What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (3 Viewers)

Based on keeping Matt Canada and essentially punting on offense, it would seem that defense will be the priority. DL, ILB, CB, etc.

I mean, this is basically why Dallas sucked for so long- JJ was always chasing the "flash" instead of building a team the right way, through the trenches.

It doesn't matter who you have at WR if you can't give your QB enough time, if your play calling sucks, or if that QB can't get them the ball. Not to mention, Addison is no Chase, Pickett is no Burrow, their O-line isn't adequate, etc.

In any event, opinions may vary, but IMO WR is one of the last things they should be addressing with an early pick in this draft.
Could we pin this message and send to Pittsburgh FO?

Rumors that the Steelers could hire a "senior offensive assistant", but not sure if it's credible or just pundit speculation. My lean is to the latter, but that it would be a great decision. Hiring Frank Reich would be awesome, but not sure what the likelihood would be.

My wish is for Tomlin to relinquish his control on the offense. Franchise was in much better shape with guys like Arians and Haley running the show before both being chased away.

Tomlin's last two hand picked OC's have both been garbage.

My wish is for Tomlin to relinquish his control on the offense. Franchise was in much better shape with guys like Arians and Haley running the show before both being chased away.

I mean, did Tomlin pick either?

Big Ben picked Fichtner so he could basically call the plays. And then Dino picked Canada. Tomlin is blameless. /s

I've seen a lot of mock drafts already posted for the Steelers, from Steelers pundits and from fans on reddit. I can confirm that draft simulators are still very much in-progress. My most recent mock draft with 0 trades which I would be pretty happy with:
  • 17 - Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama
  • 32 - Zay Flowers, Slot WR, BC
  • 49 - John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
  • 80 - Jordan Battle, S, Bama
Obviously this isn't going to happen unless Anderson suffers a major injury and is caught with something incriminating. Flowers, Schmitz, and Battle are more believable at this time, but still could all go well before those picks. Center might be a surprise pick, but Cole could kick to LG and Schmitz only allowed 2 sacks in the last 2 years, and 10 QB pressures over that time. Center could definitely be upgraded, and Cole could upgrade the LG position, and be a backup C.

Battle would be positioned next to Minkah if we don't re-sign Edmunds.

A more likely pick at 17 would be one of the top CBs. There's currently 3-5 vying for the top spot.

I mean, did Tomlin pick either?

Big Ben picked Fichtner so he could basically call the plays. And then Dino picked Canada. Tomlin is blameless. /s
Don't start down that Dino alley, because we all know he never should have got that scholarship, and we all know this was payback.

Hailey was awful. He is actually very similar to Canada. Those teams could only move the ball when they went no huddle and Ben called plays. Rumors were he would often call things that weren't in Haileys playbook

I've seen a lot of mock drafts already posted for the Steelers, from Steelers pundits and from fans on reddit. I can confirm that draft simulators are still very much in-progress. My most recent mock draft with 0 trades which I would be pretty happy with:
  • 17 - Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama
  • 32 - Zay Flowers, Slot WR, BC
  • 49 - John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
  • 80 - Jordan Battle, S, Bama
Obviously this isn't going to happen unless Anderson suffers a major injury and is caught with something incriminating. Flowers, Schmitz, and Battle are more believable at this time, but still could all go well before those picks. Center might be a surprise pick, but Cole could kick to LG and Schmitz only allowed 2 sacks in the last 2 years, and 10 QB pressures over that time. Center could definitely be upgraded, and Cole could upgrade the LG position, and be a backup C.

Battle would be positioned next to Minkah if we don't re-sign Edmunds.

A more likely pick at 17 would be one of the top CBs. There's currently 3-5 vying for the top spot.

Very similar to this mock from yesterday:

Hailey was awful. He is actually very similar to Canada. Those teams could only move the ball when they went no huddle and Ben called plays. Rumors were he would often call things that weren't in Haileys playbook
I would take Haley over this simplistic route tree offense they run now.

Some draft pundits are saying that overall this is not a strong draft class, wonder if that could induce more trades in the early rounds with teams moving up for specific targets. Anthony Richardson could be targeted around our pick with some of the teams behind us trying to move up ahead of the Lions or Bucs. Would be interesting to see if we'd be willing to trade with the Ravens if they are forced to move on from Lamar.

Steelers currently have 17, 32, 49, 80, 119, 235, 242. Lost our 5th and 6th due to Witherspoon and Malik Reed. Witherspoon looked great in 2021, but turned into a pumpkin in 2022.

Also, recent rumors that the Steelers are interested in Jalen Ramsey, not sure how I feel about that. Feels like he took a step back this year and got burned against some top WRs. But, teaming him with Minkah could improve both their games. Probably not interested if it would cost us 17 & 32 & ~$25 mil per year.

Rooney non-committal on Tomlin extension. But does give him credit for the team improving throughout the season.

Says they kept Canada because he seemed to work well with Pickett, and they improved as the season went on. Continuity as well.

“They seemed to work well together,” Rooney said, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “With a new offensive coordinator, you’d start all over again. We felt there was enough there to build on.”

So we kept him because "there was enough to build on", aka 5 passing TDs in 9 games. Super. Starting all over again with a much more talented coordinator is better after year 1 than after year 2...

If Matt can't produce in year 3, then that will be a season wasted on a QB rookie contract and Pickett's development, plus an expensive D.

This gamble is a big one. Let's see how it plays out.

I do think the Bengals got kind of screwed on some calls last night, but overall still happy they have 0 shot at a Super Bowl this year. The lack of holding calls against the Chiefs was pretty egregious.

I do think the Bengals got kind of screwed on some calls last night, but overall still happy they have 0 shot at a Super Bowl this year. The lack of holding calls against the Chiefs was pretty egregious.
I did see them get away with some calls, but to be completely honest, that is seen every week.

Bottom line is the Bengals could not beat a one legged QB with 3 WRs injured and 3 rookies in the secondary once Snead went down first series. They had a chance on their last drive before the punt return and failed. They had a chance to take things to OT and failed by pushing Mahomes who had both feet out of bounds.

TBH....I don't care if refs just egregiously blow calls to keep Cincinnati from ever winning a SB. At least while Mike Brown is alive, anyway. Eff THAT guy.

This admittance is actually embarrassing and depressing at the same time, but not surprising at all.

I missed the first half and a bit of the 3rd quarter so I can't say if the Bengals got the raw end of the deal but the out-of-bounds hit to Mahomes was a legit call.

I missed the first half and a bit of the 3rd quarter so I can't say if the Bengals got the raw end of the deal but the out-of-bounds hit to Mahomes was a legit call.
The OB hit was definitely the right call. Mostly refs missed blatant holding and block in the back calls. But, they typically just allow holding to happen without calling it. So I'm not sure they missed it, so much as ignored it.

Also, it feels like they let Tackles get a half second head start on everyone else at the snap. Every single play the tackle jumps before the ball is snapped and it's almost never called. Just another reason why going all-in on defense might not be the best idea, since they're hamstrung by penalties compared with offense.

This admittance is actually embarrassing and depressing at the same time, but not surprising at all.

It really didn't mean much to admit it. It was very obvious this was not part of the offense.

Was that a pin dropping?

As a fan, what do you see as being the three highest priorities for the Steelers this off-season in any and all facets of their organizational performance?

1. Hire an offensive assistant, someone like Marcus Brady, to provide input on game planning and play calling. I don't have faith in the Matt Canada offense and think there needs to be someone else in the room who can push back against the predictability and simplicity.
  2. Draft BPA at least until the late rounds. The Steelers have tons of needs/areas that could use improvement. At this point targeting specific positions and reaching on players would be a mistake. Ideally, we'll get some really great players in the trenches to help us on O-line and D-line, but we need DL, OG, OT, ILB, CB, S, WR, OLB, QB, etc. The list is longer than our number of picks, so just take the very best talents with each pick and in a few years I think that will really pay off.
  3. Have our free agent signings outperform their contracts. We have a couple FAs that we'll hopefully be able to re-sign, especially at CB and S. Any players we bring in from the outside, we really need ot maximize our value because we don't have tons of cap space to work with (unless we cut and restructure a lot).

Stop trying to band aid the line and go get yourself two bookends to protect Kenny. Invest in it and things will improve.

That's just to start, but for me it's the utmost priority.

Reports from the Senior Bowl have Tomlin and Front Office staff basically staring at the offensive and defensive like players.

