What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - Prime Time Kirk Cousins. We like that! (8 Viewers)

Who is Britain Covey and does he actually have a chance to be WR3/4 for the Eagles? Apparently the reports from camp were positive.
He was the best punt returner in football last year, but is strictly a back up slot guy only. They aren't going to give him a chance to win it.

Early reports are this job will be won by Parris Campbell. If not him, speedster John Ross is next in line.

I would not try to count on anything from Covey as far as FF production.
Unless there's a trade or a significant post-cut down FA signing, it's going to be WR3-by-committee this year.
Agreed. Unless there is a big signing, It’s looking like they are gonna platoon Ross, Wilson and Campbell. Maybe run 12 personnel and get Calcaterra involved more, too.
So you got J Wilson making the team, I assume? Seems like he is making an impact and A Smith....stinking it up. Was hoping he'd be better than what he's shown so far.
Yeah, I think Wilson will have an impact. Especially with Devonta in the slot a lot. Huge frame, great wheels, solid passcatcher- he showed out in pads yesterday.

I don’t think WR3 will be roster-worthy in fantasy, except deep leagues, but real football talk, they’ll do ik with the platoon.

A Smith is having drop problems and muffing punts. I can see him going to Practice Squad.

🚨NEWS: GM Howie Roseman has offered #Eagles legendary center Jason Kelce a job to SCOUT & work alongside him.

👀

Howie says Jason even scouted his own replacement, center Cam Jurgens, who has been a standout.

(Via @UpAndAdamsShow)

🚨NEWS: GM Howie Roseman has offered #Eagles legendary center Jason Kelce a job to SCOUT & work alongside him.

👀

Howie says Jason even scouted his own replacement, center Cam Jurgens, who has been a standout.

(Via @UpAndAdamsShow)
A nice gesture, but I think he knows he belongs in front of a mic/camera.

👀

(Via @UpAndAdamsShow)

Don't fall into the Flyers trap. It's been 50 years of recycling former Flyers with the same results.

👀

(Via @UpAndAdamsShow)

Don't fall into the Flyers trap. It's been 50 years of recycling former Flyers with the same results.
what? lol

👀

(Via @UpAndAdamsShow)

what? lol

Don't hire former players.

Yeah I didn’t get the shade going back n forth after he left (btwn fans & the player), but we loved what CJGJ brought to the table. Didn’t work out health wise but dude is a tone setter.

He absolutely helped change their approach on defense. He’s gone but his imprint is still there. Ya gotta back it up with good play (he generally does), but our defense has some swagger now, especially after the moves they made this offseason.

The league is so extremely offensive minded in the way the rules are enforced. It’s great when we get the rare occasion when a game comes down to controlling the LOS and smacking people in the mouth. Love how CJ gets in peoples heads, and most importantly, has that knack for making a big play when it’s needed.

Yeah I didn’t get the shade going back n forth after he left (btwn fans & the player), but we loved what CJGJ brought to the table. Didn’t work out health wise but dude is a tone setter.

He absolutely helped change their approach on defense. He’s gone but his imprint is still there. Ya gotta back it up with good play (he generally does), but our defense has some swagger now, especially after the moves they made this offseason.

The league is so extremely offensive minded in the way the rules are enforced. It’s great when we get the rare occasion when a game comes down to controlling the LOS and smacking people in the mouth. Love how CJ gets in peoples heads, and most importantly, has that knack for making a big play when it’s needed.
I think it was simply the pain of rejection. I am guilty of it. "Fine I didn't want her number anyway" vibes.

But, very very glad he is back. He is just fun to have on the team.

I'm so looking forward to this season. I see lots of positives to get excited about. I'm most excited about Barkley's prospects and look forward to seeing him do for us what he previously did against us. I think he'll have his best season of his career statistically and believe he'll easily be a top five or better fantasy RB. It wouldn't surprise me if he finished overall RB1 in the NFL and fantasy.

Eagles continue their rich tradition of not investing at LB, letting a week of Training Camp go by, then decide "these guys are just not that good" and sign a street free agent.

