What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (11 Viewers)

Great win, regardless of what happens next week, honestly, if for no other reason that it's giving Pickett an opportunity to build experience in tight "must win" situations. And if he's their guy, he needs to show he can put up points in situations when he must....bad OC, or not. Sticking it to Baltimore is nice too. :biggrin: Don't care if it was with or without Lamar.

These are the types of games Pickett needs to prove he can win consistently in that division. The last few weeks he's been given the opportunity to be the guy who wins games, and he's delivered. Maybe there can be a little more to Kenny than some of us had expected? Not planning any SB parades yet by any stretch, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong there. Next step for the Steelers really, really needs to be to get him a legit playcaller/coordinator.

Aside from Pickett, Harris looked fantastic running the ball. No real signs of his "iron foot syndrome" from earlier in the season at all, which is nice to see. Great concentration on that TD catch too. Warren and Harris were both running HOT all game and it paid off late.

Defense did what it needed to when it counted, and I get they wanted to dare Huntley to beat them with his arm, but letting Andrews run free 8-12 yards deep every time he releases is NOT a recipe for long-term success.

These are the types of games Pickett needs to prove he can win consistently in that division. The last few weeks he's been given the opportunity to be the guy who wins games, and he's delivered. Maybe there can be a little more to Kenny than some of us had expected? Not planning any SB parades yet by any stretch, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong there. Next step for the Steelers really, really needs to be to get him a legit playcaller/coordinator.

Aside from Pickett, Harris looked fantastic running the ball. No real signs of his "iron foot syndrome" from earlier in the season at all, which is nice to see. Great concentration on that TD catch too. Warren and Harris were both running HOT all game and it paid off late.

Defense did what it needed to when it counted, and I get they wanted to dare Huntley to beat them with his arm, but letting Andrews run free 8-12 yards deep every time he releases is NOT a recipe for long-term success.
i think we also need to recognize the improvement of the offensive line, particularly in run blocking.

It still has a ways to go but they are light years ahead of where they were last season and the start of 2022

Steelers really were in every game other than Bills and Eagles. Team isn’t as far away as the record looks.
They're ~24th in point differential, it's a better argument that they're farther away than the record looks.
Not at all. They were blown out in 2 games. Watt was absent in both of those games. They’re a complete different defense with Watt on the field.
So? They've won games by 3, 2, 3, 3, and 3. You can't just say those were all sure things and "only if" they won some of the close games that they lost.
When did I say “only if” they had won some close games? You brought up point differential. I brought up that the point differential was driven by 2 games against great teams where the Steelers didn’t have one of the best defensive players in the league. Every other game has been close. They’re not at all far from being a pretty good team (especially if Pickett keeps maturing).
The post I quoted suggested that the Steelers are a better team than their record indicates because they've been "close" in most of their games. I disagree and used point differential as just one example why. You can't just take away the 2 blowouts because they happened, but even if you did, the fact is they've won more very close games than they've lost. Another way to look at it is they have a bad offense and a mediocre defense yet they have a .500 record are are still technically in the playoff picture. It all points to their record exceeding their level of play this year IMO.

Sure, Watt is a great player, but he certainly wasn't going make a difference in the outcome of the Bills or Eagles games nor would they have flipped the point differential gap if he played. Regardless, he didn't play, so it's moot. Similarly, you could say "if the offensive line played better", or "if Canada was fired", but those things didn't happen. With the way that team that was on the field this year has played, to me it's more a below .500 team than above and they've overachieved not under. It isn't a dig, actually a positive for Tomlin.

I don't disagree that they're not far from being a pretty good team but they aren't there yet. Yes, the biggest factor is going to be Pickett's development (or lack thereof).

