What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5 spot help (1 Viewer)

ztiwomik

Footballguy
The 5 spot is killing me! I don't know who to pick. I have decided that I am going to take Frank Gore if he falls to 5 ( but I'm pretty certain he won't) so I am evaluating these 3 as the guy I want at 5 and at some point I've decided each one is the guy to go with.

Can I get some opinions? Who would you go with or who of these you wouldn't go with at the 5. Why?

Help my trusted FBG subscribers

Just pick someone. You are going to get a different opinion for with each response and you will be left right where you started. If you want the consensus pick then check the FBG rankings and choose that guy.

Draft your team. Put your stamp on it, not everyone else's.

Pick the guy you like.

ETA: If you want me to draft your team for you send me a PM. My fees are low but please note that past returns are not a guarantee of similar outcomes in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like you "can't go wrong" with Addai - the other two raise concerns. (They will likely do well, but since we're splitting hairs)...

I like Willie Parker, but I believe we've seen his ceiling (and a high ceiling it was), I expect him to come back to earth a bit this year. I think he'll be a fine RB1, but I don't expect last year all over again. I think the (anticipated) emergence of Santonio Holmes and a change in philosophy to moving the ball through the air a bit more will hold his numbers to about 85% of last years.

Shaun Alexander scares me. The end comes fast for RBs at age 30, and he was dinged much of last year. The OL is not what it once was. I don't expect him to finish as a RB1 in scoring this season.

I was NOT high on Joe Addai coming out of college, in fact, I thought he was the 2nd coming of Justin Fargas - a workout warrior who's attributes wouldn't translate to on field success. I now think I was incredibly wrong. I think he has the perfect blend of talent and opportunity, and I think those that skip him for anyone not named LaDanian, Steven or Larry will be sad at the end of the season. I would not rule out the chance of him being the #1 RB at years end.

I feel like you "can't go wrong" with Addai - the other two raise concerns. (They will likely do well, but since we're splitting hairs)... I like Willie Parker, but I believe we've seen his ceiling (and a high ceiling it was), I expect him to come back to earth a bit this year. I think he'll be a fine RB1, but I don't expect last year all over again. I think the (anticipated) emergence of Santonio Holmes and a change in philosophy to moving the ball through the air a bit more will hold his numbers to about 85% of last years.Shaun Alexander scares me. The end comes fast for RBs at age 30, and he was dinged much of last year. The OL is not what it once was. I don't expect him to finish as a RB1 in scoring this season.I was NOT high on Joe Addai coming out of college, in fact, I thought he was the 2nd coming of Justin Fargas - a workout warrior who's attributes wouldn't translate to on field success. I now think I was incredibly wrong. I think he has the perfect blend of talent and opportunity, and I think those that skip him for anyone not named LaDanian, Steven or Larry will be sad at the end of the season. I would not rule out the chance of him being the #1 RB at years end.
I just pulled the 3 spot in my second 14-teamer, and I'm thinking about taking him over LJ @ 3. Will be a tough call.

The love for Addai is kind of funny given that a "certain" video that was published on this site shot him down like a clay pigeon.

Seems to me that Addai is the most controversial first round pick of the year. A lot of people are going to be eating crow because it is a 50/50 split on this guy.

I have the 5 also and am going addai....I thought about travis henry here until the injury.

addai

parker

s alexander

The love for Addai is kind of funny given that a "certain" video that was published on this site shot him down like a clay pigeon.

Seems to me that Addai is the most controversial first round pick of the year. A lot of people are going to be eating crow because it is a 50/50 split on this guy.
Link...?

Is Gore over Addai a no brainer? I am having some hesitation with that assumption. I think I'm overly worried about Gore's loss Of Norv Turner after seeing what happened to Lamont Jordan 1 year post-Norv.

Go with Addai. Gore may fall to you though.
I drafted five and Gore was gone. I don't like Addai bec I don't think he can go a full season as the featured guy. I worry about Alexander bec the line isn't any better than last year and while they say he is healthy...at his age it concerns me. So, I went with the player that I think has the best chance of being a top three player, Travis Henry. He probably will go around 9 or 10 in most drafts, but that meant I wouldn't get him. Given that offense, and how well he has done in much less prolific offenses, I think he has a legitimate chance to get 1500 yards and 15 TDs. I don't think he will be replaced bec Denver went out to get him and is paying him good $. He is an injury concern too, but he plays injured.

Go with Addai. Gore may fall to you though.
I drafted five and Gore was gone. I don't like Addai bec I don't think he can go a full season as the featured guy. I worry about Alexander bec the line isn't any better than last year and while they say he is healthy...at his age it concerns me. So, I went with the player that I think has the best chance of being a top three player, Travis Henry. He probably will go around 9 or 10 in most drafts, but that meant I wouldn't get him. Given that offense, and how well he has done in much less prolific offenses, I think he has a legitimate chance to get 1500 yards and 15 TDs. I don't think he will be replaced bec Denver went out to get him and is paying him good $. He is an injury concern too, but he plays injured.
This is my first post. Been lurking for a while. Excellent forum.I agree with everything in this post, except I would substitute Willie's name for Travis Henry. Henry's injury, along with the O-Line injuries in Denver and Shanahan's general hatred for fantasy football would keep me from taking him until late in the first at best. I think you need less question marks from a pick this early, although it is quite possible that he turns out to be a top 5 RB if all the questions are answered.I think Willie is the closest thing in the 5 spot to a guarantee. He is money on short yardage carries (10 TD from inside the 5 last year) has no real competition, is a homerun threat, and catches a few passes. Plus, he has under 700 carries total in his career, so his legs are still very young.I worry about Addai. He was injury prone in college (I believe knee issues) and got dinged up in a much more limited role last year. He had 8 TD, but 4 came in one game. I dont like to discount the big game, but I still find that a stat worth noting. I know Willie got a ton of his yardage in 2 games also, and had a few clunkers against the top defenses - but overall I think Willie brings substantially less question marks than anyone else likely to be there at 5.

I'm also drafting 5 and I'll take Gore or LJ if they drop to me. If not, I'm going with Parker. I gave some thought to Henry but the injury made me rethink. That along with some additional research led me to Parker. But, in all honestly, I'm hoping somehow that Gore drops to me.

I'm also drafting 5 and I'll take Gore or LJ if they drop to me. If not, I'm going with Parker. I gave some thought to Henry but the injury made me rethink. That along with some additional research along with Footballguys man-crush with Parker led me to Parker. But, in all honestly, I'm hoping somehow that Gore drops to me.
Fixed...

WarRedbirds said:
I'm also drafting 5 and I'll take Gore or LJ if they drop to me. If not, I'm going with Parker. I gave some thought to Henry but the injury made me rethink. That along with some additional research along with Footballguys man-crush with Parker led me to Parker. But, in all honestly, I'm hoping somehow that Gore drops to me.
Fixed...
I'm hearing more love for Addai on this board than anything else, and I'm not going near him. I thank you for your insight, and I'll be taking Parker at 5 if Gore isn't there.

Right now Willie Parker is the best player of the three. That alone should be reason enough. The schedule though is what seals it for me.

Browns twice, Bengals twice, NFC West (which says it all), Jets, Bills, Talent + Schedule= Monster season. The playoffs could be rough going against the Patriots and the Jaguars but you've gotta make the playoffs before you can worry about the playoffs.

Ya, I'd do as much research as you can and then make your decision on that. Nobody on these boards whether they're the most experienced or towards the novice end of the spectrum know for sure who's actually going to be better in FF this year between FWP, Alexander and Addai.

It looks like Pittsburgh tends to want to pass the ball more this year......so if you believe that, then although Parker will have a great year either way, can he really do what he did last year?

Addai? Still has something to prove to me. Yes, he's in that offense but still.....to me if you believe in him he's an easy No. 4 pick, if you don't like me he slides down the board a few more spots, which he doesn't which is why I don't have him on any of the teams I own.

I have drafted 5 and 6 a couple times already and have Alexander. If I picked 4th I'd take him. I just don't see a real reason why he can't get back to the form he had 2 years ago. Of course if he gets hurt he won't, but I'd say the same thing about Addai who has to prove he can do it.

Either way, make sure it's your gut feeling and don't point fingers in the end if it doesn't work out.

We all take credit for when we the big games during the year and any championships we might end up winning and we have to do the same when things don't fall our way. If it's a bad pick and someone ends up rubbing it in during the year, I just grit my teeth and say," yep, it sure was" without giving them anymore ammo to go on and just focus on trying to beat down that owner whenver it is we play.

Right now Willie Parker is the best player of the three. That alone should be reason enough. The schedule though is what seals it for me. Browns twice, Bengals twice, NFC West (which says it all), Jets, Bills, Talent + Schedule= Monster season. The playoffs could be rough going against the Patriots and the Jaguars but you've gotta make the playoffs before you can worry about the playoffs.
This is true but I want to point something out. Last year, I had FWP and S. Jackson. (ty ty) and it was week 16 I believe, as it was the semi's in our league and I had far away the best team based on my record and overall point going into that game vs. my opponenet. Jackson went off and ended up getting me like 44 points in our scoring system but FWP was up against Baltimore and got me ZERO points.As great as he did all year, that zero cost me as I lost by 9 to an overachieving team. That same team won again the following week in the SB of our league, I played for 3rd place and both my RB's went off with the rest of my team and WOULD I have played that same again in weel 17, i would have won by 30 points.So, although you're right, you have to get there........you can definately have the best team and not win the big game due to poor matchups.

Ya, I'd do as much research as you can and then make your decision on that. Nobody on these boards whether they're the most experienced or towards the novice end of the spectrum know for sure who's actually going to be better in FF this year between FWP, Alexander and Addai.It looks like Pittsburgh tends to want to pass the ball more this year......so if you believe that, then although Parker will have a great year either way, can he really do what he did last year?Addai? Still has something to prove to me. Yes, he's in that offense but still.....to me if you believe in him he's an easy No. 4 pick, if you don't like me he slides down the board a few more spots, which he doesn't which is why I don't have him on any of the teams I own.I have drafted 5 and 6 a couple times already and have Alexander. If I picked 4th I'd take him. I just don't see a real reason why he can't get back to the form he had 2 years ago. Of course if he gets hurt he won't, but I'd say the same thing about Addai who has to prove he can do it.Either way, make sure it's your gut feeling and don't point fingers in the end if it doesn't work out.We all take credit for when we the big games during the year and any championships we might end up winning and we have to do the same when things don't fall our way. If it's a bad pick and someone ends up rubbing it in during the year, I just grit my teeth and say," yep, it sure was" without giving them anymore ammo to go on and just focus on trying to beat down that owner whenver it is we play.
Fair points, I just don't see how Pittsburgh's desire to open up the passing game is going to hurt Parker.It will help spread the field more, giving Parker more space, where supposedly he excels.If the passing game is successful, it will help move the chains and give more opportunities.If it's not, they'll revert to the run.More passing eats less clock, more plays.Parker was a capable receiver out of the backfield last year (31 receptions along with 3 TDs). That would increase theoretically.If Parker was a typical plodding, heavy tailback, I could see where the more open attack may pinch his numbers, but Parker seems like the type of back who can excel in a more aggressive offensive approach.

Users who are viewing this thread