What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - In an effort to make up for last year’s collapse, Howie orchestrates an all-time pandering to the fans draft. (27 Viewers)

With the 5th year option being included, the Smith contract is 4 years/$90M. A bargain, considering we paid A.J. 4/$100M a couple years ago.

Once new deals get done for Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Ja'Marr Chase, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Amon-Ra St. Brown, etc., it will be a steal.
What order would you bet these to be done for the remaining WRs? Sort of like a SuperFecta of WR signings.

I got Higgins, St Brown, Aiyuk, Chase, Jefferson and of course Lamb last

With the 5th year option being included, the Smith contract is 4 years/$90M. A bargain, considering we paid A.J. 4/$100M a couple years ago.

Once new deals get done for Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Ja'Marr Chase, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Amon-Ra St. Brown, etc., it will be a steal.
Not an Eagles fan just chiming in on two things.

Howie does a tremendous job of getting ahead of the pay scale and it's no surprise to me that the one team that got their WR to agree to a long term deal before Jefferson and some of the others reset the market was Philly.

Regarding AJB's deal vs Devonta's. They are designed fairly equal, depends if AJB see's that last year of his deal. Don't forget AJB had a year left on his deal when he got traded. If he does not see that last year of his deal in Philly, when his base balloons to $30M and his cap hit goes to $41.5M, he will have been paid $85.664 for 4 years with up to another $3M in various per game and workout bonus.

I would have been surprised if Devonta would have agreed to take less then AJB did a few years ago and I don't think he did.

What order would you bet these to be done for the remaining WRs? Sort of like a SuperFecta of WR signings.

And Lamb will cost the Cowboys $45m a year.

And Lamb will cost the Cowboys $45m a year.
I sure hope not

They can always extend one of them later if they want but it's kind of wild to me that in 2029 both Hurts and Devonta will count over $130m against the cap even with none of them currently slated to be on the team that year.

I applaud the aggressive "win now', "pay later" approach and if the cap keeps going up may not be so horrendous, at least not for more then one a one year setback. Just never seen a team structure two contracts to have that much dead money the same year.

They can always extend one of them later if they want but it's kind of wild to me that in 2029 both Hurts and Devonta will count over $130m against the cap even with none of them currently slated to be on the team that year.

I applaud the aggressive "win now', "pay later" approach and if the cap keeps going up may not be so horrendous, at least not for more then one a one year setback. Just never seen a team structure two contracts to have that much dead money the same year.
That's the Howie strategy. It'll never get that far. He keeps restructuring to give guys more guaranteed money up front in later years to lower the cap hit.

That's the Howie strategy. It'll never get that far. He keeps restructuring to give guys more guaranteed money up front in later years to lower the cap hit.
When you say "it won't get that far" what do you mean exactly?

There is nothing he can really restructure on Hurts or Devonta's contracts, their base is about as low as it gets. Obviously he can restructure other players contracts as most teams do but I don't know any team that has had any players on the books with remotely that much of a cap hit for years they won't even be on the team. Most teams kick the can on salary cap money, just never seen it kicked like this.

There is nothing he can really restructure on Hurts or Devonta's contracts, their base is about as low as it gets. Obviously he can restructure other players contracts as most teams do but I don't know any team that has had any players on the books with remotely that much of a cap hit for years they won't even be on the team. Most teams kick the can on salary cap money, just never seen it kicked like this.
He can add more years to the end and give them up front money in a new signing bonus and then lower the cap hits by pushing it out further.

He can add more years to the end and give them up front money in a new signing bonus and then lower the cap hits by pushing it out further.
What happens if they don’t want to re sign? Or if the team doesn’t want to re sign them?

Good deal!

Hopefully Aiyuk and the 49ers can be like they are… together in eternity… come on, baby.

For that price would be real nice but I think Brandon will demand more for sure.

What happens if they don’t want to re sign? Or if the team doesn’t want to re sign them?
We're not the Cowboys. Our players want to re-sign here.

