What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - Howie is like a bottle of Tylenol: Tamper-resistant! (6 Viewers)

The Eagles are expected to go after New York Jets free agent defensive end Bryce Huff when free agency starts in a few days. He had 10 sacks last year for the Jets. He is 25. The Eagles have been shopping Josh Sweat and Haason Reddick for the last few weeks according to Diana Russini 

The Eagles are expected to go after New York Jets free agent defensive end Bryce Huff when free agency starts in a few days. He had 10 sacks last year for the Jets. He is 25. The Eagles have been shopping Josh Sweat and Haason Reddick for the last few weeks according to Diana Russini 
This is a Howie type deal. A young guy they're banking on being on the come up and get him for below market rate. Same as the Hargrave deal.

I can’t say I’d be very enthusiastic about Hassan AND Sweat AND Fletcher all leaving. Like, are we just not going to pressure the opposing QB next year?

Better to get rid of a guy one year too soon than one year too late.
Sure. But he’s the best player on defense. And fills a need. And if they restructure him-which they will do-they free up more cap space this season. And he’s shown no signs that he’s falling off. I give very little credence to anything that happened at the end of last year. I don’t know WHAT happened, but there were clearly major issues.
The butthole DC dropping Reddick into coverage on the first play a week after Reddick questioned his use in coverage is illustrative of the uphill battle these guys were fighting. Like, pencil boy was calling plays to spite players. Disastrous.

I can’t say I’d be very enthusiastic about Hassan AND Sweat AND Fletcher all leaving. Like, are we just not going to pressure the opposing QB next year?

Better to get rid of a guy one year too soon than one year too late.
Sure. But he’s the best player on defense. And fills a need. And if they restructure him-which they will do-they free up more cap space this season. And he’s shown no signs that he’s falling off. I give very little credence to anything that happened at the end of last year. I don’t know WHAT happened, but there were clearly major issues.
The butthole DC dropping Reddick into coverage on the first play a week after Reddick questioned his use in coverage is illustrative of the uphill battle these guys were fighting. Like, pencil boy was calling plays to spite players. Disastrous.
There’s talks certain players were giving zero to no effort last year second half of the year after asking for a DC change. Reddick and Sweat were mentioned quiet a few times from those I talked too

I’m saddened by the news of Cox retirement.

Game topics just won’t be the same without Cox dominating QBs.
I agree, it's been a long and prodigious career.

As long as you remember his highlights and speak about his career from time to time, Cox can live on your lips for the rest of your life.
To say cox dominated would be an understatement. He stood firm, and always had good penetration.
:oldunsure:

I’m saddened by the news of Cox retirement.

Game topics just won’t be the same without Cox dominating QBs.
I agree, it's been a long and prodigious career.

As long as you remember his highlights and speak about his career from time to time, Cox can live on your lips for the rest of your life.
12 long hard years penetrating defensive backfields successfully

Gonna miss the leadership void of Kelce and Cox. Nice to see BG officially back. We couldn't handle all 3 retiring in the same offseason. At least I couldn't haha.

As far as the Barkley smoke, I'd be in on a 3 year $25M deal or something similar, with an out after 2 years if he falls apart/stinks. Would be a good addition unless they feel they wanna try to strike gold in a not-so-deep RB class in the draft. Just seems a few positions where are needs are high match up with the depth in free agency in RB and Safety, and I feel Howie is too smart to not understand this, so I definitely expect an addition at both of these positions in Free Agency.

Gonna miss the leadership void of Kelce and Cox. Nice to see BG officially back. We couldn't handle all 3 retiring in the same offseason. At least I couldn't haha.

As far as the Barkley smoke, I'd be in on a 3 year $25M deal or something similar, with an out after 2 years if he falls apart/stinks. Would be a good addition unless they feel they wanna try to strike gold in a not-so-deep RB class in the draft. Just seems a few positions where are needs are high match up with the depth in free agency in RB and Safety, and I feel Howie is too smart to not understand this, so I definitely expect an addition at both of these positions in Free Agency.

This is the year to wait out the RB market and give 1-yr prove it deal to an UFA who didn't get the contract offer he thought he would.

This is the year to wait out the RB market and give 1-yr prove it deal to an UFA who didn't get the contract offer he thought he would.
I get that theory and understand why. I'd like to get a guy that 1. Can for sure play and 2. Someone that also would be here next year. Not really keen on going after the Henry, Dobbins, Pollard, Ekelers of the world. There really isn't a ton of great depth beyond this year. Maybe bring Swift back? Josh Jacobs will command the biggest payday, but exactly how high is that ceiling for pay? Saquon does seem, to me, to be the "just right" pick. He has made his money, isn't going to be super expensive, still relatively young, a very very good pass protector, and if there is interest from him to join us, that makes me feel better.

We shall see, but I don't want any Small guy, any guy that is barely or frankly unproven, or a guy that will be 30+ next year.

