What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (4 Viewers)

2023 Eagles Regular Season Prediction Contest is back, with a world-renowned cornucopia of Eagles swag as the top prize!

Same rules as last season:
  • Using the format below (and my official entry) as a template, indicate these 3 things about the Eagles 2023 season: overall record, total points scored, and the outcome of each game: W/L/T (make sure your Wins and Losses match up with your overall record!)
  • Number of correct W/L outcome predictions by game will be the first tie-breaker if multiple entries have the correct overall record, and total points (closest, over or under) will be the second tie-breaker, if needed.
  • Entries need to be posted in this thread by noon EST on Sunday, September 10th. Open to all FBGs, even Niners fans that read bedtime fairy tales to their children about Brock Purdy leading them to Super Bowl LVII.
Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

Any of you have an idea of whether Mariota has the #2 QB job locked down? I have Hurts as my dynasty QB, and currently have Mariota as well, but really don’t want to carry McKee if I don’t have to. I know McKee is more of a long term answer, but if Hurts goes down early this year, I’d want to have to QB that will back him up. Wish McKee was #2 now, so I could dump Mariota. Thanks in advance, and good luck this season. You’ve got a great team!
Right now, I would say mariota is still locked in. But if hurts goes down for any extended period of time, I wouldn’t be surprised if McKee gets some reps.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Gainwell getting more touches then Swift. I think as the season rolls on it will be clear Swift is simply a better NFL RB ..
Swift is obviously a better talent but you still have to bet on him staying healthy and doing the right things in the offense. Gainwell is much better at those things, which is what makes this backfield so challenging fantasy-wise.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Gainwell getting more touches then Swift. I think as the season rolls on it will be clear Swift is simply a better NFL RB ..
Swift is obviously a better talent but you still have to bet on him staying healthy and doing the right things in the offense. Gainwell is much better at those things, which is what makes this backfield so challenging fantasy-wise.

Good summary of the situation, and the impact on carries/touches, in this article on it being a "4-headed monster", including:

Who’s the starter? Who’s going to get the most carries? Who’s going to play the most snaps?

Nobody knows. It’s going to depend on so many variables, including down and distance, score of the game, who’s got the hot hand, who’s healthiest, what sort of defense the Eagles are facing and so on.

From what training camp looked like, our best guess is that Swift will be a guy who can play on any down or in any situation, Gainwell will have a greatly increased role from last year and Penny could be a 6-8 carry guy. Scott’s role on offense might be limited if everyone else is healthy, but he’s shown over the last five years he can come in at any point and produce.

It’s possible none of them will come close to 1,000 yards or make a Pro Bowl and there won’t be a ton of carries to even go around since the Eagles are probably going to throw 30 times a game and Jalen Hurts will get a bunch of carries as well.

Last edited:
2023 Eagles Regular Season Prediction Contest is back, with a world-renowned cornucopia of Eagles swag as the top prize!

• Using the format below (and my official entry) as a template, indicate these 3 things about the Eagles 2023 season: overall record, total points scored, and the outcome of each game: W/L/T (make sure your Wins and Losses match up with your overall record!)
  • Number of correct W/L outcome predictions by game will be the first tie-breaker if multiple entries have the correct overall record, and total points (closest, over or under) will be the second tie-breaker, if needed.
  • Entries need to be posted in this thread by noon EST on Sunday, September 10th. Open to all FBGs, even Niners fans that read bedtime fairy tales to their children about Brock Purdy leading them to Super Bowl LVII.
Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

12-5 (420)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS L
@ LAR W
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC W
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

Thanks for doing this

11-6 (447)
@NE SUN W
MIN THU W
@TB MON W
WAS SUN W
@LAR SUN W
@NYJ SUN W
MIA SUN W
@WAS SUN L
DAL SUN W
BYE
@KC MON L
BUF SUN L
SF SUN W
@DAL SUN L
@SEA SUN L
NYG MON W
ARI SUN W
@NYG SUN L

Thanks Noid! I really really wanna tag this as a 13-4 season, but keeping my expectations in check and moving on the cautiously optimistic side. Definitely a tougher slate than last year and both Wash & NYG should be better teams than last year also.

Last edited:
13-4 (435)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC W
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA W
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L

13-4
Total Points: 482

Good summary of the situation, and the impact on carries/touches, in this article on it being a "4-headed monster", including:

Who’s the starter? Who’s going to get the most carries? Who’s going to play the most snaps?

