What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New Music Thread (1 Viewer)

Winnie Ama - Don't Worry

🎶 Don't worry baby,
I got a plan for you and me 🎶

Winnie Ama is a Northern Ireland/Ghanaian singer/songwriter whose music is a blend of R&B, Funk and Jazz

Haven’t seen any discussion of the new Black Pumas album — Chronicles of a Diamond. I think first heard about them in the US dummies countdown. New album is pretty good.

Lead single:

My favorite track (love when that choir hits):

Last edited:
My favorite recent album is Empty Country II by Empty Country. It's the current project of Joseph D'Agostino who fronted 2009 indie buzz band Cymbals Eat Guitars. The new band is a bit quieter and rootsier but you can hear the connection in D'Agostino's flair for the dramatic.

The 76 Club - Beside Myself

English band from Burton-on-Trent.

An energetic, punchy, and catchy tune. Love their lead vocalist.

My favorite recent album is Empty Country II by Empty Country. It's the current project of Joseph D'Agostino who fronted 2009 indie buzz band Cymbals Eat Guitars. The new band is a bit quieter and rootsier but you can hear the connection in D'Agostino's flair for the dramatic.

Checked it out. That took a few turns. Cool song.

The potential Wrens reunion died in the egg a few years ago but Charles Bissell has released some of his songs from that album under the name Car Colors. Maybe it's just his distinctive voice but the three songs out so far sounds more like the Wrens than the stuff the Whelans put out as Aeon Station in 2021.

Aeon Station is touring next year so I wouldn't be surprised by two ex-Wrens albums in the first half of 2024.

Sleaford Mods released a cover of "West End Girls" that closely follows the original except for a different sense of irony. I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

The Pet Shop Boys remix brings in synths and congas to gussy things up a little.

Sleaford Mods released a cover of "West End Girls" that closely follows the original except for a different sense of irony. I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

I like the Sleaford Mods but I don’t like this.

Last edited:
JoshKingz - I Love That Woman

File under: Electronica, Dance Music, Soul, R&B

Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die ((world war)) by Jaimie Branch is some hot ****- it's jazz but sounds like an epic movie soundtrack or something. IMO the best jazz album I've heard in a few years. If I was making a movie, I would be reaching out to her to do the score- she could do an incredible crime film score.

borealis dancing

the mountain (sounds like Woody Guthire meets Miles Davis)

take over the world

ETA: ignore my previous comment, this was a posthumous release. Branch died in August of 2022. RIP.

Last edited:
Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die ((world war)) by Jaimie Branch is some hot ****- it's jazz but sounds like an epic movie soundtrack or something. IMO the best jazz album I've heard in a few years. If I was making a movie, I would be reaching out to her to do the score- she could do an incredible crime film score.

borealis dancing

the mountain (sounds like Woody Guthire meets Miles Davis)

take over the world

ETA: ignore my previous comment, this was a posthumous release. Branch died in August of 2022. RIP.

Was just listening to Simple Silver Surfer, which has nice jazz-funk sound. Thanks for the recommendation of this artist.

I like the Sleaford Mods but I don’t like this.
Doesn’t have the same nuance as Jolly F##### imo

The Clause - Pop Culture

A catchy guitar oriented fun bop. More cowbell! 🐮

Four-piece indie rock band band Hailing from Birmingham, England UK

Kamobii - 'Til The Morning

🎶 Stay
Won't you stay with me 'til the morning
'Til the morning 🎶

"Combining a relaxed hip-hop beat and a catchy piano melody, the track exudes a captivating chorus"

The post-country sound certainly has been popular this year. I like the Ratboys album but not nearly as much as the Wednesday album that has gotten even more critical acclaim.

Dutch Uncles - At The Wheel

Manchester UK electronic, art-rock band with vocalist who reminds me of Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders.

Jenny Colquitt - Fallin' Angels

Let's not fight
Let's unite
We are fallin' angels tonight

Laufey - From The Start (2023 Jimmy Kimmel)

Laufey is an Icelandic singer and songwriter whose music is in a jazz pop style.

My niece Precious released an album. It's not going to make my AOTY list but it's pretty solid generic modern R&B and she's a good kid.

If you listen for >30 seconds, it'll help her get monetized on Spotify :thumbup:

(y) Listened to the whole album on Apple!

My niece Precious released an album. It's not going to make my AOTY list but it's pretty solid generic modern R&B and she's a good kid.

If you listen for >30 seconds, it'll help her get monetized on Spotify :thumbup:

Haven’t had a chance to listen yet, but added to my Apple Music library.

I know this may be a little too "Dad Rock" in this thread but the new Peter Gabriel album, i/o, is pretty amazing.

It sounds like an artist at the peak of his career and not a dinosaur still hanging around and just regurgitating their old songs.

15 monthly listeners - I've bumped it to 16.

Ladytron - Misery (Remember Me)

This came out in January but didn't hear it until today.

Alternative and Pop Music meet Shoegaze. The Cocteau Twins with a touch of ABBA.

FRankly (프랭클리) - Better

FRankly I love this K-Pop song, which has a Hall & Oates flavor to it, although some feedback I've gotten on it say that it’s almost a cover of Terence Trent D’Arby's “It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over”

The Tibbs - Ain't It Funny

The latest release from this Dutch Retro Soul, Neo Soul band.

"That band is tight AF. Horn section is in the pocket. Lead singer is riding that groove"

I am still running across some really good songs from late 2023 that didn't make the list and don't belong in the 2024 new releases.

Anyway...some Power Pop from a Sheffield England based Singer/Songwriter.

Sam Scherdel - R.E.T.R.O. (2023)

🎶 You're my retro (whoa)
Now I see there's a chance for me 🎶

a kid named rufus - I Hate Being Cool (2023)

🎶 Oh, I forgot to tell you that I hate being cool.
So please don’t tell your friends
Think we should just pretend 🎶

Alt Pop artist leaning to Soul and R&B here.

Users who are viewing this thread