Steelers really were in every game other than Bills and Eagles. Team isn’t as far away as the record looks.
They're ~24th in point differential, it's a better argument that they're farther away than the record looks.
Not at all. They were blown out in 2 games. Watt was absent in both of those games. They’re a complete different defense with Watt on the field.
So? They've won games by 3, 2, 3, 3, and 3. You can't just say those were all sure things and "only if" they won some of the close games that they lost.
When did I say “only if” they had won some close games? You brought up point differential. I brought up that the point differential was driven by 2 games against great teams where the Steelers didn’t have one of the best defensive players in the league. Every other game has been close. They’re not at all far from being a pretty good team (especially if Pickett keeps maturing).
The post I quoted suggested that the Steelers are a better team than their record indicates because they've been "close" in most of their games. I disagree and used point differential as just one example why. You can't just take away the 2 blowouts because they happened, but even if you did, the fact is they've won more very close games than they've lost. Another way to look at it is they have a bad offense and a mediocre defense yet they have a .500 record are are still technically in the playoff picture. It all points to their record exceeding their level of play this year IMO.

Sure, Watt is a great player, but he certainly wasn't going make a difference in the outcome of the Bills or Eagles games nor would they have flipped the point differential gap if he played. Regardless, he didn't play, so it's moot. Similarly, you could say "if the offensive line played better", or "if Canada was fired", but those things didn't happen. With the way that team that was on the field this year has played, to me it's more a below .500 team than above and they've overachieved not under. It isn't a dig, actually a positive for Tomlin.

I don't disagree that they're not far from being a pretty good team but they aren't there yet. Yes, the biggest factor is going to be Pickett's development (or lack thereof).
Well my only point was that they’re not that far off from being a pretty good team. With Watt in the lineup, the defense is above average. This is simply how much of a difference he makes on the field. He elevates everyone else’s game. Just look at their record historically with him in the lineup vs out of the lineup. I’ve seen enough in Pickett the last couple weeks to believe that he has the potential to be a good QB. His stats are hampered right now by the vanilla play calling. Will he improve with a new coordinator and a more complex scheme? I have no idea. He does seem to demonstrate good poise and can make tough throws inside and outside of the pocket. He also makes some boneheaded decisions and holds onto the ball too long. That will hopefully improve over time.

Also, I’m talking about potential to be a good team (not great). They still have tons of holes in the secondary, linebacker, D line and O line (although they have improved throughout the course of the season). I’m not delusional to think that they’re in the same class as a Buffalo or KC. But I also don’t think they’re anywhere close to being a bottom feeder in the AFC. Pickett is cheap right now so they really need to hit big on the upcoming draft/free agency.

I do like they are pulling these games out, and Pickett has shown some game in the last two comebacks, but I'm also aware what type of offensive teams they are squeaking by. In the last 6 games, they've played some of the worst teams on the offensive side of things. The one decent offense was led by a QB who historically can't play in the cold, and couldn't hit wide open WRs all game long, including the last play. The last 4 top-10 offenses they've faced ended up in losses, and 3 of them were not even close.

There are 5 current playoff teams in the AFC that would wipe the floor if the Steelers showed up in their house with this offense, (KC,BUF, CIN, JAX, and SD). My hope is that they can drastically upgrade the offensive coaching, but my fear is that the current offense is what coach MT actually believes will take them far. This current success will feed his old school belief system, and they'll show up in the playoffs for another embarrassing beating.

Give Kenny a chance, and hire a proper OC and QB mentor.

I do like they are pulling these games out, and Pickett has shown some game in the last two comebacks, but I'm also aware what type of offensive teams they are squeaking by. In the last 6 games, they've played some of the worst teams on the offensive side of things. The one decent offense was led by a QB who historically can't play in the cold, and couldn't hit wide open WRs all game long, including the last play. The last 4 top-10 offenses they've faced ended up in losses, and 3 of them were not even close.

There are 5 current playoff teams in the AFC that would wipe the floor if the Steelers showed up in their house with this offense, (KC,BUF, CIN, JAX, and SD). My hope is that they can drastically upgrade the offensive coaching, but my fear is that the current offense is what coach MT actually believes will take them far. This current success will feed his old school belief system, and they'll show up in the playoffs for another embarrassing beating.

Would that be the same CIN that lost to the Steelers once this season and beat them by 7 the other time?

Would that be the same CIN that lost to the Steelers once this season and beat them by 7 the other time?
The game where they scored to make it a respectable 7 pt loss with 49 seconds left LOL. Same game with no Chase, and Mixon leaving early. Yet, Burrow still planted 355 yards and 4 TDs on them.

CIN buries PIT in the playoffs, as would any of the other 4 listed. ***(I do give them a slightly better shot vs a division rival though)***

***they could beat other average teams like NE, NYJ, BAL, TEN, and MIA***

Last edited:
I believe their offense can move the ball against any team in the NFL. The problem is they can't seal the deal once they get in or close to the redzone. Even when they do score a TD it is usually on a broken play as was the case last night.

This offense needs to get much more efficient in the redzone and I attribute most of their problems to the offensive coordinator.

It is really annoying how long it takes for the NFL to let us know when Week 18 games are going to be played
I don’t think there was any doubt GB would get the prime time game.
I would think if Cincy loses then it's a lock that Cincy and Baltimore is the SNF game. This is why I think the league is waiting and it makes perfect sense to me.
Ha, that's about as quickly a proven wrong post I've made in some time.

I'm surprised, but you are right Blick and it's Det vs GB on SNF.

Obviously would like to see the Steelers make the playoffs but am realistic that the odds are still not good.

All I am hoping for is that things play out so that we are still alive going into next week.
If I picked each of the three games individually, I would pick Jets, Bills, and Steelers.

Here we go Steelers, here we go. Pittsburgh's going to to the Superbowl

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin on Damar Hamlin:

"It is a really personal thing for me, being a Pittsburgher, and that young man being a Pittsburgher. I've known that guy probably since he was about 12. Just got a lot of respect and love for him as a human being. ... It's just an honor to get to know young people like that. I've had an opportunity to express that to him whenever I see him. ... I've got a lot of love for that young man."

The news coming out makes it sound like Hamlin's condition has improved from where it was, but is still very serious.

It feels so different because this happened on the field. Thankfully either the NFL has learned from past mistakes or teams are refusing to play ball with their plans. The NFL didn't give any accommodations when Sean Taylor was murdered mid-season or when the Chiefs player committed suicide in front of the coach and GM the day before a game. They made the Steelers finish the game after Shazier's injury...

Sounds like nobody has a clue how the next few weeks are going to play out in the NFL. One suggestion I read on PFT was interesting. Play this weeks games as normal. Next week, play the first week of the NFC playoffs and have the Bengals/Bills finish their game. Following week, have the AFC play their first round of playoff games. Then resume the playoffs like it's the 2nd week of the playoffs and skip the bye between championship games and super bowl.

Some draft talk, not sure if he's going to enter the draft this year, but Ladd McConkey feels like the perfect fit for what we need. After watching Georgia this year he looks like the 2nd coming of Hunter Renfrow. A slot WR that is seemingly always open at the most clutch times. He's a redshirt sophomore, so he has the eligibility to enter the draft but not sure what he'll do. Haven't seen projections for where he'd go, but I'd assume somewhere rounds 4-6.

With Claypool and Juju gone, it feels like a speedster and a slot WR would really round out our WR corps. Calvin Austin should end up being the speedster if he can bounce back next year from his injury, so slot is the priority.

Based on the recent years of success by teams that invested heavily in WR talent, it wouldn't be shocking if the Steelers used a high pick on WR, even with the larger holes elsewhere on the team. The depth is pretty poor right now. Only signed WRs are Diontae, Pickens, Austin, and Gunner. With Gunner no longer doing returns, and Austin expected to take over returns, I'd be surprised if Gunner isn't cut for cap reasons.

If I'm KC/Buf/Cin, I'm really hoping the Steelers don't find a way into the playoffs. Winning 6 of their last 8, and getting clear improvement at QB, and the defense playing so much better with Watt back, I think this isn't a team I'd want to play in the playoffs if they can make it.

Playoffs aren't farfetched either, just need to beat Cleveland, have Buffalo to beat NE (in a game Buffalo still is playing more a potential bye) and the Jets to beat Miami (who are likely starting Skylar Thompson at QB)

I think the Steelers might be the 4th best team in the AFC right now.

If I'm KC/Buf/Cin, I'm really hoping the Steelers don't find a way into the playoffs. Winning 6 of their last 8, and getting clear improvement at QB, and the defense playing so much better with Watt back, I think this isn't a team I'd want to play in the playoffs if they can make it.

Playoffs aren't farfetched either, just need to beat Cleveland, have Buffalo to beat NE (in a game Buffalo still is playing more a potential bye) and the Jets to beat Miami (who are likely starting Skylar Thompson at QB)

Last month or so has been fun, but let's not get crazy here. The top 3 in the AFC aren't scared in the least of the Steelers. Allen Mahomes Burrow can pick apart the defense, this isn't Derek Carr and Tyler Huntley we are talking about here, and the offense doesn't have the fire power to keep up with them.

Definitely possible to get in and definitely possible to give their first round opponent a game, but they will be heavy underdogs wherever they go. I hope you are right and I am wrong, but the top 3 are on a different level currently.

They need a killer instinct on offense. The ability to make splash plays and RZ efficiency is severely lacking. No top team is scared of this offense, and the defense gets picked apart by Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow easily. I have zero doubts Lawrence and Herbert would struggle too much as well. This road has been traveled before, and getting excited beating other bad offenses can lead some to believe more than the reality of things. Team is 23rd in yards, (same as last year), and 29th in scoring, (worse than last year).

Need a new OC, and one who is QB friendly and will utilize the field beyond 10 yards. Next season is vital for Pickett's growth.

Last month or so has been fun, but let's not get crazy here. The top 3 in the AFC aren't scared in the least of the Steelers. Allen Mahomes Burrow can pick apart the defense, this isn't Derek Carr and Tyler Huntley we are talking about here, and the offense doesn't have the fire power to keep up with them.

Definitely possible to get in and definitely possible to give their first round opponent a game, but they will be heavy underdogs wherever they go. I hope you are right and I am wrong, but the top 3 are on a different level currently.
I mean, I did say they were 4th best in the AFC. I actually think of those top-3, Buffalo would be the best matchup for Pittsburgh. I know they beat Cincy in week 1, but I wouldn't be counting on 5 Burrow turnovers again.

The news coming out makes it sound like Hamlin's condition has improved from where it was, but is still very serious.

It feels so different because this happened on the field. Thankfully either the NFL has learned from past mistakes or teams are refusing to play ball with their plans. The NFL didn't give any accommodations when Sean Taylor was murdered mid-season or when the Chiefs player committed suicide in front of the coach and GM the day before a game. They made the Steelers finish the game after Shazier's injury...

Sounds like nobody has a clue how the next few weeks are going to play out in the NFL. One suggestion I read on PFT was interesting. Play this weeks games as normal. Next week, play the first week of the NFC playoffs and have the Bengals/Bills finish their game. Following week, have the AFC play their first round of playoff games. Then resume the playoffs like it's the 2nd week of the playoffs and skip the bye between championship games and super bowl.
So with that proposal, every team that advances past the WC round would get a bye? The 1 seed would get 2 weeks off? I feel like that may actually hurt the 1 seed in the NFC because it would give their opponent extra time to rest. There really is no good solution. What a mess.

So with that proposal, every team that advances past the WC round would get a bye? The 1 seed would get 2 weeks off? I feel like that may actually hurt the 1 seed in the NFC because it would give their opponent extra time to rest. There really is no good solution. What a mess.
Yeah, the NFC teams would get a week off, and the 1 seed would get 2 weeks off. Not ideal, but at this point there doesn't seem to be an ideal.

I about fell out of my chair when I realized the Steelers are still in the Playoff hunt final week of the season.
If you had asked me when they were struggling early in the season, I would have chuckled.

The team still needs a lot of things but it has to feel good after what felt like a long tough and painfully slow season at times and you realize you aren't that far off.
Guess all that Mike Tomlin coaching elsewhere garbage can be burned in a trash can again. So many teams would love for him to become available

Great job as usual, this was a rebuild year you say?

I'm seeing that Miami is likely going to start Skylar Thompson at QB Week 18 vs the Jets. Good thing or bad?
Kid looked great in the preseason, had many of us wondering if he might be the answer in the event of Tua not being available.
I can make a bunch of excuses why Skylar hasn't been great when he entered games this season, much of it was he got no 1st team reps all week typically when he was called upon. I can also tell you he suffered a nasty injury on his throwing hand vs the Jets as I recall.

Tua was ranked 6th overall in 2022 by PFN on Dec 7th, less than a month ago

Yeah, Tua being OUT is a great thing for Steelers fans and a pretty miserable feeling for Dolphins' fans, just telling you how most of us feel.

Good luck this weekend
Cheers!

Now there's buzz about a new proposal. The game wouldn't be finished between the Bengals and Bills, instead, an 8th playoff team would be added to both AFC and NFC and the bye would be eliminated for the 1 seed.

If that happens, would we just need the Pats OR Miami to lose to make it? (if we win)
Also, of the 3 things that need to happen for us to get in, it still feels like beating the Browns is the hardest part.

Game cancelled and possible implications for AFC championship depending on week 18 games. Bills still have something to play for so hopefully they beat the Pats. I think the biggest concern is still our ability to beat the Browns, then Jets/Dolphins, then Pats/Bills.

Flacco to start for the Jets! I think that gives us a better chance than Wilson.
Me too. I think it would be great if a former Baltimore Raven helps the Steelers sneak into the playoffs.

Of course the Bills have to beat the Pats and I am not taking anything for granted vs the Browns

The Steelers were 3 and 7. Their offensive line was terrible. Their defense was terrible particularly at stopping the run. Some folks here, long time detractors of Mike Tomlin, were calling for his firing.

They ended up winning 6 of their last 7, and Tomlin has yet another winning season. Not only that I am convinced that this is the best coaching job of his career. They didn’t make the playoffs but what a turnaround. I really hope the critics shut up now. The Steelers have one of the best coaches in the NFL. Time for the fans to realize it.

And Pickett showed lots of good things down the stretch. He still has things to learn and improve, but I’m encouraged
I don't get this narrative. I think he looks terrible. He skys balls constantly. He is bailed out by guys making crazy catches a lot. The terrible redzone play is also on Canada, but really does reflect on Pickett. He finished the season with 6 TD passes. That is a good game for a top QB

Buffalo should have a lot to play for next week so I can see them beating the Pats. I do think the Steelers will also win. I’m nervous about the Dolphins game. Jets look awful.
I don't expect Tua and Miami isn't the same team without him
Well I was right about Miami not being able to do anything, but was wrong to trust Flacco.

Never really understood why anyone was happy Flacco was going to be attempting to be the guy to beat Miami anyway, honestly. Dude is beyond cooked. Yeah, Wilson sucks too, but still.... Flacco.

And Pickett showed lots of good things down the stretch. He still has things to learn and improve, but I’m encouraged
I don't get this narrative. I think he looks terrible. He skys balls constantly. He is bailed out by guys making crazy catches a lot. The terrible redzone play is also on Canada, but really does reflect on Pickett. He finished the season with 6 TD passes. That is a good game for a top QB
I didn’t get to watch today’s game but he did not look horrible against Baltimore. I’m not saying he’s going to be a star but he showed enough to give me some optimism for next year. He is still just a rookie after all.

Buffalo should have a lot to play for next week so I can see them beating the Pats. I do think the Steelers will also win. I’m nervous about the Dolphins game. Jets look awful.
I don't expect Tua and Miami isn't the same team without him
Well I was right about Miami not being able to do anything, but was wrong to trust Flacco.

Never really understood why anyone was happy Flacco was going to be attempting to be the guy to beat Miami anyway, honestly. Dude is beyond cooked. Yeah, Wilson sucks too, but still.... Flacco.
He played well early in the year

I didn’t get to watch today’s game but he did not look horrible against Baltimore. I’m not saying he’s going to be a star but he showed enough to give me some optimism for next year. He is still just a rookie after all.
Until the final drive he was 10 for 21 for 104 yards and no TD's

Users who are viewing this thread