What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (2 Viewers)

Nick is up.... this should be good...
Talking like he thinks he'll be here next year.

Basically just saying the team got stuck in a rut the last 2 months and couldn't get out of it, but he will work this offseason to find a way to get out of that slump.

Dodged the "will you change your coordinators" question. Said they'll look at all that in the future, just now everyone is hurting and they need to focus on that.

coaches coach...players make plays....on the two early TD's..... DB's run into each other and then Bradberry misses a tackle....that's not on coaching....gotta have scapegoats I guess....4th and 5 Goeddert should have been first read instead of throwing a 50 50 ball in end zone....players/Hurts have some responsibility here...

Not much from Nick- typical coach speak. No finger pointing, saying he should've put guys in place to make better plays. Not concerned about himself- thinking of the guys in the locker room.

They cut away just as Zach Berman finally got to ask him how he felt they handled the blitz. I really wanted to hear what he said about that. that was the most egregious thing about the coaching in this game. That Offensive play calling was ridiculously stupid.

Not much from Nick- typical coach speak. No finger pointing, saying he should've put guys in place to make better plays. Not concerned about himself- thinking of the guys in the locker room.

They cut away just as Zach Berman finally got to ask him how he felt they handled the blitz. I really wanted to hear what he said about that. that was the most egregious thing about the coaching in this game. That Offensive play calling was ridiculously stupid.

Again hes an offensive guy? Where were the adjustments? No where. He's done. He's got to go.

He answered it right after that question. Paraphrasing but he said that it’s not just Jalen and that players and coaches need to be better there and it all starts with him.

Again hes an offensive guy? Where were the adjustments? No where. He's done. He's got to go.
He’s not a play caller. Look, if you’re looking for a play caller that’s one thing but it’s not common. Vrabel and Belichick aren’t calling plays. Hell, Reid doesn’t even call all plays now. Harbaugh won’t be calling plays either.

He answered it right after that question. Paraphrasing but he said that it’s not just Jalen and that players and coaches need to be better there and it all starts with him.
Yeah, pretty much a non-answer, like I expected. He’s not going to throw anyone under the bus. But something needs to be done to get the Offense on track- there’s too mich talent to perform the way they did thia year.

Yeah, pretty much a non-answer, like I expected. He’s not going to throw anyone under the bus. But something needs to be done to get the Offense on track- there’s too mich talent to perform the way they did thia year.
The OC is gone.

I really don't get the blitz pickup. They did it earlier in the year. They either added extra blockers or had short routes to use as an outlet. Players didn't play well but coaches forgot how to coach. Nick can be as personable and responsible as he wants. This all falls on him.

The OC is gone.
Has to be. And the position coaches too. No hiring from within. This can't happen again.

Only guy that played well tonight is Devonte Smith. All that is going to to do is cost us more money on his next contract.

Something tells me we maybe have another season, but he is money and I can see somebody like the chiefs wanting him. He is WR1 material.

The OLine play got progressively bad as well, and they are considered a strength. Not sure what happened with that either..
They still finished #1 in the PFF rankings, but they were discernably worse than last year, which means they must have been off the charts last year. They were mostly excellent at run blocking, making it even more baffling why so few runs were called in most games. The pass blocking was definitely not as good as last year, the failure of the coaches to adjust to blitzes probably playing a huge role in that.

Are we really sure 2023 should end? I want to stay in an unhealthy Aaron Rodgers time warp forever.

Let's do the time warp again!

“So just so we are clear:
🏈 The issues are with Nick Sirianni per Tim McManus
🏈 The issues are with Jalen Hurts per the Philadelphia Inquirer
🏈 The issues are with Brian Johnson per MLFootball

Glad we cleared that up and everyone is focused on winning the game instead of pre-setting the narrative for when they lose.

Hearing all the stories come out after this season is going to be wild”

I memed it for you.
Perfect! And who knows but usually where there’s smoke there’s fire.

Last year both sides of the ball functioned at a high level and now they don’t. Only difference is the OC and DC so that where I’m laying my bets

Other difference is key guys are older and we lost key guys and failed to adequately replace them.

Are the Cordinators putting guys in bad positions? Probably but at the same time we failed in player personnel acquisitions.
What you are saying with these coordinators is 90% of this teams issues.

They also failed to replace guys on defense. Losing CJ and Edward’s and White were bigger than people think. Both slay and Bradberry should have either been replaced or kept 1 not both. The essential kept bradberry over keeping CJ.

Failed to get an adequate #3 wR and get a RB to compliment Swift as well as upgrade TE2.

They kept relying on older guys and it finally caught up to them finally. Cordinators are an issue but so is some of the personnel.
90% coaches and 10% personnel.

Bradberry over CJGJ or Edwards was a big miss for sure.

People love to lean on the age even when the younger guys look worse too. Guys like Milton Williams or Sweat looked to be taking the next steps to being good to great players and took huge steps back.

You’ll see how much different this team is next year if we get quality coordinators

And if it’s more of the same then what?

