved.
@The Commish let me make sure I am clear of what you mean. You are saying Stallion’s cheated but the DC, OC and Harbaugh did not cheat?

This is the least convincing argument to me. Everyone is doing this part. It’s not illegal to have a predictive guy using signs, formations, personnel and anything else standing by the coach telling him what to do expect. That’s not illegal even the sign stealing.

This is all about him going way above and beyond to cheat and know way more than other teams know. Probably, Harbaugh knew how he knew so much and put him up to it. For me, 90%. But him standing beside him knowing a bunch of signs and that it’s pressure and from where isn’t the smoking gun people think it is. Maybe they thought he was great at his job and stealing those the old fashioned way?

@The Commish let me make sure I am clear of what you mean. You are saying Stallion’s cheated but the DC, OC and Harbaugh did not cheat?
All the leaked information says that Harbaugh, the DC, and the OC were not involved with the 'how' Stallions was figuring out the other teams' signs.

There seems to be little doubt that he was designated as the guy who deciphered the other teams' signs for Michigan. But every team has one of those guys. So the question of whether he was a rogue employee who set up this scheme to send people to the games and record signs or whether the coaches knew what he was doing is an important one.

All the leaked information says that Harbaugh, the DC, and the OC were not involved with the 'how' Stallions was figuring out the other teams' signs.

There seems to be little doubt that he was designated as the guy who deciphered the other teams' signs for Michigan. But every team has one of those guys. So the question of whether he was a rogue employee who set up this scheme to send people to the games and record signs or whether the coaches knew what he was doing is an important one.
Never mind all the tickets being bought (on his $55k salary) and videos being taken. Yeah, I’m sorry…I’m not busing they didn’t know story. Even if they didn’t know, that still falls on the head coach to know what’s going on in his program.

Let's say any of this is true....Who bankrolled Stalions? He wasn't doing it on his own. If he was, why was the schedule and budget listed as part of the evidence NCAA pulled from UoM?

If Stalions was this low-key recruiting analyst who just so happened to be great at deciphering this information - better than any other team's person "who was also doing it", why was he standing on the sideline directly next to the coaches? Last I checked, there are personnel rules as to who can be there and where they can stand. Low level recruiting analysts don't get the privledge of "barking" in the HC's ears about plays being called.

More people knew about this, partnered in, and benefited from it aside from Stalions. It was a program issue, thus it is a HC issue.

Also, how is this issue with Stalions now resolved? Because he resigned (likely with a nice bag of money) from the football team.

Never mind all the tickets being bought (on his $55k salary) and videos being taken. Yeah, I’m sorry…I’m not busing they didn’t know story. Even if they didn’t know, that still falls on the head coach to know what’s going on in his program.
I think they got the right suspension then. To me, they have no proof on Harbaugh, but he is responsible. 3 games seems right for that.

Let's say any of this is true....Who bankrolled Stalions? He wasn't doing it on his own. If he was, why was the schedule and budget listed as part of the evidence NCAA pulled from UoM?

If Stalions was this low-key recruiting analyst who just so happened to be great at deciphering this information - better than any other team's person "who was also doing it", why was he standing on the sideline directly next to the coaches? Last I checked, there are personnel rules as to who can be there and where they can stand. Low level recruiting analysts don't get the privledge of "barking" in the HC's ears about plays being called.

More people knew about this, partnered in, and benefited from it aside from Stalions. It was a program issue, thus it is a HC issue.

Also, how is this issue with Stalions now resolved? Because he resigned (likely with a nice bag of money) from the football team.
Lots of good questions that the NCAA is currently investigating. Seems like a good idea to finish that investigation before burning the program to the ground.

It doesn't help when national media "Steven A" says Deion should leave because Colorado won't be able to get line players.
Unless he commits a horrible crime or is involved in some kind of crazy scandal, Sanders will be able to recruit nationally wherever he coaches. He doesn't need to be Texas or Florida to get really good players from those states. He'll also get his share out of the portal. Colorado is going to see a big jump in raw talent over the next couple of years.
We know Deion can make big splashes…we don’t know if he can build a machine to evaluate, recruit, and develop…thru high school recruiting and portal management. He won’t sustain talented rosters without all of it. And if he realizes he can’t or doesn’t want to commit to all of it, try the NFL.
Exactly which is why he should stay at Colorado for a few more years. We love him at Colorado but he has made some questionable coaching moves in game and off the field. Do that at lots of places and go 4-8 or 6-6 and they would be going ballistic. Here he can get away with it for awhile.

I'm saying it's pretty clear Stallions cheated. The evidence thus far, doesn't show a connection to the others knowing this guy was cheating so I am reserving judgment on whether they did or not until it can be proven/disproven.

Lots of good questions that the NCAA is currently investigating. Seems like a good idea to finish that investigation before burning the program to the ground.
If suspending the HC for three games because this all occurred on his watch as "burning the program to the ground", you're gonna be in for a rude awakening.

Michigan fans jumping through hoops for this are going to have a real hard time when the NCAA vacates these wins.
Why? What the NCAA does really doesn't matter. Everyone knows they can do whatever they want and interpret their rules however they choose. You've been on this site as long as I have (if not longer) railing against the joke the NCAA is for this very reason. Why would this situation be any different in your view?

All this would do is remove stats from NCAA record books and put (*) in all the other sites collecting the same information....just like everyone else who's been through stuff like this.

ETA: That said, your statement is likely true for some Michigan fans. It's real to them!!!!!!!

Why? What the NCAA does really doesn't matter. Everyone knows they can do whatever they want and interpret their rules however they choose. You've been on this site as long as I have (if not longer) railing against the joke the NCAA is for this very reason. Why would this situation be any different in your view?
The NCAA is a huge joke and schools like Michigan should break away. But if UM fans are having this hard of a time with Harbaugh getting suspended I imagine vacated wins and likely scholarship reductions will sting worse.

That said Michigan should tell them to piss off and keep any banners up.

The NCAA is a huge joke and schools like Michigan should break away. But if UM fans are having this hard of a time with Harbaugh getting suspended I imagine vacated wins and likely scholarship reductions will sting worse.

:thanks:

Oh no - the three game suspension where he can still coach during the week is a joke of a punishment. It's not like he calls the plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread