What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

50 movies for 50 states. What movie should represent your state? (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
Yahoo is republishing a list it put together last year of 50 movies for 50 states, one movie to represent each of the United States of America.

It's a patriotic display of 50 great films — each set in a different state of the Union. Together they form an epic saga of triumph, tragedy, and comedy.
"great films"? Florida got Magic Mike. <_< Seriously? Scarface down?

What film should represent YOUR state? Heres Yahoos list:

ALABAMA – To Kill a Mockingbird
This classical instrumentation of Harper Lee’s novel richly captures a joys and sorrows of flourishing adult in a Depression-era South, and gives a shade one of a biggest and many eminent father total in Gregory Peck’s Atticus Finch.

ALASKA – Insomnia
A intelligent and underrated thriller with good performances by Al Pacino and Robin Williams, Insomnia is also a good showcase for a healthy beauty of Alaska and a mysteries of a prolonged nights though darkness.

ARIZONA – Raising Arizona
The Coen Brothers infer their wit is as dry as a Arizona feverishness in this flick, installed with follow scenes that all though surpass a aged Road Runner cartoons.

ARKANSAS – Sling Blade
A perceptive, infrequently harrowing demeanour during a elementary man’s onslaught with assault and redemption, Billy Bob Thornton’s breakthrough plan done abounding use of a counsel rhythms and colorful characters in a Arkansas settings.

CALIFORNIA – American Graffiti
It all happened one night in Modesto, California, as a handful of teenagers sought tour on a eve of a scattered ’60s. American Graffiti stays a stately evocation of a time and a place.

COLORADO – The Shining
Jack Torrence’s practice advise we wouldn’t wish to book a long-term stay during a Overlook Hotel. But a grand, ominous beauty of a place and a alpine vicinity — we know, before things got super frightful — make it demeanour like a good place to revisit in season.

CONNECTICUT – Far From Heaven
Todd Haynes’ loyalty to Douglas Sirk’s classical ’50s soap operas captures a abounding beauty of a old-money suburbs of Connecticut, as good as a regretful misunderstanding sneaking low underneath a well-appointed surfaces.

DELAWARE – Fight Club
It’s not mentioned in a movie, though a clever demeanour during Tyler Durden’s business label reveals his Paper Street devalue is located in Wilmington, so Delaware gets some bragging rights for one of film history’s wildest, many noted cult movies.

FLORIDA – Magic Mike
Both a waggish comedy and a pointed cautionary tale, Magic Mike creates Florida nightlife demeanour like a noted travel on a furious side. Being a masculine stripper in Tampa isn’t always easy, though Channing Tatum creates it demeanour like a whole lot of fun … for a tiny while.

GEORGIA – Gone With a Wind
One of Old Hollywood’s grandest creations, Gone With a Wind, is also a adore minute to life in Georgia before, during, and after a Civil War. Its opinion might be dated, though a wealthy technicolor beauty is still fresh.

HAWAII – From Here to Eternity
This mixed Oscar-winning play follows a handful of soldiers stationed in Hawaii usually before Pearl Harbor altered their lives forever. Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr’s late night float did some-more for a judgment of creation out on a beach than any film in history.

IDAHO – Napoleon Dynamite
Idaho might not be a trendiest locality in a nation, though Jon Heder (as Napoleon) proves that hipness and dance skills can make any place cool. Bonus: It also turns out Idaho is a good place to lift a llama!

ILLINOIS – The Blues Brothers
Full of manic comedy, good music, and implausible follow sequences, The Blues Brothers is also an stately Chicago travelogue, capturing a warm, dirty vibe of a city from a downtown high-rises to a discord of a Maxwell Street market.

INDIANA – Hoosiers
Folks in Indiana adore their basketball. Naturally, it’s tough to suppose this story of an loser group reaching for excellence operative half as good set anywhere else. Hoosiers also replicates a tempos of tiny city life in a 1950s with amatory accuracy.

IOWA - Field of Dreams
The coming of a full-size ball park in a center of an Iowa cornfield valid to be an suddenly enchanting steer in a film that offering some eminent truth and parochial heart to a Midwest setting.

KANSAS – Winchester ’73
Set in a legendary limit city of Dodge City, Winchester ’73 follows a cherished purloin as it travels from palm to hand, all while a wronged male is dynamic to find justice. Jimmy Stewart delivers a stately opening in this classical duration Western.

KENTUCKY – Coal Miner’s Daughter
Sissy Spacek warranted an Oscar for her opening as republic song idol Loretta Lynn. The film traces her tour from common beginnings in Butcher Hollow, Kentucky, to a theatre of a Grand Ol’ Opry.