Tomlin watched Willis like a hawk last year. Soooo....????
I want OL first, at least get 1 great OL in there. After that, I dont care who they take or when, just make improvements. Pick 32 should be a starter or first guy in a rotation(DL). I wouldnt mind 2 OL, reshape the left side of the line with 2 top guys. Improve depth if Dotson and Chuks are backups. Get rid of Greene.
But no one knows how they value the current guys, like Robinson, do they see him as a starting iLB? Do they like Wallace and Sutton? Do they have to keep Chuks? Would they move Moore to RT if they draft a LT? If they dont resign Gentry, they will need TE depth. So many questions to be answered during FA.

Why is everyone so convinced OL is the biggest need? It isn't even close. Seriously, where is this coming from? This is an average line with no clear holes in it. Cole is the weakest link. They are not going to draft a T in this class who will out play Moore next year. They would likely need to reach to draft a T in the first. They aren't likely to draft one at 17 who would ever make it to average.

Actual needs:
They currently have no starting caliber CB's signed.
They have nothing at NT and need to draft a DE too.
The MLB's are both absolutely terrible, and 1 is going to walk.

Would they be improved with a couple of probowl OLmen starting? Yes clearly, but they would be improved more with a probowl CB. It is a trash OL year in this draft. It is a great CB class. They should probably draft 2.

Was that a pin dropping?

As a fan, what do you see as being the three highest priorities for the Steelers this off-season in any and all facets of their organizational performance?
Fun PFF stat. Pickett Passing QBR with a clean pocket was 72.2 good enough to rank 36 of 50 quarterbacks rated.

1. QB - be open to taking a QB in ANY round if one falls in the draft. Do your homework and be ready to strike.
2. Offensive Coordinator - Steelers have gone all in with the defense wins championships concept spending less than any other NFL franchise on offense. Need genius behind the curtain to overcome lack of spending on the other side of the ball.
3. Learn from mistakes. Stop reaching in the 1st based off need. This year, OL is still a huge need but the draft class is weak. Quit over valuing RB position via draft (Mendenhall, Najee Harris).

Why is everyone so convinced OL is the biggest need? It isn't even close. Seriously, where is this coming from? This is an average line with no clear holes in it. Cole is the weakest link. They are not going to draft a T in this class who will out play Moore next year. They would likely need to reach to draft a T in the first. They aren't likely to draft one at 17 who would ever make it to average.

Actual needs:
They currently have no starting caliber CB's signed.
They have nothing at NT and need to draft a DE too.
The MLB's are both absolutely terrible, and 1 is going to walk.

Would they be improved with a couple of probowl OLmen starting? Yes clearly, but they would be improved more with a probowl CB. It is a trash OL year in this draft. It is a great CB class. They should probably draft 2.
They definitely improved as the year went on, but I still think that Dotson did not play well for the majority of the year. Also, I agree that Cole could be replaced and center could be improved. The center from the senior bowl from Minnesota (John Michael Schmitz) is a good candidate in the 2/3 range. We could take him at 49 and push Cole to Left Guard. I think that alone could significantly improve our O-line. Then we can use 17, 32, etc to focus on other needs.

~5 cornerbacks grade out as top 17 players, we should probably just pick the best one left assuming we don't sign Sutton and trade for Ramsey (floated in articles). NT/DL does feel like a big need with Alualu just not playing like he was pre-injury and Adams playing worse than the short stretch where he looked great 2 seasons ago.

ILB is a need, even if the rumors that they really like Robinson are true. Jack only has 1 year left on his contract, and we don't currently have a 3rd ILB. Also, I think they draft a WR with one of the top 4 picks. I just think they want to replace and hopefully improve upon the production lost by trading Chase.

Right, playing better is not playing well. OL needs improved, bottom line. Not saying they need to reach, but if one of the top OT are at 17, take one and smile.

Moore was tied for 8th with most sacks allowed with 7 for all Tackles, and 4th for hits allowed with 10. His first season he allowed 7 and 11, so I doubt there was much improvement. He was also tied for 9th in penalties with 10, climbed from 6 in 2021.

Basically, if Johnson Jr drops to 17........you run, not walk to the podium.

Moore was tied for 8th with most sacks allowed with 7 for all Tackles, and 4th for hits allowed with 10. His first season he allowed 7 and 11, so I doubt there was much improvement. He was also tied for 9th in penalties with 10, climbed from 6 in 2021.

Sacks allowed is not a particularly useful stat to evaluate olineman. Pickett held on to the ball longer than anyone but Jones or Fields and they are both running threats.

There is also no chance Johnson slips to 17 unless there is a gas mask video yet to leak. If he did he would almost certainly be BPA.

Users who are viewing this thread