This is pretty obvious, with the team friendly deals our players keep signing. Meanwhile Dallas already has players disgruntled about their contracts and missing offseason events...already.

Its just a world of difference in philosophies when it comes to contracts. I read a report somewhere that Dallas is pretty much dead last in the league in "cash spent" over the last decade. This is according to their own guys Blogging the Boys. Jeffrey just isn't cheap like Jerry, which is weird, considering how rich Jerry is, how much the Cowboys are worth etc.

The Eagles just do it the right way, they extend guys early, they don't use the franchise tag, they don't have reverse mirrors in the locker room so fans can take tours while the players workout like its a human zoo, etc...

Was just not sure how since typically teams lower the cap charge by taking the base pay and converting it to a bonus. On their contracts there is no base pay.

I did mention they can always extend them, though it's possible their games have declined and they won't want to, just was not seeing a mechanism in the way htier contracts were structured to convert anything to bonus and I believe the voidable years are already maxed out.

Was just not sure how since typically teams lower the cap charge by taking the base pay and converting it to a bonus. On their contracts there is no base pay.

I did mention they can always extend them, though it's possible their games have declined and they won't want to, just was not seeing a mechanism in the way htier contracts were structured to convert anything to bonus and I believe the voidable years are already maxed out.
I don't fully understand it either but Howie has been doing it for a decade. He's restructured Lane Johnson's contract like 5 times. Each time Lane gets cash up front and more years at the end. Players seem to understand they won't be the highest paid at their position but they are going to get paid a good amount and get a lot of it up front.

did mention they can always extend them, though it's possible their games have declined and they won't want to, just was not seeing a mechanism in the way htier contracts were structured to convert anything to bonus and I believe the voidable years are already maxed out
Right

This is pretty obvious, with the team friendly deals our players keep signing. Meanwhile Dallas already has players disgruntled about their contracts and missing offseason events...already.

Its just a world of difference in philosophies when it comes to contracts. I read a report somewhere that Dallas is pretty much dead last in the league in "cash spent" over the last decade. This is according to their own guys Blogging the Boys. Jeffrey just isn't cheap like Jerry, which is weird, considering how rich Jerry is, how much the Cowboys are worth etc.

The Eagles just do it the right way, they extend guys early, they don't use the franchise tag, they don't have reverse mirrors in the locker room so fans can take tours while the players workout like its a human zoo, etc...
I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the facts that you think Jerry Jones is cheap and that you spend time reading blogging the boys

Is Isaiah Rodgers next? Or could this mean he won’t be since he wasn’t included with these other guys, including some that were suspended with him? 🤔

The NFL is reinstating five players who were suspended indefinitely last year for violating the gambling policy: WR Quintez Cephus, S C.J. Moore, DL Demetrius Taylor, WR Shaka Toney and Rashod Berry.

Last edited:
Is Isaiah Rodgers next? Or could this mean he won’t be since he wasn’t included with these other guys, including some that were suspended with him? 🤔

The NFL is reinstating five players who were suspended indefinitely last year for violating the gambling policy: WR Quintez Cephus, S C.J. Moore, DL Demetrius Taylor, WR Shaka Toney and Rashod Berry.
Don't love the sound of this

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the facts that you think Jerry Jones is cheap and that you spend time reading blogging the boys
Jerry isn't cheap. He just does not spend money wisely.
Waits till the last minute to sign Dak and had to overpay.
Overpaid Zeke.
Gave Gallup a huge contact when he was hurt.
Tagged Pollard when he was hurt.

Overpaid Zeke.

He's not cheap. He's just a moron

Overpaid Zeke.
Ya and Lamb will be crazy expensive. Worth it, but I read a thing saying that he (and Jefferson will break it, or vice versa whoever signs last) will become the highest paid non qb in nfl history

Overpaid Zeke.
Don't be to derail the thread, but sure, we disagree. The most valuable sports franchise on the planet, ranked 32 out of 32 teams in cash spent on said franchise over a full decade.

What is the meaning of being cheap?

unwilling to spend money

unwilling to spend money: He's so cheap he didn't even buy me a card for my birthday. SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases. Mean with money. begrudge.

Reports out today (Schefter, I think) that Howie has been calling around looking to move up. And other teams think they’re looking for a CB.

🙏 Please, God, Mitchell or Arnold!

Reports out today (Schefter, I think) that Howie has been calling around looking to move up. And other teams think they’re looking for a CB.

Just trade 22 and a future 2nd/3rd for Surtain, I say. Broncos I think want to move up to get a QB

But, they did JUST feature Surtain in their video of those awful new unis they have, so he might not be on the block or available at all .

At the same time, you'd think they'd want to lock up a key guy like this the moment he is eligible, kinda like we just did w Devonta

I can dream!

Just trade 22 and a future 2nd/3rd for Surtain, I say. Broncos I think want to move up to get a QB

But, they did JUST feature Surtain in their video of those awful new unis they have, so he might not be on the block or available at all .

At the same time, you'd think they'd want to lock up a key guy like this the moment he is eligible, kinda like we just did w Devonta

I can dream!
Honestly, that's probably a big overpay for Surtain. He's good, but he's only had 1 really good year out of 3. It was a great year, but he's gonna want big money. I'd probably rather have a cheaper rookie.

I can dream!
Honestly, that's probably a big overpay for Surtain. He's good, but he's only had 1 really good year out of 3. It was a great year, but he's gonna want big money. I'd probably rather have a cheaper rookie.
That one good year was the only year under Vic Fangio, probably not a coincidence. And he's proven, vs a rookie its "I hope so" and the system isn't super simple either, so it might be a few years until said rookie gets to his ceiling. And this team feels like a "win now" team so I'd definitely be in on Surtain. Maybe not as expensive as what I said, but if we traded draft capital for him I'd be over the moon.

I can dream!
That one good year was the only year under Vic Fangio, probably not a coincidence. And he's proven, vs a rookie its "I hope so" and the system isn't super simple either, so it might be a few years until said rookie gets to his ceiling. And this team feels like a "win now" team so I'd definitely be in on Surtain. Maybe not as expensive as what I said, but if we traded draft capital for him I'd be over the moon.
If it were the two mid/late 2nd rounders, I'd be more on board.

Eagles Draft Prediction Contest! Winner gets a smorgasbord of Eagles swag.

Entries due by noon, Thursday. Respond with the following 4 predictions:
  1. Trade Up/Trade Down/Stay at #22 (2 points)
  2. Listed position of player taken with first Eagles pick of the draft (3 points)
  3. Name of player taken with first Eagles pick of the draft (4 points)
  4. Total number of letters in the given first and last name of last Eagles pick (Tie breaker)
Good luck!

2. Listed position of player taken with first Eagles pick of the draft (3 points)
  4. Total number of letters in the given first and last name of last Eagles pick (Tie breaker)
Good luck!
  1. Trade Up
  2. CB
  3. Terrion Arnold
  4. 17(Tie breaker)

Guy should be permanently banned.

How come? Do you know the severity of his bets compared to those others that were suspended?

Good luck!

1. Trade Up
2. OT
3. Taliese Fuaga
4. 12

How come? Do you know the severity of his bets compared to those others that were suspended?
He bet directly on his team's performance. That should be a death sentence for anyone doing that.

He bet directly on his team's performance. That should be a death sentence for anyone doing that.
Did he bet against his team? Or for his team to win? I generally agree with you, but there’s definitely a distinction between the two. The former implies that he could’ve done things to throw games.

The rule is now its a 2 year ban. Its not a death sentence and per the rules, it doesn't call for a permanent ban either.

They changed this rule *after* he was suspended fwiw

Users who are viewing this thread