What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers rejected trade offer for Lelie (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
49ers | Team rejected trade involving Lelie

Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:02:42 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers rejected a trade with the Denver Broncos that involved Broncos WR Ashley Lelie. The Broncos were shopping Lelie for a second-round pick. 49ers vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan said, "He does have some talent. He's more of a vertical guy, outside the numbers, and can stretch the field, but we had some issues with other things. (I'm) not saying he wouldn't fit in, but ... what kind of football player are we going to have when it's said and done?" He said the team would be interested if the Broncos' asking price drops dramatically.

:popcorn:

Is it just me? Does anyone think Lelie is worth a 2nd Rd pick? I know teams like to ask high and work down, but a 2nd for Lelie just sounds outrageous to me.

Is it just me? Does anyone think Lelie is worth a 2nd Rd pick? I know teams like to ask high and work down, but a 2nd for Lelie just sounds outrageous to me.
Seems reasonable. Hes one of the top 4-5 deep threats in the game. Still has plenty of potential to get better.

A change of scenery would do wonders for him though. Hes not a West Coast WR, and that has limited his effectiveness.

Seems reasonable. Hes one of the top 4-5 deep threats in the game. Still has plenty of potential to get better.

A change of scenery would do wonders for him though. Hes not a West Coast WR, and that has limited his effectiveness.
I hope the 9ers don't get Lelie. I don't want to see Alex Smith connecting to Ashley Lelie for 90 yard bombs while burning my Rams cornerbacks for many years to come! We suffered enough when Steve Young and Jerry Rice shredded us (and everyone else, really)!

Would have been a great signing for the 49ers, they should have pulled the trigger. Team Lelie up with Antonio Bryant and Vernon Davis......with Alex Smith there to learn with the three of them, could be something special.

I think Lelie is under rated. He is a big time down field threat and does good things for the guy on the other side. A second round pick seems very resonable. If Sinorice Moss and Santonio Holmes are worthy of a 1st round pick, then Lelie is worth a second.

yes its outrageous. Lelie has shown very little to distinguish himself, for my money Lloyd was better in context in San Fran, than Lelie has been in a better offense in Denver. Burleson was gotten for a 3rd and Lelie isnt that good in my mind....

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope the 9ers don't get Lelie. I don't want to see Alex Smith connecting to Ashley Lelie for 90 yard bombs while burning my Rams cornerbacks for many years to come! We suffered enough when Steve Young and Jerry Rice shredded us (and everyone else, really)!
I think Lelie with the 49ers would be a poor fit. He really needs to go to an established team with an offense already in place, preferably with a strong running game and passing game based around play action. Lelie isnt the type of reciever you want trying to come short and over the middle to help develop your rookie QB. Off the top of my head, for the teams that have a need, Lelie would make an excellent Chief, Charger, Dolphin, or Falcon.

:no: He might be better than he's played, he might be better than I give him credit for, but one of th top 5 deep threats? Not a chance.

yes its outrageous. Lelie has shown very little to distinguish himself, fir my money Lloyd was better in context in San Fran, than Lelie has been in a better offense in Denver. Burleson was gotten for a 3rd and Lelie isnt that good in my mind....
Burleson was had for a huge contract, not just a third. Money was the issue there.Second, to say Burleson is better than Lelie is a friggin joke. Burleson was handed the #1 spot on a platter and he did squat, then got hurt and came back and still sucked. Why someone gave that guy all that money is beyond me.

I wont argue that I would rather have Brandon Lloyd, but Lelie is a lot better than Burleson in my opinion.

I think Lelie with the 49ers would be a poor fit. He really needs to go to an established team with an offense already in place, preferably with a strong running game and passing game based around play action. Lelie isnt the type of reciever you want trying to come short and over the middle to help develop your rookie QB. Off the top of my head, for the teams that have a need, Lelie would make an excellent Chief, Charger, Dolphin, or Falcon.
If he were a free agent, sure. established passing game and Atlanta don't work together, I'd prefer White and Jenkins anyway.

Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Giants would be better.

If he were a free agent, sure. established passing game and Atlanta don't work together, I'd prefer White and Jenkins anyway.

Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Giants would be better.
In order, no need(Krob/Williamson), definitely not the right style(Lelie just isnt physical enough all around to be a Steeler), and again, not the right style(They already have a deep threat in Burress, they need someone running intermediate ins and outs, and thats not Lelie.)

:no: He might be better than he's played, he might be better than I give him credit for, but one of th top 5 deep threats? Not a chance.
Any particular reason? Or just....hes not?Hes 6'3, runs in the 4.3 range, uses his body and hands incredibly well downfield.

With the exception of Moss, I dont know that theres a better deep threat(meaning someone who gets 30+ yards downfield before catching the ball) in the game.

Any particular reason? Or just....hes not?Hes 6'3, runs in the 4.3 range, uses his body and hands incredibly well downfield.

With the exception of Moss, I dont know that theres a better deep threat(meaning someone who gets 30+ yards downfield before catching the ball) in the game.
But he is a HUGE underachiever!! Great he can outrun people once and a while and catch a deep ball, but other than that, he is worthless. He shys from contact. He isn't even a good player on short WR screens or (worse yet) he plays second fiddle to a guy many years his age on WR end arounds.

I think Denver is going to be happy to get anything they can for him rather than see him just walk.

But he is a HUGE underachiever!! Great he can outrun people once and a while and catch a deep ball, but other than that, he is worthless. He shys from contact. He isn't even a good player on short WR screens or (worse yet) he plays second fiddle to a guy many years his age on WR end arounds.

I think Denver is going to be happy to get anything they can for him rather than see him just walk.
What does any of that have to do with him being a deep threat?Hes not a top 25 NFL WR...but for a deep threat, a guy who gets deep downfield and catches the ball, hes one of the best in the league.

yes its outrageous. Lelie has shown very little to distinguish himself, fir my money Lloyd was better in context in San Fran, than Lelie has been in a better offense in Denver. Burleson was gotten for a 3rd and Lelie isnt that good in my mind....
Burleson was had for a huge contract, not just a third. Money was the issue there.Second, to say Burleson is better than Lelie is a friggin joke. Burleson was handed the #1 spot on a platter and he did squat, then got hurt and came back and still sucked. Why someone gave that guy all that money is beyond me.

I wont argue that I would rather have Brandon Lloyd, but Lelie is a lot better than Burleson in my opinion.
The Burleson contact was not all that big, the total walue was a joke to tweak Minnesota after the Hutchinson Signing and there is no way Nate sees the Final years of that deal and he knows it. Burleson had a very good year and then got hurt. Lelie was handed oppotunity after opportunity and has disappointed so much so that he cant even beat out an 84 year old Rod Smith on the Depth chart. Lelie (or is that Lei-Lei) and a buck should get you a cup of 7/11 coffee though :lmao:

The Burleson contact was not all that big, the total walue was a joke to tweak Minnesota after the Hutchinson Signing and there is no way nate sees the Final years of that deal and he knows it. Burleson had a very good year and then got hurt. Lelie was handed oppotunity after opportunity and has disappointed so much so that he cant even beat out an 84 year old Rod Smith on the Depth chart. Lelire and a buck should get you a cup of 7/11 coffee though
Exactly...its 4yrs, $14mil, with $5mil to sign. I dont know why people are still having a hard time with that.

What does any of that have to do with him being a deep threat?Hes not a top 25 NFL WR...but for a deep threat, a guy who gets deep downfield and catches the ball, hes one of the best in the league.
But that does not equal 2nd round value.I have watched every game he has played in the NFL and this guy is not a quality NFL WR. Sure he may catch a long ball now and then, but this does not equal a productive NFL WR1 or WR2 perhaps a WR3 .

:shrug: I'll take at the minimum, Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, probably AJ, and maybe Jerry Porter. that's just the minimum, I'm sure I've left some out.

It's not that he's not worth the pick, but that he's not worth that high of a pick and the new contract a team will have to give him.

The Burleson contact was not all that big, the total walue was a joke to tweak Minnesota after the Hutchinson Signing and there is no way nate sees the Final years of that deal and he knows it. Burleson had a very good year and then got hurt. Lelie was handed oppotunity after opportunity and has disappointed so much so that he cant even beat out an 84 year old Rod Smith on the Depth chart. Lelire and a buck should get you a cup of 7/11 coffee though
Exactly...its 4yrs, $14mil, with $5mil to sign. I dont know why people are still having a hard time with that.
That's not that huge, but why would a team pay Lelie that kind of money and give up a 2nd for him? Just wait until next year when he's a free agent and they will be able to get him without giving up a pick. There's a big difference between the pick the late 3rd the Seahawks gave up and an early 2nd.

:shrug: I'll take at the minimum, Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, probably AJ, and maybe Jerry Porter. that's just the minimum, I'm sure I've left some out.
:o Jerry Porter?Lelie has averaged 18.3 and 20.8 yards per catch over the past two years, both times leading the league. I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I would guess hes lead the league in passes over 20+ yards caught in each of the last two years also, despite catching far fewer passes than a CJ or Steve Smith or etc.

