What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

32 team leagues, how does your league handle QB's? (1 Viewer)

kurtrudder

Footballguy
I'd like to hear as many ideas as possible in relation to this. In a 32 team, single player dynasty league, I'm interested in people who have played in these kinds of leagues and hearing success and failure stories of how the league handled QB's.

I'm in the process of creating a start up 32 team dynasty league, salary cap/auction etc and I thought about it for quite a long time. We decided to go with the Team QB concept but it was a tough one for me. I'm not thrilled with it but I've really found it hard to find any better solutions for this kind of league. If teams didn't have a starting QB, they would fall to pieces immediately and the balance of the league and subsequent longevity would become serious issues. As a commish, that last statement I made is paramount and I must always see things through this lens. The league is deep enough (45 man rosters) as it is so a level of parity here (team QB's) was a must in my opinion.

That said, I've always open to new ideas and I'd love to hear quality suggestions with how to handle the QB scenario.

Feel free to offer links to leagues and their rules you have heard of, played in or even previous discussions in the SP that would be helpful. Like to hear the pros and cons of all of this stuff so I can distill the information from the SP and hopefully create the best league I can.

cheers
CK

In our 32 team league we used players instead of team QB, which I'd encourage. It helps force tough decisions - Peyton at a certain price requires different analysis than Broncos QB. We have escalating contracts so at some point most players who are expensive now will be put back into the pool, though those who seemingly come out of nowhere will continue to be values.

We did schedule in coordination with your QB, so if your QB was on a bye, the team you'd be playing against would also have their QB on a bye.

You can also try to manage scoring so the top 20 players aren't mostly QBs.

The $250 fee is going to be a killer with 32 team leagues as teams get unbalanced which they usually will. I know I'd be interested in another 32 team league but at that price you can expect mass turnover.

In our 32 team league we used players instead of team QB, which I'd encourage. It helps force tough decisions - Peyton at a certain price requires different analysis than Broncos QB. We have escalating contracts so at some point most players who are expensive now will be put back into the pool, though those who seemingly come out of nowhere will continue to be values.

We did schedule in coordination with your QB, so if your QB was on a bye, the team you'd be playing against would also have their QB on a bye.

The $250 fee is going to be a killer with 32 team leagues as teams get unbalanced which they usually will. I know I'd be interested in another 32 team league but at that price you can expect mass turnover.
So how do you handle it as individual QBs? Are there position limits in place for QB?

I don't see how you can schedule in conjuction with QB's effectively unless teams are not allowed to trade.

This league will be our 12th, all of which are higher stakes around the $250 mark. We have no issue with filling the leagues. I didn't really understand your last point about expecting mass turnover due to the price. My experience is exactly the opposite. Players investing this kind of money have more skin in the game, have much more committment to their teams and to the league in general. I've seen it too many times that a team going down the toilet in a $50 league just bails on everyone, won't set rosters or will just leave because it isn't going to plan. That kind of scenario is non-existant in all of the leagues I play with this level of investment.

So how do you handle it as individual QBs? Are there position limits in place for QB?

I don't see how you can schedule in conjuction with QB's effectively unless teams are not allowed to trade.

This league will be our 12th, all of which are higher stakes around the $250 mark. We have no issue with filling the leagues. I didn't really understand your last point about expecting mass turnover due to the price. My experience is exactly the opposite. Players investing this kind of money have more skin in the game, have much more committment to their teams and to the league in general. I've seen it too many times that a team going down the toilet in a $50 league just bails on everyone, won't set rosters or will just leave because it isn't going to plan. That kind of scenario is non-existant in all of the leagues I play with this level of investment.
My point is just if teams fall apart due to key injuries or bad luck, the price tag may be a reason they leave as they see that they'll be unlikely to compete in the next few years. Maybe not in your experience and with these owners, so maybe it's a non-factor. I do believe that if you have teams leave in more expensive leagues, you have a more difficult time filling those spots unless you're able to give incentives like a free year or two.

Scheduling around QB bye weeks isn't difficult. If the team trades, they just run the risk of being short handed against a full team. Not a big issue.

We didn't set limits on QB, but their prices tend to discourage hoarding. I started 2013 with Peyton and Foles who was much cheaper than he should have been IMO. But then I screwed up and traded Foles. :bag:

We have a few rules in place regarding future fees etc to discourage abandoning the league. Also league parity type incentives to get orphaned teams claimed. Working well so far.

Anyhoo, getting off topic, would like to hear more well developed ideas how best to handle the 32 team league with QBs. Pitfalls, bad ideas are always good to hear also. Interested in as many perspectives as possible

Our 32 team league is heading into it's 13 year. After a lot of back and forth, we went with the TM QB (and TM K). It's the fairest way that we could come up with that wouldn't leave some teams putting up a zero at the position every week. On bye weeks, we just carry over their score from the previous week. After 13 years (and an influx of new owners over that time) we've never had anyone complain...

Out of curiosity, do any of you do 32 team leagues, individual QBs in a serpentine redraft? I would imagine roughly 20+ QBs are gone by the end of the 2nd round. I am not sure I like that.

Sweet Love said:
Out of curiosity, do any of you do 32 team leagues, individual QBs in a serpentine redraft? I would imagine roughly 20+ QBs are gone by the end of the 2nd round. I am not sure I like that.
We have three 32 team leagues but they were all double player/2 copy leagues. Those leagues are individual QB/Serp draft.

I know where you are coming from. I think though that different league structures create different strategies and different values. I can see that a 32 team league, single player with individual QB's would increase the value of QBs. The increase in value wouldn't rival a 2 QB league but I would think the top 20 QB's would certainly have more. I would be really surprised if it was 20+ by the end of the 2nd, that kind of increase would probably be more akin to a 2QB league. I think the changes in values is what scares some people off 2 QB leagues. Personally, I love different strategies/values etc and adapting to it.

Would be interested to see some examples of start up drafts though that you mentioned Sweet Love.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread