What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

50 movies for 50 states. What movie should represent your state? (1 Viewer)

Yahoo is republishing a list it put together last year of 50 movies for 50 states, one movie to represent each of the United States of America.

MASSACHUSETTS – The Town

Director and star Ben Affleck grew adult in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and he didn’t skip a pretence in capturing a sum of life in a crime-driven Boston area of Charlestown in this instrumentation of Chuck Hogan’s novel Prince of Thieves.
Wrong Ben Affleck movie. Good Will Hunting is a much better flick and has many more memorable scenes about life in Boston. Harvard Square, The University, Fenway Park, Southies, etc.

Feel bad for North Dakota. All they have is the movie "Fargo," and about 5 minutes of the movie takes place there. But I also don't know of anything else set there.

PENNSYLVANIA – Groundhog DayWithout Punxsutawney’s favorite groundhog and his annual weather-predicting ritual, Bill Murray would have been deprived one of his excellent roles. This talented comedy celebrates a minutia of parochial life, not to discuss a Pennsylvania Polka.
:bs: Everybody knows the correct answer is Night of the Living Dead.
Plus they decided Punxsutawney sucked and filmed it in Illinois.
They also filmed Major League - not in Cleveland - but in MILWAUKEE!! :wall:

Yahoo is republishing a list it put together last year of 50 movies for 50 states, one movie to represent each of the United States of America.

MASSACHUSETTS – The Town

Director and star Ben Affleck grew adult in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and he didn’t skip a pretence in capturing a sum of life in a crime-driven Boston area of Charlestown in this instrumentation of Chuck Hogan’s novel Prince of Thieves.
Wrong Ben Affleck movie. Good Will Hunting is a much better flick and has many more memorable scenes about life in Boston. Harvard Square, The University, Fenway Park, Southies, etc.
AHHHHH!! LET'S GO BEAT UP SOME RICH KIDS! AHHHHHHHH!!!!

American Graffiti for California? Almost nothing distinctly Californian about it. Could have been set just about anywhere in America and been the same movie.

The problem with California is that there is such a divide between Northern and Southern California that it's hard to find one that really unifies the two. Great NoCal movies like Maltese Falcon, Veritgo and many others have no resonance with SoCal while films like Chinatown, Boyz N the Hood and many others fall flat on Northern audiences. I can't think of any film that really captures both regions very well at all.

If I had to pick one, it would probably be Sideways or Up in Smoke. Though both are set in Southern California, they each capture scenes and characters that many Northerners can easily relate to. Though wine geeks and self abosrbed snots can be found anywhere, California seems to be the hotbed of both and Sideways absolutely nails it. And if you haven't seen Up In Smoke for a few decades, its still funny and depicts a free living California from the 70s that you had to live in to understand.

Love Heathers but it doesnt remind me of Ohio at all. How about Rain Man?

Raymond: "I get my boxer shorts at K-Mart in Cincinnati"

Charlie: "We're not going back to Cincinnati, Ray, so don't even start with that"

Raymond:"Gotta get my boxer shorts at K-Mart"

Charlie: [Pulls over, gets out of the car and yells] WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE YOU BUY UNDERWEAR? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? UNDERWEAR IS UNDERWEAR! IT IS UNDERWEAR WHEREVER YOU BUY IT! IN CINCINNATI OR WHEREVER!
:goodposting:

Silence of The Lambs and Major League were two others that came to mind.

Does Virginia get D.C.? The list would be endless.

I'd submit, "Lawless" or "Greased Lightning" since they focused on my hometown area of Virginia.
I'm sure you've read the book Lawless was based on? Really good stuff, called The Wettest County in the World
Strangely enough...I'm related. Mom never let us associate with that side of the family though. There was a scene or two that was some of the old tales from back in the day from our family.

MASSACHUSETTS – The Town

This is the correct answer unless Jaws really bites you.. Also, There's Something About Mary has to be RI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie: "We're not going back to Cincinnati, Ray, so don't even start with that"

Charlie: [Pulls over, gets out of the car and yells] WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE YOU BUY UNDERWEAR? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? UNDERWEAR IS UNDERWEAR! IT IS UNDERWEAR WHEREVER YOU BUY IT! IN CINCINNATI OR WHEREVER!

Accepted is one of my college comedy favorites, I'd vote for it or Major League for Ohio.

Some more:

Florida - Scarface over Magic Mike

Alabama - Gotta be Forrest Gump, no? With all do respect to To Kill a Mockingbird, Gump is an homage to life in Alabama

Mississippi - Mississippi Burning. Duh.

MASSACHUSETTS The Town

Director and star Ben Affleck grew adult in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and he didnt skip a pretence in capturing a sum of life in a crime-driven Boston area of Charlestown in this instrumentation of Chuck Hogans novel Prince of Thieves.
This is the correct answer unless Jaws really bites you.. Also, There's Something About Mary has to be RI.
Super Troopers.

Dead Poets Society has absolutely nothing to do with Vermont. It was filmed in Delaware, and there are no snooty prep schools there - they're all in NH or Mass. Wo

Would go with White Christmas or Funny Farm

Texas- Dazed and Confused

Pennsylvania- Deer Hunter or All the Right Moves

Minnesota- Beautiful Girls

It's a patriotic display of 50 great films — each set in a different state of the Union. Together they form an epic saga of triumph, tragedy, and comedy.
"great films"? Florida got Magic Mike. <_< Seriously? Scarface down?

What film should represent YOUR state? Heres Yahoos list:

PENNSYLVANIA – Groundhog Day

Without Punxsutawney’s favorite groundhog and his annual weather-predicting ritual, Bill Murray would have been deprived one of his excellent roles. This talented comedy celebrates a minutia of parochial life, not to discuss a Pennsylvania Polka.
Whew, thought they were going to go with Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania- All the Right Moves
I saw this in the theater when it came out. When the one guy who married his GF was asked where they were going on their honeymoon and he replied "Pittsburgh", everyone busted out laughing.Unintentional comedy for those seeing it in western PA in the mid-80s.

Accepted is one of my college comedy favorites, I'd vote for it or Major League for Ohio.
I'll vote Tommy Boy.

I like Wild Things for Florida.

Also, there are no "the"s in that article except in the movie titles. Anywhere in the capsules that the word the would have been used, it's replaced with "a". Weird.

Also, there are no "the"s in that article except in the movie titles. Anywhere in the capsules that the word the would have been used, it's replaced with "a". Weird.
It's the most poorly written thing I have read in awhile and I teach special ed. students.

It's the most poorly written thing I have read in awhile and I teach special ed. students.
\

Heres the page I copied and pasted from:

http://www.mnnewsfeed.com/blaine/happy-birthday-america-here-are-50-films-for-50-states/

I think they need to fire that Blaine guy. A couple of items from his articles

http://www.mnnewsfeed.com/category/blaine/

Burglar strikes Coon Rapids store A rapist pennyless into Kathy’s Dairy Home store, 10490 Hanson Blvd., Coon Rapids, a early hours of Jun 28. A window was found crushed on a south side of a store when an worker arrived to open a store for business a morning of Jun 28. Video notice showed a think violation a window and entering a store during 2:28 a.m. He pressed cartons of cigarettes, lottery tickets, particular

The Yuwa Supergoats are a initial girls group from India to come to Minnesota. KARe Article source

Today in Major League Baseball: The National League races are parsimonious as a All-Star Break nears. All 3 NL groups are possibly tied or distant by usually a diversion between a tip dual teams. Baseball fans wish that this is binds over a subsequent dual months in sequence to emanate sparkling streamer races

Headline: Some Swansea City fans are gay a bar are in Chicago – they live there!

:lmao: jesus

There are a few different Floridas, no one movie really capturing them all. adaptation. is pretty good. Eventually a good Carl Hiaasen adaptation will happen and that will be a good one. You also have the 1991 smash hit Cool as Ice.

There are a few different Floridas, no one movie really capturing them all. adaptation. is pretty good. Eventually a good Carl Hiaasen adaptation will happen and that will be a good one. You also have the 1991 smash hit Cool as Ice.
As well as bad Boys w/Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. :unsure:

Face/Off for California. What captures the state better than two grown men going under the knife to get some work done on their face?

It's a patriotic display of 50 great films — each set in a different state of the Union. Together they form an epic saga of triumph, tragedy, and comedy.
"great films"? Florida got Magic Mike. <_< Seriously? Scarface down?

What film should represent YOUR state? Heres Yahoos list:

ILLINOIS – The Blues Brothers

Full of manic comedy, good music, and implausible follow sequences, The Blues Brothers is also an stately Chicago travelogue, capturing a warm, dirty vibe of a city from a downtown high-rises to a discord of a Maxwell Street market.

OKLAHOMA – The Outsiders

Francis Ford Coppola wasn’t fearful to play this instrumentation of S.E. Hinton’s novel on a extended regretful canvas, and a film’s Tulsa, Oklahoma, locations are usually as pleasing and imperishable as a story final — generally those stately sunsets.
Oklahoma - Agree, Outsiders is the first one I thought of. Illinois - Nope. Ferris Beuller or Risky Business

Users who are viewing this thread