I think you are mistaking good all-around WRs for the argument Im making, which is, if I want a guy to pick me up 30+ yards on a deep throw, I want Lelie before I want Steve Smith or AJ, or Smoss. Ill give you CJ, but the rest of those guys are YAC guys for the most part, not deep threats.

A lot of that money was gauranteed though. A lot for a guy who has proven absolutely nothing.

like lei lei has? if he's proven anything its that he's a Mediocre receiver despite playing for a pretty good offensive team. Id say he was no better than the fifth best player on offense. you'll be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him, and i'd venture to say hes not worth anything more than a 4th.

I'll take at the minimum, Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, probably AJ, and maybe Jerry Porter. that's just the minimum, I'm sure I've left some out.
:o Jerry Porter?Lelie has averaged 18.3 and 20.8 yards per catch over the past two years, both times leading the league. I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I would guess hes lead the league in passes over 20+ yards caught in each of the last two years also, despite catching far fewer passes than a CJ or Steve Smith or etc.

I think you are mistaking good all-around WRs for the argument Im making, which is, if I want a guy to pick me up 30+ yards on a deep throw, I want Lelie before I want Steve Smith or AJ, or Smoss. Ill give you CJ, but the rest of those guys are YAC guys for the most part, not deep threats.
i think you're mistaking the fact that these WRs bring more to the field for their lack of ability as a deep threat. If the game is on the line, I need a 30+ yard completion, I'll take any of the guys I listed above Lelie.

Randy doesn't go deep as much, but I still want him out there if the game is on the line.

20+ yard completions

Lelie: 2005 12, 2004 21, 2003 11

SMoss: 2005 24, 2004 13, 2003 17

SSmith: 2005 22, 2003 16, 2002 18

Glenn: 2005 18, 2004 7, 2003 14

AJ: 2005 4, 2004 18, 2003 14

Porter: 2005 14, 2004 17, 2003 5

Evans: 2005 10, 2004 12

40+ yard completions

Lelie: 2005 5, 2004 5, 2003 5

SMoss: 2005 10, 2004 6, 2003 5

SSmith: 2005 7, 2003 4, 2002 4

Glenn: 2005 7, 2004 1, 2003 2

AJ: 2005 1, 2004 3, 2003 4

Porter: 2005 2, 2004 5, 2003 0

Evans: 2005 7, 2004 6

So maybe Porter shouldn't be in the discussion, ok. You gave me CJ. This isn't taking other elite WRs into account, like TO, Marvin, etc.

FWIW, Terry Glenn tied Lelie's YPC this year.

Lelie admittedly does better with the occasional deep pass than I gave him credit for, but if the game's on the line, I need a 30 yard TD, and I have my pick of WRs, Lelie's name wouldn't be a consideration. A high average doesn't mean much when that's all he can do.

I think this is mighty interesting.

Around the time of the trade Lelie starts shooting his mouth, IIRC a bit before - perhaps because he wanted to go. Seems like he was told something was going down and starting counting all the millions he was going to get.

The offer Lellie for SFs 2nd rounder obviously predates the consummated trade - since that pick actually changed hands.

To me that says that Denver feels that there is a plateau in the early second that they wanted to explore - and probably a plateau that goes from just after 22nd - through 29th - and into the 2nd round.

I'll be very surprised if Shanny doesn't pick a RB with one of the niners' picks.

I'd venture that Chad Jackson goes #15 and a RB is picked #37.

Lelie is definatly is worth more than a 2nd rounder. I dont really understand the need of trying to ship Lelie out of Denver, unless Denver has another sleeper prospect (other than Chad Jackson) in this draft. I know the Broncos love Charlie Adams and Darius Watts, but once Rod is out of there, the team is in some serious need at that position.

Lelie is definatly is worth more than a 2nd rounder.
More than 2nd, no offense but whatever your smoking must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there. cause you couldnt get a first for LeiLei if you were trading with his grandmama. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seems reasonable. Hes NOT one of the top 4-5 deep threats in the game. Still NOT has plenty of potential to get better.
fixed ...

:X He has speed that it. He sucks at everything else. He is a 3rd WR in the NFL. Denver knows it.

Hmmm... Better Value?

Thomas Jones for a 3rd?

Ashley Lelie for a 2nd? :lmao:

"tap-tap-tap. cough..."

"Attention Northwest Flight JW-84 from Green Bay... You have been cleared for landing. Denver International over & out. Copy?"

Users who are viewing this thread