What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

Do you know EVERYBODY?!?!!!
never been to a theme park, never raised a family nor worked in an office, have hustled since i was 8, been on my own since 15. AND, for whatever its faults, my generation broke history everywhere it could and my sense of how big that was kept me putting myself out there as close to the crest of the cultural high tide as i could ride. didnt have enough talent to make history of my own, but did have enough to be useful to the folks & orgs who did. yeah, it's Gumpy as #### and i wanna shrug half the time i'm telling it, but that's what it is.

never been to a theme park, never raised a family nor worked in an office, have hustled since i was 8, been on my own since 15. AND, for whatever its faults, my generation broke history everywhere it could and my sense of how big that was kept me putting myself out there as close to the crest of the cultural high tide as i could ride. didnt have enough talent to make history of my own, but did have enough to be useful to the folks & orgs who did. yeah, it's Gumpy as #### and i wanna shrug half the time i'm telling it, but that's what it is.
The stories of your life that you share here are 1.01 ranked on this (or any) Internet forum imo. 

"Last Picture Show" Director (and occasional actor and Sopranos guest star) Peter Bogdanovich, 82.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once, many years ago. Struck me as kind and genuine. A real warm soul.
except for dumping most of "his" visual style by throwing over wife/partner Polly Platt for Cybill Shepherd (and, evil as it is to say, who can blame him?), i always enjoyed what he tried to do with & in film and his Plot Thickens podcasts for TCM shone great light on the auteur era of Hollywood. Rest in points.

except for dumping most of "his" visual style by throwing over wife/partner Polly Platt for Cybill

Shepherd

(and, evil as it is to say, who can blame him?), i always enjoyed what he tried to do with & in film and his  Plot Thickens podcasts for TCM shone great light on the auteur era of Hollywood. Rest in points.
I was with you until the end wikkid. . . shoulda been "Rest in Pictures"! :)

"Last Picture Show" Director (and occasional actor and Sopranos guest star) Peter Bogdanovich, 82.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once, many years ago. Struck me as kind and genuine. A real warm soul.
Apparently he was a real local old Hollywood character and story teller...did impressions of Hitchcock, Welles, Huston, Durante, etc at parties.

For some, unimaginable pain pushes them to become hard and embittered. For others, it causes them to develop an unusually high level of empathy. He became the latter. 

Peter Bogdanovich, 82, Director Whose Career Was a Hollywood Drama, Dies

Interesting read. His life was filled with so much tragedy. Dorothy Stratten was living with him when her estranged husband murdered her. Suffered a series of critical and box office flops as a director. Declared bankruptcy twice. Simply a man of uncommon resilience.

except for dumping most of "his" visual style by throwing over wife/partner Polly Platt for Cybill Shepherd (and, evil as it is to say, who can blame him?), i always enjoyed what he tried to do with & in film and his Plot Thickens podcasts for TCM shone great light on the auteur era of Hollywood. Rest in points.

Apparently he was a real local old Hollywood character and story teller...did impressions of Hitchcock, Welles, Huston, Durante, etc at parties.

Loved watching interviews with him - or by him. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of the film industry - I could listen to him for hours. He had an endearing quality of insatiable curiosity. When he was in his 20s he was a film critic and wrote a series of biographies for MoMA on various directors (Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, et al.) Later he wrote a biography of John Ford -  this was all before he became a director. Besides TLPS he also directed two semi-obscure favorites of mine, Paper Chase and Mask.

Dammit, Mr Poitier is one of the greats. Played some awesome characters in his career.

I met Lulu while stationed at Lakenheath, England back in '99 or 2000....don't quite remember.  It was during a pub crawl in Bury St. Edmunds.  I believe that's where the Magna Carta was signed.  There was a small spot dubbed the 'smallest pub in England'....called The Nutshell.  Also, a local brewery there sells an IPA called Greene KIng, so my wife/daughters bought me a football jersey from there...since it's spelled the same as my last name :).  Great memory of chatting with Lulu about the movie and Dusty Springfield and buying her a pint of Taylor's. Don't remember why we got around to talking about Dusty??? Was pretty blasted by then.   :banned:

She told me he was super professional, and embarrassingly polite to EVERYONE, even the lowest ranking of the filming crew. 

Through the years, as I've played 'To SIr With Love' my wife/kids would always say.....'there he goes playing that 'corny-a**ed' music again'.  :bag:

Don't care, as I've loved it since first seeing the movie as a child, and will always enjoy it. 

By far my best anecdotal 'war story' from my military days. Sipping a Modelo now, and it will have to do. 

Going forward, I'll always remember the world losing Miss White and Mr Poitier during this week.

Cheers

Sucks. Not a fan of his comedy at all (may be my least favorite) but saddened by his death. No drugs or foul play suspected. Thinking heart attack but just speculation. RIP Bob

Eephus said:
R&B and Jazz musician James Mtume died at age 76.  He played percussion on some of Miles Davis' funkiest 70s efforts and went on to a solo R&B career in the 80s.  His biggest hit was the classic 1983 babymaker "Juicy Fruit" which went on to be sampled frequently by Hip Hop producers.
Hells yeah

Eephus said:
R&B and Jazz musician James Mtume died at age 76.  He played percussion on some of Miles Davis' funkiest 70s efforts and went on to a solo R&B career in the 80s.  His biggest hit was the classic 1983 babymaker "Juicy Fruit" which went on to be sampled frequently by Hip Hop producers.
Also wrote Donny Hathaway/Roberta Flack's 'The Closer I Get to You'

Users who are viewing this thread