Nobody knows. It’s going to depend on so many variables, including down and distance, score of the game, who’s got the hot hand, who’s healthiest, what sort of defense the Eagles are facing and so on.

From what training camp looked like, our best guess is that Swift will be a guy who can play on any down or in any situation, Gainwell will have a greatly increased role from last year and Penny could be a 6-8 carry guy. Scott’s role on offense might be limited if everyone else is healthy, but he’s shown over the last five years he can come in at any point and produce.

It’s possible none of them will come close to 1,000 yards or make a Pro Bowl and there won’t be a ton of carries to even go around since the Eagles are probably going to throw 30 times a game and Jalen Hurts will get a bunch of carries as well.
The only solid fantasy advice I can give on the Philly RBs is start Boston Scott against the Giants.

@ NE W
MIN L
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA L
@ WAS L
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF L
@ DAL L
@ SEA W
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

10-7
Total Points: 431

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL W
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L

12-4

In case any local folks are interested:

My redraft league has a last-minute vacancy. Snake draft is in-person on Thursday at 6 pm at a restaurant in Wayne, PA. League fee is $300, food/space costs will be about $65 per person. Payouts for top 3 in head to head, total points and all-play. 12 teams, PPR, all TDs 6. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D/ST, 8 bench spots. PM me if interested.

Good luck!

12-5 (447)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L
adjusted to mine

Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W
lol, like the little dig at Niners fans:

14-3 (440)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC W
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA W
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L

Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

14-3 (440)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC W
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA W
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L
Damn homie, you think we start 11-1?! Would be nice but I don't see it haha

2023 Eagles captains selected by the team, with 2 first-timers:

• A.J. Brown (1st season as a captain)
• Fletcher Cox (6th season)
• Jake Elliott (2nd season)
• Brandon Graham (5th season)
• Jalen Hurts (3rd season)
• Lane Johnson (2nd season)
• Jason Kelce (6th season)
• DeVonta Smith (1st season)
• Darius Slay (2nd season)

Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W
10-7 (456)

@ NE W
MIN L
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L

Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W
10-7 (456)

@ NE W
MIN L
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L
hmm. i see both you and @The Noid have us losing to the Rams in week 4. Am i missing something? are we guessing it is just a letdown game?

Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

14-3 (440)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC W
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA W
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L
Damn homie, you think we start 11-1?! Would be nice but I don't see it haha
:lmao: yeah i went too low last year, so probably overcompensated with the predictions. Funny thins is looking at the schedule they certainly have the talent to be in every game. i think injuries will play a part, but if they get lucky again on that front i think a 14-3 is in the cards. of course :homer:, but this is a good time of year to be all positive with rainbows and unicorns for everybody

It's a tough schedule on paper right now, but several of the teams we play are likely to be weaker then their 2022 versions. Buffalo and Minnesota being the best examples. Also suspect Miami and SF to be not as tough.

12 - 5 (455)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

6-11 344pts

@ NE L
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA L
@ WAS L
DAL L
@ KC L
BUF L
SF L
@ DAL L
@ SEA W
NYG L
AZ W
@ NYG L
Damn, 8 losses in a row and we'd probably have to take some advice from the board and see if Indy would possibly take Hurts for Richardson.

13-4 (491)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

11-6, 471 pts

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL L
@ KC L
BUF W
SF L
@ DAL W
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W

I think they take a step back or 2 this year. Still contenders but we had a lot of lucky breaks in terms of calls and bounces going our way as well as being very healthy. We also had an easier schedule last year NOV-DEC that 5 week stretch will show how good this team is. You also have 2 new cordinators this year to deal with.

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR W
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL W
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L

12-5
Total Points: 448

It's a tough schedule on paper right now, but several of the teams we play are likely to be weaker then their 2022 versions. Buffalo and Minnesota being the best examples. Also suspect Miami and SF to be not as tough.

I could see us losing to TB but have it as a win. If MIA wasn't home I'd put it as a L for now. We have issues when playing down in florida the last few times. Should've beaten TB with Foles in 18 in the Fitz/Djac game and then were embarrassed a year or so later in MIA when they had a fake TD score

I see a lot of people predicting a loss to the Jets. They are 12-0 lifetime against them. I guess they're bound to lose to them at some point.

Jets defense is a lot better this year and they got better QB now. Jets would've IMHO been a playoff team if they had competent QB play

I see a lot of people predicting a loss to the Jets. They are 12-0 lifetime against them. I guess they're bound to lose to them at some point.

Jets defense is a lot better this year and they got better QB now. Jets would've IMHO been a playoff team if they had competent QB play
Understood. Do you think this is the best Jets team the Eagles have ever faced? I mean, 12- & forever. Yes, they could lose. But always bet with the trend, not against it.

I could see us losing to TB but have it as a win. If MIA wasn't home I'd put it as a L for now. We have issues when playing down in florida the last few times. Should've beaten TB with Foles in 18 in the Fitz/Djac game and then were embarrassed a year or so later in MIA when they had a fake TD score
The Bucs are going to be a bottom 5 team. I see no way we are losing to them with Baker or Trask at QB.

Understood. Do you think this is the best Jets team the Eagles have ever faced? I mean, 12- & forever. Yes, they could lose. But always bet with the trend, not against it.

This might be. We've played some terrible Jets teams. Can't remember the Rex Ryan era us facing them outside of preason but even that team was more predicated on the defense carrying them. Overall this might be the most balanced Jets team we've faced in awhile

The Bucs are going to be a bottom 5 team. I see no way we are losing to them with Baker or Trask at QB.
We were supposed to beat TB with Foles and still lost and that TB team wasn't great either. They went 5-11 with one of their wins against us. Foles threw for over 300 but 1TD.

We were supposed to beat TB with Foles and still lost and that TB team wasn't great either. They went 5-11 with one of their wins against us. Foles threw for over 300 but 1TD.
Not sure how that has any bearing on this team or game, but OK.

This might be. We've played some terrible Jets teams. Can't remember the Rex Ryan era us facing them outside of preason but even that team was more predicated on the defense carrying them. Overall this might be the most balanced Jets team we've faced in awhile
This might be the best Jets team since Namath retired

Not sure how that has any bearing on this team or game, but OK.
History says the Eagles don’t do well in the state of Florida no matter the circumstances

History says the Eagles don’t do well in the state of Florida no matter the circumstances
What does history say about the Eagles v. Jets?
Yeah. I'm a big hater of the whole "the trend was this, so it must continue"

Every season is unique in its own circumstances, let alone how the game and rules change almost yearly.

Jets have never ever beat the Eagles, but now they have Aaron Rodgers on a pretty good team. That trend has zero bearing on this game.

Just like the ole "No one has repeated as NFC East division winners in 20 years" So?

What does history say about the Eagles v. Jets?
Yeah. I'm a big hater of the whole "the trend was this, so it must continue"

Every season is unique in its own circumstances, let alone how the game and rules change almost yearly.

Jets have never ever beat the Eagles, but now they have Aaron Rodgers on a pretty good team. That trend has zero bearing on this game.

Just like the ole "No one has repeated as NFC East division winners in 20 years" So?
Sure, I get that. The Jets have a good/great team this year. I'm just surprised so many are chalking it up as a loss against a team they never lost to. Eagles could very lose though.

But if someone's going to point to the history vs. one team, you can't ignore it vs. another. Although I'm not surprised in this case both are going against the Eagles.

That said, if you walk up to a roulette wheel and see the last 8 spins were black, don't bet the next one to be red. I know, apples and oranges and such.

Not sure I agree. What does historical record against a team have anything to do with what will happen this year?

Not sure I agree. What does historical record against a team have anything to do with what will happen this year?
Nothing, really. As I said, I'm just surprised so many Eagles fans are predicting a loss to a team they've never lost to. Just a curiosity, nothing more.
By the same point, history should play no part in thinking the Eagles would lose to an inferior TB team just because they've struggled in the past.

Nothing, really. As I said, I'm just surprised so many Eagles fans are predicting a loss to a team they've never lost to. Just a curiosity, nothing more.
By the same point, history should play no part in thinking the Eagles would lose to an inferior TB team just because they've struggled in the past.

I get why they are predicting it. The Jets on paper were a very good team last year with the exception of QB. Now they have presumably filled that void. They have the 8th highest odds to win the Super Bowl.

Good luck!

11-6 (395)

@ NE W
MIN W
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ W
MIA L
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF L
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG W
10-7 (456)

@ NE W
MIN L
@ TB W
WAS W
@ LAR L
@ NYJ L
MIA W
@ WAS W
DAL W
@ KC L
BUF W
SF W
@ DAL L
@ SEA L
NYG W
AZ W
@ NYG L
hmm. i see both you and @The Noid have us losing to the Rams in week 4. Am i missing something? are we guessing it is just a letdown game?
McVay is a good coach. Good players on both sides of the ball. It is an away game.

Users who are viewing this thread