What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A co-worker hit my car. AMA! (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
A few weeks ago I was going to lunch with a co-worker (who I had previously worked with at another company... hellooooo referral bonus!) and as we were leaving the parking lot, another co-worker comes whippin' around off the main street into the driveway and clips my front/driver-side bumper. I was honestly in complete shock. We both get out of the car and my '20 Kia Sorento took most of the damage. I was going like MAYBE 2-3 MPH. He claimed he didn't see me (somehow) because I was under the breezeway (our building is 2 stories and you drive out a little breezeway from the back parking lot to the street so it's shaded).

He apologized profusely and told me he has insurance and would pay for everything as it was completely his fault. I inspected the damage and figured it was OK to drive so I went to lunch w/ the other co-worker but could barely converse 'cuz I was so ticked off.

He is the "driver" or "assistant" to the patriarch of the company (started it 51 years ago and his son is now President/CEO). After lunch he gave me all his info and I took photos.

Today I FINALLY got my car to the body shop. Initially he said that he would have to pay out-of-pocket to get me a rental, but turns out he got his insurance company to foot the bill instead.

I own very few "nice" things. I have only had a fresh-from-dealer new car one other time in my life. I bought this Sorento after getting a much better, higher-paying job and absolutely love this car.

So yeah, I was ticked and I am hopeful this body shop is the shiznit and makes it look exactly like new.

Thoughts? Shtick?

I’ve only had a couple new cars in my life, but always liked getting the first fender bender out of the way. Sure, it’s annoying immediately after an accident, but dings and dents liberate you from worrying about the vehicle. You were fortunate to go a couple years before adding character to your Kia. Make sure it runs OK, and embrace the new opportunities afforded by driving a “beater”.

A few weeks ago I was going to lunch with a co-worker (who I had previously worked with at another company... hellooooo referral bonus!) and as we were leaving the parking lot, another co-worker comes whippin' around off the main street into the driveway and clips my front/driver-side bumper. I was honestly in complete shock. We both get out of the car and my '20 Kia Sorento took most of the damage. I was going like MAYBE 2-3 MPH. He claimed he didn't see me (somehow) because I was under the breezeway (our building is 2 stories and you drive out a little breezeway from the back parking lot to the street so it's shaded).

He apologized profusely and told me he has insurance and would pay for everything as it was completely his fault. I inspected the damage and figured it was OK to drive so I went to lunch w/ the other co-worker but could barely converse 'cuz I was so ticked off.

He is the "driver" or "assistant" to the patriarch of the company (started it 51 years ago and his son is now President/CEO). After lunch he gave me all his info and I took photos.

Today I FINALLY got my car to the body shop. Initially he said that he would have to pay out-of-pocket to get me a rental, but turns out he got his insurance company to foot the bill instead.

I own very few "nice" things. I have only had a fresh-from-dealer new car one other time in my life. I bought this Sorento after getting a much better, higher-paying job and absolutely love this car.

So yeah, I was ticked and I am hopeful this body shop is the shiznit and makes it look exactly like new.

Thoughts? Shtick?
get it repaired at the dealership

Thoughts? Shtick?

It was going to be a hassle getting it done anywhere but where his insurance company had as suggested shops. I did a good bit of research and found a local place with excellent reviews. Plus, being a shop that this insurance company recommended means the repairs are guaranteed for life.

Also, knowing how the local Kia dealership is, it would have been summertime before I got my car back.

Thoughts? Shtick?

It was going to be a hassle getting it done anywhere but where his insurance company had as suggested shops. I did a good bit of research and found a local place with excellent reviews. Plus, being a shop that this insurance company recommended means the repairs are guaranteed for life.

Also, knowing how the local Kia dealership is, it would have been summertime before I got my car back.

Now ask them if they’re using OEM parts or “like kind and quality” (cheap Chinese made parts that are inferior due to not having millions of dollars worth of professional engineering behind them).

In case you can’t tell I LOATH these situations. Next time I’m in an accident I’m just gonna sell my car and buy a new one.

@nirad3 sorry to hear.

We were hit nearly head on about two weeks ago at a 4 way stop. Car is totaled. Now the other party is claiming right of way 😡
Camera, GB - get one.

@nirad3 sorry to hear.

We were hit nearly head on about two weeks ago at a 4 way stop. Car is totaled. Now the other party is claiming right of way 😡
Camera, GB - get one.
I’m starting to think about that for our cars. How expensive/PIA to install are they?

seriously. My wife has never been in an accident, and my last one was about 20+ years ago when a raccoon ran under my car on the highway.

@nirad3 sorry to hear.

Camera, GB - get one.
I’m starting to think about that for our cars. How expensive/PIA to install are they?
I bought a $60 camera ( I wanted something very small and unobtrusive), $20 wire kit to run the power to the fusebox, and a $10 memory card. So ~$100 all told. Honestly it wasn't a huge deal to run the wire behind all the plastic, etc. Biggest PIA was locating and plugging into the right fuse slot. Need an empty one and I wanted one that was on when the car is only (not an always on one). But even that wasn't too bad. If you want I can dig up the links for reference.

I'm actually taking my SUV into the body shop today. About a month ago my mother in law backed into my car in her driveway. Her insurance is taking care of the damage and rental but I'm not excited about the prospect of an accident showing up on a carfax for my vehicle now. That will drop the value some. Not sure if it will since there was no police involved, but from some quick google searching, it is possible.

I'm actually taking my SUV into the body shop today. About a month ago my mother in law backed into my car in her driveway. Her insurance is taking care of the damage and rental but I'm not excited about the prospect of an accident showing up on a carfax for my vehicle now. That will drop the value some. Not sure if it will since there was no police involved, but from some quick google searching, it is possible.
If insurance is involved the VIN is part of the paper trail, anytime the barcode is scanned inside the drivers door the VIN's file gets pinged in the cloud.

If insurance is involved the VIN is part of the paper trail, anytime the barcode is scanned inside the drivers door the VIN's file gets pinged in the cloud.
That is what I figured. Any idea how long that takes to show up? I thought about taking that car out as soon as it gets fixed, getting it dirty and trading it right in before the car fax shows up. :cautious:

@nirad3 sorry to hear.

Camera, GB - get one.
I bought a $60 camera ( I wanted something very small and unobtrusive), $20 wire kit to run the power to the fusebox, and a $10 memory card. So ~$100 all told. Honestly it wasn't a huge deal to run the wire behind all the plastic, etc. Biggest PIA was locating and plugging into the right fuse slot. Need an empty one and I wanted one that was on when the car is only (not an always on one). But even that wasn't too bad. If you want I can dig up the links for reference.
My wife and I work from home and my boys don’t drive much but damn it sounds like people are driving like lunatics out there.

@nirad3 sorry to hear.

Camera, GB - get one.
My wife and I work from home and my boys don’t drive much but damn it sounds like people are driving like lunatics out there.

yes... common rules of the road are not being adhered to.

Thoughts? Shtick?

no way do i use "their guy". i get 3 or more quotes, including their guy the dealer and a few more. pick a figure just under the dealers price and have them cut me a check. then i fix it in santa ana and pocket the rest. :D or have it done at the place of your choosing, using quality parts.

Just stopping by to say that Liberty Mutual's customer service is abysmal. The whole "pay for what you need" must really be a thing...

Got it back from the body shop and the work is totally clean. Can't even tell the difference. Super impressed and happy. It sucked having to go through the hassle of taking it in, dealing with a crappy insurance company (Liberty Mutual - terrible customer service) and the rental car but things happen.

Users who are viewing this thread