Shaquille Quarterman, welcome to Philadelphia! If you're breathing, you might be the Week 1 starter!

In Vic Fangio's press conference today he said Nakobe Dean had a good couple of days before he "took a step back at the stadium practice."

That kind of honesty (and publicly challenging a player to raise his game) is refreshing after a few years of Sirianni, and his coordinators, giving us 99% coach-speak.
Fangio was also blunt about LB’s, which is a bit of an indictment of Howie’s roster building philosophy.

He thinks high-level play from ILBs especially is important for a successful defense in the NFL nowadays because the game has evolved and hard-nosed players that rely on toughness isn’t enough. They need to play in space and cover not just stuffing the run.

Speaking to a client of mine over the weekend. His nextdoor neighbor is a very high level executive for the team. He says that internally the brass is “very concerned” with Jalen Hurts and his status within the locker room. Said his behind-his-back-nickname around the Novacare is DB1. I’ll let you guess what that means.

Reports out of camp is that he’s killing it so I take the above with an enormous grain of salt. Winning cures everything, I just hope the contract didn’t mess with his head.

no concerns here at this time, so just a it-happened note:
Gardner-Johnson left Monday’s practice early and he did not take the field with the rest of the team for Tuesday’s session. The team said that Gardner-Johnson is dealing with a shoulder injury and multiple reports indicate that he is not expected to be out of action for an extended period of time.

no concerns here at this time, so just a it-happened note:
Gardner-Johnson left Monday’s practice early and he did not take the field with the rest of the team for Tuesday’s session. The team said that Gardner-Johnson is dealing with a shoulder injury and multiple reports indicate that he is not expected to be out of action for an extended period of time.
Every single one of our safeties is an injury risk: CJ, Reed, Brown, Avonte

Need to add a body by the start of the season IMO

In Vic Fangio's press conference today he said Nakobe Dean had a good couple of days before he "took a step back at the stadium practice."

That kind of honesty (and publicly challenging a player to raise his game) is refreshing after a few years of Sirianni, and his coordinators, giving us 99% coach-speak.
Fangio was also blunt about LB’s, which is a bit of an indictment of Howie’s roster building philosophy.

He thinks high-level play from ILBs especially is important for a successful defense in the NFL nowadays because the game has evolved and hard-nosed players that rely on toughness isn’t enough. They need to play in space and cover not just stuffing the run.
See how much he has to say after leaving your best pass rusher in with a 20 point lead at the end of the game on the worse turf in the NFL. -Signed The Miami Dolphins

I have this weird feeling that Kellen Moore will only be here for 1 year. His offense with these players I think he'll become a top Head Coach candidate.

I have this weird feeling that Kellen Moore will only be here for 1 year. His offense with these players I think he'll become a top Head Coach candidate.
Yeah I am getting that feeling also. Seems all the players are really in on this O

Although some hit piece article just came out I think this morning going over the "Hurts and Sirianni just don't get along at all theme"

Nothing new really so I didn't copy the link, but its out there on Bleacher Report with very little details.

Is there anything significant to the Sirianni/Hurts relationship issues narrative? I've seen some smoke here and there to varying degrees of severity about issues between Hurts/Sirianni and Hurts/locker room. Would love to know if it carries any real weight, or just typical early-August BS.

Also, @Terpman22, is Bleacher Report considered to be much of a reliable source? Serious question, and I respect your opinion. I've never put much time into reading stuff from there, but recently a football buddy of mine is referencing it a lot lately, and as I'm vetting it, it seems, on it's face, not to be all that concerned about oversight of it's content creators, and contains a lot of unsubstantiated rumor and sensationalism.

Thanks!

Is there anything significant to the Sirianni/Hurts relationship issues narrative? I've seen some smoke here and there to varying degrees of severity about issues between Hurts/Sirianni and Hurts/locker room. Would love to know if it carries any real weight, or just typical early-August BS.

Also, @Terpman22, is Bleacher Report considered to be much of a reliable source? Serious question, and I respect your opinion. I've never put much time into reading stuff from there, but recently a football buddy of mine is referencing it a lot lately, and as I'm vetting it, it seems, on it's face, not to be all that concerned about oversight of it's content creators, and contains a lot of unsubstantiated rumor and sensationalism.