I get that theory and understand why. I'd like to get a guy that 1. Can for sure play and 2. Someone that also would be here next year. Not really keen on going after the Henry, Dobbins, Pollard, Ekelers of the world. There really isn't a ton of great depth beyond this year. Maybe bring Swift back? Josh Jacobs will command the biggest payday, but exactly how high is that ceiling for pay? Saquon does seem, to me, to be the "just right" pick. He has made his money, isn't going to be super expensive, still relatively young, a very very good pass protector, and if there is interest from him to join us, that makes me feel better.

We shall see, but I don't want any Small guy, any guy that is barely or frankly unproven, or a guy that will be 30+ next year.

Seems like most people think Barkley is going to get around $10 million per year on a multiple year contract. Signing a RB for that amount doesn't fit to what Howie has done in the past. I could see them being interested in Pollard for around half that amount since he played in Moore's system before.

Seems like most people think Barkley is going to get around $10 million per year on a multiple year contract. Signing a RB for that amount doesn't fit to what Howie has done in the past. I could see them being interested in Pollard for around half that amount since he played in Moore's system before.
Yeah I have heard that too. Also, not sure why people think that is the market value for a RB like him. He is very talented, sure, but also, hasn't had a great season since basically his rookie year. Maybe at $10M I'm out. I think at this point though with how fast the salary cap is accelerating year over year, money matters less these days.

Want to get a few things done before legal tampering starts at noon. We already went over Kelce and this is is what I’ve either taken from people I know, read.

For Reddick/Sweat: they were very disappointed in lack of effort second half. People can blame scheme or them being dropped in coverage but a lot of players complained about the DC so the team changed and players ended up digging it on the field or in practice. Both these guys names came up repeatedly without me asking and from what I’ve seen reported. They won’t be traded just to get rid of them and are seeking fair value. They also want to get younger at the edge and Sweat is more so looked at these days as a rotational piece. Eagles prioritize this position so they’ll look at FA to add depth and draft a guy or too. Dolaris and Trice are two guys in this draft I wouldn’t mind taking and I could see them signing a DT for depth.

Barkley:
From what I’ve been told this seems more like an agent drumming up more interest to get his client a better deal. I asked about Eskin’s comments one source said he either misspoke or misheard the question and what he was answering was the typical “yeah why wouldn’t the Eagles be interested but at the right price.” There was no yeah they have legit interest high chance of signing him. I expect Swift back at some point and the Eagles to draft a guy. I really like Trey Benson, Bucky Irving and Blake Corum and Davis from Kentucky here. There’s a few guys later on they could snag

Fangio’s Defense: Fangio will have a lot of say. They got legit interest in bringing CJGJ back and feel the secondary lost a lot of swag and toughness when he left. Bradberry and Slay make no sense to cut or trade but I could see Bradberry June 2nd cut. Slay would be a good 2 I expect them to possible draft a CB or two and grab a guy in FA I think we need two starting Safeties given Browns injury and Blankenship is more of a depth #3 guy Tyler Nubin, Kamari Kitchens , Bullock from UGA, Poyer OSU and Sion Viaki day 3 are guys I like here. CB there’s a few guys here as well. McKinney and Wiggins, Melton from Rutgers and a few guys In round 3 and 4 such as Mike Sinisteri from Mich. FA wise there’s a few to choose from older. Justin Simmons is a guy to go after along with McKinney.

Eagles seem to be targeting young LBs here. Not sure if Dean is the answer but as a rotational piece for now could be great. Draft wise I’m sure many of us would love Ax Man Jr here. I really like Majoamete (sp) from Wisc later on, there’s a guy from Utah I believe and Eichenberg out of OSU later on.

Jalen Hurts: I’ve yet to hear anything about his knee so who knows if it was something secrestively taken care of or not. There are pictures of a clean shaven Hurts no more goatee. As for the reported stuff I’m told where there’s smoke there’s fire here. Some players thought of Hurts leadership differently after he allowed AJ to bully him on the sideline in week 2. Guys also seemed to lose trust as Hurts apparently treated players he was close to differently from those he wasn’t. This can be easily fixed but a few guys didn’t like how certain players were able to get away with stuff while others who weren’t at fault for mistakes got thrown under the bus. Offensively it sounded like Johnson became a scapegoat and Sirianni was more so calling plays than BJ. From both a UF source plus my Eagles he was a sacrificial lamb as Nick was told change philosophy or he gone. Hurts and others also went against the game plan. There’s thought that Hurts despite being hurt insisted on the options and QB draws. Hurts does need to get better at reading that option and there’s hope they go back to more RPOs this year. Many of the issues with Hurts though are easily fixable. One of the other things minor I heard was some players felt with the new deal and being with Klutch more focus was put on off the field endeavors then he usually does. Speaking to those assoicatied with people at he agency this is becoming a problem for sports clubs with the agency. I think Jalen is the type of guy who knows how to prioritize though over some others and won’t let some agency change him. They are happy with everything else with him and he’s still fairly well liked

