What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers WRs (1 Viewer)

Shaun Hill has locked down the QB job, so who will he really be throwing to? Of course SF will lean heavily on Gore, but when they are forced to pass who will be targeted most often? Crabtree is still in the wind, so does Bruce have enough left in the tank to make an impact this season? Or will Josh Morgan make good on his oft-touted sleeper status, despite an unimpressive preseason? Is there anyone else in the WR stable who is worth taking a look at?

Yes.

I took a hard look at Hill today and the SF schedule. He threw for 2000+ and 13TDs in 8 starts last year after taking over for what's his name, that #1 draft pick, oh yea Alex Smith.

It's obviously not an exact science, but the 49ers are improved this year, so it's not unrealistic to expect 3800 and 25+.

Without Crabtree, I think Morgan may just be a very quiet 900+ 8TD+ WR this year!

Someone on that team is getting 1000 receiving yards this year. And it won't be Issac Bruce.
I actually don't think anyone on that team is going to hit 1K. Hill doesn't have the Martz offense anymore. The defense is going to be quite a bit better, so you're not going to see the 49ers down by two touchdowns early in the second quarter as often (might happen against Arizona this week, though). The offensive game plan is going to involve grinding out the clock with the running game and playing a field position battle with the other team. Battle, Bruce, and Morgan will probably all end up with around 600-800 yards receiving, with the TEs and RBs getting the rest. Very little WR upside in this offense, even for Morgan.

It's a shame how Jason Hill has fallen. He has the tools and showed flashes late last season. When Crabtree was taken in the draft I thought wow 3 young talented WRs in Crabtree, Morgan and Hill will have big roles to play.

How wrong I have been, Crabtree is fantasy wasteland this season and Morgan and Hill have been that uninspiring that it looks like Bruce and Battle could start, plus throw in Brandon Jones and who the bloody hell knows who will catch balls in SF. I picked up Morgan in an Auction league and took Crabtree in a rookie draft when he slid to 7th but I am wishing I never touched them. I still hold out hope for Morgan but I am starting to think Ike will be the WR to own in SF. He may have lost pace but with Hill throwing I doubt he can overthrow a sloth. My prediction plenty of dink and dunk throws to Bruce, VD, Walker and Gore.

It's a shame how Jason Hill has fallen. He has the tools and showed flashes late last season. When Crabtree was taken in the draft I thought wow 3 young talented WRs in Crabtree, Morgan and Hill will have big roles to play. How wrong I have been, Crabtree is fantasy wasteland this season and Morgan and Hill have been that uninspiring that it looks like Bruce and Battle could start, plus throw in Brandon Jones and who the bloody hell knows who will catch balls in SF. I picked up Morgan in an Auction league and took Crabtree in a rookie draft when he slid to 7th but I am wishing I never touched them. I still hold out hope for Morgan but I am starting to think Ike will be the WR to own in SF. He may have lost pace but with Hill throwing I doubt he can overthrow a sloth. My prediction plenty of dink and dunk throws to Bruce, VD, Walker and Gore.
Who is Jason Hill?????

It's a shame how Jason Hill has fallen. He has the tools and showed flashes late last season. When Crabtree was taken in the draft I thought wow 3 young talented WRs in Crabtree, Morgan and Hill will have big roles to play.

How wrong I have been, Crabtree is fantasy wasteland this season and Morgan and Hill have been that uninspiring that it looks like Bruce and Battle could start, plus throw in Brandon Jones and who the bloody hell knows who will catch balls in SF. I picked up Morgan in an Auction league and took Crabtree in a rookie draft when he slid to 7th but I am wishing I never touched them. I still hold out hope for Morgan but I am starting to think Ike will be the WR to own in SF. He may have lost pace but with Hill throwing I doubt he can overthrow a sloth. My prediction plenty of dink and dunk throws to Bruce, VD, Walker and Gore.
Who is Jason Hill?????
Jason Hill WR

Who is Jason Hill?????
Jason Hill WR
AGAIN.... N O !

Yes.I took a hard look at Hill today and the SF schedule. He threw for 2000+ and 13TDs in 8 starts last year after taking over for what's his name, that #1 draft pick, oh yea Alex Smith.It's obviously not an exact science, but the 49ers are improved this year, so it's not unrealistic to expect 3800 and 25+.Without Crabtree, I think Morgan may just be a very quiet 900+ 8TD+ WR this year!
Actually, Shaun Hill took over for JT O'Sullivan last year. Smith was recovering from shoulder surjury. IMO, the only 49er with the exception of Gore worth starting is VD. Tony Gonzales had the most productive years of his career while Jimmy Raye was the OC in KC. If Davis can only produce a fraction of those Gonzo numbers, his fantasy owners will be nothing but happy. Not saying he's going to, but the potential is sure there. And yes, I know he has potential every year and flames, but this year.....Im just saying

I've got Morgan in a few redraft leagues, but the more I think about him, the shorter his leash gets. Possibly beaten out for a starting spot? Ugh. I can easily see him being the first to go when I need a bye-week filler somewhere.

Morgan's a decent $1, end of the bench sleeper, but ultimately I don't expect anybody on the team to approach 1000 yards this year.

Morgan's a decent $1, end of the bench sleeper, but ultimately I don't expect anybody on the team to approach 1000 yards this year.
Morgan is a solid WR4 who could have been picked up very late in almost any draft who has decent upside. I think he is undervalued, and a very solid bye week sub. If Shaun Hill throws like he did last year, 1000 yards for Morgan is likely. Just few people see SF throwing as much. He should be the #1 WR target in SF which means he should be putting consistent points up each week and have several very nice weeks.

thecatch said:
:shrug: Yep, this is the bottom line when it comes to the WR's in San Fran.

thecatch said:
Morgan should be in the vicinity of 55-850-5, should be good enough as a low to mid WR3.

I have no clue why so many of you are ignoring Bruce. He's old, slow, and has limited upside, but he should make for a fine #4 wr. IIRC, he was a top 30 wr last year.

If you want more information on Vernon, go find that thread Faust started. We had a good discussion going in there...

I have no clue why so many of you are ignoring Bruce. He's old, slow, and has limited upside, but he should make for a fine #4 wr. IIRC, he was a top 30 wr last year. If you want more information on Vernon, go find that thread Faust started. We had a good discussion going in there...
Much like Jimmy Smith, Marvin Harrison, etc....at some point Bruce will simply be old and his production will plummet to zero. It's not unreasonable to think this is the year it happens.

It's certainly going to happen at some point, but I think in general, old guys are undervalued. If he stinks, so what? Cut him and move on. He costs virtually nothing to acquire, and his upside is top 30 - that's a legitimate starting wr on most ff teams.

Nobody on this team will be a top 10 wr. With Bruce, if he's not quite over the hill he'll produce. With Morgan, you have to gamble on a bit more.

No one stood out in the preseason. Morgan started, but he didn't make many impressive plays. He's not very fast or explosive.

The team handled Bruce with kiddy gloves this offseason. I think they expect him to be an important piece of the offense.

I would avoid these guys until the late rounds, where Morgan and Bruce are both worth a roll of the dice. It's a shame Crabtree didn't sign and practice because I think he could've been a factor right away here.

Josh Morgan? The guy who caught 300 yards and 3 TDs last year? This is who you're getting excited about?

What are you guys smoking? SF is loaded with mediocre talent from top to bottom, possibly excluding Gore. Move on.

Users who are viewing this thread