Thanks!
Honestly, I am rarely on BR, but with the Aiyuk rumors, I'd click on it every once in a while to see if there was an update. Its ok, but nothing I would say in the realm of "great journalism" in my opinion.

As far as Hurts/Sirianni, there is no new news. Things get blown out of proportion often and I can't see anything thats really going to break this way/that way as far as this narrative to have any real affect on the team. Seems to me all of this came from a basic "non endorsement" of Nick's future as the HC on the last day of mini Camps in the Spring and its just been talked about since then.

My take: I think Jalen is just a little annoyed/tired of having to learn a new offensive system/new coach every year for the most part of the past 8/9 seasons going back to College.

I'm quite worried about this. It's one of those "we want him to be good but not TOO good". Now if we win a SB of course it's worth it, but losing a SB or the NFCC game could mean Kellen gets his HC job. I wish coordinators (for all teams) were incentivized more to stay with current teams. Of course everyone wants to be a HC though, but it's become so fluid with coordinators in this league, it's a bit annoying.

Sirianni has been tight-lipped about whether or not the staters will play in the first preseason game, but I'm betting they don't see the field. Maybe a series or two in the second game is all the run they get in the preseason.

Sirianni has been tight-lipped about whether or not the staters will play in the first preseason game, but I'm betting they don't see the field. Maybe a series or two in the second game is all the run they get in the preseason.
Interesting that most other teams I'm reading are starting their starters w1 of the preseason. This doesnt usually happen does it?

If the rumors with Hurts and Sirianni are any bit true than he’ll replace Nick IMO. They want a young and talented play caller as HC
But that's the catch 22. If the Eagles are bad enough to fire their head coach, Moore might not be a HC candidate.

In the situation where we could likely lose him to a HC job (We have an incredible season and/or deep playoff run), can't see us firing the head coach after that.

If the rumors with Hurts and Sirianni are any bit true than he’ll replace Nick IMO. They want a young and talented play caller as HC
I can totally see this being true. I can also see the Eagles maybe leaking these stories about Nick v Hurts to get this ball rolling also. Going to definitely very curious to see any comments about the offense/system/Kellen Moore that come from Howie and more importantly, if Jeff says anything.

With that said, man a lot of positives so far at camp. Linebacker seems to be a mess, go figure so that's going to be the weak spot this year. If I were to bet on CB2 at this point, I'd have to go with Rodgers. They really need to add another healthy safety to this roster IMO, not sure if/how that will happen and what caliber player they would even add, bc they seem pretty intent on CJ and Reed to them wanting those 2 as the starting 2 Safeties. Slot CB I would guess would be Q this year as the rookie, esp with Maddox getting a bunch of safety looks.

Offensive Line - PFF came out today and ranked the Eagles #1 overall, that with them obviously knowing and talking about Kelce retiring. Lot of nicks/banged up/minor injuries to the group, hopefully they all play tomorrow for a minute v Baltimore. Seems Steen is probably not going to win the RG spot b/c Stoutland is toying/liking the idea of mammoth sized RG with Mehki Becton getting the 1st team reps lately. He seems to be kinda "meh" not really wowing anyone, seems more an indictment on what they've seen from Tyler Steen more IMO. With that said, if anyone can make a player good its Stoutland and if somehow gets Becton into a top 20-30 OG in the league this year....its going to be a problem for other teams with the size and athleticism combo of this potential offensive line. I can see why they are still very highly regarded. Howie has done a great job here.

Slot WR is definitely going to be a rotation/matchup thing this year. Seems they really like Johnny Wilson a lot, he will be a nice red zone option I think. I was wrong about Covey also, he is going to have a role here as well. Super quick guy, think Wes Welker style. Campbell has been hurt for a minute now but he'll still have a role I think. The 5th round pick shouldn't make the team, Ainias Smith, but he will b/c Howie usually doesn't piss away 5th round draft picks the first year.

