What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 3-1: MNF: DC and the Lions finally beat Seattle!! (19 Viewers)

Campbell was asked if the Lions had looked into Ndamukong Suh. His response was "Yeah, Brad's looked into everything. We haven't overlooked anyone."

Lions in top-10 of Pro Bowl fan voting at their positions (NFL - the ballot combines AFC/NFC):
  • Goff 9th
  • St Brown 4th
  • LaPorta 4th
  • Sewell 4th
  • Ragnow 4th
  • Hutchinson 7th
  • McQuaide 10th

PFF ranks (players with 20% snaps - tell me if you see a pattern):

Highest Graded DI (out of 135)

6. McNeil 529 snaps 88.1​
37. Buggs 142 snaps 66.9​
58. John Cominsky 397 snaps 61.2​
110. Benito Jones 410 snaps 48.0​

Highest Graded Edge (out of 124)

6. Hutchinson 686 snaps 90.7​
26. Okwara 166 snaps 77.6​
59. Paschal 193 snaps 66.3​
97. Harris 283 snaps 56.3​

Highest Graded LB (out of 85)

19. Anzalone 681 snaps 76.6​
57. Barnes 507 snaps 62.7​
78. Campbell 435 snaps 52.4​
Highest Graded CB (out of 130)

29. Branch 537 snaps 71.4​
87. Sutton 750 snaps 59.7​
89. Jacobs 689 snaps 59.0​
97. Harris 184 snaps 44.9​
Highest Graded S (out of 97)

57. Walker 537 snaps 62.6​
72. Joseph 614 snaps 58.4​
Highest Graded QB (out of 39)

10. Goff 84.0​
Highest Graded WR (out of 101)

6. St Brown 88.6​
29. Raymond 75.1​
49. Reynolds 69.8​
Highest Graded RB (out of 61)

5. Montgomery 83.6​
23. Gibbs 73.0​
Highest Graded TE (out of 41)

7. LaPorta 74.7​
Highest Graded T (out of 85)

1. Sewell 90.0​
20. Decker 74.8​
Highest Graded G (out of 85)

9. Glasgow 74.2​
17. Vaitai 68.3​
45. Jackson 59.3​
56. Awosika 55.3​
80. Sorsdal 41.8​
Highest Graded C (out of 39)

3. Ragnow 84.2​

Weekly Offensive Line Rankings:
  1. Eagles
  2. Lions
  3. Ravens
  4. Falcons
  5. Cowboys
  6. Broncos
  7. Colts
  8. Dolphins
  9. Vikings
  10. Bills
  11. Texans
  12. Chiefs

Practice Report:

Detroit Lions

PlayerPositionInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status
Frank RagnowCknee/back/toeNP
Malcolm RodriguezLBankleLP
Alex AnzaloneLBhandFP
Hendon HookerQBkneeFP

Dinking around the various bets on the Lions this weekend and found a fun flier. I've bet Brock Wright +1200 for an anytime TD; since bet down to +1100. The chance of weather is what had me taking a first look. Then, I looked at the last Bears game where they held LaPorta to 3/18 & the The Chargers who "held" him to 4/40.; with a Wright TD in that game Coming off a huge week, I could see the Bears keying on LaPorta again, leaving Wright as an attractive outlet around the goal line. I also continue to bet The Lions D to score a TD as they are due (if Branch hadn't tipped the ball late last week, there was a HUGE chance for a pick 6).

routes run Week 11 CHI at DET (targets)
  1. ARSB 37 (11)
  2. LaPorta 34 (5)
  3. Josh 27 (2)
  4. Jamo 25 (3)
  5. Gibbs 21 (6)
  6. Kalif 12 (2)
  7. Monty 11 (2)
  8. DPJ 2 (1)
  9. Brock Wright 0 (0)*
*11 snaps, 8 run blocking 3 pass pro

On the season Brock has 12 targets, 11 receptions, and has stayed in to pass pro block 41 times. They'll never see it coming.

Goff (3 INT) had a PFF grade of 47.6 in Week 11, his lowest of the season. The lowest offensive grade was Sorsdal at 45.4, he gave up 4 pressures and graded 37.1 in pass pro. Last week Colby's pass pro grade was 82.1.

The Lions gave up 12 pressures in Week 11, 25 in Week 12, and tied a season low with 6 in Week 13. That was the 6th time this year Detroit has allowed 10 or fewer pressures: at KC (6), ATL (7), at GB (7), CAR (7), at LAC (8). The Lions are 6-0 in those games.

Weather should be fine. Dry, partly cloudy, 12-13 mph winds, 37 game time (28 wind chill.)

Goff is 7-3 outdoors the last two seasons and played well in all five of their cold games (three between 34-38 + 20 in CAR and 21 in the GB finale.)

Ragnow (knee) still out, likely Glasgow at C and Sorsdal at RG this week

Rodrigo (ankle) was limited but should be good to go Sunday

everyone else practicing in full including Irvin (practice squad isn’t required to be included, but he was out yesterday, back to work today)

Bears Thursday injury report

No practice
  • WR Equanimeous St. Brown (pectoral)
  • TE Marcedes Lewis (rest)
Limited practice
  • DL Yannick Ngakoue (knee)
Full practice
  • OL Larry Borom (illness)
  • RB D’Onta Foreman (ankle)
  • DB Tyrique Stevenson (ankle)
  • LB Noah Sewell (knee)

everyone else practicing in full including Irvin (practice squad isn’t required to be included, but he was out yesterday, back to work today)
I'm interested to see how Irvin does going forward. It sure looks like he has something left in the tank.

With James Houston returning soon, adding him and Irvin opposite Hutchinson could have a big impact on the pass rush and defense as a whole.

I’d love to think that MCDC is holding something back for the playoff run. These close victories against marginal teams are nerve-racking.

Since Week 7, the Lions run offense ranks:

- 4th in yards (903)
- 3rd in rushing TDs (10)
- 2nd in YPC (5.3)
- 2nd in EPA
- 2nd in DVOA
- 7th in success rate

Weather should be fine. Dry, partly cloudy, 12-13 mph winds, 37 game time (28 wind chill.)

Goff is 7-3 outdoors the last two seasons and played well in all five of their cold games (three between 34-38 + 20 in CAR and 21 in the GB finale.)
Yes, he just needs to stay clean, unlike the home dome game vs the bears that he still found a way to win despite all the turnovers.

No practice
Limited practice
Full practice
  • LB Noah Sewell (knee)

Hard to believe Mercedes Lewis is still playing TE, has to be almost on Medicare by now.

No practice
Limited practice
Full practice
  • LB Noah Sewell (knee)

Hard to believe Mercedes Lewis is still playing TE, has to be almost on Medicare by now.

Back in the day he was a great waiver wire pickup when you were desperate for some TE points.

routes run Week 11 CHI at DET (targets)
  1. ARSB 37 (11)
  2. LaPorta 34 (5)
  3. Josh 27 (2)
  4. Jamo 25 (3)
  5. Gibbs 21 (6)
  6. Kalif 12 (2)
  7. Monty 11 (2)
  8. DPJ 2 (1)
  9. Brock Wright 0 (0)*
*11 snaps, 8 run blocking 3 pass pro

On the season Brock has 12 targets, 11 receptions, and has stayed in to pass pro block 41 times. They'll never see it coming.
Totally confirming my flier :towelwave:. Hedging my bet a bit for a further flier, DraftKings has Brock's catch O/A at .5, so I've bet his over. Just one catch puts me above even between the 2 bets.

Surprisingly, the Detroit Lions are only elevating an offensive linemen for the Chicago Bears game (to bring them to 8 OL which is minimum.)

Bruce Irvin nor Quinton Bohanna were not elevated or signed to the 53-man.

Make it make sense.

Earlier in the week, the Detroit Lions quietly signed cornerback Kindle Vildor from the practice squad to their 53-man roster in a move that was overshadowed by placing defensive tackle Alim McNeill on injured reserve.

It’s an eyebrow-raising move, considering many expected defensive tackle Quinton Bohanna to receive the promotion given the positional need and the fact that Bohanna has been elevated to the active roster a maximum of three times already.

Surprisingly, the Detroit Lions are only elevating an offensive linemen for the Chicago Bears game (to bring them to 8 OL which is minimum.)

Make it make sense.

Wow....that is strange. Bruce Irvin was the highlight of the defense with just 11 snaps.

Make it make sense.

Does that mean both are inactive? Both have been making plays. Bohanna is a giant.

Looks like Martin will not get much or any PT this season. Was watching some highlights of him and then read his combine grade.
Wonder what it was that Holmes saw to make Lions move up to draft him in third. Space eater maybe? Said he had limited chase speed and not enough quickness top get to the QB.

Graded 5.9

5.80-5.99 - Average backup or special-teamer

Make it make sense.

Earlier in the week, Dan said Bruce Irvin should get more playing time.
Saturday they chose not to activate him. ??????????
Does not compute

Make it make sense.

Earlier in the week, Dan said Bruce Irvin should get more playing time.
Saturday they chose not to activate him. ??????????
Does not compute

He is fighting an ankle injury. I think they want him healthy and in better game shape and have a better understanding of the defenses. They like him.

Second half possessions:
  1. 3 plays, 4 yards, punt
  2. 3 plays, 7 yards, punt
  3. 3 plays, -1 yard, punt
  4. 2 plays, 6 yards, lost fumble
  5. 4 plays, 5 yards, downs
  6. 11 plays, 37 yards, downs
  7. 5 plays, 13 yards, INT
31 plays, 71 yards, 2 turnovers, 2 turnover on downs, 3 3-n-outs

A couple probably didn't mean that much on 4th down, but once again minus 3 on turnovers. You can't win that way.

Defense played terrible early, thereafter they were fine except when the offense put them into bad field position. 8 penalties, OL had at least 3 pre-snap, 4 sacks allowed, bad drop by Gibbs on what looked like a huge chunk play developing, ARSB with a couple drops, McQuade had his first bad snap of the season, HC lost a bad challenge. They just couldn’t get out of their own way all day.

Give Chicago credit, they prepared well, played hard, kicked our butts all day long.

Back home for Denver in 6 days.

To get his team right, Dan Campbell said he's going to have to push it more and be a little more irritable. "I can do that."

A couple of months ago the consensus was Goff had played himself into a four year extension.

No longer true.

couple of months ago the consensus was Goff had played himself into a four year extension.

No longer true
He still has 2024 left on the current contract. Not seeing a lot of downside to just letting him play through it.

Absolutely. But if he had continued at a high level they surely would have locked him up.

Think they let Jonah walk. ARSB & Alim are probably the next two extensions that get done.

Lions tried new things on defense today. Didn’t always work out but liked the way they played the last 3 quarters.

Ifeatu Melifonwu started over Tracy Walker, made some plays.

Anzalone was playing like *** - two missed tackles, defensive holding, personal foul - so they benched him. JRM replaced him & got a big sack a few plays later. Alex returned thereafter.

Benched Jerry Jacobs, brought in newly signed Kindle Vildor. He seemed to suck less, need to see the All 22.

Did a better job on Fields in the second half until the fumble. The long touchdown on 4th & 13 was just absurd. No words, don’t even know how that is even possible in that situation. The TD run on 3rd down had to have been Hutch running a stunt on his own, as soon as he cut inside I was screaming NO and Fields walked in uncontested.

Offense in the second half was as bad as the Ravens game. I don’t understand how the scheme can be elite all year and then have another no show game.

Goff with three 3 turnover games in four weeks is unacceptable.

Hoping they can turn it around and finish strong.

A couple probably didn't mean that much on 4th down, but once again minus 3 on turnovers. You can't win that way.

Defense played terrible early, thereafter they were fine except when the offense put them into bad field position. 8 penalties, OL had at least 3 pre-snap, 4 sacks allowed, bad drop by Gibbs on what looked like a huge chunk play developing, ARSB with a couple drops, McQuade had his first bad snap of the season, HC lost a bad challenge. They just couldn’t get out of their own way all day.

Give Chicago credit, they prepared well, played hard, kicked our butts all day long.

To get his team right, Dan Campbell said he's going to have to push it more and be a little more irritable. "I can do that."

A couple of months ago the consensus was Goff had played himself into a four year extension.

No longer true.

Disappointed in the loss, could not even think of a good title. In reality Da Bears should be 2-0 vs Lions this year, They pissed away the first game.

Right now Lions should not extend Goff as he is still under contrast for next season. Very thankful for what he has done for the team and the person he is in the community. Personally he is the perfect fit except...

Seems in games like today his limitations are magnified. Arm looked weak today and zero mobility. Even on some of the completions the ball was wobbly. Goff is 29 at his peak, so his arm and mobility will not get better.

Holmes drafted Hooker for a reason. Watching this year and sitting next year might be why.

watch the dots on DJ Moore's 38 yard TD

Jerry Jacobs almost immediately gives up inside leverage, by the time he flips his hips he's toast

what are our safeties even doing - what's the point of two high if neither Iffy or Kerby are helping over the top

and yes that's Aidan as the low hole dropper, Roschon Johnson doesn't even have to worry about pass pro bc JRM never finds a lane

Aidan gets held all the time and they never call it

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught just 3 of 9 targets for 21 yards. He's caught only five passes over his last two games, but his target shares have been 24% and 26.5%.

Jared Goff scored 20 or more standard fantasy points in three of his first six games this year. He's hit that mark once across his last seven.

Denver has won 6 of their last 7, with the only loss being at Houston 2 weeks ago. They also will be playing their 3rd straight road game, not sure if that really has any huge effect even with the slightly shortened week. Surprised they are a 4 point dog in Detroit and +160 on the money line to win outright.

Obviously the offense needs to once again bounce back from 3 turnovers and a putrid 13 point effort.

I got up early and watched some of the game again without emotion.

Fields is just a bad matchup for Lions. How he got out of some of those jams was unreal, and then run for a first down on what looked like a 10 yard loss. Not sure how long Fields can play like he does and it looked like he was hurting a few times on sideline.

I watched the replay this morning and on that one play that DC wanted grounding it looked like Fields knee was down right before he released the ball. Not that it would have changed the loss into a win but it was a huge play at the time.

I got up early and watched some of the game again without emotion.

Fields is just a bad matchup for Lions. How he got out of some of those jams was unreal, and then run for a first down on what looked like a 10 yard loss. Not sure how long Fields can play like he does and it looked like he was hurting a few times on sideline.

I watched the replay this morning and on that one play that DC wanted grounding it looked like Fields knee was down right before he released the ball. Not that it would have changed the loss into a win but it was a huge play at the time.
I still have no idea how that wasn't called grounding. He hadn't started his throwing motion when he got hit - he was halfway to the ground and just spiked it into the turf. I don't think I've ever seen a clearer example of what the grounding rule is supposed to prevent.

No longer true.

Disappointed in the loss, could not even think of a good title. In reality Da Bears should be 2-0 vs Lions this year, They pissed away the first game.

Right now Lions should not extend Goff as he is still under contrast for next season. Very thankful for what he has done for the team and the person he is in the community. Personally he is the perfect fit except...

Seems in games like today his limitations are magnified. Arm looked weak today and zero mobility. Even on some of the completions the ball was wobbly. Goff is 29 at his peak, so his arm and mobility will not get better.

Holmes drafted Hooker for a reason. Watching this year and sitting next year might be why.
I wouldn’t sit Hooker next year. Start the process. The best way the Lions can take advantage of their window is to use the rookie QB contract cheat code.

Goff isn’t going to take you guys where you want to go. He’s got too many limitations. Hooker’s ceiling is much higher than what Goff is capable of.

Not sure Detroit will do it, but I’d cut Goff in the offseason. I believe his cap hit is only 5 mil (correct me if I’m wrong).

Last edited:
Denver has won 6 of their last 7, with the only loss being at Houston 2 weeks ago. They also will be playing their 3rd straight road game, not sure if that really has any huge effect even with the slightly shortened week. Surprised they are a 4 point dog in Detroit and +160 on the money line to win outright.

Obviously the offense needs to once again bounce back from 3 turnovers and a putrid 13 point effort.
Betting against a team who was playing a 3rd straight road game used to be one of those betting situations that had a huge winning percentage.

Lions tried new things on defense today. Didn’t always work out but liked the way they played the last 3 quarters.

Ifeatu Melifonwu started over Tracy Walker, made some plays.

Anzalone was playing like *** - two missed tackles, defensive holding, personal foul - so they benched him. JRM replaced him & got a big sack a few plays later. Alex returned thereafter.

Benched Jerry Jacobs, brought in newly signed Kindle Vildor. He seemed to suck less, need to see the All 22.

Did a better job on Fields in the second half until the fumble. The long touchdown on 4th & 13 was just absurd. No words, don’t even know how that is even possible in that situation. The TD run on 3rd down had to have been Hutch running a stunt on his own, as soon as he cut inside I was screaming NO and Fields walked in uncontested.

Offense in the second half was as bad as the Ravens game. I don’t understand how the scheme can be elite all year and then have another no show game.

Goff with three 3 turnover games in four weeks is unacceptable.

Hoping they can turn it around and finish strong.
Hutch losing contain as mentioned on the improvised stunt, Hutch jumping offside when the Bears had no intention of running a play and Campbell’s failed 4th down again deep in our zone were key plays.

Lions mostly stopped Fields on the ground after the first quarter. Bears played very good defense there was tight coverage and little yac. Jamo looked lost again on his only target. If he is only getting one target a game he’s taking up space when La Porta and St Brown were held in check.

Being soundly defeated by both the Bears and Packers is troubling and Lions have lost their edge and intensity.
It is going to be interesting to see how they respond. They didn’t get many breaks, gave up a lot of points and committed sloppy penalties.

Goff not turning the ball over was a key to last season’s success in the second half of the season. This year the script has flipped.

It feels like the team absorbed the attitude of the fans. I know a couple weeks back I thought - heck, if we can just win the division and have a home playoff game, I’m happy. I know others felt that way too.

I still feel that way, but now I’m a little mad that it’s going to be close. And the team seems like they’ve kind of mailed it in lately, and that’s not the team we thought we had. Where’s the grit and biting? I want those guys back.

Betting against a team who was playing a 3rd straight road game used to be one of those betting situations that had a huge winning percentage.
I seem to remember that also. I guess if stuff works, at some point they start to bake that into the line. Maybe that's why I'm surprised the line isn't closer, since the Broncos have been playing so much better lately than the Lions.

With the Packers loss looks like the division is the Lions to lose, the Viking will have to win out and beat the Lions twice and with their 3rd string QB that is not going to happen. It is a long season and banking those early wins is coming in handy now.

The defense needs to tighten up someway, there is not going to be a talent infusion so different calls and schemes are needed. Hopefully Ceedy Duce gets back to bring a little fire to the D. Not sure what the story was with Bruce Irvin but Lions need him with McNeil out.

Starting this season getting a home playoff game and possible win would be a great season, that is attainable.

Early success inflated the fans hopes and in a long season roster weakness gets exposed and most teams have some holes.

Last edited:
Taylor Decker is dealing with a back injury and was listed as not practicing on their estimated injury report (the Lions had a walk-through).

That's all we need. :censored:

Penalties & turnovers are a matter of discipline not talent.

ARSB has not been reliable the last two games, needs to bounce back.

Teams are really clogging the middle passing lanes. Goff is elite on in breaking routes but teams don’t respect the outside routes.

Ran too many screens in Chicago; need to push the ball downfield Saturday.

Jamo needs more than one or two touches per game. He’s had exactly one game with more than 3 targets (the Baltimore 0/6 debacle) and has never had more than 2 touches. He’s not being double teamed, it shouldn’t be that hard to ramp up his workload. Need to expand his route tree.

Ifeatu Melifonwu played well in the last game; career high 70 snaps, outstanding in run support, decent coverage day. Jack Campbell had another solid game as did John Cominsky. JRM has a limited package but he’s been outstanding the last two weeks.

Watching the All 22 I saw some encouraging tape in what the defense was doing. Need to do a better job of tackling but I liked the changes they implemented. Hopefully they have Irvin healthy for this one.

Sounds like Decker (4 sacks allowed Week 14) is dealing with a back issue. If he can’t go versus the Broncos it will be the Lions 10th starting OL combination. Campbell seemed hopeful about Ragnow so he might be back.

Users who are viewing this thread