The Eagles also need a Slot guy. I think Zaccheus was used wrong and there’s a few FAs you can have. Draft I wouldn’t be shocked if they took Xavier Worthy in the 1st round as they are high on him. Johnny Wilson 6-5 out of FSU would be another option and nightmare match up issues for defenses. Ricky Pearsal from UF is undersized but runs good routes plays above his size and had some highlight real grabs. He reminds me of a few other pasty white undersized Wideouts who worked the slot. Eagles need a G with Jurgens moving to C Jon Runyan JR could be a target in FA and expect them to take a guy in Draft. Also could see a T as Lanes replacement soon as this is one of the best and deepest T classes in awhile. #2 TE is needed I could see a FA on a 1 yrs deal here and there’s a few to draft like a Jahem Bell, Cade Stover, Benn Sonnet, Dallon Hoocker, and Breyvn Spann. The later 2 day 3 guys.

That’s really all I have right now. Nothing earth shattering maybe more obvious but what we all know is you never know with Roseman around

Yeah I have heard that too. Also, not sure why people think that is the market value for a RB like him. He is very talented, sure, but also, hasn't had a great season since basically his rookie year. Maybe at $10M I'm out. I think at this point though with how fast the salary cap is accelerating year over year, money matters less these days.
Because he Turned down the Franchise tag plus a few more mil from the Guants. He’s looking at a big payday or at least he and his agent.

Swift is gone dammit

The #Bears are expected to sign former #Eagles starting RB D’Andre Swift as their new starting running back, per me and @MikeGarafolo.

He gets a 3-year, $24M deal.

Forgot to post this but Eagles play Pitt this year and they just signed Russ Wilson last night. Meanwhile Den is paying him $35m while Steelers pay 18m this year.

Landon Dickerson Re-signed, 4 year extension. Howie Szn has begun.

The Eagles have re-signed G Landon Dickerson to a four-year, $84 million contract extension. The deal includes $50 million guaranteed.

Dickerson is now the highest-paid guard in the NFL at $21 million per year.
I like Dickerson, but that's a crazy deal.

Connor Hughes

There are increased rumblings that the #Eagles are willing to go north of $12 million annually for Saquon Barkley, per sources. That's higher than the #Texans, which is believed to be near $11 million.

This would be quite the splash for Howie Roseman.

The sentiment was always that Barkley would give the #Giants a chance to match/do better. Would Schoen to keep Barkley away from division rival?

Landon Dickerson Re-signed, 4 year extension. Howie Szn has begun.

The Eagles have re-signed G Landon Dickerson to a four-year, $84 million contract extension. The deal includes $50 million guaranteed.

Dickerson is now the highest-paid guard in the NFL at $21 million per year.
I like Dickerson, but that's a crazy deal.
The ole "not my money" response from me. The Cap is going up so much each year, by the end of year 2 of this deal it'll look cheap.

Now we just need to hear "Devonta Smith, extended" next.

Hopefully followed by "Eagles land Xavier McKinney"

That's basically what Swift just got. I imagine Barkley will get more now.

That's basically what Swift just got. I imagine Barkley will get more now.
Yeah, I gotta agree now. Guessing this less than great RB draft class is a bit of a driver of this RB market.

I wonder is Howie's Georgia experiment has come to an end. Dean has to be on the hot seat!
Dean has 1 more year. The injuries hampered him but he didn't show much in the time he was in there. However, it definitely got worse after he went down. Whether that was coincidence or just a testament to how bad the LBs were is unknown. He has to know his career is on the line this season.

Eagles wanted Stick when they ended up with Clay (don’t remember his name now) when Wentz was here. chargers took him 2 picks prior

Eagles Looking To Keep Marcus Mariota​

We’re told that while the team hasn’t eliminated the possibility of re-signing veteran QB Marcus Mariota to back up Jalen Hurts, former Los Angeles Chargers QB Easton Stick is under consideration to handle the No. 2 role, a league source said. New Philadelphia Eagles OC Kellen Moore worked with Stick last season with the Chargers.

The athletic Stick, a fifth-round pick out of the 2019 NFL Draft, wound up starting four games last season for the injury-depleted Chargers.

In other team news, sources said the Eagles are working to re-sign P Braden Mann, who averaged 49.8 yards per punt (ranked seventh in the NFL) and a net average of 43.8 (ranked fourth in the NFL) last season with the Eagles — both were career highs for the former sixth-round pick of the New York Jets (2020).

While the team informed fourth-year TE Jack Stoll a few weeks ago that they wouldn’t be tendering him as a restricted free agent, a league source tells us that the team still has interest in re-signing him.

Stoll, who made the Eagles roster in 2021 as an undrafted free agent, won the No. 2 job (“Y” position—inline) at the position that season and has held that role ever since.

The lowest RFA tender level is just under $3m ($2.985m), which is seen around the NFL as a bit high for a backup tight end of his experience.

Users who are viewing this thread