Pass rusher and defensive line seems to be the biggest mystery for me at least. There are some solid reports about Jalyx Hunt's development so that is encouraging. Nolan Smith seems to have taken at least a small jump and has had some solid reviews. Carter is apparently going to be a top 50 NFL player in the next year or two as a floor it seems, judging on the reports. He is just too good to not succeed. Milton Williams is having a solid camp, as is Jordan Davis, just need to see him be able to consistently play 45+ snaps a game to have a good judgement, but the skills and development seem to be there. I think the potential for this unit to have a really big impact on the success of this team is probably the highest of any other group, that is as unproven. Hoping for the best here.

Devonta Smith will probably have his best season I think. They are moving him all around and he's really that guy to be doing this. AJ Brown will be moved around as well. The receivers seem to really like the new system.

Dallas Goedert could get 10+ touchdowns this year. Kellen Moore seems to get a lot out of the tight end position. For as good as Dallas is, for various reasons, he hasn't really had that one dominant year yet. I think this could be that year. Probably at the expense most of AJ Brown as I expect a much more balanced passing offense than before the last 2 years with more involvement of the tight end position.

Grant Calcaterra, the backup 3rd year tight end. Probably will have his best season also. Not hard to do since he has 9 career receptions, but I think he could crack 30+ receptions. Seems to be having a good camp, very fluid guy, Moore makes the tight end the friend of the QB and usually gets high production so I wouldn't be surprised to see Calcaterra in some spots as the Slot WR also.

Running Back is looking great. Saquon is looking fine, basic Saquon, we will see more in the game action what he really looks like. Gainewell and Shipley will be involved in the passing. Shipley looks to be a legit 3rd down back minimum guy for the future, but this year the options will be limited, I think, mainly bc they like Gainwell so much as a pass receiver.

And the final guy: Jalen Hurts. By all accounts he is having his best camp as a pro. Hasn't even thrown an interception yet. His ball placement, but accounts, seems to have improved. His chemistry is even better with the big 3 guys in AJ, Devonta and Goedert. The addition of Saquon is going to only help Jalen out more I think. I think a lot of those tush pushes from last year may turn into a few more 1 yard touchdown passes than before. He has had 70+ touchdowns over the past 2 seasons in total. I think this is the year he gets 40+ Its going to be a big year for Jalen Hurts, in my view.

Overall, I think the team is going to obviously be lead by the offense, but maybe at week 7/8 the defense and players really finally solidify. I think the defense is going to be a work in progress for about this long, but the arrow definitely seems to be pointing up, they are practicing longer than they ever have in the Sirianni era in training camp, so it seems they are focused. Can't wait to do the win/loss prediction this year.

SB52 legend Nick Foles retiring as an Eagle.
Nice, didn't see he was retiring an Eagle. Absolute legend. A guy with below average talent, caught lighting in a bottle and played out of his mind for the playoffs. Absolute legend that will be loved forever in Philly.

Does he live in Philly?
When he led us to the SB, he lived in my town in South Jersey. Dunno if he sold that house when his career took him elsewhere.

The forecast for tons of rain in Baltimore tomorrow night makes it almost a given no starters get play.

I want to see how the ILBs look and who plays. Looking more like White and Baun are the starters, Nakobe might just be finished after his rookie contract is up. I see the Eagles drafting a LB early next year. It’s still such a black hole of talent on the D.

Dline and secondary might be good enough (esp in Fangio’s scheme) to hide the weakness this year. With this Offense, all they need to do is rank in the top half of the league.

I also want to see who gets snaps on the Oline. I’m concerned about depth, after TC. The starters should be solid- top 5 in the league solid. But there doesn’t look to be a ton of depth when people lose time to injury.

Interesting that most other teams I'm reading are starting their starters w1 of the preseason. This doesnt usually happen does it?
No usually week 2 or in olden times it was the third game

No usually week 2 or in olden times it was the third game
This year with there only being three games, maybe teams want to get in more playing time for the starters

The Beats are reporting starters will play at least 1 series tonight, weather permitting :ponder:

Users who are viewing this thread