Depends, right? If guys like Kelce or Lane retire that’s an issue for sure. The coaching is so much worse this year compared to last.

Howie has to realize that you can win in this league with younger players if the coaching is there. We can’t keep “bringing the band back” after successful years. They (Lurie and Howie) HAVE to adjust there.
Idk if that was even the plan. He pivoted once CJGJ didn't resign. He should have let all of them walk and took the hit this year with young guys.

Do you have the link for that qoute?

Please with everything here, always please add the link. Thanks.

And on something where you heard it on the radio or TV and don't have the actual quote, please let us know that too.

Glad we cleared that up and everyone is focused on winning the game instead of pre-setting the narrative for when they lose.

I memed it for you.

Last year both sides of the ball functioned at a high level and now they don’t. Only difference is the OC and DC so that where I’m laying my bets

Other difference is key guys are older and we lost key guys and failed to adequately replace them.

Are the Cordinators putting guys in bad positions? Probably but at the same time we failed in player personnel acquisitions.

They also failed to replace guys on defense. Losing CJ and Edward’s and White were bigger than people think. Both slay and Bradberry should have either been replaced or kept 1 not both. The essential kept bradberry over keeping CJ.

Failed to get an adequate #3 wR and get a RB to compliment Swift as well as upgrade TE2.

They kept relying on older guys and it finally caught up to them finally. Cordinators are an issue but so is some of the personnel.

People love to lean on the age even when the younger guys look worse too. Guys like Milton Williams or Sweat looked to be taking the next steps to being good to great players and took huge steps back.

You’ll see how much different this team is next year if we get quality coordinators

Depends, right? If guys like Kelce or Lane retire that’s an issue for sure. The coaching is so much worse this year compared to last.

Howie has to realize that you can win in this league with younger players if the coaching is there. We can’t keep “bringing the band back” after successful years. They (Lurie and Howie) HAVE to adjust there.
Idk if that was even the plan. He pivoted once CJGJ didn't resign. He should have let all of them walk and took the hit this year with young guys.

And on something where you heard it on the radio or TV and don't have the actual quote, please let us know that too.

Eagles’ Howie Roseman talks Jalen Hurts, C.J. Gardner-Johnson and more at league meetings - The Athletic
What he said: “When you go back to kind of the start of free agency, we talked to his representatives about bringing him back here and also talked to them about the fact that we had limited resources. … Those first couple days, we tried and then we pivoted. I think that’s one of the most important things of free agency, you can go in with a plan but you have to be able to pivot and have other options and not get stuck with nothing. I think at that point, that’s where we went and then when we pivoted, that was kind of where it ends.” ... What he meant: We made a competitive offer, but he wanted more money than we were willing to pay him. If he was going to get paid like Jessie Bates, somebody would have paid him like Jessie Bates! And we couldn’t wait around forever. When he turned down our initial offer and Bradberry was still on the market, we signed Bradberry and the cap situation shifted. So we moved on, and when he lingered one week later, he seemed to move on, too. Contracts can be manipulated in different ways. We wanted him back — but at our price, not his. And in the end, we weren’t going to move mountains to keep him. — Berman

coaches coach...players make plays....on the two early TD's..... DB's run into each other and then Bradberry misses a tackle....that's not on coaching....gotta have scapegoats I guess....4th and 5 Goeddert should have been first read instead of throwing a 50 50 ball in end zone....players/Hurts have some responsibility here...
Agree it’s not all coaching. A lot of dumb plays and decision making by players as well. The Eagles biggest issue outside of coach is no one seems accountable. Multiple reports of players pointing fingers at one another.

I memed it for you.

Eagles’ Howie Roseman talks Jalen Hurts, C.J. Gardner-Johnson and more at league meetings - The Athletic
What he said: “When you go back to kind of the start of free agency, we talked to his representatives about bringing him back here and also talked to them about the fact that we had limited resources. … Those first couple days, we tried and then we pivoted. I think that’s one of the most important things of free agency, you can go in with a plan but you have to be able to pivot and have other options and not get stuck with nothing. I think at that point, that’s where we went and then when we pivoted, that was kind of where it ends.” ... What he meant: We made a competitive offer, but he wanted more money than we were willing to pay him. If he was going to get paid like Jessie Bates, somebody would have paid him like Jessie Bates! And we couldn’t wait around forever. When he turned down our initial offer and Bradberry was still on the market, we signed Bradberry and the cap situation shifted. So we moved on, and when he lingered one week later, he seemed to move on, too. Contracts can be manipulated in different ways. We wanted him back — but at our price, not his. And in the end, we weren’t going to move mountains to keep him. — Berman

Thank you @Insein Getting the full source and context like that is super helpful. Thanks.

Lane just interviewed.

Interviewer: "Why do you think some of those issues weren't corrected this year?"

Lane: "IDK it's like we weren't trying."

Wow.

There are few criticisms stronger a player can level than lack of effort.
Exactly. This team was toast since the 49er game.

Do you feel like they weren't trying? Anyone in particular?
Last night- it was the entire defense. No one was swarming to the ball, and those half-hearted arm tackles were atrocious. If this was a High School Football team, they'd be running gassers today for hours.

Bradberry looked disinterested all year, from Week 1. During the slide, after the 49er game, the energy and body language of almost the entire team was off. Jalen Carter disappeared. Jordan Davis was an overweight speed bump. None of the LBs looked very interested in tackling, even though Cunninham had been playing decent up to that point. Fletch was just tired, I think. BG as well. Sweat and Reddick looked just despondent and deflated at the way they were being used.

The Offense looked frustrated once the skid started. That's when there was all the reports of infighting and squabbles. It was like someone let the air out of the entire team and they just collapsed in frustration. Some guys were still giving effort, but it wasn't all of them. It's hard to point out guys who "quit". The whole team looked like they were sleep walking.

Lane just interviewed.

Interviewer: "Why do you think some of those issues weren't corrected this year?"

Lane: "IDK it's like we weren't trying."

Wow.

There are few criticisms stronger a player can level than lack of effort.
Exactly. This team was toast since the 49er game.

Do you feel like they weren't trying? Anyone in particular?
Last night- it was the entire defense. No one was swarming to the ball, and those half-hearted arm tackles were atrocious. If this was a High School Football team, they'd be running gassers today for hours.

Bradberry looked disinterested all year, from Week 1. During the slide, after the 49er game, the energy and body language of almost the entire team was off. Jalen Carter disappeared. Jordan Davis was an overweight speed bump. None of the LBs looked very interested in tackling, even though Cunninham had been playing decent up to that point. Fletch was just tired, I think. BG as well. Sweat and Reddick looked just despondent and deflated at the way they were being used.

The Offense looked frustrated once the skid started. That's when there was all the reports of infighting and squabbles. It was like someone let the air out of the entire team and they just collapsed in frustration. Some guys were still giving effort, but it wasn't all of them. It's hard to point out guys who "quit". The whole team looked like they were sleep walking.
Ray Lewis was on the Manningcast during the second half of the game and he said almost exactly all of this, pointing especially to the defense who were, semi-quoting him, running to the ball and pretending to sprint after the offensive play already passed by them instead of sprinting to the play before it develops.
Plus, he added that the entire defense, though he was really pointing at two plays by Bradbury, forgot the most fundamental thing they learn from peewee league in how to corral and tackle. He looked and sounded just as frustrated as any other Eagles fan during the game.
In commenting about the players only meeting that reportedly took place in the Eagles lockertoom, he feels like the season started with some cohesion amongst the team, but that that teamwork visibly dissipated throughout the season. He repeated, "look at the tape, the tape don't lie" over and over.

None of the LBs looked very interested in tackling, even though Cunninham had been playing decent up to that point.

I've been watching Cunningham closely because he's got value in a deep deep idp league. He gave up on plays, took terrible angles, and seemed disinterested in hustling when plays went away from him. This team hit a wall that's hard to understand. Doesn't make sense. If it's any consolation, you had weeks to prepare for the collapse. Cowboy fans just got shocked by theirs.

I hate blaming coaches for bad results most of the time. Seems like the "too easy" explanation when players are the ones making most of the mistakes. But he lost this locker room somehow. I am curious to know why. Seemed like they rallied around him and his personality.

C.J. Gardner-Johnson really burning those bridges. It's going to be a long day on Twitter for him at the end of the season if the DET defense doesn't meet those qualifiers that decide his contract incentives.
I will say I was one of the main guys on here that REALLY wanted him back on the team. Definitely a player you usually love to have on your team and hate when he's not on your team. But now attacking fans lol, safe to say we dodged a bullet w this psycho.

C.J. Gardner-Johnson really burning those bridges. It's going to be a long day on Twitter for him at the end of the season if the DET defense doesn't meet those qualifiers that decide his contract incentives.
:oldunsure:
Dude was carted off the practice field today.

Cue Jerry Seinfeld "That's a shame."

He’s not wrong honestly some of the fan base is too much especially those from talk radio. Fans are a tickled bunch a lot of times. There’s a lot of idiots amongst us abd I think instead of getting upset and defensive we need to do more to stop it.

Maybe so but you don't say that. Comes off as a total ***. I'm glad he's no longer on the team
🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say I was one of the main guys on here that REALLY wanted him back on the team. Definitely a player you usually love to have on your team and hate when he's not on your team. But now attacking fans lol, safe to say we dodged a bullet w this psycho.

He’s not wrong honestly some of the fan base is too much especially those from talk radio. Fans are a tickled bunch a lot of times. There’s a lot of idiots amongst us abd I think instead of getting upset and defensive we need to do more to stop it.

Maybe so but you don't say that. Comes off as a total ***. I'm glad he's no longer on the team
🤷🏻‍♂️
@Deamon

🤷🏻‍♂️
@Deamon

Users who are viewing this thread