What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 3-1: MNF: DC and the Lions finally beat Seattle!! (13 Viewers)

I saw Buggs lumbering along with a strip sack fumble, who was it that made that sack?

BTW, game replay on NFL Network right now.

I was in the garage and Denver had the ball, came in and Lions were all celebrating. Asked my wife how did we get the ball?

She said..some fat guy took it and started running. :biggrin:

I saw Buggs lumbering along with a strip sack fumble, who was it that made that sack?

Great to have Buggs back in there tbh. Maybe some of you guys can tell me why not, but couldn’t help but think that when Buggs was ‘lumbering’ along with the ball alongside our other players, would for any reason it have been illegal for him to hand the ball off to one of our quicker guys ?! They would have been home for a TD I reckon

Jamo got the targets we’ve all been calling out for for the last 3 odd weeks so I was very happy. It’s not quite happened for him yet but he’s a danger to go to the house from any of those intermediate receptions he catches, if he can just find a little seam of space to accelerate once he’s got the ball.

Melifonwu has been excellent last two games. Feel like he’s come up with some massive crunching tackles on big downs

Great to have Buggs back in there tbh. Maybe some of you guys can tell me why not, but couldn’t help but think that when Buggs was ‘lumbering’ along with the ball alongside our other players, would for any reason it have been illegal for him to hand the ball off to one of our quicker guys ?! They would have been home for a TD I reckon

Jamo got the targets we’ve all been calling out for for the last 3 odd weeks so I was very happy. It’s not quite happened for him yet but he’s a danger to go to the house from any of those intermediate receptions he catches, if he can just find a little seam of space to accelerate once he’s got the ball.

Melifonwu has been excellent last two games. Feel like he’s come up with some massive crunching tackles on big downs
I was also hoping he would hand the ball off to the DB who was trailing him and asking for the ball. A defender can pass the ball along to another player just as long as the other player is not in front of him.

Buggs is such a showboat I doubt anyone could take that ball from him. He probably bugs Ben Johnson every week to put him in as the goal line back.

Buggs is such a showboat I doubt anyone could take that ball from him. He probably bugs Ben Johnson every week to put him in as the goal line back.

Watching the replay if the players running with Buggs turned around they could have picked up 77 on Bronco who made the tackle. 77 looked fast but then I remembered it was Buggs running.

Penei Sewell is PFF's No. 1 OT and it is not particularly close right now.

He has earned a 91.3 overall grade.

Second place is Tyron Smith at 84.0.

With Carolina beating Atlanta, the Lions will clinch a playoff spot if the Rams lose or tie vs Washington or Seattle loses or ties vs the Eagles.

As an aside, Matt Patricia will be calling defensive plays for the Eagles. They are obviously desperate. :lol:

With Carolina beating Atlanta, the Lions will clinch a playoff spot if the Rams lose or tie vs Washington or Seattle loses or ties vs the Eagles.

As an aside, Matt Patricia will be calling defensive plays for the Eagles. They are obviously desperate. :lol:

Still hoping the Eagles lose. Not worried about slipping in as a wild card, but there is still a long shot hope for the #1 seed.

Stafford - Goff trade revisited

Rams Receive:
  • Matthew Stafford (Friend of Clayton Kershaw)
Lions Receive:
  • Jared Goff
  • Ifeatu Melifonwu
  • Jameson Williams
  • Josh Paschal
  • Jahmyr Gibbs
  • Sam LaPorta
  • Brodric Martin

Goff has been very good, a borderline top 10 QB.
Gibbs is a stud, should have multiple pro-bowls in his future including this year.
LaPorta projects out to soon being the best TE in football.
Iffy has recently looked like a damn good player.
Pascal just had a pretty good game, so there is hope he can help improve our DL woes.
Martin is starting to show up as a rookie, but is still a project.
And then Jamo has slowly become an important dependable piece with upside of being one of the most electric weapon in the NFL.

The trade was the reason this complete teardown and rebuild is ahead of schedule.
We got 5 starters, all with key roles.
And two more who are young with future starter potential.
That rates right up as the biggest haul for a single player trade, clearly only trailing the obscene haul for Hershel Walker.

Niners are the only team which scares me. I mean numerous teams could trip up the Lions, but the 49ers are the only team we have like no real chance against.

The Detroit Lions have won 11 games in a season three times in the teams history (2014, 1962, 1931)

The Detroit Lions have won 12 games in a season once in the teams history (1991)

The Detroit Lions have never won 13 games in a regular season in the teams history

Vildor grades out as our highest pff grade on defense....our secondary is so much better when Harris and Jacobs are not on the field. Iffy is looking great. Gardner-Johnson and Houston close to returning. Levi stepped up and had a good game. Buggs is back and contributing. This defense could be decent heading into the playoffs. Which did not look possible for a long while.

The Detroit Lions have won 11 games in a season three times in the teams history (2014, 1962, 1931)

The Detroit Lions have won 12 games in a season once in the teams history (1991)

The Detroit Lions have never won 13 games in a regular season in the teams history
Could happen, but aside from needing to beat Dallas on the road, they will need to win a Week 18 game against a Minnesota team that may be fighting for a playoff spot while Detroit is locked into the 3 seed

ETA: But let's not get ahead of ourselves ...

Penei Sewell's All-Pro level PFF Grades
  • Overall Grade 91.3 1st
    next highest T is 84.0
  • Run Blocking 93.4* 1st
    next highest T is 86.9
  • Pass Blocking Efficiency 98.5 1st
    in 532 pass pro opportunities, has allowed 15 pressures and 1 sack
PFF has been grading NFL players since 2009. Sewell's Run Blocking Grade is the 2nd highest of all-time.

DET has 6 expected moves before YE:
  1. CJGJ
  2. Jason Cabinda
  3. Hendon Hooker (maybe not)
  4. Irvin (1 PS elevation left)
  5. Alim McNeil
  6. James Houston
6 guys will need to be cut; based off inactives I think it will be these players:
  1. Steven Gilmore
  2. Trevor Nowaske
  3. Antoine Green
  4. Charles Harris
  5. Julian Okwara
  6. Chase Lucas

• Overall Grade 91.3 1st
    next highest T is 84.0
  • Run Blocking 93.4* 1st
    next highest T is 86.9
PFF has been grading NFL players since 2009. Sewell's Run Blocking Grade is the 2nd highest of all-time.
I get that it was a really loaded class but what a gift it was for Sewell to fall to us

• Overall Grade 91.3 1st
    next highest T is 84.0
  • Run Blocking 93.4* 1st
    next highest T is 86.9
I get that it was a really loaded class but what a gift it was for Sewell to fall to us
And what a gift to have a GM smart enough to actually be the smartest guy in the room and not pass on him.

• Overall Grade 91.3 1st
    next highest T is 84.0
  • Run Blocking 93.4* 1st
    next highest T is 86.9
And what a gift to have a GM smart enough to actually be the smartest guy in the room and not pass on him.
True though I have a hard time giving Holmes credit there. That was such a no brainer pick and honestly, if we had taken Surtain or Parsons instead people wouldn't exactly be complaining.

I'm of the opinion that OL is still the most underrated position in football. Just look at the difference when all 5 are healthy at the same time. Next to QB that's the difference maker imo. Lions have a mediocre defense and still have a 10-4 record.

There is no doubt Goff has been a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde depending upon the OL play. He was turnover city recently when he was not getting good protection. And then there is a 5 TDs and no turnovers gem. But with the OL it takes 5 really good players to have a great one.

I'm of the opinion that OL is still the most underrated position in football. Just look at the difference when all 5 are healthy at the same time. Next to QB that's the difference maker imo. Lions have a mediocre defense and still have a 10-4 record.

Absolutely. Was just about the only thing our previous GM got correct was that he saw the value in the trenches and unless I am mistaken he drafted Decker and Ragnow and also drafted Jonah Jackson and Glasgow, whilst getting the likes of TJ Lang in FA. It would be fair to say that the current staff are reaping the benefit of some of that work. By adding in Sewell and a few others our OL really is top notch when all fit

Absolutely. Was just about the only thing our previous GM got correct was that he saw the value in the trenches and unless I am mistaken he drafted Decker and Ragnow and also drafted Jonah Jackson and Glasgow, whilst getting the likes of TJ Lang in FA. It would be fair to say that the current staff are reaping the benefit of some of that work. By adding in Sewell and a few others our OL really is top notch when all fit

He also reaped the benefits of having a completed depleted defense which lacked even a single worthwhile holdover and a WR core which was total buttcheeks.

He also reaped the benefits of having a completed depleted defense which lacked even a single worthwhile holdover and a WR core which was total buttcheeks.

Well yes, of course. I was just glancing through the Quinn drafts before I made that post. The 2017 class is an absolute disaster. 2016-2020 almost every single D choice failed. A’Shawn Robinson and Tracy Walker is about as good as it gets. Too many Teez Tabors and the like. I can possibly forgive Okudah and the terrible injury he sustained in his rookie year. A lot of the FA signings had logic behind them but they weren’t supported by any depth at all from the drafts and he then of course installed an all time awful HC that sunk the whole ship. That decision really was the fatal blow. Wouldn’t have mattered what kind of drafts he did in 18, 19 and 20 the obituary was already being written

Eagles: 10-4, in playoffs
Cowboys: 10-4, in playoffs.
Lions 10-4, not currently in playoffs.
There are many ways to change that next week. Naturally, the best would be to beat Minnesota.

The Eagles allowed Seattle to drive 92 yards in 1:24 and didn't even use their timeout...and Drew Lock was the QB.

Vintage Matt Patricia. :lol:

Last edited:
With Philly's loss, the No. 2 seed is still very much in play if Detroit can beat Dallas in two weeks. (Top seed probably out of reach given SF's 9-1 conference record)

For the #1 seed....Lions would have to win out. Possible, but not probable. Would lock us into the #2 seed.

SF would have to lose to Baltimore....quite possible.
And lose to either the Rams or Washington. Not very likely at all. Although I do give the Rams a shot.

BTW....I am discounting the possibility SF losing to Washington to near zero to simplify the scenarios.

Last edited:
The Eagles allowed Seattle to drive 92 yards in 1:24 and didn't even use their timeout...and Drew Lock was the QB.

Vintage Matt Patricia. :lol:
Trying to imagine other scenarios as ridiculous as hiring the guy whose terrible defense contributed to your franchise's lone Super Bowl win as your DC. Belichick hiring Darrell Bevell as his OC? Giants bringing in Scott Norwood as their special teams coach? Packers trying to beat the Lions by hiring the DC from their 0-16 team (oh wait, that actually happened)

With Philly's loss, the No. 2 seed is still very much in play if Detroit can beat Dallas in two weeks. (Top seed probably out of reach given SF's 9-1 conference record)

For the #1 seed....Lions would have to win out. Possible, but not probable. Would lock us into the #2 seed.

And lose to either the Rams or Washington. Not very likely at all. Although I do give the Rams a shot.

BTW....I am discounting the possibility SF losing to Washington to near zero to simplify the scenarios.
I realized there's a bit of a Schrodinger's Cat problem: If the Lions beat Dallas, it makes it more likely they could beat out the Cowboys for the No. 2 seed but also makes it less likely the Cowboys would win the NFC East. And I'm not sure if Detroit wins any tiebreakers against Philly (whose final three games are against NYG/Ari/NYG)

I realized there's a bit of a Schrodinger's Cat problem: If the Lions beat Dallas, it makes it more likely they could beat out the Cowboys for the No. 2 seed but also makes it less likely the Cowboys would win the NFC East. And I'm not sure if Detroit wins any tiebreakers against Philly (whose final three games are against NYG/Ari/NYG)

Philly would have the same conference record as Detroit, so I think it comes down to record versus common opponents (Sea, Dallas, Baltimore, Minnesota, and KC). Eagles are 3-3 against those, while us winning out would put us at 4-2.

I'm not sure if Detroit wins any tiebreakers against Philly (whose final three games are against NYG/Ari/NYG)

Better record in common games
Ah, because in this scenario Detroit would have beaten Dallas and Philly would have gone 1-1 against them, while Detroit would have swept Minnesota.

They both beat Tampa and KC and lost to Seattle.

Anyway, we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. Right now I just want them to beat Minnesota and clinch their first-ever NFC North title

Philly would have the same conference record as Detroit, so I think it comes down to record versus common opponents (Sea, Dallas, Baltimore, Minnesota, and KC). Eagles are 3-3 against those, while us winning out would put us at 4-2.
Philly didn't play Baltimore. The sixth team is Tampa

Philly didn't play Baltimore. The sixth team is Tampa
Ok, I was looking at a preseason game, so swap out Balt with TB, which elimates a loss and adds a win to both teams...so Philly is 4-2 in common games and Detroit would be 5-1...if we win out.

It is no science, but if you want to know why we dumped players like Hockinson and Swift and did not draft Jalen Carter or pick up Suh, Jalen Hurts summed it up:

Jalen Hurts: “We’re not committed enough” - PFT
“I’ve been talking about execution all year,” Hurts said. “Being on the same page, everyone being on the same page. We didn’t execute. I don’t think we’re, we’re all, we’re committed enough. Just got to turn it around. You know, it’s a challenge that we have to embrace. Just continue to see it through.” Hurts was asked what he means by that. “Commitment......"

Homes and Campbell want commitment as their number 1 priority when drafting or acquiring a player. So when you scratch you head over a pick or over a FA we passed on, bet the farm it was because they did not see the level of commitment in that player they expect.

Last edited:
It is no science, but if you want to know why we dumped players like Hockinson and Swift and did not draft Jalen Carter or pick up Suh, Jalen Hurts summed it up:

Jalen Hurts: “We’re not committed enough” - PFT
“I’ve been talking about execution all year,” Hurts said. “Being on the same page, everyone being on the same page. We didn’t execute. I don’t think we’re, we’re all, we’re committed enough. Just got to turn it around. You know, it’s a challenge that we have to embrace. Just continue to see it through.” Hurts was asked what he means by that. “Commitment......"

Homes and Campbell want commitment as their number 1 priority when drafting or acquiring a player. So when you scratch you head over a pick or over a FA we passed on, bet the farm it was because they did not see the level of commitment in that player they expect.
Good point. Obviously we don't know everything that went on, but in general I trust H&C when it comes to team building.

I would also add D-Hop to that list. From a football standpoint, he could have been a good addition. But I can definitely see how they might not have thought he was a great cultural fit

Final three games
  1. 49ers 11-3
    Ravens
    At Commanders
    Rams
  2. Cowboys 10-4
    At Dolphins
    Lions
    At Commanders
  3. Lions 10-4
    At Vikings
    At Cowboys
    Vikings
  4. NFC South
  5. Eagles 10-4
    Giants
    Cardinals
    At Giants

Someone might have posted this but Frank Ragnow had meniscus surgery and only missed one game. That's insane and takes a lot of mental and physical toughness. He embodies everything Campbell and Holmes want in a football player.

Ragnow has not allowed a sack all year and only a couple of pressures. For my money he's the best center in the NFL.

Someone might have posted this but Frank Ragnow had meniscus surgery and only missed one game. That's insane and takes a lot of mental and physical toughness. He embodies everything Campbell and Holmes want in a football player.

Ragnow has not allowed a sack all year and only a couple of pressures. For my money he's the best center in the NFL.
Like Sgt. Hulka from the movie Stripes, Frank Ragnow is the Big Toe of the Lions.

Hopefully it does not come into play, but the Viking other game is at home vs. the Packers. I hope the Lions van clinch it with a big win, and hoping for a Viking loss.

Was a bit puzzled with the Patterson to Badgley switch. Patterson has missed of couple of extra points (one a bad snap) and a short FG recently. 15 for 17 is pretty respectable for FGs and better than Badgley 20 for 24 last season. Patterson is not particularly good at 50+ yard FG, but still better than Badgley. Nearly identically mediocre kickers who should only be kicking behind 50 yards in complete desperation. I guess just the recent miscues kind of all stacked up together to make Patterson look worse than he is.

Users who are viewing this thread