LOUISIANA – Interview With a Vampire
The capricious ambience of New Orleans after dim was brought to life from Anne Rice’s novel to a large screen. For a record: Interview done vampires cold and voluptuous years before Twilight.

MAINE - The Shawshank Redemption
Stephen King, a unapproachable son of Maine, wrote a story that desirous this relocating story of dual group who find respect and goodness while portion time in prison. A sleeper strike on a initial release, time and word of mouth incited it into a classic.

MARYLAND – Diner
The initial of a handful of films author and executive Barry Levinson would set in his hometown of Baltimore, this gratifying comedy-drama follows 6 friends as they try to arrange out their futures, figure out women, and hearten a Colts on to victory.

MASSACHUSETTS – The Town
Director and star Ben Affleck grew adult in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and he didn’t skip a pretence in capturing a sum of life in a crime-driven Boston area of Charlestown in this instrumentation of Chuck Hogan’s novel Prince of Thieves.

MICHIGAN – Gran Torino
Clint Eastwood shot this film on plcae in Detroit, and his character’s crotchety rebuttal is a good embellishment for a city: Despite age and decay, he’s not going down though a fight, and for all his bark, he’s fiercely constant to those tighten to him.

MINNESOTA – Purple Rain
Released in a summer when Prince was battling Michael Jackson for tenure of a cocktail charts, Purple Rain offering a manly demeanour during travel life in Minneapolis, from a sweaty dance building during First Avenue to a cold waters of Lake Minnetonka.

MISSISSIPPI – Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Tennessee Williams desired his tales of melodrama in a Deep South, and this play of a Mississippi family opposed for a preference of a failing primogenitor is installed with regretful amour and smoldering sexuality, generally when Elizabeth Taylor is on screen.

MISSOURI – Waiting for Guffman
Christopher Guest’s mockumentary comedy is not usually a waggish joke of a foibles of village theater, though a smart mural of a lives of a handful of dreamers in a tiny city of Blaine, Missouri — footstool capitol of a world!

MONTANA – A River Runs Through It
Robert Redford’s story of dual really opposite brothers who share a passion for fly-fishing creates tillage Montana seem spectacular. The view is so lifelike one wonders if a state’s tourism business had a palm in a film.

NEBRASKA – Election
Before a 2013 comedy-drama he named after his home state, Alexander Payne wrote and destined this waggish and satirical domestic joke set in a Nebraska city usually large adequate to have dual sides of a tracks, though tiny adequate for one high propagandize clergyman to unwittingly emanate a city scandal.

NEVADA – Ocean’s Eleven
That singular instance of a reconstitute that surpasses a strange in scarcely each way, this hop could usually take place in Las Vegas, and a sights and sounds of Sin City are usually as critical as a film’s star-studded cast.

NEW HAMPSHIRE – What About Bob
Frank Oz’s comedy reveals usually how many fun a male like Bill Murray can have vacationing along a New Hampshire coastline. It also shows how tiny fun Richard Dreyfuss has looking after Bill (er, Bob), though it still looks like a good tiny summer town. Baby steps!

NEW JERSEY – Atlantic City
Burt Lancaster gave one of a best performances as a broken-down, small-time mafiosi who falls in with a pleasing lady with large dreams (Susan Sarandon). Atlantic City manages to make a gaming city demeanour both dirty and glamorous.

NEW MEXICO – High Noon
Taut and intelligent, this landmark Western plays out in genuine time as a lawman (Gary Cooper during his best) is forced to urge a tiny limit city in New Mexico from unfortunate gunmen, with tiny assistance from a citizenry.

NEW YORK – Manhattan
It’s no tip that Woody Allen loves New York City, and this loyalty to his home city is a catalog of all he favourite about a place, from Elaine’s and a Russian Tea Room to Bella Abzug and a carriage rides in Central Park.

NORTH CAROLINA – Bull Durham
An eager jubilee of America’s pastime, Bull Durham also shows a adore for a quirks and etiquette of a diversion as played on a teenager joining turn in Durham, North Carolina … that seems like a good place to be when we have special fans like Susan Sarandon.

NORTH DAKOTA – Fargo
Fargo, North Dakota, lent a name to one of a best and driest American comedies of a ’90s, in that a profound patrolman successfully uncovers a abduction scheme. And if we don’t let on that 95 percent of a film indeed takes place in Minnesota, we won’t either.

OHIO – Heathers
A black comedy that plays teen self-murder and high propagandize meant girls for laughs, Heathers is all a some-more immeasurable for being set in suburban Sherwood, Ohio, where a immature fashionistas and brooding rebels seem all a some-more out of step.

OKLAHOMA – The Outsiders
Francis Ford Coppola wasn’t fearful to play this instrumentation of S.E. Hinton’s novel on a extended regretful canvas, and a film’s Tulsa, Oklahoma, locations are usually as pleasing and imperishable as a story final — generally those stately sunsets.

OREGON – One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
This Oscar winning film was shot on plcae during a Oregon State Mental Hospital, with genuine patients expel in ancillary roles. When it came time to fire a fishing scene, a expel and organisation decamped to a bay in circuitously Depoe Bay.

PENNSYLVANIA – Groundhog Day
Without Punxsutawney’s favorite groundhog and his annual weather-predicting ritual, Bill Murray would have been deprived one of his excellent roles. This talented comedy celebrates a minutia of parochial life, not to discuss a Pennsylvania Polka.

RHODE ISLAND – Me, Myself, and Irene
In this comedy from Bobby and Peter Farrelly (two unapproachable sons of Rhode Island), Jim Carrey plays one of a excellent Rhode Island State Troopers to ever wear a uniform — during slightest until his other celebrity takes over.

SOUTH CAROLINA – Glory
The relocating story of a 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, a initial African-American quarrel section to quarrel in a Civil War, Glory follows a infantry as they infer their eagerness during wilful battles in James Island and Charleston Harbor.

SOUTH DAKOTA – North by Northwest
While Alfred Hitchcock’s classical action-adventure film takes favourite Roger O. Thornhill (Cary Grant) on a furious crow follow opposite a country, a many famous theatre finds him scrambling opposite a faces of Mount Rushmore. Be grateful Hitchcock didn’t follow by on his thought of carrying a vagrant vital in Abe Lincoln’s nose!

TENNESSEE – Nashville
One of a many critically acclaimed films of a 1970s, Robert Altman’s investigate of 24 characters over a few days in Music City used Nashville’s nightspots, recording studios, and unison venues as a theatre for a investigate of a republic struggling with post-Watergate malaise.

TEXAS – Giant
George Stevens’s epic story is as large as a Lone Star State itself, and uses a immeasurable plains as a pivotal visible motif. The state’s birthright in ranching and oil prolongation is also an critical partial of this story of love, wealth, and category in changing times.

UTAH – 127 Hours
Based on a loyal story of a hiker and canyoneer who faced a biggest plea of his life when he was trapped by a descending boulder, 127 Hours captures a grand healthy beauty of Moab’s Blue John Canyon, as good as a dangers that slink underneath a surface.

VERMONT – Dead Poets Society
Has any other film so entirely distant a suffocation of a elite, regressive New England prep school? Though a Vermont environment is a poetic anniversary backdrop for a students’s artistic metamorphoses, it does zero to palliate a angst of a film’s many darker second half. Oh captain, my captain.

VIRGINIA – Donnie Darko
Richard Kelly’s cult favorite about a uneasy immature male and a disproportionate bunny that haunts him is set in Middlesex, Virginia. The writer-director is pronounced to have drawn his impulse from his childhood in Midlothian, a city not distant from Richmond.

WASHINGTON – Singles
Cameron Crowe shot this regretful comedy play in Seattle usually as a city’s song theatre was initial gaining national attention, and he happily finished adult with a film fueled by grunge usually as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were climbing a charts. (Members of both bands play bit tools in a movie.)

WEST VIRGINIA – We Are Marshall
Based on a loyal story of football manager Jack Lengyel, who rebuilt a Marshall University football group months after a catastrophic craft pile-up took a lives of 42 players and coaching staff, this film celebrates not usually a persistence of Lengyel and his team, though also a intense support of a people of West Virginia during a time of tragedy.

WISCONSIN – Lars and a Real Girl
The story of a male in adore with a picturesque sex doll could simply be played for cheap laughs, though Lars and a Real Girl manages to be comfortable and moving, generally as a people of a tiny Wisconsin tillage village come together to assistance a film’s socially ungainly protagonist.

WYOMING – Butch Cassidy and a Sundance Kid
One of a best and funniest westerns ever made, Butch Cassidy follows dual outlaws operative their trade usually as a Wild West is settling down. The beauty of a Wyoming view is a absolute contrariety to a movie’s filthy final sequences in Bolivia.

It's crazy to me that pervy directors are still lauded.

NY should be Taxi Driver imo, get that stain Allen out of our collective memory.

ETA: what six-year-old wrote this? "Gone with a Wind?"

Last edited by a moderator:
PENNSYLVANIA – Groundhog DayWithout Punxsutawney’s favorite groundhog and his annual weather-predicting ritual, Bill Murray would have been deprived one of his excellent roles. This talented comedy celebrates a minutia of parochial life, not to discuss a Pennsylvania Polka.
:bs: Everybody knows the correct answer is Night of the Living Dead.

Yahoo is republishing a list it put together last year of 50 movies for 50 states, one movie to represent each of the United States of America.

It's a patriotic display of 50 great films — each set in a different state of the Union. Together they form an epic saga of triumph, tragedy, and comedy.
WASHINGTON – Singles

Cameron Crowe shot this regretful comedy play in Seattle usually as a city’s song theatre was initial gaining national attention, and he happily finished adult with a film fueled by grunge usually as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were climbing a charts. (Members of both bands play bit tools in a movie.)
I liked Singles, I thought it was a good movie, it was right in my wheelhouse.

I'm also just glad they didn't pick Twilight

NY should be Taxi Driver imo, get that stain Allen out of our collective memory.

ETA: what six-year-old wrote this? "Gone with a Wind?"
Tons of typos in there. Ugh.

Holy crap there IS a crapload of typos.

ARIZONA Raising Arizona

The Coen Brothers infer their wit is as dry as a Arizona feverishness in this flick, installed with follow scenes that all though surpass a aged Road Runner cartoons.

:lmao: wat?

Eta: got the text list from a Minnesota newspaper site, which added the descriptions to the yahoo list.

For oregon..I will go with animal house and stand by me. I will admit I am biased though because they were filmed where I grew up.

Giant is a good choice for Texas. Lonesome Dove if that counts as a movie. Last Picture Show nipping not far behind.

New Jersey should be On the Waterfront
"It is based on Crime on the Waterfront, a series of articles published in the New York Sun by Malcolm Johnson that won the 1949 Pulitzer Prize for Local Reporting. The stories detailed widespread corruption, extortion, and racketeering on the waterfronts of Manhattan and Brooklyn."

:confused: I never saw it though...maybe a lot of it takes place in NJ?
I don't know about the underlying articles, but the movie was filmed in Hoboken.

ETA: link

Louisiana should either be Streetcar Named Desire or, if they want to avoid New-Orleans-centric flicks, Steel Magnolias.

PENNSYLVANIA – Groundhog DayWithout Punxsutawney’s favorite groundhog and his annual weather-predicting ritual, Bill Murray would have been deprived one of his excellent roles. This talented comedy celebrates a minutia of parochial life, not to discuss a Pennsylvania Polka.
:bs: Everybody knows the correct answer is Night of the Living Dead.
Plus they decided Punxsutawney sucked and filmed it in Illinois.

It all happened one night in Modesto, California, as a handful of teenagers sought tour on a eve of a scattered ’60s. American Graffiti stays a stately evocation of a time and a place.
The Big Lebowski or Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

For Maryland:

Major League II was actually filmed at Camden Yards, does that count?

Wedding Crashers - "Crabcakes & football, that's what Maryland does!"

Another of Scorcese's, Goodfellas, would work well, too.
It's funny how, in damning a creep like Allen, other movies chosen for NY are about a psychopath, a crime family of greedy psychopaths, and my choice of white collar crime.

We should just combine our choices and elect American Psycho for NY. BAM! Greedy White Collar Psychopath! :lmao:

The Big Lebowski or Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Winner.

There Will Be Blood is a good recent choice too.

Does Virginia get D.C.? The list would be endless.

I'd submit, "Lawless" or "Greased Lightning" since they focused on my hometown area of Virginia.

Louisiana - Miller's Crossing (I think it was set in New Orleans)

Texas - As previously mention, The Last Picture Show. Also No Country For Old Men fits too

Kansas - The Wizard of Oz ... biggest whiff on the original list.

New York - Midnight Cowboy

Does Virginia get D.C.? The list would be endless.

I'd submit, "Lawless" or "Greased Lightning" since they focused on my hometown area of Virginia.
I'm sure you've read the book Lawless was based on? Really good stuff, called The Wettest County in the World

Love Heathers but it doesnt remind me of Ohio at all. How about Rain Man?

Raymond: "I get my boxer shorts at K-Mart in Cincinnati"

Charlie: "We're not going back to Cincinnati, Ray, so don't even start with that"

Raymond:"Gotta get my boxer shorts at K-Mart"

Charlie: [Pulls over, gets out of the car and yells] WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE YOU BUY UNDERWEAR? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? UNDERWEAR IS UNDERWEAR! IT IS UNDERWEAR WHEREVER YOU BUY IT! IN CINCINNATI OR WHEREVER!

Users who are viewing this thread