What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New Music Thread (1 Viewer)

Ryan Adams’ “Nebraska” released today. Much like his album “1989”, which was a cover of Taylor Swifts “1989” album - this is a complete cover of Springsteens “Nebraska” album.

The new Fireworks album dropped on New Years day, I like it... it's a little bit all over the place, but it is definitely scratching the new album itch I had. Not gonna lie... I thought this album was released a few years ago, but apparently the 'rona really, really messed that up. Check out: Jerking Off the Sky

Looks like a great year. Just from the first list I’m excited to hear new albums from:

Wild Nothing, Andy Shauf, Folk Implosion, Young Fathers , Shame, Nation of Language, Squid, Yo La Tengo, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Michael Stipe, The National, Peter Gabriel, My Bloody Valentine.

Looks like a great year. Just from the first list I’m excited to hear new albums from:

Wild Nothing, Andy Shauf, Folk Implosion, Young Fathers , Shame, Nation of Language, Squid, Yo La Tengo, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Michael Stipe, The National, Peter Gabriel, My Bloody Valentine.

Is a new Squid album speculation? I haven’t read anything. Bight Green Field was one of my favorites last year although I was a year behind on it.

Is a new Squid album speculation? I haven’t read anything. Bight Green Field was one of my favorites last year although I was a year behind on it.
Not sure. It’s on the Stereogum list, though.

Belle and Sebastian new song, "I Don't Know What You See in Me" (described as a 90s power ballad :eek:) and new album, Late Developers, out Friday.
I kind of love this.

Big fan of Belle and Sebastien but would else would you expect from someone with a stupid avatar like mine. Best Scottish band after We Were Promised Jetpacks.
There was a goof-up on the track listing on Amazon where they posted the song titles from the upcoming The National album. So I guess The National will have tracks with Phoebe Bridgers, Sufjan Stevens and Taylor Swift.

Belle and Sebastian new song, "I Don't Know What You See in Me" (described as a 90s power ballad :eek:) and new album, Late Developers, out Friday.
I kind of love this.

Big fan of Belle and Sebastien but would else would you expect from someone with a stupid avatar like mine. Best Scottish band after We Were Promised Jetpacks.
There was a goof-up on the track listing on Amazon where they posted the song titles from the upcoming The National album. So I guess The National will have tracks with Phoebe Bridgers, Sufjan Stevens and Taylor Swift.
I love WWPJ but no way are they better than B&S.

We interrupt normal programming on BBC-Scotland to announce that Everything But The Girl are releasing their first new song in twenty years tomorrow. :excited:

The AV Clubs most anticipated albums, tours and festivals of the year:
Mac DeMarco: Five Easy Hot Dogs [January 20]
Sam Smith, Gloria [January 27]
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band 2023 North American tour [starts February 1]
Shania Twain: Queen Of Me [February 3]
Paramore: This Is Why [February 10]
Yo La Tengo: This Stupid World [February 10]
Rihanna’s Super Bowl LVII Halftime Show [February 12]
Caroline Polachek: Desire, I Want To Turn Into You [February 14]
Gorillaz: Cracker Island [February 24]
Rolling Loud California [March 3]
Fever Ray: Radical Romantics [March 10]
Lana Del Rey: Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd [March 10]
100 gecs: 10,000 gecs [March 17]
U2: Songs Of Surrender [March 17]
Taylor Swift Eras tour with Paramore, beabadoobee, Phoebe Bridgers, Haim, Muna etc. [starts March 18]
Depeche Mode Memento Mori tour [starts March 23]
Coachella [April 14-16, April 21-23]
Janet Jackson Together Again tour with Ludacris [starts April 14]
Metallica: 72 Seasons [April 14]
The Smashing Pumpkins: Atum [April 21]
The Walkmen reunion tour [starts April 24]
Blink-182 + Tom DeLonge reunion tour, North American leg with Turnstile [starts May 4]
Death Grips tour [starts May 4]
Dead & Co. farewell tour [starts May 19]
Bonnaroo [June 15–18]
Lollapalooza [August 3-6]
Death Cab For Cutie/The Postal Service co-headlining tour [starts September 8]
When We Were Young Festival [October 21]

John Cale has new music coming out at the age of 80. Two songs dropped in October unbeknownst to me including a collaboration with Weyes Blood.

The song he released yesterday is Cale crooning over synths and beats. It's lovely and moody and sounds a bit like what The Blue Nile used to back in the 90s.

We interrupt normal programming on BBC-Scotland to announce that Everything But The Girl are releasing their first new song in twenty years tomorrow. :excited:
:shrug:

Wake me when God Help the Girl does something new.

Also, I'm lukewarm on Springsteen, but why would anyone remake Nebraska? I'm looking at you Ryan Adams.

The AV Clubs most anticipated albums, tours and festivals of the year:

Depeche Mode Memento Mori tour [starts March 23]
Death Cab For Cutie/The Postal Service co-headlining tour [starts September 8]
When We Were Young Festival [October 21]

Most likely traveling for these three shows. My son is the one wanting to go to the When We Were Young Festival. Like I needed another reason to introduce him to Vegas.

I'm trying to be more organized this year. Albums I liked in January in no particular order.

Jose James - On & On Jazz singer James pays tribute to Erykah Badu by giving seven of her songs soulful jazzy arrangements. Badu is such an idiosyncratic artist so it's interesting to hear her tunes and poetry interpreted by someone else.

Complete Mountains Almanac - S/T The Dessner brothers join Swedish singer Rebekka Karijord for a lovely folky set of songs named after the months of the year.

XL LIFE - The Boogie Down South Welsh Punk band fronted by UK rapper Traxx who sings raps and shouts his heart out. It's kind of a weird combination but it works for me. RIYL: The Judgement Night soundtrack.

The Bad Ends - The Power and The Glory Athens, GA supergroup with Bill Berry of R.E.M. and John Neff of Drive-By Truckers. Nothing terribly original but the old pros do a fine job banging out songs reminiscent of the glory days of Southeastern Conference rock.

The Reytons - What's Rock and Roll? They still sound like fake tales of Arctic Monkeys circa 2007 but there's a lot of up tempo fun to be had once you get past the obvious similarities

F----d Up - One Day .They've never really been my thing but I like what's happening in the less screamy parts.

The Tubs - Dead Meat Sometimes they sound like the Buzzcocks, sometimes it's the Smiths. The singer reminds me of Richard Thompson. Reminder to me to listen to this one again.

John Cale has new music coming out at the age of 80

I follow him on Twitter. Apparently people like the new stuff. I'll have to listen.

...and now for something old.

I've given up hope of Cale's Sabotage Live album ever coming to Spotify. Recorded live at CBGB in 1979 with a band of young downtown punks, it's like Cale's version of Rock 'n Roll Animal.

I've given up hope of Cale's Sabotage Live album ever coming to Spotify. Recorded live at CBGB in 1979 with a band of young downtown punks, it's like Cale's version of Rock 'n Roll Animal.

I’ve crossed paths with this before, likely per you. Will give a listen again.

Users who are viewing this thread