What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

9 out of 10 Packers agree (1 Viewer)

Franknbeans

Footballguy
loves to play the game more than anything, money is too good

at least according to Pat Kirwin on NFLRadio. He said that the insiders on the team seem to think he'll return :football:

Probably be best for the Packers in the long run if he does come back. I'm a huge fan of letting your QB of the future sit for at least two years.

Favre wants the single season INT record. I think he as a good shot at it in 2006.
If there is a record that will never be broke, my guess is that it will be George Blanda's 42 INT's. I just can't see any team staying with a QB long enough to break it, no matter who the QB is.

The prevailing sentiment in this thread seems to be that the Pack would be better off with Aaron Rodgers than with Favre. Which is laughable.

The prevailing sentiment in this thread seems to be that the Pack would be better off with Aaron Rodgers than with Favre. Which is laughable.
Not necessarily."Some" think that for all the good Favre has done for the Packers, it is just time. Time to start a real rebuilding process. And if Favre does go, the Packers have an extra $8 million to spend, so an argument can be made that they can fill a couple gaps on a team without much talent at all.

I think that Bret Favre was absolutely at his worst last year when he was forced to carry the team. Last year, the Pack repeatedly lost their RBs and went the whole year without their top WR and a soild TE. Their OL was new together and did not do well. Bret already forced too many throws and he last year he raised that to an art form when he felt he was the only option.

If their line is improved at all and he gets Javon Walker and a consistent running game back, he will drasticly improve and all the "waited too long to retire" talk will fade away.

I watched a lot of Packer games last year and the guy did all he could with what he had to work with ... which wasn't much. Yes, he took too many chances and made some big mistakes. On the other hand, he was trying to make plays with some very pedestrian talent on his side of the ball.

I think he's still one of the top ten or so QBs in football and next year will be a big bounce-back season for him if he decides to return.

And he will be back. Mark it down.

I expect him to come back in 2006.

He's the type that would have wanted to announce his retirement at the Super Bowl or some other major event. If not for himself, then for the Packer fans.

Next chance is at the NFL draft for the national spotlight to make the announcement.

from PFW...

The Packers have no timetable for Brett Favre to indicate whether he will play next season or not. Head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson both have talked at length with Favre, agent Bus Cook and members of Favre’s extended family. McCarthy remains “optimistic” that Favre will play in 2006. With or without him, the Packers will consider drafting another quarterback with the fifth overall pick, Thompson said, reinforcing a promise that he intends to stick to his own philosophy to draft the best athlete available, regardless of the position.

NFL Report: Favre return looking likely

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

News from around the league

What's it like going to Brett Favre's 460-acre spread in Hattiesburg, Miss.?

"It's just like you would think," Packers coach Mike McCarthy says. "You pull up in the car, and he comes pulling up in the tractor and he's got a big chainsaw. He's been cutting down trees. It's 11 in the morning, and he has to be in Hattiesburg to meet Laura Bush for a function, and here it is two hours before and he's all greasy and grimy. It's vintage Brett Favre."

Favre appears to be leaning toward returning. He has said he wants to see what the Packers do in free agency and the draft before deciding on a 16th season.

"He said he needs to be 100% sure," McCarthy says. "He knows what he has to put in to play the way he plays. I'm an optimist. I think the glass is half full. It's about him and his family."

I expect him to come back in 2006.

He's the type that would have wanted to announce his retirement at the Super Bowl or some other major event. If not for himself, then for the Packer fans.

Next chance is at the NFL draft for the national spotlight to make the announcement.
Ummm...I think he is completely the opposite type of guy.Not wanting to do that all for himself...not wanting the "victory lap" type of year going out.

It would not shock me to have him leave like this without the fanfare of a year going out.

And that is based on things he has always done and said...not sure where you got your idea from given what he has done before...

"It's just like you would think," Packers coach Mike McCarthy says. "You pull up in the car, and he comes pulling up in the tractor and he's got a big chainsaw. He's been cutting down trees. It's 11 in the morning, and he has to be in Hattiesburg to meet Laura Bush for a function, and here it is two hours before and he's all greasy and grimy. It's vintage Brett Favre."

Favre appears to be leaning toward returning. He has said he wants to see what the Packers do in free agency and the draft before deciding on a 16th season.

"He said he needs to be 100% sure," McCarthy says. "He knows what he has to put in to play the way he plays. I'm an optimist. I think the glass is half full. It's about him and his family."
If that's the case, Favre should be leaning towards retirement! GB has not done a whole in FA to help him out. If they do as well in the draft, Brett will announce his retirement May 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:

If that's the case, Favre should be leaning towards retirement! GB has not done a whole in FA to help him out. If they do as well in the draft, Brett will announce his retirement May 1st.
Won't his decision have a significant impact on what they do in the draft and/or FA? They probably wouldn't draft a QB with Rodgers in the wings (although it seems they are only lukewarm on him), but they'd for damn sure want to sign a veteran free agent right?

I was not aware that free agency has ended.

Packers | Favre asks for team to be active in free agency

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:40:14 -0800

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre has told the Packers' front office to become more active in free agency and he will return to the team.

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre has told the Packers' front office to become more active in free agency and he will return to the team.
:thumbup:

:thumbdown: Favre is not the GM. He should retire already...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably be best for the Packers in the long run if he does come back. I'm a huge fan of letting your QB of the future sit for at least two years.
Yeah, I agree with that philosophy.A 2nd year QB can't win anything... :nerd:

little too late for that :P

Is Packer management trying to send Favre a message that they want him to retire? He has made a couple of demands this offseason such as keeping Sherman and being active in free agency, and neither of them have happened.

Is Packer management trying to send Favre a message that they want him to retire? He has made a couple of demands this offseason such as keeping Sherman and being active in free agency, and neither of them have happened.
Actualy, the 'keeping Sherman' bit was during the season, and he backed off those statements later in the year. (Obviously knowing there was a good chance Sherman would be gone and wanting to keep his options open.)

Actualy, the 'keeping Sherman' bit was during the season, and he backed off those statements later in the year. (Obviously knowing there was a good chance Sherman would be gone and wanting to keep his options open.)
Once he knew they were going to call his bluff.

Dem Packers been as busy in free cajuncy as a fat ol' gator in da afternoon sun! Guess ol' Brett be stayin' home dis fall.Best be lookin' fer a QB right about now...

I now agree 100%. He has absolutely no business telling Ted Thompson to be active in free agency. Get over yourself. Brett, you're losing a fan today. I'm going to read the entire article with this quote for context, but it just burns my butt to hear this crap. Let Thompson do his job, which would surely be easier if you made up your damn mind.

I used to love Brett Favre. Now he's just midly annoying.

Leave, Brett, you've worn out your welcome...

:rolleyes: Let it go Farve, you are sounding almost as selfish as J Walker.

There is no logical reason for it, but the more I read that statement, the more I hope Thompson takes Cutler at #5. That would be hilarious...

Is that a direct quote from Favre or is Mort paraphrasing? Let's not jump to conclusions people.

I now agree 100%. He has absolutely no business telling Ted Thompson to be active in free agency. Get over yourself. Brett, you're losing a fan today. I'm going to read the entire article with this quote for context, but it just burns my butt to hear this crap. Let Thompson do his job, which would surely be easier if you made up your damn mind.
Whoa. Really? You really feel that way? I ask because I talked to 3 other Packer fans today and they all had the same sort of comments. I thought the guy had a free pass for life...I think the speed at which franchises have been able to 'rebuild' in recent years is hurting Favre's case for returning. The feeling I get from Packer fans is, "I would love to watch Brett for another year. He's my all-time favorite player and it will be awful when he leaves. But we would probably be closer to getting back to the top if he would go at this point." Not saying I agree or disagree...just an observation of a completely differnt off-season feel in Packerland this time around.

Whoa. Really? You really feel that way? I ask because I talked to 3 other Packer fans today and they all had the same sort of comments. I thought the guy had a free pass for life...
Yes, I really do. Everyone has a breaking point right? I was willing to give him a free pass, but now essentially calling out the GM less than a week into free agency? That's ridiculous and selfish. I've defended the guy full force the last few years, but I don't get how this helps Green Bay at all? I'm probably in the minority, but I have no problem with Ted Thompson's approach at this very early stage of free agency. That might change in a month, but right now I'm patient.....

Whoa. Really? You really feel that way? I ask because I talked to 3 other Packer fans today and they all had the same sort of comments. I thought the guy had a free pass for life...
Yes, I really do. Everyone has a breaking point right? I was willing to give him a free pass, but now essentially calling out the GM less than a week into free agency? That's ridiculous and selfish. I've defended the guy full force the last few years, but I don't get how this helps Green Bay at all? I'm probably in the minority, but I have no problem with Ted Thompson's approach at this very early stage of free agency. That might change in a month, but right now I'm patient.....
Again is this a direct quote from Favre or is Mort paraphrasing. I'm guessing the conversation went something like..Mort - "Are you coming back Brett?"

Brett - "I'm still not sure...I like to see if the Packers are rebuilding this year or serious about contending."

Mort - "So you'd like to see the Packers become more active in free agency?"

Brett - "Yes"

If that's the case I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I would have a problem with Brett if he flat out said "I won't come back unless we start becoming active in free agency."

I guess I'd like to read the article or hear the quote from Favre before I pass judgement.

Oh and they just signed Ryan Pickett.

I love to see him play for two more years, add to his growing list of INT's, plus two easy games for Da Bears :banned:
Funny, because even with half our team on IR, neither game was 'easy' for you this year... :rolleyes:

Again is this a direct quote from Favre or is Mort paraphrasing. I'm guessing the conversation went something like..

Mort - "Are you coming back Brett?"

Brett - "I need 26 or so TD's to pass Marino. What do you think I'm going to do, you bonehead."

Mort - "So you'd like to break Marino's record this year and then retire.?"

Brett - "Yes"

Mort - 'What about winning?"

Brett - "That's secondary. Did you even watch me toss INT after INT in the endzone last year trying to score? I wasn't trying to win ya know. We totally sucked."
Fixed. Move over Marino.

Once he knew they were going to call his bluff.
:no:

Again is this a direct quote from Favre or is Mort paraphrasing.  I'm guessing the conversation went something like..

Mort - "Are you coming back Brett?"

Brett - "I need 26 or so TD's to pass Marino. What do you think I'm going to do, you bonehead."

Mort - "So you'd like to break Marino's record this year and then retire.?"

Brett - "Yes"

Mort - 'What about winning?"

Brett - "That's secondary. Did you even watch me toss INT after INT in the endzone last year trying to score? I wasn't trying to win ya know. We totally sucked."
Fixed. Move over Marino.
Another clueless post

Looking in the mirror buddy? That's what I thought.
Favre has been very clear countless times that he doesn't play football for the records and they are meaningless to him. Of course, for the Favre haters, they don't pay attention to facts. :yes:

Is that a direct quote from Favre or is Mort paraphrasing? Let's not jump to conclusions people.
I saw the piece on ESPN this morning and it had no news value whatsoever. Mort never said he spoke with Favre and was vague on who his source is. It was along the lines of, "I hear that Favre wants to play again this season but wants the Packers to improve the team in free agency..." Mort also broke the shocking news that Favre had recent discussions with Packer management regarding their free agency moves. It was a complete non-story and no more than speculation by Mort.

I saw the piece on ESPN this morning and it had no news value whatsoever. Mort never said he spoke with Favre and was vague on who his source is. It was along the lines of, "I hear that Favre wants to play again this season but wants the Packers to improve the team in free agency..." Mort also broke the shocking news that Favre had recent discussions with Packer management regarding their free agency moves. It was a complete non-story and no more than speculation by Mort.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread